Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have We stopped taking the knee ? 20:46 - Aug 1 with 8559 viewsFlashberryjack

Have we stopped taking the knee for good, or have we only stopped for friendlies.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:13 - Aug 7 with 1050 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:08 - Aug 7 by Thornburyswan

Sorry Dr, it’s just taking the knee happens in all sorts of situations e.g. proposals, doing up your shoes, praying to name but 3 it is nothing like a fascist or nazi salute or the raised black power fist.

I didn’t suggest the players were stupid just that they are choosing to TKK - just to crystal clear they are making a collective decision to do it, bit like a pre-match huddle - so they would be well within their rights to be disappointed if their own fans booed it. I’m fine with the fans choosing to do that but please don’t pretend that the players are fine with it.

Those are practical reasons, these are political, the links are obvious.

A bit like saying a Nazi salute at a football game isn't offensive as it’s essentially the same as raising your hand for a bus…

This whole taking the knee thing started as a BLM affiliated support, it was billed as such by many of these clubs themselves over social media with the picture of their players taking the knee with all the BLM hashtags you could muster… you can’t just expect people to forget that political link now they have realised what BLM is all about while keeping that gesture.

It’s already been established and people will continue to boo because of it. If people want to pretend that there is no link to BLM and everyone booing is a dirty racist then they can, but are they fooling anyone anymore? Really?

I doubt they are even fooling themselves.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2021 17:19]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:20 - Aug 7 with 1041 viewsThornburyswan

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:13 - Aug 7 by Dr_Parnassus

Those are practical reasons, these are political, the links are obvious.

A bit like saying a Nazi salute at a football game isn't offensive as it’s essentially the same as raising your hand for a bus…

This whole taking the knee thing started as a BLM affiliated support, it was billed as such by many of these clubs themselves over social media with the picture of their players taking the knee with all the BLM hashtags you could muster… you can’t just expect people to forget that political link now they have realised what BLM is all about while keeping that gesture.

It’s already been established and people will continue to boo because of it. If people want to pretend that there is no link to BLM and everyone booing is a dirty racist then they can, but are they fooling anyone anymore? Really?

I doubt they are even fooling themselves.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2021 17:19]

Hey ho we’ll have to agree to disagree, I have no problem with it.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:16 - Aug 22 with 872 viewsGwyn737

I’ve been to both Swans home league games and yesterday I went to Brighton vs Watford.

I’ve not heard a “boo” yet.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:26 - Aug 22 with 857 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:16 - Aug 22 by Gwyn737

I’ve been to both Swans home league games and yesterday I went to Brighton vs Watford.

I’ve not heard a “boo” yet.

Others have reported booing, depends where you are sat I guess. It will always receive a mixed reception no matter where it’s done.

Clapping as an action is always louder (140+ decibels) than a low tone boo (around 70 decibels), so if done simultaneously with people clapping, one will be heard over the other, unless in the immediate vicinity. Which is consistent with what others have said.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:31 - Aug 22 with 845 viewsGwyn737

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:26 - Aug 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Others have reported booing, depends where you are sat I guess. It will always receive a mixed reception no matter where it’s done.

Clapping as an action is always louder (140+ decibels) than a low tone boo (around 70 decibels), so if done simultaneously with people clapping, one will be heard over the other, unless in the immediate vicinity. Which is consistent with what others have said.

Obviously not conclusive but I sat in opposite corners at the two Swansea games and pretty much right next to the Watford fans in the more vociferous Brighton section of the ground.

Haven’t heard a single boo.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 13:07 - Aug 22 with 811 viewsWhiterockin

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 12:31 - Aug 22 by Gwyn737

Obviously not conclusive but I sat in opposite corners at the two Swansea games and pretty much right next to the Watford fans in the more vociferous Brighton section of the ground.

Haven’t heard a single boo.

TBH I heard booing at both home games, but it was drowned out by the applause.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 15:02 - Aug 22 with 767 viewsJack59

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 13:07 - Aug 22 by Whiterockin

TBH I heard booing at both home games, but it was drowned out by the applause.

If I turned up I would certainly be booing, but like many others who are strongly opposed to this particular gesture, I am leaving my seat empty. The statistic won't show up on the attendance figure, but you will see the empty seats at the stadium.
When they stop this pathetic gesture, I and others will return to my seat.
With regard to applause for kneeling, there's always been loud applause just before kick off, the players and media are taking advantage of those moments.
But If many are actually ignorant enough to applaud the gesture and vile movement,
I say this ''Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups''
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 15:16 - Aug 22 with 756 viewsTreforys_Jack

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:20 - Aug 7 by Thornburyswan

Nor me, if thats what they want to do, fine. No so keen on the "black power salute " though.
Login to get fewer ads

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 16:26 - Aug 22 with 734 viewsFireboy2

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 15:02 - Aug 22 by Jack59

If I turned up I would certainly be booing, but like many others who are strongly opposed to this particular gesture, I am leaving my seat empty. The statistic won't show up on the attendance figure, but you will see the empty seats at the stadium.
When they stop this pathetic gesture, I and others will return to my seat.
With regard to applause for kneeling, there's always been loud applause just before kick off, the players and media are taking advantage of those moments.
But If many are actually ignorant enough to applaud the gesture and vile movement,
I say this ''Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups''

So let's get this right, you arent going to watch the swans because of the kneeling?

Fvck me sideways, you need to get a life.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:43 - Aug 22 with 673 viewsonehunglow

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 16:26 - Aug 22 by Fireboy2

So let's get this right, you arent going to watch the swans because of the kneeling?

It's an odd stance to take Eddie.
That said,I am not a great fan of it but would rather bathe my eyes in caustic soda than boo at any game. I d rather chuck a few invectives around.

I'm sorted for parking too and cheap beer,some luncheon and a welcome.

Sherbets for the selected

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 18:24 - Aug 22 with 676 viewsJack59

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 16:26 - Aug 22 by Fireboy2

That's right, if they did the white supremacy 'Ok' hand sign, or other gestures like a nazi salute, I would also not turn up. A football stadium is no place for such gestures, and no good will ever come of it, it will only encourage a negative reaction. They need to concentrate on doing what they're paid for.
It's all about having principles, it's a personal thing. Some Championship footballers, and people like you can do whatever you like. I strongly disagree with it, but I wouldn't suggest you need to get a life, only a brain.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 19:02 - Aug 22 with 647 viewsFireboy2

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 18:24 - Aug 22 by Jack59

That's right, if they did the white supremacy 'Ok' hand sign, or other gestures like a nazi salute, I would also not turn up. A football stadium is no place for such gestures, and no good will ever come of it, it will only encourage a negative reaction. They need to concentrate on doing what they're paid for.
It's all about having principles, it's a personal thing. Some Championship footballers, and people like you can do whatever you like. I strongly disagree with it, but I wouldn't suggest you need to get a life, only a brain.

I haven't got a brain eh?

I've got morals though, I have a quality which means that I don't have any prejudices against anyone, I give every new person I meet the time of day, no matter where they come from and no matter what colour skin they have, if they are rude or p!ss me off I either ignore them or tell them what I think of them.

Fwiw I believe in the point of what the bending of the knee means but I do think it's gone too far BUT it doesn't bother me one little bit, if players want to put their point across then just let them, my original point to you was I just don't understand why anyone would (after all the sheeite we have been through with covid) miss watching the team they love, baffling, just baffling.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 19:17 - Aug 22 with 637 viewsmajorraglan

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 17:20 - Aug 7 by Thornburyswan

I don’t have a problem with it either.

Given that South West Wales isn’t as multicultural as some parts of the UK I’d guess most of us posting on here are white, heterosexual males and have never been subjected to racist, homophobic abuse or been the victim of a hate crime. It may even be the case that a large number of posters on here don’t have regular interactions with persons from other ethnic groups and have no inclination as to the problems some people experience on a regular basis.

Like many professional football teams, Swansea City is a multicultural team and the clubs players have come from many different communities (and still do) across the globe. The club and it’s players will have a lot more experience of / knowledge of the extent of racism in football, in our community and further afield; they will also have a greater appreciation of the impact it’s having on employees and colleagues. If the club and players feel there’s still a requirement to take the knee to draw attention to racism because it’s continues to be an issue then it’s good enough for me.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 0:09]
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 19:39 - Aug 22 with 615 viewsonehunglow

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 18:24 - Aug 22 by Jack59

I am one of those who has p1ssed off Eddie Fireboy because mainly I do not subscribe to the extreme left wing views he has which oversees all he does and says. He iS also one who bears grudges too and cannot engage without getting stroppy which is evidenced here with you. those whom he ignores are invariably viewed through a political prism .

He's a decent guy though and a good family man and it disappoints me his views on me are based on the filth that a notoriously lying poster has appended.

I have morals too Eddie,me ol mucker and I'll be looking forward to bumping into you at Deepdale for a chat,if you want. If you don't that s fine too.

I can also be one who will tell people to their face what I think of them.

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 19:55 - Aug 22 with 612 viewsJack59

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 19:02 - Aug 22 by Fireboy2

I haven't got a brain eh?

I've got morals though, I have a quality which means that I don't have any prejudices against anyone, I give every new person I meet the time of day, no matter where they come from and no matter what colour skin they have, if they are rude or p!ss me off I either ignore them or tell them what I think of them.

Fwiw I believe in the point of what the bending of the knee means but I do think it's gone too far BUT it doesn't bother me one little bit, if players want to put their point across then just let them, my original point to you was I just don't understand why anyone would (after all the sheeite we have been through with covid) miss watching the team they love, baffling, just baffling.

With regard to your first paragraph, I couldn't agree more.
My principles are such that I have no choice, I cannot possibly condone these political gestures by taking my seat.
It's also great to see that dozens of footballers have already stopped the knee gesture.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:10 - Aug 22 with 597 viewsFlashberryjack

The sooner they stop taking the knee the better IMO.

It's caused far more problems and division than it has solved, it will always be associated with the BLM movement, no matter they now try to distance themselves from it.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:12 - Aug 22 with 586 viewsonehunglow

I have to ay it is amusing to see posters from overwhelmingly white cities like Swansea and the small towns around being so concerned about the plight of people whom they will rarely if ever meet or welcome into their community.

It is simplicity itself to opine on the privation of people who there will rarely encounter.

Most industrial areas were /are racist at heart but we are too cowardly to admit that.

I can well remember dark skinned Italian kids getting all sorts of shyte at school such filth was actually encouraged.

Hypocrisy is all around and taking the knee is a perfect example of this.

What this country need first to do is to be honest with itself and learn to tolerate others who are "different". To be different in a welsh valley aint easy. You stand out.People gossip about you. You are a target.

We don't need to love others of different faith/race/sexuality -just respect the difference and accept we are all unique beings.

Nobody is "ordinary" and any politician spouting that should be smashed full in the gob

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:30 - Aug 22 with 582 viewsGwyn737

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:10 - Aug 22 by Flashberryjack

It's caused far more problems and division than it has solved, it will always be associated with the BLM movement, no matter they now try to distance themselves from it.

I agree that some are keen for the message to be mixed on both sides. I’ve said many times on here I think kneeling has no power and the message would be helped by on alternative.

However, at Brighton yesterday the announcer (and I can remember the exact words so I’m paraphrasing but it’s pretty close) said “the players who choose to are about to kneel. This is not political gesture but a sign of unity to say there is no room for racism in our game”.

Even if you think they’re wrong to do it, why on earth would you boo that?

Some have suggested that it would all stop when crowds return but so far booing has been in the minority and only really audible in the more UKIPy parts of the country.

I think that says a lot.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:36 - Aug 22 with 575 viewsdobjack2

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:10 - Aug 22 by Flashberryjack

The sooner some people just accept it as an anti-racist stand the better IMO.

If players want to take the knee - fine by me. If they want to show their feelings about racism another way - also fine by me.

As a white middle aged man I don’t think I should be dictating how Black players and their colleagues should be protesting against the racist abuse footballers receive.

There’s too much anger in the world. Chill out and accept it as part of a stand against the racism players receive including some of our own.

For those that would boo players, try standing in their shoes. They are protesting about racism and hear people boing them for doing so. What do you think they might feel about the people booing them?
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:40 - Aug 22 with 558 viewsonehunglow

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:36 - Aug 22 by dobjack2

If players want to take the knee - fine by me. If they want to show their feelings about racism another way - also fine by me.

As a white middle aged man I don’t think I should be dictating how Black players and their colleagues should be protesting against the racist abuse footballers receive.

There’s too much anger in the world. Chill out and accept it as part of a stand against the racism players receive including some of our own.

For those that would boo players, try standing in their shoes. They are protesting about racism and hear people boing them for doing so. What do you think they might feel about the people booing them?

The best stand of all would be for EUFA to ban permanently clubs who racially abuse players.

This would mean massive clubs like Roma,Napoli,Milan,Steua Bucarest,Red Star Belgrade being hammered.

It should also sanction black players leaving the field of play when they get monkey chants and not having tournaments in the like of Qatar.

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:49 - Aug 22 with 554 viewsdobjack2

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:30 - Aug 22 by Gwyn737

I agree that some are keen for the message to be mixed on both sides. I’ve said many times on here I think kneeling has no power and the message would be helped by on alternative.

However, at Brighton yesterday the announcer (and I can remember the exact words so I’m paraphrasing but it’s pretty close) said “the players who choose to are about to kneel. This is not political gesture but a sign of unity to say there is no room for racism in our game”.

Even if you think they’re wrong to do it, why on earth would you boo that?

Some have suggested that it would all stop when crowds return but so far booing has been in the minority and only really audible in the more UKIPy parts of the country.

I think that says a lot.

Sorry downvoted you by accident.

The announcement sets things out very sensibly.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 21:46 - Aug 22 with 525 viewsmajorraglan

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:40 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

The best stand of all would be for EUFA to ban permanently clubs who racially abuse players.

This would mean massive clubs like Roma,Napoli,Milan,Steua Bucarest,Red Star Belgrade being hammered.

It should also sanction black players leaving the field of play when they get monkey chants and not having tournaments in the like of Qatar.

I think players should be free to take the knee should they want to, I also agree with your comments about EUFA taking strong actions and banning clubs.
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 21:53 - Aug 22 with 516 viewsFireboy2

Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 20:36 - Aug 22 by dobjack2

Your last paragraph speaks volumes 👏
Have We stopped taking the knee ? on 22:13 - Aug 22 with 502 viewsItchySphincter

It’s clearly idiocy to correlate taking the knee in football with extreme politics. No amount of pointing out the truth will sway people to alter their views because their views are based in prejudices that they are happy to have, just not happy to say they have. We’ll still be having this conversation in years to come and by this time these people will have passed on their prejudices to their children and their grandchildren. Shame.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024