Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin is for the 'long term'. 20:41 - Oct 2 with 2005 viewsReslovenSwan1

Russell Martin has mentioned in two or three of his press conferences that he is here for the "long term". What does this mean?

Swansea have relied in the past on the knowledge of Huw Jenkins to find managers that suit the passing philosophy of the club. His works was exceptional from Flynn through to Martinez, Sousa, Brendan Laudrup and Potter.

The problem of this was that none stayed in place more than a season or two. Eventually changing manager took it's toll. Clement saw decline in line with poor recruitment from Leadbetter. Bony, Clucas, Mesa .

Potter looked like a long term d fix but any verbal agreements with the chairman at the time became null and void after 'Jamesgate' and the Chair's resignation.

Clearly the new model is a manager in place not for 2 seasons but 4 or 5. The benefit of this is clear to see with smaller clubs like Norwich and Burnley Farke and Dyche. If Martin can match those two then the team will spend time in the Premier league.

Winter has a PL promotion to his name already. A solid managerial team of Winter Allen Scott and Martin staying in place for 5 seasons with an established way of playing is the best bet for SIlverstein, Kaplan and Levien to make huge profits. I believe the main driver of this strategy is Mr Silverstein.

Russell Martin has a contract but I believe has an understanding that if there is year on year progress he will be given several seasons to get to the Premier league. If it is looking promising the US investor could pump in more cash initially as a convertible loan. I believe he understands this patience and time given to him has to be reciprocated to the rest of the management team once Potter goes to Liverpool and Dan Ashcroft comes calling asking if Martin is willing to talk.

I hope Martin has a nice new villa on the Gower, He may as well settle down. He will in my opinion be there for some time.

Watch out for the 'long term' quotes.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 20:52 - Oct 2 with 1490 viewsCatullus

No matter what happens, even if we got promoted this season, if a bigger club came calling and offered more moeny and a lumpy transfer kitty, Martin would be gone.

Don't try and talk yourself into believeing different, that is foolhardy. There is very little loyalty in sport and what there is comes from us, the fans.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:01 - Oct 2 with 1469 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 20:52 - Oct 2 by Catullus

No matter what happens, even if we got promoted this season, if a bigger club came calling and offered more moeny and a lumpy transfer kitty, Martin would be gone.

Don't try and talk yourself into believeing different, that is foolhardy. There is very little loyalty in sport and what there is comes from us, the fans.

So where has Dyche gone? Why is he still at Burnley? Where has Farke gone? Hassenhuttl is an exceptional manager. Still at Southampton. If it is top 4/ 6 maybe. But not Brighton Liecester or Wigan.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:04 - Oct 2 with 1461 viewsOptimisticJack

I really hope so.
I like his philosophy and the project he is implementing.
Sometimes in life you have to go backwards in order to go forwards.
Patience is the name of the game.
Entertaining days ahead.

Optimisticjack

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:07 - Oct 2 with 1454 viewsBoundy

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:01 - Oct 2 by ReslovenSwan1

So where has Dyche gone? Why is he still at Burnley? Where has Farke gone? Hassenhuttl is an exceptional manager. Still at Southampton. If it is top 4/ 6 maybe. But not Brighton Liecester or Wigan.

So where has Dyche gone? pretty much peaked
Why is he still at Burnley?
Where has Farke gone , not looking comfortable in his present position atm

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:20 - Oct 2 with 1432 viewsCatullus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:01 - Oct 2 by ReslovenSwan1

Has anybody tried to poach thise managers. Don't forget Potter was here and Brighton pinched him from us. Martinez was poached by Wigan and we poached Martin from MK.

Managers that stay longterm are few and far between these days. They'll nearly always take the better contract because they know that a run of 10-12 bad results could see them sacked.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:24 - Oct 2 with 1422 viewsKeithHaynes

And for those that don’t like the thought of Martin here for for the long haul it’s pointless. He will be, as I said even if we lose five on the trot.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:28 - Oct 2 with 1412 viewsCatullus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:24 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

And for those that don’t like the thought of Martin here for for the long haul it’s pointless. He will be, as I said even if we lose five on the trot.

I can accept we won't sack him but do you believe he'll stay here no matter what?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:29 - Oct 2 with 1406 viewsKeithHaynes

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:28 - Oct 2 by Catullus

I can accept we won't sack him but do you believe he'll stay here no matter what?

Indeed.
He’s getting it right.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:52 - Oct 2 with 1372 viewsChief

To the OP - long term like Martinez you mean?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 22:13 - Oct 2 with 1332 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:52 - Oct 2 by Chief

To the OP - long term like Martinez you mean?

And Bob Bradley:-

"We are delighted Bob has agreed to join us. He is highly regarded as a coach and has a wealth of experience on the international and domestic front. He is well aware of the club's footballing philosophy and will provide us with strong leadership qualities and a renewed belief to compete at this level.

"It is never easy changing managers, but we are looking at a long-term appointment and we are confident Bob can settle us down and stabilize matters on and off the pitch."

The fact is, whether he and/or the owners believe he is here long term, is irrelevant.

If he is doing badly, people will talk about it.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 10:22 - Oct 3 with 1184 viewsBillyChong

We’ve gone from a Europa league knockout stage club to a team picking up draws at Luton and Derby. All down to your beloved sell outs. Took the money and left the club a shambles.
Martin is for the 'long term'. on 10:45 - Oct 3 with 1174 viewsOptimisticJack

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 10:22 - Oct 3 by BillyChong

We’ve gone from a Europa league knockout stage club to a team picking up draws at Luton and Derby. All down to your beloved sell outs. Took the money and left the club a shambles.

Nobody was more angry than me at the time .
However, that was in the past.
We are now in the present.
We have a young manager looking to play the game the right way.
I'm excited for our future.

Optimisticjack

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 10:58 - Oct 3 with 1153 viewsCatullus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:29 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

Indeed.
He’s getting it right.

You don't think he'd leave if a bigger, EPL team came calling?

Isn't that a bit naive? He left MK for us and don't you remember a certain fairly recent manager saying he'd have to be carried out the door who was gone not much later?

I'm not knocking Martin there because I'd do the same, almost everybody would. It's like players who kiss the badge, we all know very few mean it.

I'd be very surpised if Martin turned down the EPL for us, unless he'd taken us up.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 11:51 - Oct 3 with 1112 viewsonehunglow

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:29 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

Indeed.
He’s getting it right.

Keith
In what way he he getting it right.
On results.performances,individual skills,judgement . I see nothing like this.

We talk long term which would be fine if we were under the management of a proven stipulated would result in bans.

Every fan should have his say without it being logged for years to use in an insulting manner.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:02 - Oct 3 with 1106 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 10:58 - Oct 3 by Catullus

You don't think he'd leave if a bigger, EPL team came calling?

Isn't that a bit naive? He left MK for us and don't you remember a certain fairly recent manager saying he'd have to be carried out the door who was gone not much later?

I'm not knocking Martin there because I'd do the same, almost everybody would. It's like players who kiss the badge, we all know very few mean it.

I'd be very surpised if Martin turned down the EPL for us, unless he'd taken us up.

He would leave in a second, which is why long term plans are a fallacy.

Again, our average lifespan of a manager in the last quarter of a century is around 20 months. Long gone are the days of Dario Gradi and Alex Ferguson.

Martin will likely be gone by the end of next season (maybe long before), be that due to him doing well or doing poorly.

As much as there may well be intent for him to stay personally, and also intent for the board to keep him there (I understand he allegedly has certain connections to Martin Morgan which may give him a longer shelf life than normal now Morgan is back amongst things)… but regardless, this will ultimately be decided by the results on the pitch.

There will be pressure from everywhere if we are in a relegation dogfight with this squad and after what we have spent this season.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:16 - Oct 3 with 1093 viewsonehunglow

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:02 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Again, our average lifespan of a manager in the last quarter of a century is around 20 months. Long gone are the days of Dario Gradi and Alex Ferguson.

Martin will likely be gone by the end of next season (maybe long before), be that due to him doing well or doing poorly.

As much as there may well be intent for him to stay personally, and also intent for the board to keep him there (I understand he allegedly has certain connections to Martin Morgan which may give him a longer shelf life than normal now Morgan is back amongst things)… but regardless, this will ultimately be decided by the results on the pitch.

There will be pressure from everywhere if we are in a relegation dogfight with this squad and after what we have spent this season.

and here is a poster who is perceptive and sees it.

When Martin leaves,if he has not fulfilled his plan,wher exactly will we be,folks.

If he says this is long term,will he hang around to see it to fruition.

Potter went on ad nauceum about his project with us and we were thinking he is a guy for the future to bring us back but NOI,off he pops at the first chance.

We have not learned lessons at all

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:44 - Oct 3 with 1075 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:16 - Oct 3 by onehunglow

and here is a poster who is perceptive and sees it.

When Martin leaves,if he has not fulfilled his plan,wher exactly will we be,folks.

If he says this is long term,will he hang around to see it to fruition.

Potter went on ad nauceum about his project with us and we were thinking he is a guy for the future to bring us back but NOI,off he pops at the first chance.

We have not learned lessons at all

I think this may be different. Martin is a new breed of manager perhaps with a social conscience and willingness to put down long term sustainable roots. He has a foundation at the age of 32.

Potter had some form of gentleman's agreement with the chairman and actually apologised for leaving to the fans. He in my opinion would have stayed if Huw Jenkins has stayed. Huw was getting pelters from the fans and their board representatives and walked.

For the first time in quite a while the backroom team is settled and working properly with the recruitment problem finally solved and a fixed strategy that requires patience. Cooper could not work as a team and accept club signing like the excellent Goykeres.

The manager is talking long term. He is not as talented or ambitious as Martinez perhaps. Martin wanted a long term project with a philosophy and has been given one. In the appointment process the club has promised that he will be shown patience while he itegrates his methods and in return he will be expected to see out the project.

As a new breed of manager only 32 he will need to ignore offers of millions from Premier league clubs for at east 5 years. He can fill his pockets after he is in his 40s. Swansea needs its own Sean Dyche and pay him accordingly. (until the club is sold for £200m+).

Martin is learning on the job. The recruitment has improved the philosophy fixed and the US owners are engaged with fresh cash to put into the club.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:51 - Oct 3 with 1060 viewsonehunglow

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:44 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

I think this may be different. Martin is a new breed of manager perhaps with a social conscience and willingness to put down long term sustainable roots. He has a foundation at the age of 32.

Potter had some form of gentleman's agreement with the chairman and actually apologised for leaving to the fans. He in my opinion would have stayed if Huw Jenkins has stayed. Huw was getting pelters from the fans and their board representatives and walked.

For the first time in quite a while the backroom team is settled and working properly with the recruitment problem finally solved and a fixed strategy that requires patience. Cooper could not work as a team and accept club signing like the excellent Goykeres.

The manager is talking long term. He is not as talented or ambitious as Martinez perhaps. Martin wanted a long term project with a philosophy and has been given one. In the appointment process the club has promised that he will be shown patience while he itegrates his methods and in return he will be expected to see out the project.

As a new breed of manager only 32 he will need to ignore offers of millions from Premier league clubs for at east 5 years. He can fill his pockets after he is in his 40s. Swansea needs its own Sean Dyche and pay him accordingly. (until the club is sold for £200m+).

Martin is learning on the job. The recruitment has improved the philosophy fixed and the US owners are engaged with fresh cash to put into the club.

A decent reply.ta

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:56 - Oct 3 with 1058 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 12:44 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

He left MK Dons after a season and a half during which time he was asking for time and telling them to trust the process and that they were building towards something. He left at the first better offer he got.

I don’t see why he would suddenly ditch that mentality now he’s here.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:04 - Oct 3 with 1053 viewsEvs

100%

We've seen it before and we'll see it again. That is the nature of the beast, particularly for a club of our size & stature.

It's worth bearing in mind too, that Coops' 2 year tenure was probably slightly above the expected average. If anyone's still mourning him here, it's useful to consider that. Managers always get replaced, sooner or later.
Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:06 - Oct 3 with 1049 viewsCatullus

After what we have spent? You want to make out we spent a lot but the reality is we spent 4.9 million in total, with sales that comes to a net spend of approx 2.3 million. It's hardly much in the grand scheme.

It is possible Martin is here long term but regardless of that long term plans aren't necessarily a fallacy, the manager can change but the plan can remain the same. It's what we did before, recruit managers who worked to the same plan.

The thing about averages is, some people last very short times and others much longer. A 20 month average doesn't mean a manager won't stay 5 or 6 years. Some managers leave after 5-10 weeks. Mickey Adams lasted 13 days.

You UNDERSTAND he ALLEGEDLY has CERTAIN connections.....what? Just what does that mean, they both use the same Costa Coffee or they both like the same restaurant maybe? Maybe they both use Peloton or maybe Morgan likes Vegan Chilli?

The 2.3 million net spend aside, yes, if we are in the bottom 5 come April and in serious danger of relegation the owners might decide to sack him or they may do a Burnley and hope he can turn it around and bring us back up.

And if we are doing better than some people expect come january and an EPL club comes calling I wouldn't be at all surprised if he left.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:28 - Oct 3 with 1040 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:06 - Oct 3 by Catullus

After what we have spent? You want to make out we spent a lot but the reality is we spent 4.9 million in total, with sales that comes to a net spend of approx 2.3 million. It's hardly much in the grand scheme.

It is possible Martin is here long term but regardless of that long term plans aren't necessarily a fallacy, the manager can change but the plan can remain the same. It's what we did before, recruit managers who worked to the same plan.

The thing about averages is, some people last very short times and others much longer. A 20 month average doesn't mean a manager won't stay 5 or 6 years. Some managers leave after 5-10 weeks. Mickey Adams lasted 13 days.

You UNDERSTAND he ALLEGEDLY has CERTAIN connections.....what? Just what does that mean, they both use the same Costa Coffee or they both like the same restaurant maybe? Maybe they both use Peloton or maybe Morgan likes Vegan Chilli?

The 2.3 million net spend aside, yes, if we are in the bottom 5 come April and in serious danger of relegation the owners might decide to sack him or they may do a Burnley and hope he can turn it around and bring us back up.

And if we are doing better than some people expect come january and an EPL club comes calling I wouldn't be at all surprised if he left.

I’m not making it out to be anything other than what it is.

It is our second highest spending in a season in our football league history and third highest spenders in the league. It is what it is, compared to most clubs spending zero in this league this season, £5m is a massive amount.

Over the average I don’t think anyone stayed for longer than 3 seasons. Martinez may have been the longest. Nobody has stayed for 5-6 years.

It means what I said, they have shared business interests apparently. I wasn’t told specific details but have no reason to doubt it. Not that I see it as a problem as such, but it may give him more time than normal depending on how much influence Martin Morgan has, I hear it’s increasing.

Net spend is another fallacy. Cooper achieved what he did on a -44m net spend. Although in reality he was given around £2m to improve the squad over the course of his managerial reign, that’s how it should be viewed.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:43 - Oct 3 with 1034 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:28 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

I’m not making it out to be anything other than what it is.

It is our second highest spending in a season in our football league history and third highest spenders in the league. It is what it is, compared to most clubs spending zero in this league this season, £5m is a massive amount.

Over the average I don’t think anyone stayed for longer than 3 seasons. Martinez may have been the longest. Nobody has stayed for 5-6 years.

It means what I said, they have shared business interests apparently. I wasn’t told specific details but have no reason to doubt it. Not that I see it as a problem as such, but it may give him more time than normal depending on how much influence Martin Morgan has, I hear it’s increasing.

Net spend is another fallacy. Cooper achieved what he did on a -44m net spend. Although in reality he was given around £2m to improve the squad over the course of his managerial reign, that’s how it should be viewed.

Cooper used the loan system very well covering over the cracks from selling McBurnie and James at the start of his tenure and Rodon later. When the elite loan players left along side the grossly overpaid PL legacy player so did Cooper.

Cooper on that basis could be seen as a quick fix manager. These loans were super elite Guehi and Gallagher full Premier league players in their early 20s. Gallagher actually under-performed for Swansea.

Clearly any vacancy in Brighton would be of concern to the Swansea management in the event of Martin performing well. I trust they have already covered this issue in discussions.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:55 - Oct 3 with 1026 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:43 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Cooper used the loan system very well covering over the cracks from selling McBurnie and James at the start of his tenure and Rodon later. When the elite loan players left along side the grossly overpaid PL legacy player so did Cooper.

Cooper on that basis could be seen as a quick fix manager. These loans were super elite Guehi and Gallagher full Premier league players in their early 20s. Gallagher actually under-performed for Swansea.

Clearly any vacancy in Brighton would be of concern to the Swansea management in the event of Martin performing well. I trust they have already covered this issue in discussions.

Really?

Brewster is now a Championship sub striker, Gallagher was a fellow Championship loanee, Hourihane is a Championship player. Guehi is the only one that can be labelled an elite player and that I’m sure was only due to his time and experiences here. He wasn’t elite when we signed him, most had never heard of him and was very raw.

We have Laird and Williams now from Man Utd and Liverpool. Doesn’t appear those kinds of loans have dried up.

I think that narrative is another that has been fabricated but doesn’t really make much sense.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:21 - Oct 3 with 1014 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 13:55 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Really?

Brewster is now a Championship sub striker, Gallagher was a fellow Championship loanee, Hourihane is a Championship player. Guehi is the only one that can be labelled an elite player and that I’m sure was only due to his time and experiences here. He wasn’t elite when we signed him, most had never heard of him and was very raw.

We have Laird and Williams now from Man Utd and Liverpool. Doesn’t appear those kinds of loans have dried up.

I think that narrative is another that has been fabricated but doesn’t really make much sense.

Guehi £20m was outside Swansea budget. People in the know realised his worth. He only needed 5 or 6 games to impress.

Brewster was hot stuff but hit the skids at £23m well outside Swansea budget. He is having a bit of a drab spell like that other really good player Goykeres had at Swansea. He was not an England u17 favourite.

Gallager was mentioned on MotD as a potential England squad candidate £25m at least. Woodman had his doubters but followed the game plan and would cost several millions.

The -£40m decifit was covered by these loans as a quick fix. Out James McBurnie Rodon in Gallagher, Brewster, Guehi with Ayew tucking into the parachute.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024