Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Grimes 20:53 - Apr 23 with 1462 viewsmagicdaps10

Would like to see him given some time off in the remaining games and try a Downes and Ntcham midfield duo.
I like Grimes but he makes the simple look far too difficult on times.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Matt Grimes on 20:58 - Apr 23 with 980 viewsWhiterockin

Ntcham won't last a full game until Ramadan is over next month.
Matt Grimes on 21:04 - Apr 23 with 969 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 20:58 - Apr 23 by Whiterockin

Play Fulton.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes on 21:06 - Apr 23 with 958 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 21:04 - Apr 23 by Dr_Winston

Play Fulton.

I expect Fulton to go in the summer so a bit pointless.
Matt Grimes on 21:12 - Apr 23 with 942 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 21:06 - Apr 23 by Whiterockin

I expect Fulton to go in the summer so a bit pointless.

The fact that Fulton has featured so little whilst Grimes has effectively played every minute of every game may go some way towards explaining our struggles this season.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes on 21:23 - Apr 23 with 933 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 21:12 - Apr 23 by Dr_Winston

The fact that Fulton has featured so little whilst Grimes has effectively played every minute of every game may go some way towards explaining our struggles this season.

Personally I feel Fulton doesn't come close to Grimes.
Matt Grimes on 21:36 - Apr 23 with 913 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 21:23 - Apr 23 by Whiterockin

Personally I feel Fulton doesn't come close to Grimes.

I think he's at least as good and could be better.

Nothing Grimes does game in, game out could not be replicated by Fulton and in his brief appearances this season he's shown a lot more inclination to get the ball forward.

Matt Grimes on 21:38 - Apr 23 with 910 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Not grimes’ biggest fan but apart from the mistake for their goal he was very good today

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Matt Grimes on 21:40 - Apr 23 with 904 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 21:36 - Apr 23 by Dr_Winston

Nothing Grimes does game in, game out could not be replicated by Fulton and in his brief appearances this season he's shown a lot more inclination to get the ball forward.

I think it's best we agree to disagree.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Grimes on 21:44 - Apr 23 with 892 viewsKeithHaynes

Fulton unless he sits out next season won’t be here if Martin is to be believed.
No point in him playing another minute.
Give it to Congreve.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matt Grimes on 22:03 - Apr 23 with 853 viewsjack_lord

Matt Grimes on 21:44 - Apr 23 by KeithHaynes

Fulton unless he sits out next season won’t be here if Martin is to be believed.
Give it to Congreve.

Grimes had a good game today, shame about that terrible pass.
I'm with Keith, if we can't make the play offs stick Congreve in there and see how good he is.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Matt Grimes on 22:43 - Apr 23 with 818 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Matt Grimes on 21:38 - Apr 23 by PatchesOHoulihan

Not grimes’ biggest fan but apart from the mistake for their goal he was very good today

Another suicide pass from our goalkeeper to a Grimes who was marked.

We have been doing this all season.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Matt Grimes on 00:08 - Apr 24 with 779 viewscontroversial_jack

Matt Grimes on 22:03 - Apr 23 by jack_lord

Grimes had a good game today, shame about that terrible pass.
I'm with Keith, if we can't make the play offs stick Congreve in there and see how good he is.

Yes, Congreve is a rocket.
Matt Grimes on 00:42 - Apr 24 with 766 viewsSTID2017

Matt Grimes on 21:38 - Apr 23 by PatchesOHoulihan

Quite a few times he resorted to slowing it down, passing back and sideways when players were making forward runs and tipi tapping it around a few times, when getting it forward quickly would have been called for.
His corners and the free kick that Canbango should have scored from were better though.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Matt Grimes on 07:16 - Apr 24 with 720 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Matt Grimes on 20:58 - Apr 23 by Whiterockin

He hasn’t lasted a full game in any of the other months when Ramadan wasn’t happening either.
Matt Grimes on 08:07 - Apr 24 with 703 viewsBrynmill_Jack

How about the majority of next season as well? After a decent few games he was at his worst yesterday - a terrible pass which led to their goal , missed a glorious through ball to an unmarked player in the second half opting to move it sideways and hiding from any sort of responsibility.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Matt Grimes on 08:11 - Apr 24 with 701 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Who’d want Fulton to replicate what Grimes does anyway? We need a different emphasis in the middle of the park. Fulton is a better player, proven from our premier league days and far less passing back to the defender who’s looking to Grimes to move the ball forward and not be made to receive the ball under pressure.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 8:12]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Matt Grimes on 08:56 - Apr 24 with 672 viewsonehunglow

No player passes the ball backwards.

Sadly,it has become an essential part of the way we play.
5/6 close passes before being hoofed or scrambled away
Grimes runs backwards to pass the ball sideways.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Matt Grimes on 09:18 - Apr 24 with 652 viewsSTID2017

Matt Grimes on 08:56 - Apr 24 by onehunglow

No player passes the ball backwards.

Sadly,it has become an essential part of the way we play.
5/6 close passes before being hoofed or scrambled away
Grimes runs backwards to pass the ball sideways.

Watched MOTD last night.
All teams doing it, with varying success.
It is part of the modern game.
However, Grimes had a mare yesterday.
Not just the goal but slowing it down and not looking for the runner

Matt Grimes on 09:32 - Apr 24 with 641 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 09:18 - Apr 24 by STID2017

Watched MOTD last night.
All teams doing it, with varying success.
It is part of the modern game.
However, Grimes had a mare yesterday.
Not just the goal but slowing it down and not looking for the runner

Playing the ball backwards in order to shift play has been a fundamental aspect of the way we've played for most of the last fifteen years. Obviously Perchy doesn't understand that because, well, he's Perchy.

The issue is not that we pass the ball backwards and sideways. It's that we pass it backwards and sideways even when there are better forward options available. Or we hold onto the ball for an extra four or five seconds when the quicker pass is needed. Our main "playmaker" is far too risk averse to be carrying out that role.

I'm not interested in a 90% pass completion rate for the sake of it. I'd rather see a 75-80% rate with far more ambitious passes that won't always come off, but sometimes do. That was also the difference between Rodgers and Laudrup.

Matt Grimes on 09:43 - Apr 24 with 630 viewsSTID2017

Matt Grimes on 09:32 - Apr 24 by Dr_Winston

Playing the ball backwards in order to shift play has been a fundamental aspect of the way we've played for most of the last fifteen years. Obviously Perchy doesn't understand that because, well, he's Perchy.

The issue is not that we pass the ball backwards and sideways. It's that we pass it backwards and sideways even when there are better forward options available. Or we hold onto the ball for an extra four or five seconds when the quicker pass is needed. Our main "playmaker" is far too risk averse to be carrying out that role.

I'm not interested in a 90% pass completion rate for the sake of it. I'd rather see a 75-80% rate with far more ambitious passes that won't always come off, but sometimes do. That was also the difference between Rodgers and Laudrup.

Yes I agree.
Sat there in a relatively empty stadium ( 18k my arris ) no end of times seeing Piroe, Obafemi and others making runs just to turn back, as the ball was played around in midfield to defence to Fisher and start again.
Particularly frustrating when this happens when we are on the attack and it slowly but surely not breaks down but is brought back from in or around their 18 yard box, eventually to ours.

Matt Grimes on 09:45 - Apr 24 with 625 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 09:43 - Apr 24 by STID2017

Yes I agree.
Sat there in a relatively empty stadium ( 18k my arris ) no end of times seeing Piroe, Obafemi and others making runs just to turn back, as the ball was played around in midfield to defence to Fisher and start again.
Particularly frustrating when this happens when we are on the attack and it slowly but surely not breaks down but is brought back from in or around their 18 yard box, eventually to ours.

The OS Twitter account recently shared a vid of a goal at Reading. Five passes from Fisher to Obafemi to goal. I was tempted to ask them if they had any video where we've gone from an attacking position back to Fisher in five passes. Suspect that there's quite a lot more of those.

Matt Grimes on 09:49 - Apr 24 with 615 viewsBillyChong

Matt Grimes on 00:42 - Apr 24 by STID2017

Quite a few times he resorted to slowing it down, passing back and sideways when players were making forward runs and tipi tapping it around a few times, when getting it forward quickly would have been called for.
His corners and the free kick that Canbango should have scored from were better though.

Yes. Oba made a brilliant run at one point in the first half and Grimes somehow failed to spot the through ball opportunity directly in front of him, slowed his run down and passed it sideways instead. Those type of balls were what we needed yesterday to get through a big Boro defend.
Matt Grimes on 09:51 - Apr 24 with 611 viewsLorax

Matt Grimes on 21:44 - Apr 23 by KeithHaynes

Give it to Congreve.

I'm in this camp too. Now, with nothing to play for, we should be giving our youngsters the chance to impress. We should be seeing what we've got and what we need for next season. I'd put Congreve in at the start, who else is there that we think may be good enough that we can give time to?

Jasper? is it Ruhesha, the Coopers?
Matt Grimes on 09:57 - Apr 24 with 601 viewsSTID2017

Matt Grimes on 09:51 - Apr 24 by Lorax

I'm in this camp too. Now, with nothing to play for, we should be giving our youngsters the chance to impress. We should be seeing what we've got and what we need for next season. I'd put Congreve in at the start, who else is there that we think may be good enough that we can give time to?

Jasper? is it Ruhesha, the Coopers?

Sorry but the next two games are not ones to tinker with the side too much.
QPR maybe.
It would be no fun for youngsters playing in a changed side that got mauled by BMuff or the Florists.
Need to keep it solid and get two decent results and performances to keep our run and morale going

Matt Grimes on 10:07 - Apr 24 with 591 viewsLorax

Matt Grimes on 09:32 - Apr 24 by Dr_Winston

I've been saying that about grimes for months. When we were at the transfer window and there was talk he would leave but didn't and a new contract was in the pipeline, he played much better; the new contract happened and he reverted to type.

So, he slows play down, he turns down forward passes, he isn't much good at free kicks but he takes a decent corner (sometimes) and he's good at keeping possession.

Is that what we want?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024