Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? 14:22 - May 19 with 4038 viewsMrSwerve

Manager with zero emotional ties to club jumps at opportunity to manage in the premier league with a vastly superior transfer budget and has been doing half decent in the PL up until last season.

Even if we’d offered Potter extra cash and budget, I’d still be surprised if he had stayed.

All this crap about him saying ‘you Jack b*stard’ and kissing the badge to the East stand, if anyone believed that then there are more mugs supporting us than I realised.

Excellent opportunity for Potter. I am gutted to have lost him, but that’s football. Really hope that Brighton come down next season.

Onwards and upwards.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 14:32 - May 19 with 3123 viewsPegojack

No, Swervey, I don't think most are surprised by Potter going.
I think the wailing and moaning is just sheer frustration at how far we've gone backwards as a club in a short time.
A couple of seasons ago we were one of the elite with player buying power and manager pulling power.
Now we're just a struggling, financially challenged Championship club with money grabbing, asset stripping owners. We all know we will find it hard to attract any decent manager, and we await this summer's player sell off.
Huw Jenkins and the Sellouts - taking us to the next level.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 14:33 - May 19 with 3104 viewsdobjack2

I think people are looking rationally at what the position is with us rather than potter.

May not have another chance at the premiership- would be a mug to turn it down.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 14:36 - May 19 with 3080 viewsjasper_T

We're in a better place than we were last summer.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:00 - May 19 with 2960 viewsdobjack2

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 14:36 - May 19 by jasper_T

We're in a better place than we were last summer.

Financially yes but on the pitch it depends on who is the manager, how many key players leave and who replaces them.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:09 - May 19 with 2903 viewsHighjack

I don’t blame him at all. It’s a massive opportunity for him to manage in the premier league, a chance most managers don’t get.

I’ve also been quite critical of him in a lot of ways. His bizarre team selections, conceding the same type of soft goal from simple crosses every week, playing strikers on the wing, Routledge at right back, the ludicrous goalkeeping situation. Probably cost us enough points for the playoffs in the end.

But what he has done in bringing the squad together and young players through has been fantastic and we have on the whole been enjoying the football for the first time in about five years.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:13 - May 19 with 2868 viewsSmellyplumz

Onwards and upwards 🤣🤣🤣

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:24 - May 19 with 2814 viewsthornabyswan

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:00 - May 19 by dobjack2

Financially yes but on the pitch it depends on who is the manager, how many key players leave and who replaces them.

Maybe a daft question but would the Yanks not get a better return on their investment if we got promoted.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:26 - May 19 with 2798 viewsKrisP

Don't be silly, every other poster on here is suggesting Potter really really really wanted to stay but was driven out by the board. Poor guy!

I strongly believe his team leaked the whole "looking for assurances" thing to save face and make out to gullible fans that he was actually considering sticking with us and not jumping at the first Premier League job.
Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:38 - May 19 with 2707 viewsSmellyplumz

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:26 - May 19 by KrisP

Don't be silly, every other poster on here is suggesting Potter really really really wanted to stay but was driven out by the board. Poor guy!

I strongly believe his team leaked the whole "looking for assurances" thing to save face and make out to gullible fans that he was actually considering sticking with us and not jumping at the first Premier League job.

Non of us will really know the truth but I can well believe the yanks lied to potter, just like all the other lies.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:06 - May 19 with 2618 viewsBytholWyn

Why does it have to be exclusively one thing or the other? What is it with some people and their insistence on seeing the world in binary? Of course there was a considerable pull coming from Brighton. But if it were as simple as that then he would have signalled his intention to leave within a much shorter space of time than he did. Somebody suggested that he was concerned about the contractual implications of that - and yet he indicated his desire to leave after all. So that suggests to me that it he was seriously contemplating staying - but ultimately decided that the assurances he'd received were inadequate, or simply that he didn't trust the American owners any longer - or more likely a combination of both.

Perhaps in 30 years time, when Potter writes his autobiography it will all become clear, in the meantime we're left to read the tea leaves. I for one, think that Potter's departure was as much push as pull, and if so, then that says a lot about the mismanagement of this club. That at least I would have thought was self-evident, and something we can all agree on.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:10 - May 19 with 2576 viewsjasper_T

Potter didn't drag anything out. As soon as Brighton met his release clause he was reported as being set to leave. The only delay (of a few short days when everyone is on holiday) was on Brighton's end as they went through the usual procedure.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:20 - May 19 with 2503 viewsBytholWyn

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:10 - May 19 by jasper_T

Potter didn't drag anything out. As soon as Brighton met his release clause he was reported as being set to leave. The only delay (of a few short days when everyone is on holiday) was on Brighton's end as they went through the usual procedure.

And you know this how exactly?
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:26 - May 19 with 2461 viewsjasper_T

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:20 - May 19 by BytholWyn

And you know this how exactly?

That's what's been reported everywhere. Have you heard differently?
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:33 - May 19 with 2417 viewsmagicdaps10

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:26 - May 19 by jasper_T

That's what's been reported everywhere. Have you heard differently?

I also read that Potter was happy at Swansea and was ready to meet the board to seek reassurances going forward as a club........then 24hours later.....well we all know what happened.

We can all put the pieces together and come to our own conclusion.

Personally, I think this is going to hurt us bad and I fear what will happen in the next few months before the season starts. Sometimes, things like this can kick people into action.....I can live in hope.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:34 - May 19 with 2415 viewsBytholWyn

That's not what I've read. If it was all a formality then why were Potter and MacAuley sent to Portsmouth. You're not telling me he did so on Brighton duty?
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:37 - May 19 with 2390 viewsDr_Winston

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:34 - May 19 by BytholWyn

That's not what I've read. If it was all a formality then why were Potter and MacAuley sent to Portsmouth. You're not telling me he did so on Brighton duty?

We sent Martinez scouting when he'd already agreed to take over at Wigan. It's not unprecedented.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:39 - May 19 with 2381 viewsmagicdaps10

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:34 - May 19 by BytholWyn

Potter had obviously spoken to BHA before the compensation cost was met, he cant have been totally convinced with BHA to seek a meeting with our board regarding assurances.

After all this, compensation was met and it all moved quicky.....he was looking after himself but was obviously willing to do that at Swansea but he chose to keep BHA in the prem over giving us a good season in the champ.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:47 - May 19 with 2346 viewsjack_lord

Whatever happens in the longer term we still have a lovely stadium with a nice pitch. We also have state of the art facilities and have a high profile that will entice potential players and management.
I do wish the yanks would just be honest and explain what they are doing. If they say they only want money then so be it and we can choose whether to help them or not.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:57 - May 19 with 2302 viewsFlashberryjack

Potter is no different to all the other managers we've had ... kiss the badge then f*ck off when a better offer comes in.

I wish him and Brighton all the worst.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:23 - May 19 with 2195 viewsBytholWyn

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:57 - May 19 by Flashberryjack

Potter is no different to all the other managers we've had ... kiss the badge then f*ck off when a better offer comes in.

I wish him and Brighton all the worst.

I understand the sentiment, but it does let the American owners off the hook.

It's hard not to draw parallels with the Martinez departure. We were all pretty hacked off (understatement of the year) with Martinez, myself included, but our understandable sense of betrayal made it difficult to acknowledge that underlying issues, such as the failure to sign Jordi Gomez, probably played some role in Martinez leaving.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:52 - May 19 with 2133 viewsBadlands

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:23 - May 19 by BytholWyn

I understand the sentiment, but it does let the American owners off the hook.

It's hard not to draw parallels with the Martinez departure. We were all pretty hacked off (understatement of the year) with Martinez, myself included, but our understandable sense of betrayal made it difficult to acknowledge that underlying issues, such as the failure to sign Jordi Gomez, probably played some role in Martinez leaving.

The underlying issue with Martinez was he was offered a Premier League job with all that went with it for a 'cloob' he'd spent 6 formative years as a player.
Failure to sign Gomez had **** all to do with it.
At least Potter leaves mid May rather than Mid-June as Martinez did.
[Post edited 19 May 2019 17:54]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:55 - May 19 with 2114 viewsLandore_Jack

A question mark over the recruitment policy according to WOL. What's going on there?

#backtojack

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:59 - May 19 with 2094 viewsLandore_Jack

"Assurances over transfers were believed to be at the heart of attempts to keep Potter at the club when he met up with club officials this week, but it seems there are still big questions over the club's recruitment policy."

#backtojack

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 18:07 - May 19 with 2054 viewsSwanjaxs

There really is no rational way of looking at the situation with the Americans in charge, nobody has a clue what is going to happen next, and that most probably includes the Americans themselves, basically a blind leading the deaf situation

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 18:15 - May 19 with 2032 viewsLuther27

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:47 - May 19 by jack_lord

Whatever happens in the longer term we still have a lovely stadium with a nice pitch. We also have state of the art facilities and have a high profile that will entice potential players and management.
I do wish the yanks would just be honest and explain what they are doing. If they say they only want money then so be it and we can choose whether to help them or not.

Mate, you'll get a kicking on here for talking sense like that lol. I agree with you...he's gone for money and the Premiership. No matter who the owners are being relegated leaves any club in a financial mess that needs to be addressed. If we had an oil sheik etc ffp would catch up with us. So, let's dry our eyes and deal with it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024