Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The next motoring scandal 09:10 - Feb 7 with 4064 viewsCatullus

It's already been said on here by some smart person (Not me, definitely not) but the drive for electric cars is an eco sham, the next diesel scandal and this news story though it is in the Daily mail seems to capture it perfectly,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/are-electric-cars-the-new-diesel-scandal-wai

Electric cars are not the future we want or need, most of us cannot afford them and anyway, they will not do anything to save the planet and the need for mining rare materials means they will cause the destruction of habitat.

Hybrid cars and then maybe hydrogen cars (when the tech gets there) are a better answer.
Damningly for any government that's pushing E cars as a policy, 90% of E car owners also own a diesel or petrol car to use for longer journeys and even with heavy subsidies still only the top earners can afford these cars without making sacrifices.

I can't afford one right now and I don't want one in 2030 either, a hybrid yes but because electric cars are so heavy they cause extra wear and tear, emitting more pollutants from tyres and brakes AND the experts think they will kill more people in any accidents because of the extra weight.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The next motoring scandal on 15:13 - Feb 7 with 1042 viewslifelong

The next motoring scandal on 14:09 - Feb 7 by A_Fans_Dad

"Electric cars in their infancy "

Only over 150 years in development.

You know what I meant, on the other hand…
The next motoring scandal on 16:24 - Feb 7 with 999 viewsCatullus

The next motoring scandal on 15:10 - Feb 7 by Dr_Winston

This.

They may be able to stick to that deadline for banning sales of new vehicles, but it'll be far from the end of petrol. The infrastructure won't be in place and rising energy costs (allied to plans to replace fuel duty no doubt already being cooked up) will only result in a booming trade in second hand ICE vehicles.

A lot of people are going to be trying to make their older cars run for longer rather than go electric.

My next car will most likely be my last car. The one I have has only done 52k, I only do 5-6000 per year. Look after it and there's probably another 3/4 years in it then. My problem then is there'll likely be a lot of people looking for a decent second hand to see them through a few years, prices will probably rocket, people will hoard parts. There'll be chaos. We wont have infrastructure to go totally electric and many won't afford it anyway.

This green policy is going to create a real mess and it has the potential to be very disruptive to everything and everyone that relies on cars, except the rich.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The next motoring scandal on 16:28 - Feb 7 with 991 viewsDr_Winston

The next motoring scandal on 16:24 - Feb 7 by Catullus

My next car will most likely be my last car. The one I have has only done 52k, I only do 5-6000 per year. Look after it and there's probably another 3/4 years in it then. My problem then is there'll likely be a lot of people looking for a decent second hand to see them through a few years, prices will probably rocket, people will hoard parts. There'll be chaos. We wont have infrastructure to go totally electric and many won't afford it anyway.

This green policy is going to create a real mess and it has the potential to be very disruptive to everything and everyone that relies on cars, except the rich.

I managed for quite a long time without my car, but since I got one I can't imagine how I went so long otherwise.

I could probably afford an electric car and usually have no problems parking right outside the house so am the ideal candidate to get one, but I'd rather go hybrid next. Electric for most of what I do with the option of switching for the odd longer journey.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The next motoring scandal on 16:34 - Feb 7 with 986 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 16:24 - Feb 7 by Catullus

Couldn’t agree more Cat.
We have some spare cash and I d like a last hurrah car but can’t decide

I’d be happy to be around at 80 with all my marbles intact

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The next motoring scandal on 17:02 - Feb 7 with 972 viewsCatullus

The next motoring scandal on 16:34 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Couldn’t agree more Cat.
We have some spare cash and I d like a last hurrah car but can’t decide

I’d be happy to be around at 80 with all my marbles intact

I may go like Dr W and get a hybrid. Once we've finished doing this house up we'll be throwing money at the mortgage and into savings. The house should be done this year, 2 new windows and a front and back door, get a plasterer in (if we ever can) and we'll do the painting ourselves. Then we have plenty spare to save. I'm not spending on a new electric though and I doubt there'll be many second hand worth looking at either.

Like I said, a decent electric bike 1-1.5k will do.

The next motoring scandal on 17:47 - Feb 7 with 959 viewsLuther27

The next motoring scandal on 17:02 - Feb 7 by Catullus

I may go like Dr W and get a hybrid. Once we've finished doing this house up we'll be throwing money at the mortgage and into savings. The house should be done this year, 2 new windows and a front and back door, get a plasterer in (if we ever can) and we'll do the painting ourselves. Then we have plenty spare to save. I'm not spending on a new electric though and I doubt there'll be many second hand worth looking at either.

Like I said, a decent electric bike 1-1.5k will do.

Have you thought about leasing? I’d be wary of buying a second hand electric car due to cost of replacement batteries. Tesla apparently want £17k to change them after approx 8 year lifespan.
The next motoring scandal on 18:14 - Feb 7 with 952 viewshowenjack

The next motoring scandal on 13:51 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

I don’t know you and we ve never met but I want to be your chum

Well sir , Get a motorbike and we'll head out on the highway looking for adventure and whatever comes our way like a true natures child born , born to be wild !!!!!!!
The next motoring scandal on 19:42 - Feb 7 with 934 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 18:14 - Feb 7 by howenjack

Well sir , Get a motorbike and we'll head out on the highway looking for adventure and whatever comes our way like a true natures child born , born to be wild !!!!!!!

You devil you.

Dont bloody start .

Fancy the IOM TT. ?

We could have separate rooms if you like.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 19:45]

Login to get fewer ads

The next motoring scandal on 19:50 - Feb 7 with 929 viewskrunchykarrot

Well ive retired and only did 5000 miles a year when i was working. Said before and i will say again stay well away from batteries. Buy a 70mph car, Tesla have issues believe me.
The next motoring scandal on 20:16 - Feb 7 with 909 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 17:47 - Feb 7 by Luther27

Have you thought about leasing? I’d be wary of buying a second hand electric car due to cost of replacement batteries. Tesla apparently want £17k to change them after approx 8 year lifespan.

Yep, £15,000 for a Merc battery.
The next motoring scandal on 23:06 - Feb 7 with 872 viewshowenjack

The next motoring scandal on 19:42 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

You devil you.

Dont bloody start .

Fancy the IOM TT. ?

We could have separate rooms if you like.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 19:45]

Never been always fancied it .
The next motoring scandal on 14:42 - Feb 8 with 827 viewskrunchykarrot

The next motoring scandal on 20:16 - Feb 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Yep, £15,000 for a Merc battery.

And could someone explain to me where the old one goes please, and no it wont fit in the little white council recycling bag.
The next motoring scandal on 16:04 - Feb 8 with 799 viewsLuther27

The next motoring scandal on 14:42 - Feb 8 by krunchykarrot

And could someone explain to me where the old one goes please, and no it wont fit in the little white council recycling bag.

I think you’ve rumbled the EV lobby!
The next motoring scandal on 16:42 - Feb 8 with 782 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 23:06 - Feb 7 by howenjack

Never been always fancied it .

Depends where you stand

Mountain is bleak
Creg na ba good
Rhencullen awesome
Gooseneck good for photos
Brandon Bridge for photos too.

Ramsey hairpin is great as they are very slow there obviously and take off towards the Gooseneck like rapid fire

Ramsey Parliament Sw is very sociable

Ferry is a vomit bucket though

The next motoring scandal on 18:02 - Feb 8 with 759 viewskrunchykarrot

The next motoring scandal on 16:04 - Feb 8 by Luther27

I think you’ve rumbled the EV lobby!

15 yrs ago actually, i have been involved with and installed million pound projects. Batteries have come a long way but there are still big issues.
The next motoring scandal on 18:20 - Feb 8 with 746 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 18:02 - Feb 8 by krunchykarrot

15 yrs ago actually, i have been involved with and installed million pound projects. Batteries have come a long way but there are still big issues.

The green blob suggest that they can be used as battery backup.
The only problem is if they catch fire they will burn down whatever building they are housed in.
It took a couple of days to extinguish one bank of the Australian Bloody Big Battery.
Recycling is a possibility, but just another added expense.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 18:21]
The next motoring scandal on 19:02 - Feb 8 with 736 viewskrunchykarrot

The next motoring scandal on 18:20 - Feb 8 by A_Fans_Dad

The green blob suggest that they can be used as battery backup.
The only problem is if they catch fire they will burn down whatever building they are housed in.
It took a couple of days to extinguish one bank of the Australian Bloody Big Battery.
Recycling is a possibility, but just another added expense.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 18:21]

When i asked a few years back how and where they get recycled my jaw dropped.
The next motoring scandal on 21:34 - Feb 8 with 714 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Just buy one and drive it. I did 4 years ago and haven't looked back.
The next motoring scandal on 23:09 - Feb 8 with 689 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 21:34 - Feb 8 by SingUpNorthBank84

Just buy one and drive it. I did 4 years ago and haven't looked back.

So you had £10,000 spare to throw away on an EV then.
The next motoring scandal on 00:08 - Feb 9 with 673 viewshobo

It's just another way to rinse you. You'll be paying a pay-per-mile tax once they've buttered you up, which will eventually dwarf what you were paying for petrol
The next motoring scandal on 08:11 - Feb 9 with 642 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

The next motoring scandal on 23:09 - Feb 8 by A_Fans_Dad

So you had £10,000 spare to throw away on an EV then.

£16k in fact. Never did I imagine I would ever spend that on a vehicle. As far as I'm concerned a vehicle is there to get you from A to B and the cheaper the better. It was either an EV of a Skoda Fabia.

I spent a year studying them and researching before taking the plunge. Using such sites as youtube.com/fullychargeshow and www.speakev.com

I was burning £350+ on fuel every month with a 60 mile round trip to work and the school runs, after school activities and trip to the shops etc. I decided I'd get a bank loan and buy the car and cut the fuel costs and pay the loan off.

And before the WOKE brigade jump out and make out I'm some white privalged male I'm not. No doubt most of you had a nice little snooze after your Xmas meal on Xmas day, I was leaving the family and heading to work. I work nights and weekends for a ittle extra to pay for such things.

I've got few more payments to make then it's cheap motoring all round.
The next motoring scandal on 11:12 - Feb 9 with 605 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 08:11 - Feb 9 by SingUpNorthBank84

£16k in fact. Never did I imagine I would ever spend that on a vehicle. As far as I'm concerned a vehicle is there to get you from A to B and the cheaper the better. It was either an EV of a Skoda Fabia.

I spent a year studying them and researching before taking the plunge. Using such sites as youtube.com/fullychargeshow and www.speakev.com

I was burning £350+ on fuel every month with a 60 mile round trip to work and the school runs, after school activities and trip to the shops etc. I decided I'd get a bank loan and buy the car and cut the fuel costs and pay the loan off.

And before the WOKE brigade jump out and make out I'm some white privalged male I'm not. No doubt most of you had a nice little snooze after your Xmas meal on Xmas day, I was leaving the family and heading to work. I work nights and weekends for a ittle extra to pay for such things.

So what did you manage to buy for £16,000?
Or was that £16,000 more than the Fabia?
The next motoring scandal on 14:57 - Feb 9 with 585 viewsFlashberryjack

The next motoring scandal on 00:08 - Feb 9 by hobo

It's just another way to rinse you. You'll be paying a pay-per-mile tax once they've buttered you up, which will eventually dwarf what you were paying for petrol

Drive an electric car, the treble the price of electricity, very clever indeed.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The next motoring scandal on 19:29 - Feb 9 with 545 viewsCatullus

The next motoring scandal on 08:11 - Feb 9 by SingUpNorthBank84

350 per month on fuel, blooming eck, it takes me over 3 months to do that!

Haven't the rises in utility costs negated your savings? Or will do if higher prices are here t stay. After all, the government will have to replace all the tax missing when petrol isn't being used, or used so much.

The next motoring scandal on 21:52 - Feb 9 with 520 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 19:29 - Feb 9 by Catullus

350 per month on fuel, blooming eck, it takes me over 3 months to do that!

Haven't the rises in utility costs negated your savings? Or will do if higher prices are here t stay. After all, the government will have to replace all the tax missing when petrol isn't being used, or used so much.

It is not just that, how much extra do you pay to get the EV version over the petrol or diesel version.
Because you have to make that up with fuel savings before you get to the cheaper motoring.
I think modern leasing is probably a better bet because you don't have that extra up front cost to make up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024