Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia invade Ukraine 14:17 - Dec 23 with 153137 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Discuss.

Also why is Putin always described in the media as this rugged strongman? He’s barely five foot tall with his high heels on.

But that’s another debate.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:48 - Jan 30 with 1564 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:43 - Jan 30 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Christopher Lee lived one hell of a life. There were always rumours that James Bond was partly based on him, I think Ian Fleming was his cousin. Don’t know how much truth there is in that though. He was also the only cast member from lord of the rings to have known Tolkien personally. And he was acting well into his 90’s.

Christopher lee was brilliant. I saw him interviewed a few times. He was humble, open, self effacing, polite and yes, it turned out there was a lot more to him than I'd ever suspected.

They make films of peoples lives, I believe Lee would make a good subject. The man himself would probably have been embarrassed at the thought though.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:57 - Jan 30 with 1557 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:48 - Jan 30 by Catullus

Christopher lee was brilliant. I saw him interviewed a few times. He was humble, open, self effacing, polite and yes, it turned out there was a lot more to him than I'd ever suspected.

They make films of peoples lives, I believe Lee would make a good subject. The man himself would probably have been embarrassed at the thought though.

When they were filming the scene where Saruman gets knifed in the back by Grima Peter Jackson wanted him to scream out but Christopher Lee insisting on changing it to a gasp because he had first hand experience of hearing men being stabbed in the back during the war.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:02 - Jan 30 with 1521 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 22:51 - Jan 29 by Catullus

The Finns had to fight off a Russian invasion, then sided with Germany against the Russians before eventually joining the Allies to fight the Nazi's.

Any Jews or refugees who made it to Finland were safe.

I don't think they agreed with Germany as much as it was a case of my enemies enemy is my friend.
Churchill held the same kind of opinion about Stalin, he would have got into bed with the devil if it meant defeating the Nazi's, I believe he said as much.

Yes, but it still doesn't alter that Stalin wanted Britain to declare war on Finland to help Russia defeat the Germans and he didn't. He turned his attention elsewhere, the middle east and the Med
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:06 - Jan 30 with 1516 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:49 - Jan 29 by Catullus

In bombing the cities Churchill drove Hitler to decide to stop attacking our airfields and attack our cities instead. This gave the RAF vital time to repair the airfields, to replenish them, not forgetting Hitler had promised no bombs would fall on Berlin,

http://www.strangehistory.net/2010/08/24/24-august-1940-the-night-that-hitler-lo

Not really a mistake then, more another turning point in favour of the allies. Without it happening we may have lost the battle of Britain.

I thought the bombing campaign happened after the battle of Britain was over and our airfields were safe. Incidentally, only one of our airfields was put out of action , and that was just for 24 hours.

It was a mistake if it didn't destroy the German economy and their morale, also the resources could have been better used elsewhere. It was hugely expensive in manpower and armaments
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:55 - Jan 30 with 1502 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:06 - Jan 30 by controversial_jack

I thought the bombing campaign happened after the battle of Britain was over and our airfields were safe. Incidentally, only one of our airfields was put out of action , and that was just for 24 hours.

It was a mistake if it didn't destroy the German economy and their morale, also the resources could have been better used elsewhere. It was hugely expensive in manpower and armaments

Hitler needed to disable the RAF before he could invade, he needed air superiority so his troops could cross the channel. topping bombing our air bases relieved the pressure on the RAF.
Maybe read the link, it's in there.

Bombing German cities wasn't just about destroying morale or their economy. When it got Hitler to change strategy it possibly saved us from invasion.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 20:09 - Jan 30 with 1473 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:55 - Jan 30 by Catullus

Hitler needed to disable the RAF before he could invade, he needed air superiority so his troops could cross the channel. topping bombing our air bases relieved the pressure on the RAF.
Maybe read the link, it's in there.

Bombing German cities wasn't just about destroying morale or their economy. When it got Hitler to change strategy it possibly saved us from invasion.

Mass bombing of German cities happened after that.The battle of Britain had been decided by then and the threat of an Invasion was deemed to be over
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:13 - Jan 31 with 1436 viewsLohengrin

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 15:41 - Jan 27 by controversial_jack

If you want to read up on this , i recommend this book. An absolute masterpiece on the conflict. You could probably order it from the library

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbarossa-How-Hitler-Lost-War/dp/0241979188

I noticed in Waterstones this morning that they are selling this title in hardback at half price, if anybody on the thread was intending to buy a copy?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:00 - Jan 31 with 1404 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 20:09 - Jan 30 by controversial_jack

Mass bombing of German cities happened after that.The battle of Britain had been decided by then and the threat of an Invasion was deemed to be over

Mass bombing continued after the battle of Britain, it was during the Battle of Britain that we first bombed Berlin, August 1940. Hitler didn't bomb a British city until November.
Off on a tangent now but we are seeing so much made of Bloody Sunday, I'm surprised nobody gets upset at what we did to Dresden..

As with it all though, I could be wrong, it's largely my opinion with what facts I can dig up quickly. Better to read the links than trust my somewhat faulty memory.

Login to get fewer ads

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 17:08 - Jan 31 with 1377 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:00 - Jan 31 by Catullus

Mass bombing continued after the battle of Britain, it was during the Battle of Britain that we first bombed Berlin, August 1940. Hitler didn't bomb a British city until November.
Off on a tangent now but we are seeing so much made of Bloody Sunday, I'm surprised nobody gets upset at what we did to Dresden..

As with it all though, I could be wrong, it's largely my opinion with what facts I can dig up quickly. Better to read the links than trust my somewhat faulty memory.

Mass bombing didn't really take of - excuse the pun, until after the battle of Britain, and then in 42 the USAF joined in.

The RAF pulverised Dresden over 2 nights and then the USAF to a lesser extent on one daylight raid. Arguments still go on whether it was a legit target.It was a hub for transport and had some important factories, but it certainly wasn't as important as many other places.

Bomber Harris knew in advance what carnage it would cause to the city and population, but he was so single minded he just carried on. If we had lost, i'm sure he would have been prosecuted by the Germans as a war criminal.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:43 - Feb 3 with 1318 viewsowainglyndwr

Not until after the winter Olympics..
China rules so Russia will step into the line until then
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:12 - Feb 4 with 1280 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 17:08 - Jan 31 by controversial_jack

Mass bombing didn't really take of - excuse the pun, until after the battle of Britain, and then in 42 the USAF joined in.

The RAF pulverised Dresden over 2 nights and then the USAF to a lesser extent on one daylight raid. Arguments still go on whether it was a legit target.It was a hub for transport and had some important factories, but it certainly wasn't as important as many other places.

Bomber Harris knew in advance what carnage it would cause to the city and population, but he was so single minded he just carried on. If we had lost, i'm sure he would have been prosecuted by the Germans as a war criminal.

The problem with Dresden was the massive use of incendiaries and that we bombed the town centre where there was no industrial presence. We murdered thousands of civilians.

I agree about Bomber Harris, if he was still around today he'd get massive criticism.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:31 - Feb 4 with 1260 views73__73

The narrative from MSM and western governments is Russia is in the wrong.
I don’t believe that. I wish the U.K. would keep it’s nose out.
The Russians have every reason to fear NATO expansion in Eastern Europe.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 17:17 - Feb 4 with 1237 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 10:31 - Feb 4 by 73__73

The narrative from MSM and western governments is Russia is in the wrong.
I don’t believe that. I wish the U.K. would keep it’s nose out.
The Russians have every reason to fear NATO expansion in Eastern Europe.

Ukraine applied to join, it wasn't NATO trying to expand. If it wasn't for Nuclear weapons Stalin may not have stopped his armies at Berlin. He was deeply distrustful of the West and a bit sneaky with it.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:57 - Feb 6 with 1179 viewsAjack_Kerouac

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:43 - Feb 7 with 1139 viewsKilkennyjack

Johnson is a bad joke 🇬🇧

Beware of the Risen People

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:45 - Feb 7 with 1135 viewsonehunglow

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 17:17 - Feb 4 by Catullus

Ukraine applied to join, it wasn't NATO trying to expand. If it wasn't for Nuclear weapons Stalin may not have stopped his armies at Berlin. He was deeply distrustful of the West and a bit sneaky with it.

Putin doesn’t like his old captured countries getting uppity.

He yearns for the USSR as it was.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:23 - Feb 7 with 1122 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:00 - Jan 31 by Catullus

If you really want to find out about where and when the Germans bombed villages, towns and cities in the uk go here.

http://www.warstateandsociety.com/Bombing-Britain

Download the historic database. The Germans were bombing civilian centres because of industries locate there etc long before "Berlin".

Any body who thinks "Dresden" was a first should read about Coventry and also V1 & V2 Rockets that were totally indiscriminate on what, where and who they killed, they were weapons of terror.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:45 - Feb 7 with 1118 viewsProfessor

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 17:08 - Jan 31 by controversial_jack

Most of the Luftwaffe bombing of cities rolled over well into 1941-Swansea in February 1941.

I have been to Hannover for work several time-less well known that Dresden but another city flattened mainly by the RAF in 1943.

My family are from Rhondda and lived there aged 8-18. One of the saddest things is the gap is a street-Treharne Street and Parc Road-empty from 1941

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cwmparc-blitz-bombing-luftwaffe-wa
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:48 - Feb 7 with 1091 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:45 - Feb 7 by Professor

Most of the Luftwaffe bombing of cities rolled over well into 1941-Swansea in February 1941.

I have been to Hannover for work several time-less well known that Dresden but another city flattened mainly by the RAF in 1943.

My family are from Rhondda and lived there aged 8-18. One of the saddest things is the gap is a street-Treharne Street and Parc Road-empty from 1941

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cwmparc-blitz-bombing-luftwaffe-wa

i'm not saying it didn't continue, but it wasn't on the scale that we bombed Germany. The Germans didn't have heavy bombers like we did, they couldn't carry the same bomb loads.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 16:45 - Feb 7 with 1069 viewsProfessor

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:48 - Feb 7 by controversial_jack

i'm not saying it didn't continue, but it wasn't on the scale that we bombed Germany. The Germans didn't have heavy bombers like we did, they couldn't carry the same bomb loads.

Ultimately the lack of longer range bombers also prevented the Luftwaffe knocking out Soviet fuel supplies from the Urals. By the time the US began day bombing with RAF at night it was overwhelming
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 16:52 - Feb 7 with 1069 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:48 - Feb 7 by controversial_jack

No the Nazi's didn't have heavy bombers but they had well over 1000 medium bombers, HE 111's. Yo don't need heavy bombers to destroy a city, a lot of medium bombers will do too.

Swansea town centre was flattened but even then we didn't suffer, not like London and Coventry.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 22:00 - Feb 7 with 1052 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 16:52 - Feb 7 by Catullus

No the Nazi's didn't have heavy bombers but they had well over 1000 medium bombers, HE 111's. Yo don't need heavy bombers to destroy a city, a lot of medium bombers will do too.

Swansea town centre was flattened but even then we didn't suffer, not like London and Coventry.

I don't believe they sent over 1000 bombers as we did
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 22:36 - Feb 7 with 1041 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 16:52 - Feb 7 by Catullus

Including fighter cover 1500 aircraft per day regularly flew over the chanel but as you say they were not heavy bombers.
At that stage of the war we didn't have them either.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:17 - Feb 7 with 1028 viewsKeithHaynes

Everyine knows we had four spitfires, three polish pilots, a catapult, a random dog with an unacceptable name and a pipe laid on a small table whose owner will never smoke again.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:33 - Feb 7 with 1022 viewsKilkennyjack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:17 - Feb 7 by KeithHaynes

Everyine knows we had four spitfires, three polish pilots, a catapult, a random dog with an unacceptable name and a pipe laid on a small table whose owner will never smoke again.

Thats exactly what i heard as well … 🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024