Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone Swan 18:18 - Dec 29 with 8359 viewsMJC

Dear fellow Planet Swans' posters,

After 13 years of watching the Swans with my father - a season ticket holder of many a year - I have never quite been left dumbfounded by my experience at the Liberty (Bob Bradley aside).

Around 30 minutes into the first half, myself and another other fan went to the aid of child of about 8 years' of age who was attending the match with his grandfather in the NW upper stand - they were sat alone in the block next to me and a few rows behind (next to the away).

The grandfather and his grandson were suffering quite abbhorent abuse from the away support from quite early on. Our stewards had gone over to the away support twice during the first half to warn the away fans about their behaviour but ultimately did nothing.

At around 30 minutes, the abuse escalated with the away fans pointing and shouting god-knows-what at the grandfather; this left the child in tears and the grandfather visibly shaking.

Myself and another mild-mannered fan took objection to this and went to their aid - a couple of stewards came over and that was as far as it went, the whole verbal to-and-fro lasting about 15 seconds, max, and consisted of us telling them how pathetic they were for abusing a kid and an old man. It was literally the most non-event you could witness at the football. The stewards said nothing to me at the time and moved the kid and his grandad to the seats behind me, and I spoke to the kid before halftime to see if he was OK.

I then went to the toilet at halftime (about 15 minutes after this happened) and was approached on the way back to my seat by a steward and SW police and ejected from the stadium for 'approaching the away fans'. I couldn't quite believe what was happening, I asked the stewards to review the footage to check they'd got the right person - apparently they did. Anyway, I wasn't allowed back in, for nothing more than standing up for a child and his elderly grandad.

I phoned my Dad from outside the stadium and he in turn walked out in disgust and disbelief, initially believing I was having him on - nobody in the seats next to us would believe it either.

So, cheers for the free pint this afternoon Swansea City, but after spending thousands of pounds watching you over the years and the untold hours - travelling the 400-mile round trip from Shropshire every home game - I've dedicated to watching the team, you will not have another penny or ounce of energy out of me.

Positives: I missed the traffic.

Well done to everyone who endured the 90, and if anyone has any contacts at the club who I can raise this with, it would be most appreciated.

All the best
Matt
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 0:22]
Gone Swan on 19:22 - Dec 29 with 2117 viewssainthelens

Gone Swan on 19:07 - Dec 29 by Jackfath

Let them. Others will walk out in support. It’s how things change. Sitting and rolling eyes and tutting will change nothing.

Listen, I get it. But it shouldn't be left to 'us' to sort their mess. I for one am not one to roll my eyes, I like many others have felt like 'clocking a few stewards ' and its us that'll get a ban.
Gone Swan on 19:29 - Dec 29 with 2086 viewsAl_Bundy

Anybody who drove 400 miles today to watch this passionless turgent crap deserve an MBE not being evicted.
Gone Swan on 19:34 - Dec 29 with 2052 viewsdonnybackspin

Matt

We sit not far from you are we were told off for shouting at the away fans, we could see the abuse the young kid was getting.

The stewards are a joke in that part of the ground. Last match the stewards stopped two kids from sitting next to their friend and his Dad, despite the fact there were lots of empty seats. The stewards just said the other fans could turn up late, to which I informed them they are season ticket holder seats and they are away on holiday, they just said No.

These incidents together with my lack of drinks voucher despite going through the turnstile at 2:29 has now made me consider giving up my season tickets for next year. We have 4 season tickets and whilst the yanks are in charge I am finding it hard to continue to believe. I have been going for over 30 years.

I will probably just stick to odd games and regular away trips.
Gone Swan on 20:12 - Dec 29 with 1950 viewsBillyChong

Gone Swan on 19:34 - Dec 29 by donnybackspin

Matt

We sit not far from you are we were told off for shouting at the away fans, we could see the abuse the young kid was getting.

The stewards are a joke in that part of the ground. Last match the stewards stopped two kids from sitting next to their friend and his Dad, despite the fact there were lots of empty seats. The stewards just said the other fans could turn up late, to which I informed them they are season ticket holder seats and they are away on holiday, they just said No.

These incidents together with my lack of drinks voucher despite going through the turnstile at 2:29 has now made me consider giving up my season tickets for next year. We have 4 season tickets and whilst the yanks are in charge I am finding it hard to continue to believe. I have been going for over 30 years.

I will probably just stick to odd games and regular away trips.

Same stewards who are constantly at fans to sit down when where’s a good few hundred people metres away standing for 90 minutes.
Gone Swan on 22:01 - Dec 29 with 1822 viewsVincent_Vega

Gone Swan on 19:22 - Dec 29 by sainthelens

Listen, I get it. But it shouldn't be left to 'us' to sort their mess. I for one am not one to roll my eyes, I like many others have felt like 'clocking a few stewards ' and its us that'll get a ban.

This.

I think we called this on another thread that the stewards should be properly vetted and trained before taking the job on. I got to know one or two over the years and some do a great job but too many either don’t care or a unable to do their job.

It’s not a nice job, I get it. I wouldn’t want to do it but if you’re going do it, do it properly.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Gone Swan on 23:26 - Dec 29 with 1729 viewsDJack

Gone Swan on 18:35 - Dec 29 by Jackfath

Bollocks. The more that speak up the less crap like that will happen.

I'm surprised that mart has down-arrowed you as you are bang on here Fathy.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Gone Swan on 23:26 - Dec 29 with 1730 viewsGlastonbury

Gone Swan on 18:21 - Dec 29 by Jackfath

Good for you for speaking up. I admire you.

Really ? That could have made situation 10 times worse. All he had to do was have quiet word with steward / police. Unfortunately it doesn't pay to get involved these days
Gone Swan on 23:27 - Dec 29 with 1729 viewsGlastonbury

U shouldn't have got involved pal should have simply informed the stewards / police etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Gone Swan on 23:29 - Dec 29 with 1724 viewsDJack

Gone Swan on 23:26 - Dec 29 by Glastonbury

Really ? That could have made situation 10 times worse. All he had to do was have quiet word with steward / police. Unfortunately it doesn't pay to get involved these days

Did you not read the piece ...he asked the steward to review the "evidence" .

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Gone Swan on 23:52 - Dec 29 with 1676 viewsGlastonbury

Gone Swan on 23:29 - Dec 29 by DJack

Did you not read the piece ...he asked the steward to review the "evidence" .

Yes mate I did. Did u ? Have another read he admitted going over and telling the away fans how pathetic they were . 15 seconds of telling them. So video evidence prob has him finger wagging telling them ' hey old chap do u realise how pathetic u r ? Bang to rights in my eyes.
Gone Swan on 00:10 - Dec 30 with 1634 viewsDJack

Gone Swan on 23:52 - Dec 29 by Glastonbury

Yes mate I did. Did u ? Have another read he admitted going over and telling the away fans how pathetic they were . 15 seconds of telling them. So video evidence prob has him finger wagging telling them ' hey old chap do u realise how pathetic u r ? Bang to rights in my eyes.

FCK

MY

EYES

YOU SANTIMONIOUS FOOL.

Yep, he commited the crime of the century...

How many games have you attended where fans have flicked the V's and not been ejected etc...

Have a word.

Gone Swan on 00:35 - Dec 30 with 1604 viewsMJC

Cheers for the responses everyone, and thanks for the support. I've emailed the club.(Glastonbury - the stewards twice came over and did nothing. Your choice if you're able to sit by and watch a kid reduced to tears by adults. I went to help the kid, not start a fight).

Edited original post as I'd written NE upper when in fact I've always sat in NW upper, where nothing much usually happens! I think donnybackspin who witnessed it must have already clocked my mistake.
Gone Swan on 00:39 - Dec 30 with 1595 viewsTimTtam

Christ. In Australian sport we had a drama for just the 1 week where 'Behavioual Awareness Officers' were evicting the odd person for doing nothing wrong. The problem got sorted immediately.

You've got them every week, of every year by the looks of it. And nothing can and will be done about it...

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Gone Swan on 01:51 - Dec 30 with 1545 viewsChief

THE TRUST PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE AND UPDATE US ASAP PLEASE

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Gone Swan on 03:47 - Dec 30 with 1516 viewsJackfath

Gone Swan on 23:26 - Dec 29 by Glastonbury

OBEY!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Gone Swan on 07:04 - Dec 30 with 1455 viewsGlastonbury

Gone Swan on 00:35 - Dec 30 by MJC

Cheers for the responses everyone, and thanks for the support. I've emailed the club.(Glastonbury - the stewards twice came over and did nothing. Your choice if you're able to sit by and watch a kid reduced to tears by adults. I went to help the kid, not start a fight).

Edited original post as I'd written NE upper when in fact I've always sat in NW upper, where nothing much usually happens! I think donnybackspin who witnessed it must have already clocked my mistake.

Ur intentions mean well I'm sure why was grandad sitting next to the away fans with his grandson ? Im.sure swans have a family stand. I've sat there many times over the years and I wouldn't take my 10 year old daughter there.
Gone Swan on 07:10 - Dec 30 with 1452 viewsGlastonbury

Gone Swan on 00:10 - Dec 30 by DJack

FCK

MY

EYES

YOU SANTIMONIOUS FOOL.

Yep, he commited the crime of the century...

How many games have you attended where fans have flicked the V's and not been ejected etc...

Have a word.

V sign ? There a little diff mate. E.g. Ur 50 yards away and u flick the V sign at me. Clearly nothing etc U come up to me a yard awash and start telling me how pathetic i am ? Diff outcome innit provocation ? U may have a knife ? U may be a loony bin whose misses just left him ? My point is His grandad could have moved them both if stewards wouldn't help. I would have moved to diff seats and told stewards why
Gone Swan on 10:13 - Dec 30 with 1348 viewsYossarian

For information I contacted a pal of mine on the Trust Board and this was brought to their attention last night. It was then raised by them with the Club last night. There is an investigation underway.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Gone Swan on 10:22 - Dec 30 with 1326 viewsPhil_S

We have picked up on this today and asked Stuart to raise with the relevant people in the club. He will be doing so today.

To the OP - I have just dropped you a PM with some contact details
Gone Swan on 10:27 - Dec 30 with 1304 viewsTimTtam

Gone Swan on 10:22 - Dec 30 by Phil_S

We have picked up on this today and asked Stuart to raise with the relevant people in the club. He will be doing so today.

To the OP - I have just dropped you a PM with some contact details

Good stuff.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Gone Swan on 10:29 - Dec 30 with 1295 viewsPhil_S

Also worth adding here that having just checked emails as well, Jonathan wilsher from the club had emailed me last night asking to be put in touch with the OP. I have passed his details on
Gone Swan on 10:52 - Dec 30 with 1239 viewsDewi1jack

Gone Swan on 07:04 - Dec 30 by Glastonbury

Ur intentions mean well I'm sure why was grandad sitting next to the away fans with his grandson ? Im.sure swans have a family stand. I've sat there many times over the years and I wouldn't take my 10 year old daughter there.

Was the granddad a ST holder?
I missed that bit somewhere.

If he wasn't, does he get to pick his seat if he buys online?
I know for the away games when we buy tickets, we sit where we're given. No choice

Still think the stewards could of handled the situation better.
Just move them. Diffuse the situation.
Otherwise known as do the job that they are paid for.
Thousands of empty seats and they eject someone trying to help.
Was it that safestyle lot? Most of them are from Cardiff area

We have normally tidy stewards in the East (section next to the NE). We get the occasional dickwad, but they're normally tidy.
They do seem to put the dickwads in the NE/ NW by the away fans, from the amount of complaints on here over the years.

My congratulations go to the OP for speaking out.

Although, if I'd been the steward or dibble, I'd have made him stay to the bitter end and watch that sh1te as a punishment

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Gone Swan on 11:01 - Dec 30 with 1216 viewsNotLoyal

Gone Swan on 19:10 - Dec 29 by Swanjaxs

What about a disapproving glance?

A thoughtful sigh helps.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Gone Swan on 11:38 - Dec 30 with 1159 viewschad

Gone Swan on 07:04 - Dec 30 by Glastonbury

Whilst the club sees fit to sell tickets for children in the west corner of the north stand they have a duty of care to ensure any abuse (most especially of a targeted and continuous nature and involving children) is dealt with.

Unless beyond supporting our own team, they were particularly doing anything to goad the opposition supporters, then they are the victims and should be protected. It appears, as reported here, that despite being fully aware of the situation, the stewards / police were not doing that.

It is a matter of pride that there are people like the OP that will stand up for others. I am only sorry not to have been there to help. As others have said, if as described this is entirely unacceptable, the OP deserves a full and public apology and thanks for attempting to protect the child and his grandad, and they and the OP deserve some reward as a small recompense for the treatment they as customers were allowed to suffer.

Good to see the Trust being rapidly involved and investigating. Hope we ensure this is fully, fairly and properly dealt with by the Club
Gone Swan on 12:24 - Dec 30 with 1096 viewsPegojack

Gone Swan on 10:29 - Dec 30 by Phil_S

Also worth adding here that having just checked emails as well, Jonathan wilsher from the club had emailed me last night asking to be put in touch with the OP. I have passed his details on

Well done, Phil.
Please tell the club a few season ticket renewals will depend on the outcome.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024