Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric Cars 20:03 - Jul 25 with 11995 viewsonehunglow

OK then,who's gone the whole way.
Are we ready at forecourts nationwide and at repair shops

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 22:28 - Jul 25 with 1766 viewsjack_lord

Electric Cars on 21:39 - Jul 25 by JACKMANANDBOY

No, I'm not saying that, I'm looking at the fully absorbed CO2 case for my car that already exists and I've included a reference to the CO2 needed to scrap it.

Just to be clear, it is going to be scrapped whether you get a new one or not.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Electric Cars on 23:11 - Jul 25 with 1738 viewsCatullus

Electric Cars on 22:27 - Jul 25 by swan85

I have a fully electric. Range is 330 miles.

I know people are concerned about charging and range. But unless you drive a lot of miles each day (eg sales rep), then charging at home is easier than going to a petrol station - I appreciate this isn’t an option for everyone, flats etc. But every 3 pin plug is a petrol station- just charging speed.

When out and about there are good fast chargers which make it nearly as quick as a petrol station. Some chargers are about 250kwh which for a car like a Tesla will charge it empty to full in 10 mins.

It’s just a change in way we think about journey. I find it easy to leave charging overnight on the driveway whilst i sleep. In a normal year under my old car I probably filled up away from 6-7 times a year…..of course electricity generation isn’t wholly green…..but at some point we need to consider using tidal to generate power…..it’s predictable and as an island we could lead the world in developing it….whether the Swansea lagoon or even a barrage across the Severn - which would produce about the same as Hinckley C, with all the costs that has and long term decommissioning etc….

Given my low mileage, I'd much prefer it if public transport in the area was improved so my wife could actually catch a bus to work and back home.

I'd be more likely to spend a couple of K on an electric bike if they'd put in safe places to park them. All I need is more dry sunny weather and it's a goer! So not then. Warmer maybe but wetter.

Back to public transport, if my wife could use it we wouldn't really need a car. At current figures, if we didn't have the car anymore we'd save about £300 per month. I could afford that electric bike and some very good wet gear.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Electric Cars on 07:50 - Jul 26 with 1707 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Electric Cars on 22:28 - Jul 25 by jack_lord

Just to be clear, it is going to be scrapped whether you get a new one or not.

Yes, the costs of production are already sunk so it's a case of running CO2 and scrappage CO2 versus the 9 tonnes of CO2 and reduced CO2 running costs. So there's a good case to defer especially as production CO2 is falling.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Electric Cars on 08:34 - Jul 26 with 1692 viewsjack_lord

Electric Cars on 07:50 - Jul 26 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yes, the costs of production are already sunk so it's a case of running CO2 and scrappage CO2 versus the 9 tonnes of CO2 and reduced CO2 running costs. So there's a good case to defer especially as production CO2 is falling.

I'd agree with that. Are EV cars likely to last longer than the ICE version? Are manufacturers having none of it because they want people to renew as much as possible to make money?
In the long term more electricity is going to be generated by green energy so buying an electric model and hanging on to it makes sense especially as the EV cars drop in price and petrol/diesel continues to spiral.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Electric Cars on 08:48 - Jul 26 with 1686 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 21:22 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Is that the Electric version?

Ye.
Got it with a deal for Police Officers .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 09:17 - Jul 26 with 1669 viewsItchySphincter

Electric Cars on 21:21 - Jul 25 by felixstowe_jack

The abto ekectic cars faction are in action today.

Yrs they are more expensive to buy but prices are falling as mass production of cards and batteries ramp up.

They are considerable easier to maintain, no gearbox, no radiator, no anti freeze, coolant , no cooling system, no starter motor, no alternators, no waste engine oil , no exhaust fumes or exhaust system. No precious metals in exhaust system for criminals to steal

Far cheaper to run per mile .

Mine for example are charged from my two solar panel system and I still put 2MW of power back into the grid which is 4 times the power I used from charging station on motorway journeys.

The motorway charging system is currently being updated and all motorway station will have 4 times as many fast chargers than they currently have by the end of the year.

Less type wear and rubber pollution as acceleration is smooth without a gear box. Also with regeneration braking very little energy is wasted or rubber left on the road by harsh braking in fact on a motorway it is possible to drive 100s without touching the brakes pedal at all.

Yes all is not perfect yet but they said the combustion engine would never replace the horse and cart

What's abto ekectic? Serious question, never heard of it. Is it a car make?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2021 9:18]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Electric Cars on 11:40 - Jul 26 with 1641 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Yrs they are more expensive to buy but prices are falling as mass production of cards and batteries ramp up.

They are considerable easier to maintain, no gearbox, no radiator, no anti freeze, coolant , no cooling system, no starter motor, no alternators, no waste engine oil , no exhaust fumes or exhaust system. No precious metals in exhaust system for criminals to steal

Mine for example are charged from my two solar panel system and I still put 2MW of power back into the grid which is 4 times the power I used from charging station on motorway journeys.

The motorway charging system is currently being updated and all motorway station will have 4 times as many fast chargers than they currently have by the end of the year.

Less type wear and rubber pollution as acceleration is smooth without a gear box. Also with regeneration braking very little energy is wasted or rubber left on the road by harsh braking in fact on a motorway it is possible to drive 100s without touching the brakes pedal at all.

Yes all is not perfect yet but they said the combustion engine would never replace the horse and cart

You have a really great setup, but how much did it cost you.
Did you buy the car new?
For how much?
Was it subsidized?
How much were the Solar Panels?
Were they subsidized?
Do you get paid over the market price for 2MW of power back into the grid?
Have you got an actual EV charging station?
If so how much did that cost?
Do you have the EV serviced?
How much cheaper is it than an ICE car service?
What is your annual mileage?
What is the longest trip you have done in the car and how long did it take?
Electric Cars on 15:17 - Jul 26 with 1613 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 11:40 - Jul 26 by A_Fans_Dad

Did you buy the car new?
For how much?
Was it subsidized?
Were they subsidized?

Here's someone who's desperately yearning for a return to the age of steam .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Electric Cars on 15:22 - Jul 26 with 1611 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 15:17 - Jul 26 by Boundy

Here's someone who's desperately yearning for a return to the age of steam .

No, I am trying to establish what the rate of return will be on his outlay to calculate the payback time.

I know such concepts are way over your head, but if he answers you might just lear something, then again maybe you won't.
Electric Cars on 17:41 - Jul 26 with 1593 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 15:22 - Jul 26 by A_Fans_Dad

No, I am trying to establish what the rate of return will be on his outlay to calculate the payback time.

I know such concepts are way over your head, but if he answers you might just lear something, then again maybe you won't.

No you say , your argument against renewable energy has always been its cheaper to use fossil fuel, sorry but technology has moved on , perhaps you should .

Electric Cars on 18:31 - Jul 26 with 1577 viewsmonmouth

I went the full hog for a rampant snorting V8 while I still had one last chance. I’m such a naughty boy. On the plus side I haven’t touched any meat since 2014 and the central heating is never above 16 degrees.

Oh, and I can’t afford to go very far in the car.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Electric Cars on 18:41 - Jul 26 with 1573 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 17:41 - Jul 26 by Boundy

No you say , your argument against renewable energy has always been its cheaper to use fossil fuel, sorry but technology has moved on , perhaps you should .

No electrical generation techonology has gone backwards.
The current electrical demand is 35GW.
Wind capacity of 20GW is producing 1.2GW
Solar capicity of 20GW is producing 2.89GW.
So from a total of 40GW of installed capacity we are getting 4GW from your so called modern technology.
If we had to rely on it, we would not having this debate on here because there would be no computers, TV, no Supermarket Tills, no Industry, in fact very little of anything of what we totally rely on.

So which part of reality don't you understand?
Electric Cars on 21:40 - Jul 26 with 1532 viewsBarrySwan

I'd be surprised if commissioning and buying a highly expensive EV car which I couldn't afford anyway in place of my reliable 19 year old Rover makes any sense financially or environmentally.

I have nothing against EV cars other than of course the little matter of child miners in Africa burrowing into the ground for the battery materials, plus the national grid provision for fuelling all these cars plus the logistics of actually recharging the vehicles outside homes.Plus of course mileage anxiety while you're driving

However one question that somebody here may be able to answer for me is this:-

Watching a recent programme on EV cars the presenter claimed that if you have for example a car with a 100 mile range you shouldn't recharge until the battery is nearly exhausted to prevent premature reduced battery capacity.

i.e. you shouldn't pop out to work one morning use 30 of your 100 mile range then just plug your car in when you return home to top up to 100 miles range for the next day but that you should if possible run your range down to as low as you dare before recharging.

Which seems totally impractical to me.
Electric Cars on 21:44 - Jul 26 with 1530 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 11:40 - Jul 26 by A_Fans_Dad

Did you buy the car new?
For how much?
Was it subsidized?
Were they subsidized?

Yes service charges are a lot lower from even a main dealer.
My first solar panel system was expensive as solar technology was expensive at the time I do get a subsidy for every kw generated.

The second solar panel system including battery storage was less than half the price of my first system . No subsidy at all cost effective as I use less than half a kilowatt a day . Will pay for itself within 6 years.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Electric Cars on 21:50 - Jul 26 with 1525 viewsWhiterockin

Is it true that the maximum life of the battery is 7 years then needs to be replaced at between £4K-£5K a time?
Electric Cars on 21:52 - Jul 26 with 1520 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 21:44 - Jul 26 by felixstowe_jack

Yes service charges are a lot lower from even a main dealer.
My first solar panel system was expensive as solar technology was expensive at the time I do get a subsidy for every kw generated.

The second solar panel system including battery storage was less than half the price of my first system . No subsidy at all cost effective as I use less than half a kilowatt a day . Will pay for itself within 6 years.

Thankyou.
Electric Cars on 22:01 - Jul 26 with 1511 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 21:40 - Jul 26 by BarrySwan

I'd be surprised if commissioning and buying a highly expensive EV car which I couldn't afford anyway in place of my reliable 19 year old Rover makes any sense financially or environmentally.

I have nothing against EV cars other than of course the little matter of child miners in Africa burrowing into the ground for the battery materials, plus the national grid provision for fuelling all these cars plus the logistics of actually recharging the vehicles outside homes.Plus of course mileage anxiety while you're driving

Watching a recent programme on EV cars the presenter claimed that if you have for example a car with a 100 mile range you shouldn't recharge until the battery is nearly exhausted to prevent premature reduced battery capacity.

i.e. you shouldn't pop out to work one morning use 30 of your 100 mile range then just plug your car in when you return home to top up to 100 miles range for the next day but that you should if possible run your range down to as low as you dare before recharging.

If they are anything like mobile phone batteries, it's better to top them up than to let them run flat and then charge them
Electric Cars on 22:07 - Jul 26 with 1513 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 21:50 - Jul 26 by Whiterockin

Is it true that the maximum life of the battery is 7 years then needs to be replaced at between £4K-£5K a time?

Battery warranty is 8 year or 100,000 miles. If battery performance drops by more thsn 10% in those 8 years they replace any faulty cells .

The battery will not suddenly die after 8 years though there will be fall of in performance over the years. A bit like a normal petrol engine which can have a serious fault anytime and has a far shortage warranty.

How msny people actually keep a car for that long anyway.

EV are 6% more expensive to insure than the equivalent petrol engine car though research by TRL shows they are 30% less likely to be in an accident.

EV are also less likely to break down than petrol cars due to having far few mechanical parts to fail
[Post edited 26 Jul 2021 22:14]

Electric Cars on 03:58 - Jul 27 with 1461 viewsWhiterockin

Electric Cars on 22:07 - Jul 26 by felixstowe_jack

Battery warranty is 8 year or 100,000 miles. If battery performance drops by more thsn 10% in those 8 years they replace any faulty cells .

The battery will not suddenly die after 8 years though there will be fall of in performance over the years. A bit like a normal petrol engine which can have a serious fault anytime and has a far shortage warranty.

EV are 6% more expensive to insure than the equivalent petrol engine car though research by TRL shows they are 30% less likely to be in an accident.

EV are also less likely to break down than petrol cars due to having far few mechanical parts to fail

"How msny people actually keep a car for that long anyway."

Thanks for the response. I was more concerned about the resale value if you were to trade in after 4-5 years as the low battery life left, or if you were to buy a 5 year old car a couple of years down the line you could have a massive battery bill. Is the £4K-£5K battery replacement cost correct.
Electric Cars on 04:03 - Jul 27 with 1452 viewsJack59

Electric Cars on 20:34 - Jul 25 by britferry

well when they bring in these new 20mph rules for all built-up streets, it'll hardly be worth having a big petrol guzzler

20 mph limits, traffic calming measures, road markings that make overtaking illegal, priority to bicycles who pay no road tax or insurance, effectively meaning whatever vehicle you drive, you are still going to end up behind the same cyclist at the next set of lights. I remember when motoring organisations like the AA and RAC used to represent the views and interests of their members. Now they just run breakdown trucks.
Our LA has prioritised a policy of reducing carriageway space, and turning roads into pedestrianised areas for students, who contribute relatively very little to the local economy.
Car ownership was down last year, and the small increase in the number of cars on the roads in the last five years, should not justify the snarl ups we've had to endure.
The number of cars per household has gone up from 1.2 to 1.3 in the last few years, and this could potentially mitigate the small increase that shows up in the previous figures.
But what we've had is, one set of road works after another, very poor, and possibly deliberately bad traffic management by local authorities, who have one eye on the future of Congestion charging,
First create congestion where there was little, then slap congestion charges on the drivers.
That's what it.s all about, and it's what is on the way for us in a few years. I think the Mafia were far more trustworthy than national or regional politicians.
Don't bother anymore looking in the skies for ufo's and aliens, I think they're down at ground level and many are in public office. Names and faces of these individuals appear for a few days only every five years. After the election, they dematerialise again, so that they cannot be detected in any way by local residents, or Council Tax payers
Electric Cars on 07:46 - Jul 27 with 1415 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 21:40 - Jul 26 by BarrySwan

Not true there is such restriction using home chargers. This is some evidence that if you continually use rapid chargers you may reduce battery life. The manufacturers advice is to charge at home whenever you want to. Most people only use rapid chargers on motorway journeys so not that often for the average driver.

As part of the annual service you get a computer generated report on your battery which includes how you have been charging it.

Electric Cars on 09:10 - Jul 27 with 1378 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 07:46 - Jul 27 by felixstowe_jack

Not true there is such restriction using home chargers. This is some evidence that if you continually use rapid chargers you may reduce battery life. The manufacturers advice is to charge at home whenever you want to. Most people only use rapid chargers on motorway journeys so not that often for the average driver.

As part of the annual service you get a computer generated report on your battery which includes how you have been charging it.

I don't know about others, but I don't let my petrol or diesel fuel tanks go almost empty before filling back up. I would want to do the same if i had an Electric vehicle
Electric Cars on 12:54 - Jul 27 with 1355 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 22:07 - Jul 26 by felixstowe_jack

"How msny people actually keep a car for that long anyway."
You miss the point entirely, the majority of people are buying and running second hand cars, not new ones.
Electric Cars on 13:56 - Jul 27 with 1339 viewsBarrySwan

Electric Cars on 22:01 - Jul 26 by controversial_jack

If they are anything like mobile phone batteries, it's better to top them up than to let them run flat and then charge them

What about the fact that its almost impossible to put out fires that may occur in EVs?

My friend who races his own cars on the track says that they won't allow EVs on the track in races because they can't put out the fires from the batteries.

There was of course the footage a few months ago of a fire dept in The US using about a trazillion gallons of water to put out a fire in a Tesla and then eventually having to give up and watch it burn.
Electric Cars on 14:34 - Jul 27 with 1327 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 13:56 - Jul 27 by BarrySwan

What about the fact that its almost impossible to put out fires that may occur in EVs?

My friend who races his own cars on the track says that they won't allow EVs on the track in races because they can't put out the fires from the batteries.

There was of course the footage a few months ago of a fire dept in The US using about a trazillion gallons of water to put out a fire in a Tesla and then eventually having to give up and watch it burn.

Not a great deal you can do with petrol diesel engine vehicles either , How many of todays drivers carry an extinguisher of sufficient quantity to douse a fire , not many I'm guessing and even less who bother to check its still usable

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024