Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting tradesmen around 07:42 - Mar 23 with 2704 viewsVetchfielder

I have some plumbing jobs that need doing - none urgent - just inconvenient/hassle if they don't get sorted.
I'm reluctant to call anybody at the moment but the view of the household is divided on the issue.
There's obviously a risk of infection both ways. Even though we can keep our distance from the plumber when the work is being done, surfaces could still get contaminated.
On the other hand, I put some money in a tradesman's pocket and get my problems sorted - and maybe the sooner the better because the wider situation will get worse before it gets better.

What do Planet Swans think?

Proud to have been one of the 231

Getting tradesmen around on 07:52 - Mar 23 with 2686 viewsWhiterockin

Across the board I would say if its urgent get it done, if not wait.
Getting tradesmen around on 09:25 - Mar 23 with 2595 viewsPacemaker

My son had a plumbing emergency on weekend tradesmen happy to come as long as they could keep themselves and everyone else isolated from each other.

Did the job cleaned up properly so no problem.

Spoke to my builder on weekend about a job I need doing, he has put it on his list and He is grateful to know that he has his normal 6-8 week work ready to go in front of him.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Getting tradesmen around on 09:26 - Mar 23 with 2592 viewsjacktar

Getting tradesmen around on 07:52 - Mar 23 by Whiterockin

Across the board I would say if its urgent get it done, if not wait.

Agree with this.
An inconvenience is not good reason to risk the spread of the virus, whether your in the more vulnerable group or not.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Getting tradesmen around on 09:35 - Mar 23 with 2584 viewsCatullus

We have rising damp in the front wall, we need a new damp course but it's not urgent so we've put it on hold. Hopefully some drier weather will lessen the issue anyway.

I can only echo what was said, if it's urgent deal with it, if it can wait then it should.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Getting tradesmen around on 10:15 - Mar 23 with 2547 viewsVetchfielder

Thanks guys.
I will be postponing this plumbing work.

Proud to have been one of the 231

Getting tradesmen around on 13:25 - Mar 23 with 2475 viewsPegojack

A tip I would give all of you from my experience of lockdown here in Spain is, go now and get anything you think you're going to need once you're confined to the house.
I'm not talking about stockpiling food, obviously, but say you have a little DIY project in mind, go and get everything you need now.
Once lockdown comes, all the non food shops will be shut and it'll be too late.
Getting tradesmen around on 14:02 - Mar 23 with 2450 viewsSirjohnalot

Getting tradesmen around on 13:25 - Mar 23 by Pegojack

A tip I would give all of you from my experience of lockdown here in Spain is, go now and get anything you think you're going to need once you're confined to the house.
I'm not talking about stockpiling food, obviously, but say you have a little DIY project in mind, go and get everything you need now.

If it someone you know and can trust, and you can afford it. Pay him now and agree the job when things calm down, (obviously get it in writing, receipt etc)
Getting tradesmen around on 15:18 - Mar 23 with 2388 viewsBarrySwan

Getting tradesmen around on 14:02 - Mar 23 by Sirjohnalot

If it someone you know and can trust, and you can afford it. Pay him now and agree the job when things calm down, (obviously get it in writing, receipt etc)

Must confess that I never took money up front for a job other than for major materials outlay

Firstly the customer should be happy with the quality of the work done before settling up.

Secondly it is a big physiological downer to be doing work that you've already been paid for rather than looking forward to being paid at the end of the job.

Each to their own however.
Login to get fewer ads

Getting tradesmen around on 15:35 - Mar 23 with 2370 viewsScotia

Getting tradesmen around on 13:25 - Mar 23 by Pegojack

I've been thinking of getting on with some DIY and garden stuff when we are confined - can you still get internet bought stuff delivered?
Getting tradesmen around on 23:39 - Mar 23 with 2246 viewsDJack

Getting tradesmen around on 15:35 - Mar 23 by Scotia

I've been thinking of getting on with some DIY and garden stuff when we are confined - can you still get internet bought stuff delivered?

"However, retailers will still be able to take online orders and deliver items to your home."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Getting tradesmen around on 00:09 - Mar 24 with 2222 viewsairedale

I’ve got some urgent plumbing jobs need doing too.

It’s my age see.

Recommend you get some toilet rolls in.
Getting tradesmen around on 08:16 - Mar 24 with 2163 viewsCountyJim

What would they do if someone is self isolated because they have symptoms and had say a plumbing issue that needed a fix ASAP
Getting tradesmen around on 08:22 - Mar 24 with 2152 viewsdickythorpe

Just had to phone British Gas to cancel my old man's annual service.
They are only coming out for emergencies.

These automated messages at the start of a phone call need to be far briefer!!!!

Plus it is like "phonejacker" when you have to speak to the computer!!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024