Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Sporting (Green un) 20:04 - Feb 27 with 2667 viewsbuilthjack

Who used to wait outside the newsagents at 6pm on a Saturday evening for the green un?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:11 - Feb 27 with 2198 viewsKilkennyjack

Used to get walked around the pubs in town.

Covered Swans, rugby, welsh league football ht reports as well as all the Football League results.

Better than the internet.

Beware of the Risen People

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:16 - Feb 27 with 2188 views1983

Sporting Post I used stop the taxi to get it in the Texaco garage by Dyfatty flats on the way home after a night in town then read it with a coffee, bacon bap and a hangover on the Sunday morning. Kids today would never understand

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:23 - Feb 27 with 2172 viewsKeithHaynes

Wasn’t it the pink un as well ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:27 - Feb 27 with 2162 viewsSTID2017

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:23 - Feb 27 by KeithHaynes

Think that was the Sporting Echo.
Sporting Post was one of our own back then

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:31 - Feb 27 with 2153 viewsswan65split

Yep, Saturday night Bethany Square Port Talbot, from the seller, an old man with one arm Eeeeeening Pooost

Pink one was the Cardiff rag.
The Sporting (Green un) on 21:15 - Feb 27 with 2104 viewsKeithHaynes

I remember the Haverfordwest lads running up to the station after the game to catch the 5.10pm train otherwise it was an hour wait. When we missed it the few Cardiff fans had the pink un. Some of the rows we had on that train were memorable, paper everywhere. 😂

This post has been edited by an administrator

The Sporting (Green un) on 21:57 - Feb 27 with 2063 viewsbuilthjack

The Sporting (Green un) on 20:23 - Feb 27 by KeithHaynes

Scummers had the pink un yes

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Sporting (Green un) on 22:10 - Feb 27 with 2055 viewsDewi1jack

Used to get it at the newsagent at Penllergaer on the way home from the Vetch...

Or if we were home early because all the crowds had gone, would send the kids up the newsagent to get it, or drive back up myself if it was foul weather.

Check the results on Ceefax or teletext if we'd played that badly that I couldn't be arzed to get the green 'un.
Bought the pink thing on the way back from somewhere one day. Probably because the bus had broken down or whatever
Warraloadofcrap loo paper

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Login to get fewer ads

The Sporting (Green un) on 00:34 - Feb 28 with 2022 viewsSwaneeRiver

The Sporting (Green un) on 22:10 - Feb 27 by Dewi1jack

Used to get it at the newsagent at Penllergaer on the way home from the Vetch...

Or if we were home early because all the crowds had gone, would send the kids up the newsagent to get it, or drive back up myself if it was foul weather.

Check the results on Ceefax or teletext if we'd played that badly that I couldn't be arzed to get the green 'un.
Bought the pink thing on the way back from somewhere one day. Probably because the bus had broken down or whatever
Warraloadofcrap loo paper

I used to buy the Sporting Post regularly
Loved to read about our wins, not so welcome when lost
Cant remember if the other one was a Cardiff based paper so biased towards them ?
The Sporting (Green un) on 09:38 - Feb 28 with 1953 viewstrampie

The Sporting (Green un) on 00:34 - Feb 28 by SwaneeRiver

I used to buy the Sporting Post regularly
Loved to read about our wins, not so welcome when lost
Cant remember if the other one was a Cardiff based paper so biased towards them ?

Swansea had the Sporting Post, Cardiff had the 'Pink' echo and Newport had the Argus, Im not sure but the Argus might have had a sports newspaper pullout as well.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Sporting (Green un) on 13:20 - Feb 28 with 1888 viewsSirjohnalot

The Sporting (Green un) on 09:38 - Feb 28 by trampie

Swansea had the Sporting Post, Cardiff had the 'Pink' echo and Newport had the Argus, Im not sure but the Argus might have had a sports newspaper pullout as well.

Loved The Sporting, used it get it outside the Park in Neath, by the bus stop. Always had brilliant write ups on Neath rugby
The Sporting (Green un) on 13:26 - Feb 28 with 1878 viewstrampie

The Sporting (Green un) on 13:20 - Feb 28 by Sirjohnalot

Loved The Sporting, used it get it outside the Park in Neath, by the bus stop. Always had brilliant write ups on Neath rugby

They would typically give match reports up to half time then possibly a paragraph after that and the full time score.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

The Sporting (Green un) on 13:32 - Feb 28 with 1865 viewsSirjohnalot

The Sporting (Green un) on 13:26 - Feb 28 by trampie

They would typically give match reports up to half time then possibly a paragraph after that and the full time score.

Ha, yes, forgot about that
The Sporting (Green un) on 13:39 - Feb 28 with 1853 viewstrampie

The football league tables did not include Saturdays results, so you had to work it out.

The results on the fixture lists was up until the previous week.

They would often have interviews with coaches etc conducted in the week about the upcoming weekend game.

Those sports papers were great, I have always missed them and still do miss them.
If Swans were up in the North East and we didn't go and went to Cardiff v Chelsea/Birmingham/Hereford etc or Newport v Bristol Rovers/Exeter etc, I would always get their version after the game.
I think I have had a West Midlands version in the past, coming back from Lancashire or the Midlands and stop off in Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Worcester etc I think but can't be sure if a Black country type paper did it.

Crikey those English shire towns weren't happy to see a transit load of Valley Commandos jumping out and hitting local pubs on a Saturday night I know, lol.

The Sporting (Green un) on 16:10 - Feb 28 with 1805 viewsblackpooljack

Used to have " The Green" down in Blackpool. Got the legend that is John Toshack to sign mine the day we beat Blackpool 3-1 in '79 my first live Swans match.
The Sporting (Green un) on 16:15 - Feb 28 with 1800 viewsCatullus

It was a ritual for us, they'd come in the Sandfields pubs and we'd always get one. The crossword, I always tried and usually failed.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Sporting (Green un) on 16:49 - Feb 28 with 1763 viewsKeithHaynes

What was astonishing was the quick way they got those results in the paper minutes after the games ended. Then on the streets.

The Sporting (Green un) on 16:58 - Feb 28 with 1747 viewstrampie

The Sporting (Green un) on 16:49 - Feb 28 by KeithHaynes

What was astonishing was the quick way they got those results in the paper minutes after the games ended. Then on the streets.

Yes impressive.

The Sporting (Green un) on 17:12 - Feb 28 with 1743 viewsAndyconky

Used to get it at the train station before heading home to Bristol

Blog: Are we any better than other supporters ?

The Sporting (Green un) on 17:14 - Feb 28 with 1733 viewsKeithHaynes

The Sporting (Green un) on 17:12 - Feb 28 by Andyconky

Used to get it at the train station before heading home to Bristol

Hello mate, how are you ?
Tozer.

This post has been edited by an administrator

The Sporting (Green un) on 22:22 - Feb 28 with 1638 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Sporting (Green un) on 13:39 - Feb 28 by trampie

The football league tables did not include Saturdays results, so you had to work it out.

The results on the fixture lists was up until the previous week.

They would often have interviews with coaches etc conducted in the week about the upcoming weekend game.

Those sports papers were great, I have always missed them and still do miss them.
If Swans were up in the North East and we didn't go and went to Cardiff v Chelsea/Birmingham/Hereford etc or Newport v Bristol Rovers/Exeter etc, I would always get their version after the game.
I think I have had a West Midlands version in the past, coming back from Lancashire or the Midlands and stop off in Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Worcester etc I think but can't be sure if a Black country type paper did it.

Crikey those English shire towns weren't happy to see a transit load of Valley Commandos jumping out and hitting local pubs on a Saturday night I know, lol.

The result page had all the scores from all four divisions and up to date tables

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Sporting (Green un) on 22:33 - Feb 28 with 1616 viewsTreforys_Jack

A much lamented publication, anyone under the age of 30 wouldn't understand.
The Sporting (Green un) on 07:29 - Mar 1 with 1553 viewstrampie

The Sporting (Green un) on 22:22 - Feb 28 by felixstowe_jack

The result page had all the scores from all four divisions and up to date tables

I can't remember if it had the goalscorers, it might have, it had updated tables from the day before, games on the day finished at 4.40/4.50 and it was on the streets at what 5.15/5.30 so you had to work out if Swans were top the league and if Cardiff was back in the relegation zone.

The Sporting (Green un) on 07:53 - Mar 1 with 1540 viewsbuilthjack

The Sporting (Green un) on 07:29 - Mar 1 by trampie

I can't remember if it had the goalscorers, it might have, it had updated tables from the day before, games on the day finished at 4.40/4.50 and it was on the streets at what 5.15/5.30 so you had to work out if Swans were top the league and if Cardiff was back in the relegation zone.

It was pretty amazing the speed in which they did it.
Half time mini reports from Welsh League games, local rugby, and final results at the end of these reports.
No internet so all done by phone/fax.
Then printed and delivered within the hour.
Amazing fair play.

The Sporting (Green un) on 07:57 - Mar 1 with 1537 viewstrampie

The Sporting (Green un) on 07:53 - Mar 1 by builthjack

It was pretty amazing the speed in which they did it.
Half time mini reports from Welsh League games, local rugby, and final results at the end of these reports.
No internet so all done by phone/fax.
Then printed and delivered within the hour.
Amazing fair play.

I know excellent, much missed by me anyway.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024