Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 13:06 - Sep 9 with 10191 viewsNotLoyal

Saturday 12th September 2020, Deepdale Stadium, Lancashire. Kick off 3pm

TV
iFollow PNE
Swans Tv
Highlights on Quest TV, Saturday at 9pm.

EXTENDED MATCHDAY HIGHLIGHTS BELOW

Latest team news
George Byers is the only Swans player unavailable.
Preston have a full squad to select from.

Probably the most memorable game was on the 2nd May 1981 at Deepdale when the swans won 3-1 to secure promotion to the old division one under John Toshack. For a lot of older swans fans this was pay back for the 2-1 loss at Villa Park in March 1964 in front of 63,000 half of which were Swansea Town supporters. At the end of that game Preston won 2-1 in what was described at the time as a pretty poor referee display with decisions going against the swans which were let’s say ‘extremely questionable’

Some memories from 1981.

Another fantastic swans memory came in September 2008 when Ferrie Bodde scored a scintillating 40 yard plus goal on twenty minutes. The swans won the game 2-0 that night with Jordi Gomez getting the second goal from the penalty spot.

Jordi Gomez & Ferrie Bodde

Swans fans are none too confident regards this game, the lack of team strengthening and seemingly too many players waiting to move on spells out a home win, a draw would be acceptable.

DID YOU KNOW ?

Freddie Flintoff was born in Preston, and KFC opened their first restaurant in the U.K. in Preston. Here’s one for you, one of the first women’s football teams formed in Preston, yes they were called ‘Dick Kerr Ladies’ Er ... Is that ok ?

Preston has the tallest church spire in England and has a pretty large B&M as well.

Here’s a semi interesting thing about our hosts this weekend. Preston and its surrounding area have provided evidence of ancient Roman activity, largely in the form of a Roman road which led to a camp at Walton-le-Dale. The Angles established Preston; its name is derived from the Old English meaning "priest's settlement" and in the Domesday Book is recorded as "Prestune".

The Domesday Book yesterday.

It would be at this point we would do a pubs to visit and hotels recommended. Pretty pointless really. However, it’s safe to say they do have pubs and hotels in Preston, which is commendable.

We shouldn’t leave our fact finding mission on Preston without covering one of the towns best public houses, The Black Horse. Conveniently situated next to Wilkos, once you have bought a shit load of bargains you didn’t know you needed you can relax and choose from the many local ales and fizzy lagers served to your table.

This is the Black Horse, next door as you can see is Wilkos, who are in direct competition with many of B&M’s products.

Swansea hold the most wins between the two teams with 25, the swans biggest win was 5-0 in 1929, although they have recorded numerous four goal games. In that game one Jack Armand played for the swans, the clubs first overseas player. Born in India and Anglo Indian he played for two seasons and scored ten goals in around fifty appearances. Not bad, a bit like Stephen Torpey.

Jack Armand and the Swansea Town 1929/30 squad. Jack is in the middle row third from left. Or four from the right for political equality.

Fotmob make Preston favourites for the game, with a draw next favourable. If this game is anything like last seasons Deepdale confrontation we should be in for a cracker.

This thread is brought to you by Fansnetwork, support the site and we may see it flourish even more 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Further match updates will follow, keep visiting the thread for more news

Extended highlights from the game are now here.

[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 8:17]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 17:48 - Sep 9 with 4143 viewsTreforys_Jack

Going to be a tough game and maybe show how far away we are from being competitive this season. Hope I'm wrong and we smash them though.
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 20:17 - Sep 9 with 4100 viewsBadlands

Good and bad
Preston means to me 1 - 3 We're going up.
and 1 - 2 FA Cup Semi Final defeat.
Saturday is impossible to predict but our lack of goal threat in recent game and Woodman's form is vey worrying.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 22:55 - Sep 9 with 4035 viewsKarlHRummenigge

That Bodde goal. He has to be one our top midfielders, could've been one of the best, a rare talent.

Expecting a seismic shift after the Newport debacle, bit like the delta in our 2nd half performances in the run-in. The manager seemed to have found a way of galvanising and spurring us on, more of the same please.
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 12:55 - Sep 10 with 3909 viewsKGriz16

Thanks for doing a matchday thread, matey. I don't know, I was confident until the Newport result, but perhaps they'll shake off whatever malaise and arrogance they had at the game and set their mind to it. The 5-3-2 formation will be effective here and Preston will actually have a go, and we'll catch them on the break. I'm going 2-0 us.

Woodman - Roberts, Naughton, Geuhi, Rodon, Bidwell, Gibbs-White, Grimes, Smith with Lowe and Ayew up top. Let's have it City!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 12:56]
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:23 - Sep 10 with 3860 viewsNotLoyal

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 12:55 - Sep 10 by KGriz16

Thanks for doing a matchday thread, matey. I don't know, I was confident until the Newport result, but perhaps they'll shake off whatever malaise and arrogance they had at the game and set their mind to it. The 5-3-2 formation will be effective here and Preston will actually have a go, and we'll catch them on the break. I'm going 2-0 us.

Woodman - Roberts, Naughton, Geuhi, Rodon, Bidwell, Gibbs-White, Grimes, Smith with Lowe and Ayew up top. Let's have it City!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 12:56]

I just don’t see where the snap and pace is, I hope I’m very wrong.

OK I've changed it.

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 20:38 - Sep 10 with 3752 viewsAndyCole

Roberts as WB will add some "snap n pace"

Hope he's read read KGriz' lineup and we go for it, as went for it a few weeks ago.

Hope MGW can replicate Gallagher's energy and spearhead our midfield so Ayew doesn't have to drop too deep at Deepdale.

Would also like to see Low play as High a high line as possible, to give us an out-ball on the break, and drag their defence back. Ayew can slot it in the hole and wreak havoc.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 09:52 - Sep 11 with 3583 viewsKGriz16

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:23 - Sep 10 by NotLoyal

I just don’t see where the snap and pace is, I hope I’m very wrong.

The wing backs I would hope. Teams will worry about Ayew too, which should allow Lowe to get in behind. I've never seen Gibbs-White play but I hope he has got some bite and tenacity.
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:22 - Sep 11 with 3575 viewsKarlHRummenigge

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 09:52 - Sep 11 by KGriz16

The wing backs I would hope. Teams will worry about Ayew too, which should allow Lowe to get in behind. I've never seen Gibbs-White play but I hope he has got some bite and tenacity.

MG-W showed some fight til the end, a deft touch and played heads-up looking to link. Definitely bolstered our spine.

Could become a fans' favourite.
Login to get fewer ads

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:45 - Sep 11 with 3458 viewsNortbankboy

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 20:38 - Sep 10 by AndyCole

Roberts as WB will add some "snap n pace"

Hope he's read read KGriz' lineup and we go for it, as went for it a few weeks ago.

Hope MGW can replicate Gallagher's energy and spearhead our midfield so Ayew doesn't have to drop too deep at Deepdale.

Would also like to see Low play as High a high line as possible, to give us an out-ball on the break, and drag their defence back. Ayew can slot it in the hole and wreak havoc.

Conner Roberts will run all day.
But he had not got a change of pace to go past people.
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:57 - Sep 11 with 3449 viewsBadlands

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 09:52 - Sep 11 by KGriz16

The problem with our-backs is they get stranded up files (Roberts less so) and midfield is generally quite poor so the back three are drawn out of position,

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 16:35 - Sep 11 with 3434 viewsNortbankboy

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:57 - Sep 11 by Badlands

The problem with our-backs is they get stranded up files (Roberts less so) and midfield is generally quite poor so the back three are drawn out of position,

Unfortunately this the way Cooper likes to play with two wingbacks for the width.
Roberts and Bidwell will run all day and work hard.
But they have not got the change of pace to create any thing.
Paterson has got a change of pace and some tricks to beat a player.
But he is more a winger than a wingback.
All depends on what formation we play.
Have not seen the new players to see what they offer
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 17:10 - Sep 11 with 3419 views1964white

Good luck tomorrow & for the rest of the season to all you Swans fans
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 00:04 - Sep 12 with 3285 viewsKerouac

I'm not confident about tomorrow but Loyal's match thread has cheered me up.
Very funny mate

I reckon I'd go with this team (won't happen though);

------------------------- Benda ------------------------------
------------------------ Cabango ----------------------------
------- Naughton ---------------------- Guehi ------------
Roberts --------------------------------------------- Bidwell
------------------------- Fulton -------------------------------
------- Gibbs-White --------------- Grimes ---------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- Ayew ------------- Lowe ---------------------

Bench; Rodon (fitness), Rushesha, Smith, Dhanda, Routledge, Peterson/Garrick, Cullen
[Post edited 12 Sep 2020 11:52]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:34 - Sep 12 with 3216 viewsNortbankboy

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 00:04 - Sep 12 by Kerouac

I'm not confident about tomorrow but Loyal's match thread has cheered me up.
Very funny mate

I reckon I'd go with this team (won't happen though);

------------------------- Benda ------------------------------
------------------------ Cabango ----------------------------
------- Naughton ---------------------- Guehi ------------
Roberts --------------------------------------------- Bidwell
------------------------- Fulton -------------------------------
------- Gibbs-White --------------- Grimes ---------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- Ayew ------------- Lowe ---------------------

Bench; Rodon (fitness), Rushesha, Smith, Dhanda, Routledge, Peterson/Garrick, Cullen
[Post edited 12 Sep 2020 11:52]

I will be interesting to see what these new boys can do today.
I would like us to have a big target man up front.
Even if he just on the bench to give us a different options.

I would also like to see Peterson have a fair run this time
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:43 - Sep 12 with 3211 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 17:10 - Sep 11 by 1964white

Good luck tomorrow & for the rest of the season to all you Swans fans

You too 1964

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:47 - Sep 12 with 3204 viewsBrynmill_Jack

It’s a big day for Cooper. If we start badly he won’t see Christmas here

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:54 - Sep 12 with 3199 viewsBadlands

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:34 - Sep 12 by Nortbankboy

I will be interesting to see what these new boys can do today.
I would like us to have a big target man up front.
Even if he just on the bench to give us a different options.

I would also like to see Peterson have a fair run this time

TBH without a target player or players in the middle wings and wingback aren't really a lot of use.
Both Rangel and Olsen (when fit) were ideal IMO. Really good fullbacks who would overlap their winger or wide midfield player. It gave the attack far more options, was quick and put tall but the best defences on the back foot.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past.

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 09:59 - Sep 12 with 3154 viewsChubz

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:47 - Sep 12 by Brynmill_Jack

It’s a big day for Cooper. If we start badly he won’t see Christmas here

I read that xmas is cancelled ...
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:26 - Sep 12 with 3145 views1983

Come on city but got a feeling a long and sh1t season coming up.

Fact of the day the 1st KFC in the UK was opened in Preston 👍

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:28 - Sep 12 with 3142 viewsNortbankboy

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 08:54 - Sep 12 by Badlands

TBH without a target player or players in the middle wings and wingback aren't really a lot of use.
Both Rangel and Olsen (when fit) were ideal IMO. Really good fullbacks who would overlap their winger or wide midfield player. It gave the attack far more options, was quick and put tall but the best defences on the back foot.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past.

Rangel like Conner did not have pace,but he is streets ahead
And a brilliant full/wing back in his day
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:50 - Sep 12 with 3130 viewsKarlHRummenigge

Top notch matchday thread again,Thx. A pic of the Ref’s big house and a pic to rival JackHarris avatar would get the gold star. !

We may surprise a few today if cooper goes for it like he did in the run-in tournament. Players will be chomping at the bit to silence the early critics.
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 12:09 - Sep 12 with 3081 viewsNortbankboy

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:50 - Sep 12 by KarlHRummenigge

Top notch matchday thread again,Thx. A pic of the Ref’s big house and a pic to rival JackHarris avatar would get the gold star. !

We may surprise a few today if cooper goes for it like he did in the run-in tournament. Players will be chomping at the bit to silence the early critics.

Any team news yet?
Is Cooper going back to 4_3_3
Or are we going to use wingbacks
Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 12:24 - Sep 12 with 3070 viewsNotLoyal

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 10:50 - Sep 12 by KarlHRummenigge

It’s a slow process 😂 JH is my mentor 😉
Anyone today wanting to take a grip of the thread be my guest, I’m away until late tonight.
Cmon City !

OK I've changed it.

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 14:50 - Sep 12 with 2943 viewsNotLoyal

Here we go folks, Swansea City starting eleven.

Bench includes, Benda, Routledge, Peterssen, Naughton, Dhanda, Cullen.

OK I've changed it.

Preston North End v Swansea City : Matchday Thread on 15:03 - Sep 12 with 2893 viewsHighjack

These kits are far too similar.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024