Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread 22:09 - Dec 29 with 34541 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 18:47]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:25 - Jan 2 with 2392 viewsploppy

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:08 - Jan 2 by ItchySphincter

Sort of. If we could have got a bit of traction in the second half we could have made it look quite comfortable. We looked okay at times in the first when we realised that the Charlton back four had collectively shat the bed but for whatever reason we went completely off the boil and fell apart after half time.

Dhanda for Celina was the wrong sub which probably didn’t help. It should have been Celina for Routledge and Fulton for Byers.

It was going to be Fulton for Byers until Borja pulled up. Must admit, I thought Celina coming on when the game was stretched would have suited him down to the ground. Wrong again.

Someone should have come on for Routledge though. Anyone really. Apart from a couple of glimpses in the first half he was awful. Cost Naughton a booking in the second minute which is the last thing we needed.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 2 with 2325 viewsbluenile

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:21 - Jan 2 by gordondg

Looked on in disbelief as our manager came on fist pumping after that second half performance.

Yeh, I turned to the guys next to me, please don't let him start fist pumping after that load of shite, one guy said he was going before he does. Next thing . . . . . . . There he goes, fist pumping away. I mean stop it, it's looking pathetic now.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:38 - Jan 2 with 2315 viewsAngelRangelQS

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 2 by bluenile

Yeh, I turned to the guys next to me, please don't let him start fist pumping after that load of shite, one guy said he was going before he does. Next thing . . . . . . . There he goes, fist pumping away. I mean stop it, it's looking pathetic now.

He’s embarrassing
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:42 - Jan 2 with 2290 viewsOneill_77

A 1-0 win puts into 6th position and only a couple of positive posts on this thread. What joy.

1st half was fabulous to watch us take the game to them from the off. Could've should've nailed it. The drive and intent was in stark contrast to the Barnsley game.

Hung on valiantly after a bullish away team buoyed by off field events came at us. Another massive lesson, and an invaluable 3 pts.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:47 - Jan 2 with 2256 viewsdobjack2

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:09 - Jan 2 by Andyconky

Byers was superb. Just because he doesn't always want to play the safe pass may mean the ball goes amiss sometimes. Ne grateful what we have

If he ever learns to cut out the stupid flicks then he will become a much better player.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:49 - Jan 2 with 2238 viewsjasper_T

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:42 - Jan 2 by Oneill_77

A 1-0 win puts into 6th position and only a couple of positive posts on this thread. What joy.

1st half was fabulous to watch us take the game to them from the off. Could've should've nailed it. The drive and intent was in stark contrast to the Barnsley game.

Hung on valiantly after a bullish away team buoyed by off field events came at us. Another massive lesson, and an invaluable 3 pts.

Some of those lads "buoyed by off field events" weren't even second string players for them until the injuries hit their squad (12 or 13 out, and their talisman hooked at half time?). Hanging on valiantly, at home, to a newly promoted team's makeshift 11? Another lesson from a side younger than ours, and a manager in his second full season?

If another one of those first half chances goes in it's an easy day at the office, but the lining's more grey than silver on that second half.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 00:00 - Jan 3 with 2189 viewsItchySphincter

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:42 - Jan 2 by Oneill_77

There’s obviously a fine line between positivity and delusion.

They were shite mate, yet could easily and probably deservedly got something.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 01:01 - Jan 3 with 2041 viewsdameedna

A few too many flicks but at least we were trying to bteak free.

Charlton closed down reasonably well with Pratley playing his part with a timely block.

I dont think it was a poor performance from us but our defence is sometimes stretched out of shape and we were making rash clearances.

Cabango stood out at times he will have learned from this game. VDH made similar mistakes in his first season with his not-under-pressure-chips to the striker's area. He took over ten games to develop and was already experienced before arriving.

Probably the wrong sub bringing on Celina, he should have played centrally or instead bring on some pace on the wing.

Tactically a decent first half and a scrappy win in the end. Winning ugly saves jobs so lucky for you Steve.

This is a decent standard league eg I watched Aaron Holloway a Welshman this week who is a stand out striker in the A League. His best spell was with Wycombe.

There are some decent players in this league. I get that we dont look as fluid as we or the team would like. That may come with a few more wins.
Login to get fewer ads

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 03:25 - Jan 3 with 1936 viewsTimTtam

Couldn't watch the game again as it was a 3:45am start, but it sounds like we played very well in the first half, and very badly in the second.

It was poor tactically from Cooper to sit back and defend. We could've gone in for the kill in the first 20 minutes and gone up 2-0, then sit back and defend. Defending a 1-0 lead is suicide. It was also poor yet again to play an injured defender, resulting in yet another reoccurence of an injury. Lets hope he isn't out for more than 1 game.

But the upside is that we played a very good first half and created numerous chances. And we did it at home. You can't blame the opposition being poor, cause they came back from 1-2 down to beat Bristol 3-2 just one week ago. We can only beat who we play.

I'm wondering, once both have properly developed, who will be the better player? Celina or Dhanda? Celina has gone backwards under Cooper, but Dhanda has improved. Both were youth players at Man City and Liverpool respectively.

Amazing that we're in the playoffs. But lets kick on, beat QPR, and get ready for the chance at a first derby double

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 06:52 - Jan 3 with 1815 viewsDr_Winston

Slightly surprised to see so much praise for a decent but hardly spectacular first half. Against a team with that many injuries and an away record that bad having a couple of shots on target for a change is the least we should be expecting, but hey ho.

Second half we were about as bad as we've been all season. Allowed ourselves to be bullied out of the game, and Cooper was his usual, reactive rather than proactive self. It's noticeable how often Ayew is having to drop deep to get anywhere near the ball, which is obviously going to affect how effective he can be.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 07:31 - Jan 3 with 1759 viewsswan65split

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 22:26 - Jan 2 by jojaca

I just think Celina is the closest thing to Glyfi since he left the club and fans are showing blind faith in him. I would back my 9 year old daughter in 50/50 challenge with Celina.

It completely annoys me when faced in a challenge he pules out ....all the efffing time.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 08:16 - Jan 3 with 1692 views34dfgdf54

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 22:18 - Jan 2 by andrew

If you think he didn’t play well you need to remove yourself from the group and never enter the liberty again. Trolls are not welcome.

He was awful again
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 08:39 - Jan 3 with 1629 viewssainthelens

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 01:01 - Jan 3 by dameedna

A few too many flicks but at least we were trying to bteak free.

Charlton closed down reasonably well with Pratley playing his part with a timely block.

I dont think it was a poor performance from us but our defence is sometimes stretched out of shape and we were making rash clearances.

Cabango stood out at times he will have learned from this game. VDH made similar mistakes in his first season with his not-under-pressure-chips to the striker's area. He took over ten games to develop and was already experienced before arriving.

Probably the wrong sub bringing on Celina, he should have played centrally or instead bring on some pace on the wing.

Tactically a decent first half and a scrappy win in the end. Winning ugly saves jobs so lucky for you Steve.

This is a decent standard league eg I watched Aaron Holloway a Welshman this week who is a stand out striker in the A League. His best spell was with Wycombe.

There are some decent players in this league. I get that we dont look as fluid as we or the team would like. That may come with a few more wins.

" This is a decent standard league "
Fck my eyes, did you really write that ?
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 08:40 - Jan 3 with 1627 views3swan

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 06:52 - Jan 3 by Dr_Winston

Slightly surprised to see so much praise for a decent but hardly spectacular first half. Against a team with that many injuries and an away record that bad having a couple of shots on target for a change is the least we should be expecting, but hey ho.

Second half we were about as bad as we've been all season. Allowed ourselves to be bullied out of the game, and Cooper was his usual, reactive rather than proactive self. It's noticeable how often Ayew is having to drop deep to get anywhere near the ball, which is obviously going to affect how effective he can be.

I agree about the first half. It was a better performance but Charlton offered very little.
The conditions didn't help but many passes had the receiving player having to stretch to make contact with the ball. Stats show us with a total game shots on target of 3.
Second half was woeful where we basically had all players defending in our own half with no out ball.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 10:33 - Jan 3 with 1417 viewsjackrabbit

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 06:52 - Jan 3 by Dr_Winston

I agree with all of that, but being a glass-half-full type, would add a mitigating rejoinder. And that is that it was apparent to us watching on tv n the cosiness of our living rooms, that it was a particularly foul Swansea night with incessant lashing rain for most of the game. Yes it was the same for both teams, but I thought some of football played, especially in the first half was very creditable indeed. I trust the whole team re-watches the game and Dhanda’s excellent goal and learns the lesson - if you don’t shoot, you don’t score. If you see a gap have a go. Don’t just look for a teammate 5 yards away to pass to, HAVE A GO! Ffs.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 10:47 - Jan 3 with 1383 viewsCooperman

The point that struck me most about yesterday’s second half was the passiveness of Cooper in the dug out. Bowyer spent much of his time parading the technical area whereas our man largely sat there arms folded with a general look of disgruntlement on his face. You cannot drill your team and convey instructions when you’re like that, the body language conveyed was likely to have a detrimental impact on performance.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 11:03 - Jan 3 with 1346 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 10:47 - Jan 3 by Cooperman

The point that struck me most about yesterday’s second half was the passiveness of Cooper in the dug out. Bowyer spent much of his time parading the technical area whereas our man largely sat there arms folded with a general look of disgruntlement on his face. You cannot drill your team and convey instructions when you’re like that, the body language conveyed was likely to have a detrimental impact on performance.

Watching it back this morning Cooper doesn’t look like a man enjoying his work. As you say, his body language is terrible.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 11:23 - Jan 3 with 1316 viewsAngelRangelQS

I think the fact people are praising our first half performance illustrates just how bad we’ve been recently.

I thought we played fairly well in the first half but only for a 10-15 minute spell either side of the goal.

The second half display, given the circumstances was shocking. It was very hard to take any pleasure in that win last night or see any real positives, given how poor we are and the fact we are getting worse with every passing game.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 11:56 - Jan 3 with 1262 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 10:47 - Jan 3 by Cooperman

Yes, he's nowhere near engaged on the touchline as Rodgers or Martinez, Laudrup would often sit down but would also be on the line giving intructions.

What struck me most yesterday that he was not engaged with the team, particularly in the second half when we were struggling.

Does he have a plan to reinforce? Does he have a plan to change things if we are struggling?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 11:57]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 12:03 - Jan 3 with 1249 viewsdna

Don't think it's been mentioned.

Charlton withdrawing Taylor at half time meant they played a different formation, which completely snuffed out the threat our full backs posed 1st half - Cooper had no answer to this, hence the pressure we came under.

So, either he didn't know what to do, or we haven't got the players to adapt - I think it's probably a bit of both
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 12:22 - Jan 3 with 1215 viewsBadlands

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 10:33 - Jan 3 by jackrabbit

I agree with all of that, but being a glass-half-full type, would add a mitigating rejoinder. And that is that it was apparent to us watching on tv n the cosiness of our living rooms, that it was a particularly foul Swansea night with incessant lashing rain for most of the game. Yes it was the same for both teams, but I thought some of football played, especially in the first half was very creditable indeed. I trust the whole team re-watches the game and Dhanda’s excellent goal and learns the lesson - if you don’t shoot, you don’t score. If you see a gap have a go. Don’t just look for a teammate 5 yards away to pass to, HAVE A GO! Ffs.

The weather wasn't that bad.
Although it rained throughout the first half it wasn't heavy, wasn't cold an there was little wind.
Second half was dry.
Dhanda's goal was a deflection.
Much of what was on offer was unbelievably poor.
Players were prepared to shoot but if you have a wall of defenders in front. of you all that happens is you give away possession - which we did anyway.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 12:25 - Jan 3 with 1216 viewsdameedna

Coops said the players were tired even though we have rotated. He didnt mention that Bowyer swapped formations. Probably wasnt asked. Most of the pressos are journos reflecting fans interest in new signings. It would be refreshing to have more football talk.

Charlton are hard done by on injuries and recently got some results. Barnsley are producing. QPR got a huge result. No way is this league poor, the standard is high but the big gap to WBA and Leeds tells a story. Everything to play for and a transfer window to go.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 12:26]
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 13:41 - Jan 3 with 1108 viewsploppy

I don't think people are giving enough credit to our first half performance last night. I thought we were excellent and should have been 3 up at half time. Some of the best football we've played for a long time. We were very fluid, and excellent on the transition. Contrary to some opinions I think a slick pitch helps us enormously - always has done.

Unfortunately, the second half was pretty poor. Whether this was due to Charlton's change of formation is hard to tell, but it wouldn't be the first time we've played a team off the park in the first half only for them to change something at half time and us not being able to respond. This is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not unique to Cooper. If Baston had scored instead of blasting over, and Byers' shot not hit the post, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 14:30 - Jan 3 with 1039 viewsTimTtam

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 13:41 - Jan 3 by ploppy

I don't think people are giving enough credit to our first half performance last night. I thought we were excellent and should have been 3 up at half time. Some of the best football we've played for a long time. We were very fluid, and excellent on the transition. Contrary to some opinions I think a slick pitch helps us enormously - always has done.

Unfortunately, the second half was pretty poor. Whether this was due to Charlton's change of formation is hard to tell, but it wouldn't be the first time we've played a team off the park in the first half only for them to change something at half time and us not being able to respond. This is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not unique to Cooper. If Baston had scored instead of blasting over, and Byers' shot not hit the post, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Exactly. I watched the highlights and if we were lucky we could've led 4-0 at HT. Byers hit the post from a fair distance away, and Borja missed an opening, and then a huge chance. Like you say 2nd half was disappointing, but remember we did a similar thing against Middlesbrough. Even though we were ahead and had a numerical advantage, we didn't go forward and were conservative.

I feel that Cooper likes to defend a lead - not a good habit, but it's been consistent. Think back to Reading where we conceded an equaliser in the 90th minute after dominating the first half. We seem to play better 'football' when we concede first.

Cooper is learning on the job, and he needs to learn to put the foot down. Once/if he can, maybe we'll see a better playing style.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 14:31 - Jan 3 with 1037 viewsFlashberryjack

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 2 by bluenile

Reminds me of Uncle Bryn.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024