Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. 16:16 - Jan 22 with 5133 viewsWxmJax

Big Brexit supporter but nothing to do with Brexit apparently.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:38 - Jan 22 with 1190 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:21 - Jan 22 by Highjack

Nothing to do with the fact Singapore doesn’t have a minimum wage and people will work 44 hour weeks for about 25 quid?

Nope. Moving the HQ doesn’t affect his factories. They are already in Malaysia and have been for years.

It’s all go do with tax and tariffs that may arise on a no deal Brexit.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:39 - Jan 22 with 1186 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:30 - Jan 22 by Jango

Dyson has also approached the U.K. government about a 350 million-pound ($453 million) expansion to its U.K. testing site.

50% of Dysons revenue already comes from Asia. Absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

It’s has absolutely everything to do with Brexit.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:40 - Jan 22 with 1182 viewsGwyn737

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:35 - Jan 22 by londonlisa2001

Oh dear God.

Moving their HQ has nothing to do with 2 jobs.

It’s moving their centre of taxation - the company’s tax base will now be Singapore (c. £95m last year) - no great change for the company as the corporation tax rate is only 2% lower than ours, but a huge blow for the U taxpayer, and more importantly for the company, also accessing the free trade deal that Singapore has with the EU to protect themselves against possible tariffs. They will now export to the EU from Singapore rather than running the risk of the EU deeming them to be exporting from the UK - It has everything to do with Brexit.

This. My point only made far better.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 22:38 - Jan 22 with 1123 viewsWarwickHunt

Oh dear God.

It’s moving their centre of taxation - the company’s tax base will now be Singapore (c. £95m last year) - no great change for the company as the corporation tax rate is only 2% lower than ours, but a huge blow for the U taxpayer, and more importantly for the company, also accessing the free trade deal that Singapore has with the EU to protect themselves against possible tariffs. They will now export to the EU from Singapore rather than running the risk of the EU deeming them to be exporting from the UK - It has everything to do with Brexit.

Thick Brexiters reinforcing the thicker than mince Brexiter stereotype. Again.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 08:36 - Jan 23 with 1026 viewsJango

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 20:38 - Jan 22 by londonlisa2001

Nope. Moving the HQ doesn’t affect his factories. They are already in Malaysia and have been for years.

It’s all go do with tax and tariffs that may arise on a no deal Brexit.

If it’s all to do with taxes and tariffs then you’ll agree this move would have happened regardless of Brexit. You were all very quiet before Xmas when Chanel announced they were moving their global HQ to London.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 08:44 - Jan 23 with 1015 viewspikeypaul

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 08:36 - Jan 23 by Jango

If it’s all to do with taxes and tariffs then you’ll agree this move would have happened regardless of Brexit. You were all very quiet before Xmas when Chanel announced they were moving their global HQ to London.

Jango, just put fat arse on ignore and silence the hypocrite of course she would not mention Chanel it goes against her agenda.

65 AFLI

SIUYRL

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:19 - Jan 23 with 1004 viewsItchySphincter

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 17:47 - Jan 22 by felixstowe_jack

Doubt it is anything to do Brexit Singapore was not in the EU last time I locked

FFS.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:47 - Jan 23 with 991 viewsLegend83

Oh dear God.

I don't disagree with the possible motives but a "huge" blow to the UK taxpayer? It's about 0.076% of the annual NHS spend. A drop in the ocean of Government finances.

The 4,000 employees that remain in the UK will continue to pay tax and spend money etc.

Symbolically it's a terrible move and terrible timing but it looks like good business sense to me, which let's face it will always be prioritized over any political allegiance.
Login to get fewer ads

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:50 - Jan 23 with 989 viewsAnotherJohn

Oh dear God.

Singapore's FTA with China is probably just as much a factor.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:55 - Jan 23 with 988 viewsLeonWasGod

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 17:47 - Jan 22 by felixstowe_jack

Doubt it is anything to do Brexit Singapore was not in the EU last time I locked

I suspect it's got something to do with this - https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2018/10/15/eu-singapore-

It's looks blatantly like risk management around the potential of no deal to me, although obviously the guarantee of no job loses and further investment in the UK is good news. Given the political sensitivity they can't come out and say it's Brexit. The words in that statement have been very carefully chosen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46962093. The tax is interesting, as whilst they state "The tax difference is negligible for us," the key word there is "us" (Dyson). It'll be very different for the UK, as they'll now be paying their corporation tax there (£95 m last year); I'm surprised the BBC don't challenge that statement but seem to reinforce it.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:58 - Jan 23 with 984 viewsLeonWasGod

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:50 - Jan 23 by AnotherJohn

Singapore's FTA with China is probably just as much a factor.

Yep, quite a lot of positives really. They get frictionless access to 2 of the 3 largest markets in the world.

You can see why they want to move.

'Global Britain' ?
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 10:05 - Jan 23 with 979 viewsLegend83

Maybe he thinks there is a good risk a Corbyn Labour Government might get into power and wants to avoid a 10% seizure of his company...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/24/how-would-labour-plan-to-give-w

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 10:53 - Jan 23 with 946 viewsJackSomething

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 10:05 - Jan 23 by Legend83

Maybe he thinks there is a good risk a Corbyn Labour Government might get into power and wants to avoid a 10% seizure of his company...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/24/how-would-labour-plan-to-give-w

Classic Brexiteer trifecta achieved:

1) It's nothing to do with Brexit head in the sand position
2) It doesn't matter anyway, as it's only 0.0076% of some budget lost
3) It's all Corbyn's fault anyway

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 11:02 - Jan 23 with 937 viewsAce_Jack

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 10:53 - Jan 23 by JackSomething

and it only took a two pager to get there. I'm quite impressed.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 12:32 - Jan 23 with 901 viewsJango

Classic remainer blame everything on Brexit
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 12:36 - Jan 23 with 898 viewsLegend83

Sorry if it didn't come across as tongue-in-cheek as intended :).

I therefore I only hit one of the trifecta as acknowledged I agreed with what others think the motivation of Dyson is - to protect his business by moving to a country that will likely have more favorable trade conditions.

But I stand by my point on the tax - Dyson's £95m CT contributed to about 17 hours of the annual UK Government debt servicing.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 12:42 - Jan 23 with 889 viewsLegend83

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:26 - Jan 22 by majorraglan

JRM has moved one of Somereset Capitals funds to Dublin where it will be based.

Another big Brexit backer Chris Chandler who was New Sealand brn has secured himself a Maltese passport and the guy Banks has connections with the Isle of Man.

When you see the likes of this going on you have to wonder what’s going on.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 18:29]

Just a point of order here - Somerset Capital didn't "move" one of it's existing funds from the UK to Ireland, it set up a new fund in Ireland incremental to the existing ones.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 16:46 - Jan 23 with 831 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 08:36 - Jan 23 by Jango

No. We have tariff free access to the other EU countries at present.

If we leave without a deal, the EU will impose tariffs on exports from the UK to member states.

Singapore has tariff free access with the EU.

It’s not difficult.

I didn’t mention Chanel and I haven’t mentioned scores of other companies that have moved base at least partially from the UK. Panasonic as a recent example.
The reason I have mentioned Dyson is because James Dyson has campaigned loudly for a no deal Brexit and yet moves his own company as a result of its potential consequences. That’s rank hypocrisy. If you can’t see that, there’s nothing I can do about it.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 16:49 - Jan 23 with 824 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 09:47 - Jan 23 by Legend83

I don't disagree with the possible motives but a "huge" blow to the UK taxpayer? It's about 0.076% of the annual NHS spend. A drop in the ocean of Government finances.

The 4,000 employees that remain in the UK will continue to pay tax and spend money etc.

Symbolically it's a terrible move and terrible timing but it looks like good business sense to me, which let's face it will always be prioritized over any political allegiance.

Of course it’s good business sense.

Many other companies will do the same for the same reason.

But that’s not the point being made. The point being made is that James Dyson is a complete hypocrite for campaigning so loudly for a no deal Brexit and moving his own company to escape it.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:40 - Jan 23 with 769 viewsJango

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 16:46 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

No. We have tariff free access to the other EU countries at present.

If we leave without a deal, the EU will impose tariffs on exports from the UK to member states.

Singapore has tariff free access with the EU.

It’s not difficult.

I didn’t mention Chanel and I haven’t mentioned scores of other companies that have moved base at least partially from the UK. Panasonic as a recent example.
The reason I have mentioned Dyson is because James Dyson has campaigned loudly for a no deal Brexit and yet moves his own company as a result of its potential consequences. That’s rank hypocrisy. If you can’t see that, there’s nothing I can do about it.

You’ve missed my point.

With Singapore gaining tariff free access to EU and also having lower tax rates, coupled with the fact that Dusons manufacturing hub is in Singapore, 50% of dysons business comes from Asia and they plan on building the electric car and targeting the Asian market, this move would have happened whether we stayed in the EU or not. It’s not difficult.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:43 - Jan 23 with 761 viewsJango

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 16:49 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

Of course it’s good business sense.

Many other companies will do the same for the same reason.

But that’s not the point being made. The point being made is that James Dyson is a complete hypocrite for campaigning so loudly for a no deal Brexit and moving his own company to escape it.

That’s not the point you made though so don’t backtrack. You said the move was everything to do with Brexit, which it isn’t.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:52 - Jan 23 with 753 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:40 - Jan 23 by Jango

You’ve missed my point.

With Singapore gaining tariff free access to EU and also having lower tax rates, coupled with the fact that Dusons manufacturing hub is in Singapore, 50% of dysons business comes from Asia and they plan on building the electric car and targeting the Asian market, this move would have happened whether we stayed in the EU or not. It’s not difficult.

Nope.

The company’s head office location is irrelevant for the manufacturing. They’ve manufactured over there for ages.

They’ve done it for tax and Brexit reasons. The Brexit bit is the avoidance of tariffs. The tax bit is relatively marginal (for them, not for the UK) given we have corporation tax of 19% and they have corporation tax of 17%. The tariffs are the important bit.

If we’d stayed in the EU or strike a deal for free trade, the tariffs here will also be zero into the EU. They’re moving in case that’s not the case.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:57 - Jan 23 with 752 viewslondonlisa2001

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:43 - Jan 23 by Jango

That’s not the point you made though so don’t backtrack. You said the move was everything to do with Brexit, which it isn’t.

It’s not even a tiny backtrack. You just seem to refuse to understand.

Without Brexit we have no tariffs into the EU.

With a no deal Brexit we have tariffs.

They’ve moved to avoid the uncertainty. They can’t say it out loud (unlike other companies doing the same) because James Dyson has stated hundreds of times that a no deal Brexit is great for the UK. Largely because he’s the same hypocritical w*nker that he was when he suddenly declared he was an arch brexiteer after years of campaigning loudly in favour of the EU.
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 19:08 - Jan 23 with 745 viewsJango

Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 18:57 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

It’s not even a tiny backtrack. You just seem to refuse to understand.

Without Brexit we have no tariffs into the EU.

With a no deal Brexit we have tariffs.

They’ve moved to avoid the uncertainty. They can’t say it out loud (unlike other companies doing the same) because James Dyson has stated hundreds of times that a no deal Brexit is great for the UK. Largely because he’s the same hypocritical w*nker that he was when he suddenly declared he was an arch brexiteer after years of campaigning loudly in favour of the EU.

It’s not that I refuse to understand I just have a different view to you. With Singapore now getting free access to the EU then just maybe they would rather run the whole operation from over there and would have done so regardless of Brexit.

Look at it this way. If Brexit wasn’t happening and Dyson made this announcement, would you say it’s a bad business move?
Dyson HQ moving to Singapore. on 21:11 - Jan 23 with 708 viewsAnotherJohn

I still think this is more about access to the Chinese market via the other FTA. Dyson would obviously like to sell as much as he can in the EU, but believes that the 2017 directive on vacuum cleaners disadvantages his products in that market.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/66108/dyson-loses-lawsuit-over-eu-energy-tests

He has been looking more to the USA and Asia for sales growth.

Still awful timing for such a decision if he wants to assist the Leave cause, and not good for UK PLC.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024