Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daytime running lights 20:58 - Jan 26 with 5241 viewsjack2jack

Why do some manufacturers insist on fitting them, in order that they blind oncoming drivers,surely they don't need to be so bright.
Opinions/observations welcome.
Daytime running lights on 21:01 - Jan 26 with 4497 viewsFlashberryjack

Crazy!

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Daytime running lights on 21:14 - Jan 26 with 4466 viewsdickythorpe

Unfortunately it's a legal requirement.....or isn't it?
Daytime running lights on 21:21 - Jan 26 with 4443 viewsjack2jack

Daytime running lights on 21:14 - Jan 26 by dickythorpe

Unfortunately it's a legal requirement.....or isn't it?

Yes Dicky as from 2011, it was an EU directive.
Still think some are OTT
I believe Volvo were the first to have daytime running side lights, which were perfectly adequate, IMHO, but some cars are light up like Blackpool illuminations.
Daytime running lights on 21:31 - Jan 26 with 4425 viewsAndy1300

Daytime running lights on 21:21 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Still think some are OTT
I believe Volvo were the first to have daytime running side lights, which were perfectly adequate, IMHO, but some cars are light up like Blackpool illuminations.

Also, on the subject of lights.

Have you noticed how many drive without lights in the dark? I reckon it's because dash lights are always on now.

Number 1 team in Wales

Daytime running lights on 21:37 - Jan 26 with 4413 viewsdickythorpe

Air bag warning lights. Can the AA/RAC come out and put that computer thingy in to what used to be the fag lighter and clear any fault?
Daytime running lights on 21:54 - Jan 26 with 4375 viewsjack2jack

Daytime running lights on 21:37 - Jan 26 by dickythorpe

Air bag warning lights. Can the AA/RAC come out and put that computer thingy in to what used to be the fag lighter and clear any fault?

Im not an expert Dicky, check out this link might help
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-the-air-bag-light-
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 22:19]
Daytime running lights on 21:57 - Jan 26 with 4364 viewsjack2jack

Daytime running lights on 21:31 - Jan 26 by Andy1300

Also, on the subject of lights.

Have you noticed how many drive without lights in the dark? I reckon it's because dash lights are always on now.

Funnily enough me and the missus had this conversation last week.
Are you saying some dash boards light up without having your lights on???
If that's the case it's a stupid situation.
Daytime running lights on 23:13 - Jan 26 with 4290 viewsAndy1300

Daytime running lights on 21:57 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Funnily enough me and the missus had this conversation last week.
Are you saying some dash boards light up without having your lights on???
If that's the case it's a stupid situation.

Most if not all new cars, the only car I've had recently that didn't light up was a BMW

Number 1 team in Wales

Login to get fewer ads

Daytime running lights on 01:28 - Jan 27 with 4208 viewsJack59

The combination of daytime car lights and sleeping policemen often causes drivers to believe they've been flashed by oncoming drivers to proceed in front of them.
There are many places where this happens. One of the most dangerous places is when turning right eastbound on Walter Road near 'The Tenby' and waiting to take the street that takes you down to St Helens Road. There'a a pedestrian crossing within yards there as well. Its obviously a dangerous situation, but I suppose there will have to be a fatality before it can be considered.
Daytime running lights on 08:19 - Jan 27 with 4094 viewsAndy1300

Daytime running lights on 01:28 - Jan 27 by Jack59

The combination of daytime car lights and sleeping policemen often causes drivers to believe they've been flashed by oncoming drivers to proceed in front of them.
There are many places where this happens. One of the most dangerous places is when turning right eastbound on Walter Road near 'The Tenby' and waiting to take the street that takes you down to St Helens Road. There'a a pedestrian crossing within yards there as well. Its obviously a dangerous situation, but I suppose there will have to be a fatality before it can be considered.

That used to happen (flashing effect) with Volvos back in the day. It's not a new thing but is worse now

Number 1 team in Wales

Daytime running lights on 12:56 - Jan 27 with 3964 viewsMorfa_Same

It's not a legal requirement in the UK, though it is in some other counties (Sweden I think).

Statistically they cause accident rates to go up so I really don't know why manufacturers are fitting them, but many dealers will disable them if you ask.
Daytime running lights on 14:41 - Jan 27 with 3902 viewsCooperman

I’ve never seen day running lights that are bright enough to dazzle you when head on.

There are gadgets on the market that enable customisation of many features (lights included) on certain vehicles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-OBD2-Adapter-App/dp/B00YVHGTBM

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Daytime running lights on 15:16 - Jan 27 with 3862 viewsjack2jack

My point is,that,the combination of DRL's headlights and side lights,can and does dazzle, in certain circumstances,i.e. oncoming vehicles driving up hill or over speed cushions etc.These lights are utilised in the daytime and at night and can dazzle in my experience.
Just seems to me that the number of LED's used is excessive on some makes and models of cars.
Daytime running lights on 15:31 - Jan 27 with 3843 viewsAndy1300

Daytime running lights on 12:56 - Jan 27 by Morfa_Same

It's not a legal requirement in the UK, though it is in some other counties (Sweden I think).

Statistically they cause accident rates to go up so I really don't know why manufacturers are fitting them, but many dealers will disable them if you ask.

It’s an EU directive for all cars designed after 2010, they are supposed to dim when you put sidelights on, they can be too bright at night if they are still on full power without side lights on.

Number 1 team in Wales

Daytime running lights on 16:53 - Jan 27 with 3807 viewsexiledclaseboy

Daytime running lights on 12:56 - Jan 27 by Morfa_Same

Two things about that. They are a legal requirement in the UK and statistically they reduce the number of accidents.

Poll: Tory leader

Daytime running lights on 17:56 - Jan 27 with 3750 viewsPrivate_Partz

Daytime running lights on 01:28 - Jan 27 by Jack59

Yep. It happens to me often. My Kia Ceed has eight LEDs and they are as bright as hell.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Daytime running lights on 18:22 - Jan 27 with 3712 viewsMorfa_Same

Daytime running lights on 16:53 - Jan 27 by exiledclaseboy

Two things about that. They are a legal requirement in the UK and statistically they reduce the number of accidents.

The AA website states clearly that they are not a legal requirement in the UK.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/daytime-running-lights

The EU directive requires manufacturers to install them on new vehicles, but we are perfectly entitled to disable them.

It's a fact that some countries say an increase in accidents after daytime running lights were introduced and at least one European country actually banned them as a result.
Daytime running lights on 19:05 - Jan 27 with 3680 viewsexiledclaseboy

Daytime running lights on 18:22 - Jan 27 by Morfa_Same

The AA website states clearly that they are not a legal requirement in the UK.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/daytime-running-lights

The EU directive requires manufacturers to install them on new vehicles, but we are perfectly entitled to disable them.

It's a fact that some countries say an increase in accidents after daytime running lights were introduced and at least one European country actually banned them as a result.

It’s been a legal requirement to fit thenm to any new vehicles since about 2012. I didn’t say anything about retrofitting. I’m not sure about the legality of disabling them cut as they’re a requirement of type approval I’d imagine disabling them would be legally dubious. But I don’t know.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2019 20:17]

Daytime running lights on 20:10 - Jan 27 with 3631 viewsvalleyboy

Daytime running lights on 21:21 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Still think some are OTT

Exactly

Another one of their EU directives like they insist that bananas must be straight within a certain band before they go on sale

It makes you wonder how the UK managed on their own, before we was dull enough to join such a undemocratic organisation,
Daytime running lights on 20:21 - Jan 27 with 3614 viewsDarran

Daytime running lights on 20:10 - Jan 27 by valleyboy

Exactly

Another one of their EU directives like they insist that bananas must be straight within a certain band before they go on sale

It makes you wonder how the UK managed on their own, before we was dull enough to join such a undemocratic organisation,

Man? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Daytime running lights on 20:22 - Jan 27 with 3614 viewsexiledclaseboy

Exactly

Don’t forget the Eurosausage, or the “emulsified high fat offal tube” as the EU wanted to rename it.

Daytime running lights on 22:13 - Jan 27 with 3553 viewsBytholWyn

Exactly

Not still peddling that myth are you ?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/media/euromyths/bendybananas.html
Daytime running lights on 22:16 - Jan 27 with 3543 viewsBytholWyn

Nothing like some facts to illuminate an argument: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-runnin

Terrible isn't it that the EU are trying to reduce deaths by up to 6%.
Daytime running lights on 01:58 - Jan 28 with 3477 viewsmajorraglan

Daytime running lights on 19:05 - Jan 27 by exiledclaseboy

It’s been a legal requirement to fit thenm to any new vehicles since about 2012. I didn’t say anything about retrofitting. I’m not sure about the legality of disabling them cut as they’re a requirement of type approval I’d imagine disabling them would be legally dubious. But I don’t know.

If they were disabled it would mean that the vehicle has been modified and should be reported as such to the owners insurance. No doubt potentially incurring an increased premium.

Personally DRL’s don’t bother me, much more important stuff to be concerned about.
Daytime running lights on 09:14 - Jan 28 with 3393 viewskarnataka

Daytime running lights on 19:05 - Jan 27 by exiledclaseboy

Wouldn't an MOT cover things like that? In some cases, certain features are not legally mandatory but if they are fitted, they have to work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024