Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swiss Ramble 07:17 - May 10 with 7788 viewsDr_Winston

The best Twitter football financial expert gives his analysis on our last financial performance figures. For some reason there's no mention of the tens of millions taken out out of the club by the owners. Can't imagine why.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swiss Ramble on 10:29 - May 10 with 2815 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Where's the £6 billion the owners took out to pay for Wayne Rooney's holiday in D.C?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Swiss Ramble on 10:54 - May 10 with 2790 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 10:29 - May 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Where's the £6 billion the owners took out to pay for Wayne Rooney's holiday in D.C?

These accounts would be too recent for that mate.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Swiss Ramble on 10:58 - May 10 with 2785 viewsJoe_bradshaw

From a purely financial viewpoint the result is remarkable for a club stuck with Ayew’s wages in a division in which only two clubs made a profit and most made a massive loss.

Birch did a very good job behind the scenes.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Swiss Ramble on 13:03 - May 10 with 2718 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swiss Ramble on 10:58 - May 10 by Joe_bradshaw

From a purely financial viewpoint the result is remarkable for a club stuck with Ayew’s wages in a division in which only two clubs made a profit and most made a massive loss.

Birch did a very good job behind the scenes.

The US owners are decent guardians of the club and are not going to let their asset devalue from reckless spending. It is time for fans to put their sniffy imperialist attitude to ex colonials behind and accept they only have nationality and faith in commom with the Glazers. This is what the departing chairman said in 2016.

Having said that getting out of this league is tough. I believe with a better thought out January window Swansea missed the chance of ousting Watford from second spot.

Swansea went for insurance players Hamer / Freeman and future players Whittaker Latibeaudiere rather than say a Charlie Austin on loan,
[Post edited 10 May 2021 15:46]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Swiss Ramble on 20:47 - May 10 with 2576 views9MilesHigh

Swiss Ramble on 13:03 - May 10 by ReslovenSwan1

The US owners are decent guardians of the club and are not going to let their asset devalue from reckless spending. It is time for fans to put their sniffy imperialist attitude to ex colonials behind and accept they only have nationality and faith in commom with the Glazers. This is what the departing chairman said in 2016.

Having said that getting out of this league is tough. I believe with a better thought out January window Swansea missed the chance of ousting Watford from second spot.

Swansea went for insurance players Hamer / Freeman and future players Whittaker Latibeaudiere rather than say a Charlie Austin on loan,

Totally agree with this. I thought we'd have a go in the market January but it seems to me there's a big disconnect between "the Club" and Cooper and that was highlighted by Cooper's stubbornness to not play the American boy, simply because he wanted someone else.
Swiss Ramble on 20:54 - May 10 with 2566 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 20:47 - May 10 by 9MilesHigh

Totally agree with this. I thought we'd have a go in the market January but it seems to me there's a big disconnect between "the Club" and Cooper and that was highlighted by Cooper's stubbornness to not play the American boy, simply because he wanted someone else.

"thought we'd have a go"

Meaning that you think we did lack ambition in the window?

Or is it that Cooper's team selection was justified rather than 'stubborn' seeing as we won 5 of the 7 games Arriola was available to play for us?

Swiss Ramble on 00:25 - May 11 with 2500 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 20:47 - May 10 by 9MilesHigh

You are again making up a scenario and passing it off as fact. You do a whole host of mental gymnastics in your head to make two ends meet that you wish to connect.

Jordan Morris was here for 6 games - he played in all of them, except the very first game. Arriola made 3 appearances but clearly felt he wasn’t good enough.

Good on him for going with what he thought instead of what others thought... based on nothing.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swiss Ramble on 00:31 - May 11 with 2492 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swiss Ramble on 20:54 - May 10 by Chief

"thought we'd have a go"

Meaning that you think we did lack ambition in the window?

Or is it that Cooper's team selection was justified rather than 'stubborn' seeing as we won 5 of the 7 games Arriola was available to play for us?

For a fit International players he saw 17 minuites of league action and 25min v the best team in Europe in the FA cup.

I am sure Cooper is a good coach but he was never given a chance winning or not. 17 minuites is not enough to make any sort of assessment.

The two US people were brought in because they were quality fit and needing game time. It gave the coach high quality options to rest his big starts like Ayew Lowe and Roberts. Ayew has never been rested in the league. The January window is notoriously difficult. They were good options.

Login to get fewer ads

Swiss Ramble on 00:46 - May 11 with 2491 viewsBadlands

Swiss Ramble on 13:03 - May 10 by ReslovenSwan1

Rubbish, the reason we failed to get automatic promotion was Cooper.
We have the players, they have the qualities.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swiss Ramble on 00:59 - May 11 with 2489 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 00:31 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

For a fit International players he saw 17 minuites of league action and 25min v the best team in Europe in the FA cup.

I am sure Cooper is a good coach but he was never given a chance winning or not. 17 minuites is not enough to make any sort of assessment.

The two US people were brought in because they were quality fit and needing game time. It gave the coach high quality options to rest his big starts like Ayew Lowe and Roberts. Ayew has never been rested in the league. The January window is notoriously difficult. They were good options.

How do you know how 'fit' Arriola was? Coming off a bad injury and not having a full season fits into Cooper's testimony of him not being up to speed when he arrived.

Who said it needed to be an assessment? Cooper had no idea he was going injured after 7 games with us. Maybe Arriola could have played more in the longer term had he not got injured?

Quality-debatable, fit-even more unlikely, needing game time, yes, but not at the expense of our team to improve their situation for their American clubs.

Cooper did rest players - Morris replaced someone 5 or 6 times. Arriola did 3 times. It's very naive to think they should have been starting games when we were on great form having just arrived from half a mls pre season and injury.

And you seem to forget - they got injured and had to go back. Maybe Cooper was going to use them more when he thought they'd more settled in and at ease with the pace of the Championship. That scenario definitely fits the facts doesn't it?
[Post edited 11 May 2021 1:03]

Swiss Ramble on 01:01 - May 11 with 2488 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 00:46 - May 11 by Badlands

Rubbish, the reason we failed to get automatic promotion was Cooper.
We have the players, they have the qualities.

We do not have better players and quality than the top 3 teams above us im sorry.

Lovely to think that we do, but we don't.

Don't you despise our goalkeeper for a start?

Swiss Ramble on 01:33 - May 11 with 2476 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 00:31 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

Declan John was an international when he was with us and Cardiff too. Doesn’t mean he deserved to play... largely because he wasn’t very good.

Cooper didn’t just see him for 17 minutes, he saw him every single day. Far more than any of us have.

Swiss Ramble on 06:24 - May 11 with 2429 views34dfgdf54

Swiss Ramble on 00:59 - May 11 by Chief

How do you know how 'fit' Arriola was? Coming off a bad injury and not having a full season fits into Cooper's testimony of him not being up to speed when he arrived.

Who said it needed to be an assessment? Cooper had no idea he was going injured after 7 games with us. Maybe Arriola could have played more in the longer term had he not got injured?

Quality-debatable, fit-even more unlikely, needing game time, yes, but not at the expense of our team to improve their situation for their American clubs.

Cooper did rest players - Morris replaced someone 5 or 6 times. Arriola did 3 times. It's very naive to think they should have been starting games when we were on great form having just arrived from half a mls pre season and injury.

And you seem to forget - they got injured and had to go back. Maybe Cooper was going to use them more when he thought they'd more settled in and at ease with the pace of the Championship. That scenario definitely fits the facts doesn't it?
[Post edited 11 May 2021 1:03]

It doesn’t fit what Ariolla has said. The manager never had any interest in using him, as a matter of fact Cooper spelt that out during his press duties the day we signed him. It was clear
Swiss Ramble on 07:16 - May 11 with 2400 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 06:24 - May 11 by 34dfgdf54

It doesn’t fit what Ariolla has said. The manager never had any interest in using him, as a matter of fact Cooper spelt that out during his press duties the day we signed him. It was clear

With good reason, doesn’t sound like he’s very good.

Middle of the road Championship player who isn’t very gifted technically but is in the National side due to how hardworking and full of running he is. That was the word before he came wasn’t it?

Winger or right back, with the US guys not sure if he will be able to oust Roberts. Which he didn’t... and realising we don’t play wingers.

Strange that people are suggesting he play in central midfield, when he sounds nothing of the sort. “Not a great passer” and not very technically gifted is what was said.

Looks to be a signing that didn’t fit anywhere that was signed for reasons other than footballing ones. I can fully understand Cooper being furious when other positions needed to be filled in January yet the budget went on commercial signings instead of useful ones.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 7:43]

Swiss Ramble on 08:43 - May 11 with 2350 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 06:24 - May 11 by 34dfgdf54

Player doesn't break into team during loan spell.

Hardly unusual when the players blames the manager after the loan spells over.

Cooper did use him, he didn't do anything in the time he had. If he'd been here longer maybe he'd have got more minutes. You can't expect Cooper to throw him in not match fit (another poster even stated these Americans needed games), coming off a terrible injury. We weren't playing injuries. He should realise that himself instead of moaning. Hes not a kid.

You turn up into a highly performing team (as we were at the time), you can't expect to stroll in. You knuckle down and work hard. Not moan and pout.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 8:45]

Swiss Ramble on 08:52 - May 11 with 2334 views34dfgdf54

Swiss Ramble on 08:43 - May 11 by Chief

Player doesn't break into team during loan spell.

Hardly unusual when the players blames the manager after the loan spells over.

Cooper did use him, he didn't do anything in the time he had. If he'd been here longer maybe he'd have got more minutes. You can't expect Cooper to throw him in not match fit (another poster even stated these Americans needed games), coming off a terrible injury. We weren't playing injuries. He should realise that himself instead of moaning. Hes not a kid.

You turn up into a highly performing team (as we were at the time), you can't expect to stroll in. You knuckle down and work hard. Not moan and pout.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 8:45]

I’m not surprised he didn’t manage to do anything in 17 minutes was it?

Better than Dhanda. Zero doubt about it.
Swiss Ramble on 08:59 - May 11 with 2326 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 08:52 - May 11 by 34dfgdf54

Different position to Dhanda, it’s irrelevant.

He’s a better right back probably.

Swiss Ramble on 09:05 - May 11 with 2324 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 08:52 - May 11 by 34dfgdf54

He may have turned out to be, but its unlikely he was fully match fit when he arrived, while Dhanda was (having had a pre-season) and trained with the team all season. Dhanda also didn't start any games during Arriola's spell anyway. We were winning games (but narrowly), its obvious the managers going to stick with players he knows mainly during that time. And it proved to be the correct decision, demonstrated by the results (which the inclusion of Arriola wouldn't realistically have altered for the better).

Swiss Ramble on 09:11 - May 11 with 2309 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 08:59 - May 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Different position to Dhanda, it’s irrelevant.

He’s a better right back probably.

Well that's another thing.

A lot of his games for USA prior to joining us were in right midfield (where he came on against Man City).

And at that time he was never going to displace a Connor Roberts firing on all cylinders.

Swiss Ramble on 09:12 - May 11 with 2307 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 09:05 - May 11 by Chief

He may have turned out to be, but its unlikely he was fully match fit when he arrived, while Dhanda was (having had a pre-season) and trained with the team all season. Dhanda also didn't start any games during Arriola's spell anyway. We were winning games (but narrowly), its obvious the managers going to stick with players he knows mainly during that time. And it proved to be the correct decision, demonstrated by the results (which the inclusion of Arriola wouldn't realistically have altered for the better).

Chief, any idea of the last game he played in central midfield in his career? Seems primarily a winger and right back.

Other guys don’t seem to know.

Seems strange for a player who seems to be poor technically and poor passing. Even the US fans posting on planet swans don’t see him as any kind of central midfield player.

Where has this come from exactly?

Swiss Ramble on 09:27 - May 11 with 2298 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 09:12 - May 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Chief, any idea of the last game he played in central midfield in his career? Seems primarily a winger and right back.

Other guys don’t seem to know.

Seems strange for a player who seems to be poor technically and poor passing. Even the US fans posting on planet swans don’t see him as any kind of central midfield player.

Where has this come from exactly?

Well I'm no expert on this guy, I've only seen the same clips as other Swans fans and the same information as everyone else. His Wikipedia page says he's a winger and i listened to a few podcasts etc and they said the same. Other sites list him as a right midfield but has played on the right wing and right back.

Records do show that he only ever plays wide for USA though, obviously don't know how reliable they are.

Club games show a mixed back (including AM), but he hadn't played any club games since June 2019, so it's hard to judge.

Swiss Ramble on 09:34 - May 11 with 2291 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 09:27 - May 11 by Chief

Well I'm no expert on this guy, I've only seen the same clips as other Swans fans and the same information as everyone else. His Wikipedia page says he's a winger and i listened to a few podcasts etc and they said the same. Other sites list him as a right midfield but has played on the right wing and right back.

Records do show that he only ever plays wide for USA though, obviously don't know how reliable they are.

Club games show a mixed back (including AM), but he hadn't played any club games since June 2019, so it's hard to judge.

Yeah I gathered the same. Very odd angle of attack to suggest he should be playing in a position he rarely plays in.

Especially when pointing to his presence in the US National team as a reason he should be playing, except he doesn’t play there in CM. I am assuming down to his limited technical abilities.

So the argument should really be should he have played more instead of Roberts. It’s an obvious no to me.... and most importantly Cooper.

Swiss Ramble on 12:29 - May 11 with 2238 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swiss Ramble on 09:11 - May 11 by Chief

Well that's another thing.

A lot of his games for USA prior to joining us were in right midfield (where he came on against Man City).

And at that time he was never going to displace a Connor Roberts firing on all cylinders.

Connor Roberts has been overplayed and had to be rested at a critical part of the season, associated with a string of "lack lustre" performances .

Arriola is a better goal scorer than Connor. This is the point. Arriola was sidelined used for 17 mins while Conor was driven into the ground. The form of Connor, Lowe and Bidwell fell off a cliff. Bidwell was rotated with Manning a bit. It reamins to be seen how fresh they are in the play offs. The proof will be in the pudding.

Swiss Ramble on 12:53 - May 11 with 2220 viewsChief

Swiss Ramble on 12:29 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

Connor Roberts has been overplayed and had to be rested at a critical part of the season, associated with a string of "lack lustre" performances .

Arriola is a better goal scorer than Connor. This is the point. Arriola was sidelined used for 17 mins while Conor was driven into the ground. The form of Connor, Lowe and Bidwell fell off a cliff. Bidwell was rotated with Manning a bit. It reamins to be seen how fresh they are in the play offs. The proof will be in the pudding.

So how many of the 7 matches that Arriola was here for do you think he should have replaced Roberts in the team for? Think about this logically now. Arriola was only here for 7 games. Do you honestly think that 1 or 2 starts during that time playing would have actually have benefitted Roberts? No in reality is a negligible difference. And this is assuming Arriola was actually fit enough to start games at that point. We could break down game by game, but we know at that time Roberts was superb. The team would have been weakened. No one else is getting us those 3 points v Forest home.

You're acting like Arriola was here all season again.

Swiss Ramble on 13:41 - May 11 with 2205 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swiss Ramble on 12:29 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

That’s because Arriola is a winger and Connor is a wing back.

Put Arriola at wing back and naturally his scoring record goes down, then put him in a more challenging league (not one in which Bradley Wright Phillips is a scoring icon) and that goes down even further.

Bradley Wright Phillips had 5 full seasons in the Championship. His best return was 8 goals in 39 games. In those 5 Championship seasons he scored 27 goals in 135 games. 1 every 5 games.

He moves to the MLS (after spending 4 of his previous 5 seasons in league 1)... and in his first full season scores 27 in 32 and kept that kind of record up for the next 5 seasons without much sweat.

The league is not good despite what some may claim. The fact Arriola is still there at 26 and not really impressing the fans of that league who make such comments about his lack of passing ability and how lacking he is technically suggests this “Arriola was the saviour” nonsense is just that.. nonsense.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024