Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing our mental health 18:15 - Feb 6 with 29369 viewsKeithHaynes

This works. We shouldn’t forget our responsibilities to ourselves.

1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:
Eat nutritious meals
Avoid smoking and vaping-- see Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in people.

3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need – and it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy.

7. Set realistic goals:
Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. Aim high, but be realistic and don't over-schedule. You'll enjoy a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self-worth as you progress toward your goal.

8. Break up the monotony:
Although our routines make us more efficient and enhance our feelings of security and safety, a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule. Alter your jogging route, plan a road-trip, take a walk in a different park, hang some new pictures or try a new restaurant.

9. Avoid alcohol and other drugs:
Keep alcohol use to a minimum and avoid other drugs. Sometimes people use alcohol and other drugs to "self-medicate" but in reality, alcohol and other drugs only aggravate problems.

10. Get help when you need it:
Seeking help is a sign of strength – not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective. People who get appropriate care can recover from mental illness and addiction and lead full, rewarding lives.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Managing our mental health on 22:18 - Feb 16 with 4363 viewsKeithHaynes

Managing our mental health on 18:50 - Feb 16 by SullutaCreturned

fresh air and exercise obviously helps but how you deal with it mentally can also be key. It's the same with many illnesses.

Of course and I can only comment in the change in him outwardly in public compared to before. He still of course has many issues, like many of us do.

Managing our mental health on 17:13 - Feb 17 with 4209 viewsBoundy

Managing our mental health on 18:50 - Feb 16 by SullutaCreturned

fresh air and exercise obviously helps but how you deal with it mentally can also be key. It's the same with many illnesses.

Exercise most definitely helps and has in my case, strangely my love of cycling certainly waned during lock down , with the roads and tracks empty and liitle social intercousrse it did affect my mental state and not for the better , now my intentions is to drag myself back to similar fitness levels just to feel better about myself

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Managing our mental health on 17:34 - Feb 17 with 4174 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 17:13 - Feb 17 by Boundy

Exercise most definitely helps and has in my case, strangely my love of cycling certainly waned during lock down , with the roads and tracks empty and liitle social intercousrse it did affect my mental state and not for the better , now my intentions is to drag myself back to similar fitness levels just to feel better about myself

Get one fitted up in your garage on roller.
I do a sixty minute plank before and afterwards

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Managing our mental health on 18:17 - Feb 17 with 4200 viewslifelong

My sister is in the late stages of Alzheimer’s, she is in a Care Home in the Swansea Valley, I visit her regularly, she doesn’t know me or where she is. We are very close and watching her suffering from this dreadful disease is having a profound effect on me.I have witnessed some pretty horrific things during my lifetime and like FB has stated I was always able to put them on the back burner, but I am finding this situation very difficult.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 18:32]
Managing our mental health on 19:13 - Feb 17 with 4182 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 18:17 - Feb 17 by lifelong

My sister is in the late stages of Alzheimer’s, she is in a Care Home in the Swansea Valley, I visit her regularly, she doesn’t know me or where she is. We are very close and watching her suffering from this dreadful disease is having a profound effect on me.I have witnessed some pretty horrific things during my lifetime and like FB has stated I was always able to put them on the back burner, but I am finding this situation very difficult.

My thoughts are with you mate.
My eldest sister was an intelligent woman yet to see her at the end of her fight with Alzhiemers was heartbreaking.
Same with my wife with cancer.
Both were intelligent beautiful women who became a shadow of themselved

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 19:18 - Feb 17 with 4181 viewsmax936

Sorry to read this Lifey, best wishes to you and yours, try and stay strong even though its very difficult, My thought's are with you.

I lost an Uncle to this dreadful illness who had been like an older Brother to me when I was growing up, he's sadly been gone a long time now, but I still remember him and think of him, his Wife is still with us, but I don't see her as much as I probably should.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Managing our mental health on 20:29 - Feb 17 with 4136 viewsonehunglow

Truly sorry to read this Roger .
It’s hard to know what to say but I’m sure your family unit will offer comfort .
I lost two grandparents to this when dementia was not really understood but I remember the decline .
Richie
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 20:31]

Managing our mental health on 21:01 - Feb 17 with 4159 viewsBoundy

So sorry to hear of yours sisters condition they say you can't choose your family but you seem to be very close to her and that makes it more so difficult to witness her decline. My thoughts are with you and your family at what must be a very emotional time for you all

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Managing our mental health on 21:19 - Feb 18 with 4080 viewsKeithHaynes

Always here Rog, my number is openly available.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Managing our mental health on 23:50 - Feb 20 with 3957 viewsKeithHaynes

Anybody else reading this in conjunction with the non reality on the football board ?

Managing our mental health on 16:02 - Feb 26 with 3706 viewsOptimisticJack

Thinking of you Roger and what you are going through.
Went through this in recent years with a close relative.
Such a cruel condition.
PM me mate if you need to chat at anytime.
Try and stay strong Rog.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 16:04]

Optimisticjack

Managing our mental health on 09:35 - Mar 10 with 3442 views1983

I think the first thing about mental health is recognising it, accepting it and not fighting it just let it come to you.

When it first hit me I didn't know what the hell was going on it was like my mind was racing 100 mile an hour out of controI, I hated being around people in work or socially which I never ever had a problem with if anything the totally opposite.

I still find myself regularly making excuses not to see people or go places and I think that's the way it will be now it's the main reason I dont watch the Swans live anymore and have only seen about 5 times in the last few years.

Even friends and family make me anxious now and I find myself making excuses to leave early arrive late and my wife understands and backs up my excuses.

The only strong bit of advice that I had from a lovely lady which has helped me is remember being on the beach in Caswell when you were a kid and playing in the waves let it hit you like a wave go through you and come out the otherside.

Its always with me but we just give each other respectful space but when you feel it coming on stop sit down, recognise the little sod and let it go through you like a wave.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2023 9:40]

Managing our mental health on 17:46 - Mar 10 with 3401 viewsKeithHaynes

Managing our mental health on 09:35 - Mar 10 by 1983

I think the first thing about mental health is recognising it, accepting it and not fighting it just let it come to you.

When it first hit me I didn't know what the hell was going on it was like my mind was racing 100 mile an hour out of controI, I hated being around people in work or socially which I never ever had a problem with if anything the totally opposite.

I still find myself regularly making excuses not to see people or go places and I think that's the way it will be now it's the main reason I dont watch the Swans live anymore and have only seen about 5 times in the last few years.

Even friends and family make me anxious now and I find myself making excuses to leave early arrive late and my wife understands and backs up my excuses.

The only strong bit of advice that I had from a lovely lady which has helped me is remember being on the beach in Caswell when you were a kid and playing in the waves let it hit you like a wave go through you and come out the otherside.

Its always with me but we just give each other respectful space but when you feel it coming on stop sit down, recognise the little sod and let it go through you like a wave.

Excellent, thank you 👍

Managing our mental health on 19:42 - Mar 11 with 3350 viewsswan65split

I can empathise with that, just keep going, it gets better,
Managing our mental health on 15:17 - Mar 15 with 3251 viewsMrSwerve

Nice post.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Managing our mental health on 17:49 - Mar 23 with 3068 viewsSullutaCreturned

I've been in that place but fortunately I got through it to a better place.

During Covid I got too used to being at home, often alone besides my dog. If nt for that dog I may not even be here.

All you can do is to carry on trying, keep on fighting but each persons fight is unique to them and all we can do is be supportive, offer to help and hope it's enough.
Managing our mental health on 22:59 - Apr 24 with 2501 viewsbuilthjack

Important to keep this thread up top. If it helps one person it will be worth it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Managing our mental health on 13:06 - Apr 25 with 2432 views3swan

I've seen a few of her football views on YouTube.

This is worth a look.

Managing our mental health on 18:11 - Apr 25 with 2393 viewsKeithHaynes

A very decent football channel on YouTube, didn’t know about this, cheers 👍

Managing our mental health on 20:36 - May 3 with 2224 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Some very sad stories on here and for me it reminds me I'm not alone with my mental health issues. My local town football club has lost three young men to suicide this year and in response to this a few individuals have started the mens health group on Facebook called you,re never alone. After only a few months the group has grown massively. Brynmawr United fc is now the abosadore club for the group. Sunday walks and talk locally, weekend walk in snowdonia, Saturday morning wild dip and every Tuesday evenings at the Tabor centre in Brynmawr a drop in session, free tea, coffee biscuits. Counselling or just a chat and no stigma. Anyway the interest for posters on here is that swansea is going to be the next area they are going to do this, so check them out on Facebook.
Managing our mental health on 21:08 - May 3 with 2211 viewsGroo

I don’t often post on here, but I thought this thread would be the perfect place for this amazing video released last December by the Welsh musician Ren.

He was brought up in Anglesey and went to Bath to study music, during this time he was offered a 3-year recording contract with Sony. As he started recording his first album, he came down with mental health issues and was unable to complete the album, returning to his parents in Wales where he would stay in bed for up to 20 hours a day.

He eventually moved to Brighton and played in a street band The Big Push (some great videos of them busking on YouTube).

Took them almost 10 years to identify his illness, his words: “Years before I was diagnosed correctly with autoimmunity, Lyme disease, and brain damage I was misdiagnosed as bipolar and spent years bouncing back and forth between therapists and trialing different antidepressants all the while getting worse and worse.”

He’s currently living in Calgary for up to 6 months to receive stem cell treatment to try and correct the damage done.

This video was released in December and is an inspiration for anyone suffering mental health issues, it has racked up more than 11 million views since then.

If you are an emotional person, then have a hanky at the ready.

Groo does what Groo does best

Managing our mental health on 22:04 - May 3 with 2200 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 21:08 - May 3 by Groo

I don’t often post on here, but I thought this thread would be the perfect place for this amazing video released last December by the Welsh musician Ren.

He was brought up in Anglesey and went to Bath to study music, during this time he was offered a 3-year recording contract with Sony. As he started recording his first album, he came down with mental health issues and was unable to complete the album, returning to his parents in Wales where he would stay in bed for up to 20 hours a day.

He eventually moved to Brighton and played in a street band The Big Push (some great videos of them busking on YouTube).

Took them almost 10 years to identify his illness, his words: “Years before I was diagnosed correctly with autoimmunity, Lyme disease, and brain damage I was misdiagnosed as bipolar and spent years bouncing back and forth between therapists and trialing different antidepressants all the while getting worse and worse.”

He’s currently living in Calgary for up to 6 months to receive stem cell treatment to try and correct the damage done.

This video was released in December and is an inspiration for anyone suffering mental health issues, it has racked up more than 11 million views since then.

If you are an emotional person, then have a hanky at the ready.

Wonderful to see you posting.
You in Edmonton still?

Managing our mental health on 18:50 - Jul 6 with 1343 viewsKeithHaynes

Mental health is a growing concern, especially on social media.

Managing our mental health on 19:09 - Jul 7 with 1302 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 18:50 - Jul 6 by KeithHaynes

Mental health is a growing concern, especially on social media.

Honestly, my mental health hasn't been great this last few months. I know very well why that is and I can't do anything about it. I had a complete meltdown a couple of days ago, shouting and swearing, a full on hysterical rant.

I needed to get it out of my system and I actually felt better afterwards but it was a result of bottling things up, trying to be strong for my sister who has terminal cancer.

Fortunately I have a forgiving wife and my boss in work has been helpful too.

Don't bottle things up folks, it doesn't end well. Talk to someone.
Managing our mental health on 18:31 - Jul 8 with 1267 viewsswan65split

Managing our mental health on 19:09 - Jul 7 by SullutaCreturned

Honestly, my mental health hasn't been great this last few months. I know very well why that is and I can't do anything about it. I had a complete meltdown a couple of days ago, shouting and swearing, a full on hysterical rant.

I needed to get it out of my system and I actually felt better afterwards but it was a result of bottling things up, trying to be strong for my sister who has terminal cancer.

Fortunately I have a forgiving wife and my boss in work has been helpful too.

Don't bottle things up folks, it doesn't end well. Talk to someone.

I fully agree with that,when I was in engineering, and having a really bad spell, the shift I was on the lads and management were superb,

though it was some time before I could appreciate it,sadly many of them are no longer around for me to give my thanks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024