Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh tourism tax 11:41 - Apr 13 with 17937 viewsbritferry

What you think?

I think it will be a terrible idea, it will put people off coming here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tourism-boss-says-anti-english-236

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh tourism tax on 19:57 - May 4 with 1050 views73__73

Welsh tourism tax on 19:47 - May 4 by trampie

75% of the debt is owed to ourselves, pension funds being the main case in point.

£100 billion. Let that sink in.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Welsh tourism tax on 20:05 - May 4 with 1044 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 18:48 - May 4 by johnlangy

For some reason that link wouldn't open at first. But it did just now.

'17p out of every £1 we spend in Wales comes from Welsh taxes.
The other taxes are raised by the UK Government and apply to the whole of the UK,
including Wales'.

I imagine that 17p quote is where you get your £17 billion from. She's worded that so badly. The second part presumably refers to VAT and other taxes which is raised at a UK level and registered in England when it includes Welsh VAT.

I can only repeat myself here. Every time the UK press quotes the Revenue/Expenditure figures they give a figure much larger than £17 billion. As I said, the last time I saw it they quoted £30 billion.

Well she's the Welsh finance minister, if she worded it badly it's a reflection on the quality at the Senedd.

It actually states that Wales gets 16.7 billion from Westminster and 17p of every pound the Senedd spends comes from Welsh taxes. So, if we spend 30 billion that would be 5.1 billion leaving 24.9 billion from Westminster, your numbers are way off, officially.

Of course my maths could be wrong!
Welsh tourism tax on 20:24 - May 4 with 1030 viewsonehunglow

Welsh tourism tax on 19:57 - May 4 by 73__73

dear God,embarrassing innit.
I think we 've agree on a few matter now so it show we're doing alright.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh tourism tax on 20:45 - May 4 with 1019 viewstrampie

Countries don't pay those debts off overnight mun.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh tourism tax on 07:54 - May 5 with 967 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales want to ban or tax international tourist as well as British tourist. Will cause jub losses and a huge drop of business revenues in Wales biggest and most important industry. TOURISM.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 08:13 - May 5 with 950 viewstrampie

They are talking of tourist taxes in lots of areas of the UK, not sure if any have been introduced yet but if not it's only a matter of time, I've read in the recent past about Cornwall and the Lake District thinking about doing it.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Welsh tourism tax on 09:16 - May 5 with 946 viewsonehunglow

Welsh tourism tax on 07:54 - May 5 by felixstowe_jack

Wales want to ban or tax international tourist as well as British tourist. Will cause jub losses and a huge drop of business revenues in Wales biggest and most important industry. TOURISM.

Not funny is it Felix.
Tourism is very competitive and ,now that staycations are not so prevalent due to foreign holidays reappearing ,fewer will travel to Wales. Given the contempt shown to non English speakers in north west Wales,I am amazed they travel at all to Wales. I can get by in Welsh,as it happens,so I get the jist of what they are bitching about

Welsh tourism tax on 10:13 - May 5 with 932 viewsunion_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 08:13 - May 5 by trampie

They are talking of tourist taxes in lots of areas of the UK, not sure if any have been introduced yet but if not it's only a matter of time, I've read in the recent past about Cornwall and the Lake District thinking about doing it.

Then let them do it and make it known they are doing it.

Meanwhile Wales can stay a bit cheaper on that basis or if they wish to follow then they can do it with impunity.

This is NOT something to lead on believe me.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh tourism tax on 13:55 - May 5 with 894 viewsonehunglow

Welsh tourism tax on 10:13 - May 5 by union_jack

Meanwhile Wales can stay a bit cheaper on that basis or if they wish to follow then they can do it with impunity.

Sick English people saved by treated in England and have lives saved.
Maybe England would reciprocate and have Welsh pay extra for English services.

Millions of Welsh owe their lives to England and this break away would be disastrous in every way.

Welsh tourism tax on 17:12 - May 5 with 859 viewstrampie

Welsh tourism tax on 13:55 - May 5 by onehunglow

Sick English people saved by treated in England and have lives saved.
Maybe England would reciprocate and have Welsh pay extra for English services.

Millions of Welsh owe their lives to England and this break away would be disastrous in every way.

Best thing to come out of England is the M4.

Welsh tourism tax on 19:23 - May 5 with 846 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 10:13 - May 5 by union_jack

Come on now, this is Welsh Labour, the answer to everything is always to raise taxes. They are always looking to see what new taxes they can bring in.

They reckon they'll use this tax to improve stuff, like what I'd ask? Will they spend it improving the roads infrastructure so business will come to Wales?

They're more likely to spend it increasing their numbers. To a politician there are never enough politicians!
Welsh tourism tax on 14:45 - May 21 with 734 viewsLorax

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/tourism-tax-set-to-hit-holidaymakers-in-wa
Welsh tourism tax on 14:53 - May 21 with 719 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh tourism tax on 17:12 - May 5 by trampie

Best thing to come out of England is the M4.

If you live between the bridge and Pont Abraham, otherwise it means not a jot to the rest of wales.
Welsh tourism tax on 17:50 - May 21 with 671 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 14:53 - May 21 by Whiterockin

If you live between the bridge and Pont Abraham, otherwise it means not a jot to the rest of wales.

Does not mean much if you live west of the notorious Brynglas tunnels.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 09:03 - May 22 with 615 viewsWhiterockin

Soon there will be less places to stay for visitors so less tax. Plus supply and demand will outprice Wales as a tourist destination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61525903
Welsh tourism tax on 10:19 - May 22 with 588 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 17:08 - May 4 by trampie

Sterling is Wales currency, an independent Wales or Scotland has as much right to use it as England, I researched it during the Scottish independence referendum as unionists were scaremongering that Scotland could not use the pound which was and is rubbish.
An independent Scotland or Wales can keep sterling and can keep the Queen as head of state if they like.

I don't often re-read threads so didn't notice this but...

Sterling is not Wales currency, it is the UK's currency. If we were no longer in the UK we couldn't demand it's use and if we asked and were granted its use we would be ceding fiscal/economic control to the bank of ENGLAND's policy makers. We'd have no control over interest rates.

It is not scaremongering, it is a fact.

If Wales chose to stay in the Commonwealth we could keep the Queen as head of state, that option is true for Scotland too. Referencing that with Sterling, how many Commonwealth countries outside the UK have Sterling as their currency?

Places that use Sterling are - Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, The Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, the British Antarctic Territory, and Tristan da Cunha.
Welsh tourism tax on 10:33 - May 22 with 572 viewstrampie

Welsh tourism tax on 10:19 - May 22 by Lorax

I don't often re-read threads so didn't notice this but...

Sterling is not Wales currency, it is the UK's currency. If we were no longer in the UK we couldn't demand it's use and if we asked and were granted its use we would be ceding fiscal/economic control to the bank of ENGLAND's policy makers. We'd have no control over interest rates.

It is not scaremongering, it is a fact.

If Wales chose to stay in the Commonwealth we could keep the Queen as head of state, that option is true for Scotland too. Referencing that with Sterling, how many Commonwealth countries outside the UK have Sterling as their currency?

Places that use Sterling are - Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, The Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, the British Antarctic Territory, and Tristan da Cunha.

Isle of Man, Jersey etc are not part of the UK and you note they use Sterling, Wales can use Sterling if it chooses to do so.

Welsh tourism tax on 11:30 - May 22 with 558 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 10:33 - May 22 by trampie

Isle of Man, Jersey etc are not part of the UK and you note they use Sterling, Wales can use Sterling if it chooses to do so.

Lots of nations use US Dollars.

Ireland uses Euro.

This is a bollox reason to allow London misrule to continue.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 11:57 - May 22 with 549 viewsBryanSwan

Welsh tourism tax on 07:54 - May 5 by felixstowe_jack

The tourist industry is not beneficial to many, it is filled with a huge number of low paid jobs, jobs which do not allow people to buy houses in their own communities.

Tourist taxes would be negligible for most, it is the tax increases on second homes that will have the bigger impact and in my opinion so they should, the upkeep of these communities need to be paid for somehow.

Maybe a better initiative would have been to allow a certain % of any town etc to be for holiday rental/ 2nd homes.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Welsh tourism tax on 12:11 - May 22 with 524 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh tourism tax on 11:57 - May 22 by BryanSwan

The tourist industry is not beneficial to many, it is filled with a huge number of low paid jobs, jobs which do not allow people to buy houses in their own communities.

Tourist taxes would be negligible for most, it is the tax increases on second homes that will have the bigger impact and in my opinion so they should, the upkeep of these communities need to be paid for somehow.

Maybe a better initiative would have been to allow a certain % of any town etc to be for holiday rental/ 2nd homes.

Maybe councils backed by the Senedd should just build more social housing.
Welsh tourism tax on 12:15 - May 22 with 505 viewsBryanSwan

Welsh tourism tax on 12:11 - May 22 by Whiterockin

Maybe councils backed by the Senedd should just build more social housing.

Do they even build social housing anymore? Other than flats?
Most coucils just sell land off to developers.

A % based system i think is fairest, you get to retain the community, whilst also providing for the seasonal tourism. People who live in houses all year provide more money and value to the area.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Welsh tourism tax on 12:42 - May 22 with 486 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 10:33 - May 22 by trampie

They are British crown dependencies, they use Sterling because they are allowed to.

Wales is not in the EU, can we demand to be allowed to use the Euro if we went indy?

Can we tell the USA we demand to use their Dollar?

Don't be so obtuse.

We can ask and we can be refused just as the UK government told Scotland, not just the government in fact, all 3 main parties told Scotland if they left the UK they couldn't use Sterling. You carry on living in that dreamland though.
Welsh tourism tax on 12:57 - May 22 with 468 viewstrampie

Welsh tourism tax on 12:42 - May 22 by Lorax

They are British crown dependencies, they use Sterling because they are allowed to.

Wales is not in the EU, can we demand to be allowed to use the Euro if we went indy?

Can we tell the USA we demand to use their Dollar?

Don't be so obtuse.

We can ask and we can be refused just as the UK government told Scotland, not just the government in fact, all 3 main parties told Scotland if they left the UK they couldn't use Sterling. You carry on living in that dreamland though.

They are unionist parties scaremongering, that is what they do, the pound belongs as much to Scotland and Wales as it does to other parts of Britain and if an independent Scotland or Wales wanted to use Sterling that would be up to them.

Welsh tourism tax on 13:44 - May 22 with 443 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 12:57 - May 22 by trampie

They are unionist parties scaremongering, that is what they do, the pound belongs as much to Scotland and Wales as it does to other parts of Britain and if an independent Scotland or Wales wanted to use Sterling that would be up to them.

This is correct.

Now the price you pay is that the Bank of England will continue to make the decisions, but there is no issue with the Celtic nations using the pound.

Also the Euro is a potential for them all.
Thats the best option because it will greatly upset Brenda and Keith from Stoke when tbis visit for the weekend.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 14:07 - May 22 with 425 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh tourism tax on 13:44 - May 22 by Kilkennyjack

This is correct.

Now the price you pay is that the Bank of England will continue to make the decisions, but there is no issue with the Celtic nations using the pound.

Also the Euro is a potential for them all.
Thats the best option because it will greatly upset Brenda and Keith from Stoke when tbis visit for the weekend.

I respect and somewhat admire your patriosm however not your thinly veiled xenophobia. The sennedd has been a complete disaster, you must have had such high hopes 20yrs ago, saying that Cardiff have done alright out of it I suppose and it is the capital.

Let's have a referendum I say and be done with it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024