Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Wilmot - Watford 18:52 - Jul 24 with 9050 views34dfgdf54

I know it’s been mentioned in transfer thread, but thought the review he’s had by a Watford journalist fella on twitter deserves its own thread. Sounds the ticket!!

<<Will do a piece on Ben Wilmot to Swansea City, but in a tweet i am over the moon with the deal if it goes through. Can play as a DM or CB in the 4-2-3-1 formation Cooper will play. So gifted on the ball, he will suit right into Swansea’s style of play. Premier League quality imo

Absolutely bossed it against Spurs, Newcastle and Reading last season for Watford. Then went on loan to Udinese and faced the likes of Juventus and Lazio. At just 19 years of age, he has some experience under his belt. To miss out on Clarke-Salter and get Wilmot is a HUGE upgrade

Played more as a centre half at Stevenage, more of a central midfielder at Watford & did a bit of both at Udinese with their 3 at the back system. Awith Swansea’s lack of depth at centre half he proves majorly important, but a DM of Wilmot & Grimes would be the best in the league>>
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:44 - Jul 24 with 2629 viewsThornburyswan

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:25 - Jul 24 by Brynmill_Jack

In my honest opinion our squad underachieved last year and we finished tenth. We seem suddenly stronger so I may have to disagree mate. Potter tinkering cost us points even though in fairness he stabilised us when worst case scenario could have been another relegation. I think Cooper knows his best side and he won’t deviate far from that. Consistency in selection will benefit us for sure.

Fair points & obviously hope you are right, just feel we are a tad light-weight & if either Oli or MvdH were to exit before the window shuts we'd lose key experience at either end of the pitch.

That said decent progress made on & off the pitch over last 2/3 months so reasons to be positive.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:47 - Jul 24 with 2610 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:44 - Jul 24 by Thornburyswan

Fair points & obviously hope you are right, just feel we are a tad light-weight & if either Oli or MvdH were to exit before the window shuts we'd lose key experience at either end of the pitch.

That said decent progress made on & off the pitch over last 2/3 months so reasons to be positive.

Fair comment mate let’s hope it’s better than we dared to hope. Cheers 🍻

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 22:16 - Jul 24 with 2450 viewsSwansea93

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:18 - Jul 24 by Swanseaman

I suspect if we keep hold of mcburnie, vdh and baston, that we should be near top 6 at least, possibly higher. Cooper is getting them taking more shots at goal, and if we continue to improve on that, and to improve our defence, we should be a better team than last season.

we may notice losing fer and dan james though, will be interesting.

To be fair, we done fine without Fer most of the season.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 22:41 - Jul 24 with 2345 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 22:16 - Jul 24 by Swansea93

To be fair, we done fine without Fer most of the season.

We did indeed. I think we already have the look of a far more settled side than last years already

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 23:58 - Jul 24 with 2168 viewsBadlands

Can't get excited about this player ... sorry.
26 minutes in the PL
196 in Seria A 12 benches 5 appearances (45L, 45D, 90L, then 9D, and 8W)
Hope I'm wrong but he looks more like back up for Rodon than starter.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 00:25 - Jul 25 with 2140 viewsJacket

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:28 - Jul 24 by splJack

Before we all get too excited... Renato Sanchez

Very different situation. Huge amount of pressure placed on Sanches. Remember a few of the Match of the Day pundits saying we'd done the best business of the summer in the bottom half of the Prem based upon signing him. He basically cracked under the weight of expectation.

Don't think this guy would come here with that level of expectation or pressure - the Match of the Day pundits couldn't care less what the hell he'll do if he comes here, that's one thing for sure.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 00:34 - Jul 25 with 2118 viewsjackrmee

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 20:57 - Jul 24 by Brynmill_Jack

Sounds like a fantastic addition for us either way. Even better if s permanent. F*ck I’m excited about this coming season.

I echo that

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 07:22 - Jul 25 with 1941 viewsDr_Winston

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:25 - Jul 24 by Brynmill_Jack

In my honest opinion our squad underachieved last year and we finished tenth. We seem suddenly stronger so I may have to disagree mate. Potter tinkering cost us points even though in fairness he stabilised us when worst case scenario could have been another relegation. I think Cooper knows his best side and he won’t deviate far from that. Consistency in selection will benefit us for sure.

Not sure if we underachieved. We were lacking depth in two or three positions over a full campaign, although when we were on our game we were a match for most teams.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 07:49 - Jul 25 with 1891 viewsbermudajack

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 07:22 - Jul 25 by Dr_Winston

Not sure if we underachieved. We were lacking depth in two or three positions over a full campaign, although when we were on our game we were a match for most teams.

The only worry I have is the fan expectation and relevant pressure this puts on the new management team...
We’ve had a great pre-season and some of the play we’ve seen (albeit against lower league friendly’s) has given plenty of optimism for the season ahead.
But we have to remember that this is Coopers first season in the Championship, he has a lot to learn about the grind of a full season ahead and the effects of it has on a young squad.
I was once told by a that the mark of a good coach is - the halting a bad run of results & performances and turning them back into salvageable points... “stopping the slide”
All this talk of playoffs in his first season is a bit OTT for me, let’s just take each game and look for the positives without getting too excited or depressed along the way.
It’s a long, long season ahead with many twists and turns, I’m looking forward to seeing this young perform this season, but my feet are firmly on the ground 👍

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 08:00 - Jul 25 with 1860 viewsDr_Winston

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 07:49 - Jul 25 by bermudajack

The only worry I have is the fan expectation and relevant pressure this puts on the new management team...
We’ve had a great pre-season and some of the play we’ve seen (albeit against lower league friendly’s) has given plenty of optimism for the season ahead.
But we have to remember that this is Coopers first season in the Championship, he has a lot to learn about the grind of a full season ahead and the effects of it has on a young squad.
I was once told by a that the mark of a good coach is - the halting a bad run of results & performances and turning them back into salvageable points... “stopping the slide”
All this talk of playoffs in his first season is a bit OTT for me, let’s just take each game and look for the positives without getting too excited or depressed along the way.
It’s a long, long season ahead with many twists and turns, I’m looking forward to seeing this young perform this season, but my feet are firmly on the ground 👍

There's a lot to be optimistic about, but I've generally found that pre seasons where I've allowed myself to be optimistic are followed by seasons of disappointment.

I'd be happier if the Ayews, Carroll, Montero and Baston were gone already so we could have a full fortnight to add players instead of the likely scrabble we're going to have, but we've certainly got a squad that should be looking up the table rather than down it. If we are seriously looking at incorporating Borja into the team if we can't sell so we're not reliant on CBR as McBurnie's only alternative then that's a positive too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 08:19 - Jul 25 with 1796 viewsNotLoyal

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 07:49 - Jul 25 by bermudajack

It's how the fans react when he makes mistakes, or when his judgement is questioned indeed how he reacts. It will happen.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:01 - Jul 25 with 1712 viewsGaz_M

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 23:58 - Jul 24 by Badlands

Can't get excited about this player ... sorry.
26 minutes in the PL
196 in Seria A 12 benches 5 appearances (45L, 45D, 90L, then 9D, and 8W)
Hope I'm wrong but he looks more like back up for Rodon than starter.

Of course he's a back up to Rodon ffs!! He's 19 and it's a long season.

Did you think we were going to bench one of the leagues most promising centre half for a youngster from another clubs youth team?
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:10 - Jul 25 with 1683 viewsBadlands

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 21:28 - Jul 24 by splJack

Before we all get too excited... Renato Sanchez

Renato was all about Clement showing he had connections.
Friends in Portugal all said Sanches' move to Bayern was too soon and he was no better for them than us.
Bayern fans couldn't believe we paid them for the loan.
He had completely gone before he came to us and Bayern were hoping Clement could get him back on track.
Wilmot? I'd rather see Cabango being promoted to the senior team.

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:18 - Jul 25 with 1666 viewsGaz_M

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:10 - Jul 25 by Badlands

Renato was all about Clement showing he had connections.
Friends in Portugal all said Sanches' move to Bayern was too soon and he was no better for them than us.
Bayern fans couldn't believe we paid them for the loan.
He had completely gone before he came to us and Bayern were hoping Clement could get him back on track.
Wilmot? I'd rather see Cabango being promoted to the senior team.

Clearly you have never seen Cabango play.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:23 - Jul 25 with 1639 viewsjackrmee

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 08:19 - Jul 25 by NotLoyal

It's how the fans react when he makes mistakes, or when his judgement is questioned indeed how he reacts. It will happen.

Let's just hope he doesn't read this site

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:24 - Jul 25 with 1646 viewsBadlands

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:18 - Jul 25 by Gaz_M

Clearly you have never seen Cabango play.

I have and I've checked out Wilmot (only highlights TBF) and I'd rather we promoted Cabango - similar age, will be a leader, better player.
All depends on Hoorn staying though.
It's only a feeling but I think the hype around Wilmot is similar to that sound Mawson - decent no nonsense English style CB but no where near level being suggested.

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:27 - Jul 25 with 1641 viewsGaz_M

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:24 - Jul 25 by Badlands

I have and I've checked out Wilmot (only highlights TBF) and I'd rather we promoted Cabango - similar age, will be a leader, better player.
All depends on Hoorn staying though.
It's only a feeling but I think the hype around Wilmot is similar to that sound Mawson - decent no nonsense English style CB but no where near level being suggested.

You haven't seen Cabango play, that is evident given your 'better player' comment, particularly since you've only seen highlights of Willmot!

Ben Willmot is a ball playing centre half or holding midfielder, I've not seen him described anywhere as "no nonsense English style cb". In fact one of the very few criticisms against him is his slight frame and over doing it on the ball, completely contrary to your comment about him being no nonsense.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 10:31 - Jul 25 with 1529 viewsThornburyswan

SSN reporting as done, season long loan.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 10:32 - Jul 25 with 1515 viewsandypitt56

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 10:31 - Jul 25 by Thornburyswan

SSN reporting as done, season long loan.

its official!
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 10:55 - Jul 25 with 1394 viewsjack_lord

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 10:32 - Jul 25 by andypitt56

its official!

Welcome and please do a good job and make sure scumdiff sh1tty lose against us as a bonus.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:08 - Jul 25 with 1337 views34dfgdf54

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 09:01 - Jul 25 by Gaz_M

Of course he's a back up to Rodon ffs!! He's 19 and it's a long season.

Did you think we were going to bench one of the leagues most promising centre half for a youngster from another clubs youth team?

I got a gut feeling he may surprise us and be a regular starter, in CDM.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:10 - Jul 25 with 1330 viewsSwansea93

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:08 - Jul 25 by 34dfgdf54

You're probably right, he ain't coming here to be a back up.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:56 - Jul 25 with 1194 viewsSwanseaman

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 08:00 - Jul 25 by Dr_Winston

There's a lot to be optimistic about, but I've generally found that pre seasons where I've allowed myself to be optimistic are followed by seasons of disappointment.

I'd be happier if the Ayews, Carroll, Montero and Baston were gone already so we could have a full fortnight to add players instead of the likely scrabble we're going to have, but we've certainly got a squad that should be looking up the table rather than down it. If we are seriously looking at incorporating Borja into the team if we can't sell so we're not reliant on CBR as McBurnie's only alternative then that's a positive too.

so far, i feel quite optimistic with the style of play cooper is working on, and that the players seem to be improving.

but i also feel pessimistic with the worry if we will lose mcburnie, vdh and borja or if they will stay.

with these american owners, i've got used to them messing up, so half of me is expecting this to happen again.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2019 11:57]

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 12:08 - Jul 25 with 1146 viewsGaz_M

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:10 - Jul 25 by Swansea93

You're probably right, he ain't coming here to be a back up.

Long season. We don't play a defensive midfielder, we play 2 deeper playmakers. He'll be rotating in and out and get plenty of game time. Won't be a guaranteed starter.
Ben Wilmot - Watford on 12:11 - Jul 25 with 1128 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ben Wilmot - Watford on 11:08 - Jul 25 by 34dfgdf54

Could be just what we need. We can rotate him and Grimes, Grimes/Fulton/Byers in centre mid and Celina /Fulton/Byers/ Routledge as AM. Nice to see cover and competition.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024