Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Social Media - Abuse Of Players 11:03 - Dec 23 with 1479 viewsswancity

Acceptable and goes with the territory or unacceptable with wider implications eg mental health of young players

I’m concerned about Arsenal situation for example. Their keeper last night closed down his twitter account following abuse from “fans” following his howler when conceding the vital 2nd goal.

Personally I’ve got no time for it and feel that the football authorities need to step in...

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:05 - Dec 23 with 1466 viewsWhiterockin

Players should just stay off social media the world is full of nutters.
Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:07 - Dec 23 with 1465 viewsMrSwerve

Anything racial is obviously unacceptable, but the players lap up praise and retweets/likes etc when they are playing well, they need to take the rough with the smooth. If they cannot take it, get off social media - it’s as simple as that.

The world keeps turning when you delete Twitter.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:08 - Dec 23 with 1461 viewsMrSwerve

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:09 - Dec 23 with 1461 viewsCatullus

Criticism is fine, abuse is not. Social media can be a nightmare. The internet has way too many faceless, cowardly, loonies.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:13 - Dec 23 with 1454 viewsThornburyswan

Never acceptable in any circumstances.
Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:16 - Dec 23 with 1450 viewsNeath_Jack

Make people provide their proof of who they are, name, address etc, before they are allowed to post on social media.

Then the plonkers can be identified and prosecuted where necessary.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:20 - Dec 23 with 1441 viewsBadlands

Social media really needs to be policed.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:21 - Dec 23 with 1440 viewsswancity

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:09 - Dec 23 by Catullus

Criticism is fine, abuse is not. Social media can be a nightmare. The internet has way too many faceless, cowardly, loonies.

Agreed. But at what point does criticism become abuse? Can you differentiate one from the other? Is there a line that can be crossed?

It cannnot be acceptable for a so called fan to be able to abuse a player when a mistake is made. Or bad performances. And then to remain anonymous without accountability. It’s cowardly.

In this modern and dangerous world of social media, you only need to read comments on subjects like COVID-19 to realise that there aren’t intelligence tests before you’re allowed to express your views to the world ...

Login to get fewer ads

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:33 - Dec 23 with 1420 viewsThornburyswan

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:09 - Dec 23 by Catullus

Broadly agree but only if you have the same philosophy with all other social media contacts including friends, family etc - so if you would openly critique/criticise a family member/friend on social media then celebs/players etc would be the same.

Otherwise it falls into the “if you’ve got nothing supportive/constructive to say scroll on by (or for us older ones say nothing!)”
Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 14:17 - Dec 23 with 1361 viewsonehunglow

Posting about their incompetence is ok by me but not personal defamation.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 14:48 - Dec 23 with 1350 viewsswancity

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 14:17 - Dec 23 by onehunglow

Posting about their incompetence is fine ?

If the remarks are sensible then may be

Would :

“Hes a coward“ be acceptable ? As you’ve often referred to one of our players in this way when that’s of course out of order isn’t it ?

Possibly not on social media but anonymously on a forum is just as bad isn’t it really

People need to think a bit more don’t they

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 15:12 - Dec 23 with 1334 viewsHighjack

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 14:17 - Dec 23 by onehunglow

Suggesting a person is incompetent at their job would surely fall under the umbrella of personal defamation though.

There can’t be many jobs where you’re routinely given personal performance appraisals from the general public. It can’t be easy being a sportsman in the days of social media.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 15:36 - Dec 23 with 1311 viewsonehunglow

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 15:12 - Dec 23 by Highjack

Suggesting a person is incompetent at their job would surely fall under the umbrella of personal defamation though.

There can’t be many jobs where you’re routinely given personal performance appraisals from the general public. It can’t be easy being a sportsman in the days of social media.

No.
One can have a perfectly moral,decent peron at a job who is out of his/her comfort zone;a person to whom a job is not best suited of him/her.Life abounds with these people. They are in a majority in many places.

An obnoxious,offensive individual can be totally brilliant at the job,eg,Alex Ferguson.

So,gents,you are both utterly wrong.

As for abuse,talk to any shop worker,transport worker,police officer and indeed NHS staff and you will learn that people in thee key jobs often get abuse which is off the scale.

For a footballer ,who is often on obscene money to be called names which Keith wouldn't want me to append,is not exactly the stuff which should horrify us.

Far greater abuse /defamation has been found on this site in its previous incarnation .

So--Fred Woodman-a lovely guy (probably) but ...

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 16:05 - Dec 23 with 1289 viewsswancity

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 15:36 - Dec 23 by onehunglow

No.
One can have a perfectly moral,decent peron at a job who is out of his/her comfort zone;a person to whom a job is not best suited of him/her.Life abounds with these people. They are in a majority in many places.

An obnoxious,offensive individual can be totally brilliant at the job,eg,Alex Ferguson.

As for abuse,talk to any shop worker,transport worker,police officer and indeed NHS staff and you will learn that people in thee key jobs often get abuse which is off the scale.

For a footballer ,who is often on obscene money to be called names which Keith wouldn't want me to append,is not exactly the stuff which should horrify us.

Far greater abuse /defamation has been found on this site in its previous incarnation .

You’ve missed the point as you often do

If you walked up to a policeman or a doctor and called him a coward to his face you’d expect repercussions

And yet you consider it’s acceptable it seems on a football forum ? That can’t be right can it

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 16:28 - Dec 23 with 1271 viewsHighjack

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 15:36 - Dec 23 by onehunglow

No.

The stats currently show that Fred Woodman is the most competent keeper in the entire football league...

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 17:00 - Dec 23 with 1259 viewsLohengrin

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 16:28 - Dec 23 by Highjack

The stats currently show that Fred Woodman is the most competent keeper in the entire football league...

What do the stats say about Fred’s barber? I don’t imagine he’s emerged smelling of roses...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 17:07 - Dec 23 with 1255 viewsCatullus

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 11:33 - Dec 23 by Thornburyswan

Broadly agree but only if you have the same philosophy with all other social media contacts including friends, family etc - so if you would openly critique/criticise a family member/friend on social media then celebs/players etc would be the same.

Otherwise it falls into the “if you’ve got nothing supportive/constructive to say scroll on by (or for us older ones say nothing!)”

I ditched facebook and nearly all social media a long while back, too much nonsense to wade through.

Of course I still wade through the nonsense on here, some of it I post. Why does every post have to be supportive? If someone is wrong why can't they be told? It's not abusive to say someone is wrong and post your opinion about why they are wrong?

If anyone can't take being told they are wrong, the internet is not the place for them!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 18:13 - Dec 23 with 1216 viewsonehunglow

Social Media - Abuse Of Players on 17:07 - Dec 23 by Catullus

I ditched facebook and nearly all social media a long while back, too much nonsense to wade through.

Of course I still wade through the nonsense on here, some of it I post. Why does every post have to be supportive? If someone is wrong why can't they be told? It's not abusive to say someone is wrong and post your opinion about why they are wrong?

If anyone can't take being told they are wrong, the internet is not the place for them!

I have a facebook account mainly to keep in touch with ex colleagues and family .It's better by far than wading through the filth that was prevalent on PS .I lost far more friends on PS than facebook and twitter combined mainly as others read what you post,misunderstand or simply pervert or twist what you say and it causes much harm.

If the likes like Fred can't take some net questioning of his goal keeping ability he should simply avoid such forums. After all, he 'll be off in a few months unless our clowns for owners decide to actually buy him. I will boil my head of they do.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024