Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97545 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:28 - Aug 10 with 1881 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The 20MPH punishments on 15:55 - Aug 9 by Boundy

Yours probably correct ,I couldnt say but having worked in both the transmission and recently the generation side of our electricity supply then I do know something of how it all joins together, imo EV in its present form will do more harm than good due to the amount of waste created just by their presence. The current infrastructure on motorways when it comrs to EVs cannot compete in refuelling for example nor will for quite a few years yet.
Only when the west really take China etc the main polluters of the world to task will our efforts mean something

As you have actually worked on the national grid perhaps you could answer a couple of simple questions for me.
The grid is set up to eventually provide 240v to households.
How does it handle the electricity at 240v at a few amps flowing the other way from household Solar Panels in to the grid?
How does the 240v overcome the 11Kv coming the other way from local substations and the 275Kv & 400Kv from the main substations?
It is 50 years since I did Electrical Engineering at college and I can't remember how it works.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:34 - Aug 10 with 1800 viewshowenjack

The sooner this nonsense is stopped the better - The economy is going to take a massive hit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12393711/Criticism-Welsh-Labour-governm
The 20MPH punishments on 21:09 - Aug 10 with 1785 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 20:34 - Aug 10 by howenjack

The sooner this nonsense is stopped the better - The economy is going to take a massive hit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12393711/Criticism-Welsh-Labour-governm

In that link there's a claim this will increase Nox pollution too. NOx pollution can worsen asthma and heart disease and is tied to elevated risks of premature death.

So then, fewer people hurt or killed because of RTA's but hw many will suffer worse health and die because of this policy?
The 20MPH punishments on 22:00 - Aug 10 with 1762 viewshowenjack

The 20MPH punishments on 21:09 - Aug 10 by SullutaCreturned

In that link there's a claim this will increase Nox pollution too. NOx pollution can worsen asthma and heart disease and is tied to elevated risks of premature death.

So then, fewer people hurt or killed because of RTA's but hw many will suffer worse health and die because of this policy?

True . The guy has jumped on a
Bandwagon without thinking it through. The first Swans game after the new law comes in is Sheffield Wed home Tailbacks all the way to the stadium ? No station servicing the Stadium seems more short sighted than ever.
The 20MPH punishments on 06:13 - Aug 11 with 1713 viewsWhiterockin

Roads affected by changes to the speed limit on restricted roads

https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-r
The 20MPH punishments on 09:07 - Aug 11 with 1678 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 11:28 - Aug 10 by A_Fans_Dad

As you have actually worked on the national grid perhaps you could answer a couple of simple questions for me.
The grid is set up to eventually provide 240v to households.
How does it handle the electricity at 240v at a few amps flowing the other way from household Solar Panels in to the grid?
How does the 240v overcome the 11Kv coming the other way from local substations and the 275Kv & 400Kv from the main substations?
It is 50 years since I did Electrical Engineering at college and I can't remember how it works.

Sorry just saw your query ,and for going off topic
"The grid is set up to eventually provide 240v to households.
How does it handle the electricity at 240v at a few amps flowing the other way from household Solar Panels in to the grid " ?
1. My understanding is that nominally each panel you see on a private dwelling roof produces around 355W.this power is converted from DC to AC via an inverter . As you may remember the flow of electricity is often compared to the flow of water If you have two seperate water sources, the water will flow in the direction with greater pressure. If you raise or lower the water pressure, you can then alter teh direction the water will flow controlled by the inverter ,The same applies with an inverter connected with the grid. so although the incoming mains supply has a higher capacity than the tiny inverter, the current will flow from the highest Voltage to the lower Voltage. To allow the flow from the solar panels to take precedent all the inverter needs to d is slightly raise the voltage output, which allows the excess power to return to the grid. Protection features in the inverter will kick in should the load get too high for the inverter then solar panel supply Voltage will drop, which in turn allows grid power to flow in and make good the short fall.

2. How does the 240v overcome the 11Kv coming the other way from local substations and the 275Kv & 400Kv from the main substations?
Dependant on the voltage then the changes are controlled by a suitably rated transformer ,which either steps up or down the voltage , the reason for high voltages is to enable the transfer of power over long distances , an interesting ( although potentially deadly phenomeum ) is, even on a dead circuit on a 400 /275kV overhead line it has a potential to have 900 amps sitting in it ,which for a linesman can cause problems if not controlled by adequate drain earthing
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 10:50]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 13:29 - Aug 11 with 1636 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The 20MPH punishments on 09:07 - Aug 11 by Boundy

Sorry just saw your query ,and for going off topic
"The grid is set up to eventually provide 240v to households.
How does it handle the electricity at 240v at a few amps flowing the other way from household Solar Panels in to the grid " ?
1. My understanding is that nominally each panel you see on a private dwelling roof produces around 355W.this power is converted from DC to AC via an inverter . As you may remember the flow of electricity is often compared to the flow of water If you have two seperate water sources, the water will flow in the direction with greater pressure. If you raise or lower the water pressure, you can then alter teh direction the water will flow controlled by the inverter ,The same applies with an inverter connected with the grid. so although the incoming mains supply has a higher capacity than the tiny inverter, the current will flow from the highest Voltage to the lower Voltage. To allow the flow from the solar panels to take precedent all the inverter needs to d is slightly raise the voltage output, which allows the excess power to return to the grid. Protection features in the inverter will kick in should the load get too high for the inverter then solar panel supply Voltage will drop, which in turn allows grid power to flow in and make good the short fall.

2. How does the 240v overcome the 11Kv coming the other way from local substations and the 275Kv & 400Kv from the main substations?
Dependant on the voltage then the changes are controlled by a suitably rated transformer ,which either steps up or down the voltage , the reason for high voltages is to enable the transfer of power over long distances , an interesting ( although potentially deadly phenomeum ) is, even on a dead circuit on a 400 /275kV overhead line it has a potential to have 900 amps sitting in it ,which for a linesman can cause problems if not controlled by adequate drain earthing
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 10:50]

Thanks for that.
The 20MPH punishments on 08:07 - Aug 15 with 1528 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The emergency services have also said their response times to reach emergencies will also increase due to being stuck behind slow vehicles travelling at 20 mph and the fact that ambulance and Fire engines are limited to only going 20 mph over the speed limit. Currently they can do 50mph in 30mph zones if safe to do so. They will now be limited to 40mph in these zones.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 23:08 - Aug 15 with 1465 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My neighbour claims there is a group who are planning to drive around at 10mph to protest about the change to 20mph. I have not heard about this but you won't need many people to do it to have a big impact.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 06:00 - Aug 16 with 1456 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My neighbour claims there is a group who are planning to drive around at 10mph to protest about the change to 20mph. I have not heard about this but you won't need many people to do it to have a big impact.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 08:31 - Aug 16 with 1432 viewsRobbie

Can see real issues regarding road safety and driving standards trying to enfoce this law .

On a past occasion I was in trailing traffic behind the lead car doing 35 mph on the Pontardawe By Pass , limit is 40 mph , so the driver was driving within the legal limit .

However , most of my short trip was spent checking my rear view mirror , checking vehicles around me awaiting a dangerous overtake by a chancer or speed freak .

How many people think the boy racers who tear up my road at 60-70 in a 30 limit are going to take much notice , even these horrendous electric bikes / scooters are capable of dangerous speeds , of course they will be the first drivers to adhere to the new rules .
The 20MPH punishments on 11:39 - Aug 16 with 1369 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 08:31 - Aug 16 by Robbie

Can see real issues regarding road safety and driving standards trying to enfoce this law .

On a past occasion I was in trailing traffic behind the lead car doing 35 mph on the Pontardawe By Pass , limit is 40 mph , so the driver was driving within the legal limit .

However , most of my short trip was spent checking my rear view mirror , checking vehicles around me awaiting a dangerous overtake by a chancer or speed freak .

How many people think the boy racers who tear up my road at 60-70 in a 30 limit are going to take much notice , even these horrendous electric bikes / scooters are capable of dangerous speeds , of course they will be the first drivers to adhere to the new rules .

Just a byline to the illegal electric bike riders, how many truthfully hope to see one speed past doing wheelies come off ? I'll stick my hand up

The 20MPH punishments on 12:55 - Aug 16 with 1355 viewsRobbie

One law abiding and upright citizen on one of these deathtraps , decided to weave through stationary traffis at traffic lights then , totally ignore the red and rode through without a thought for other drivers .

Sure tfe police can trace him , here is a description , black hoodie and face mask , dark jogging bottoms and trainers , black bike with no lights or number plate , this incident happened late evening too , that should be enough to track him down and charge him .

So if I do 23 mph in a 20 mph , my roadworthy car and numberplate, valid insurance etc will be so much easier for a prosecution , points and a fine .

WAG and SWP get your priorities right .
The 20MPH punishments on 13:19 - Aug 16 with 1349 viewspencoedjack

The 20MPH punishments on 08:31 - Aug 16 by Robbie

Boy racers?

Cyclists will be over taking you as they are allowed to ride over 20 mph & never use cycle lanes.

Hopefully people will remember this & the other stupid laws the WAG has put in place when it comes to the next election.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:35 - Aug 16 with 1346 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 13:19 - Aug 16 by pencoedjack

Boy racers?

Cyclists will be over taking you as they are allowed to ride over 20 mph & never use cycle lanes.

Hopefully people will remember this & the other stupid laws the WAG has put in place when it comes to the next election.

I can see the number of accidents involving cyclists (Drakefords prefered form of transport) increase as they overtake cars. A car overtaking a cyclist has to leave a 1.5M gap, a cyclist overtaking a car nothing. It's only looking for trouble.
The 20MPH punishments on 14:20 - Aug 16 with 1337 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 13:19 - Aug 16 by pencoedjack

Boy racers?

Too right, and the number f cyclists I see ignoring red lights, not stopping at crossings and riding too fast on pavements too.

Here's a thought, what if this doesn't actually save any lives and causes more accidents because of the bad drivers, will they cut the limit again?
The 20MPH punishments on 14:38 - Aug 16 with 1326 viewsRobbie

The 20MPH punishments on 14:20 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

Too right, and the number f cyclists I see ignoring red lights, not stopping at crossings and riding too fast on pavements too.

Here's a thought, what if this doesn't actually save any lives and causes more accidents because of the bad drivers, will they cut the limit again?

Dont give Drakeford any ideas he cold well consider .

His next move will be having a bloke waving a red flag in front of a moving car , failing that I am afraid we are back to Horse and Cart in Wales .

We can then watch the rest of the world develop and introdce through inovation and new ideas , more fuel efficent , safer , and albeit , electric vehicles .

Never mind the view is nice of a road full of pothalls , and sunken tarmac channels from the saddle of my donkey as I ride to the local shop .
The 20MPH punishments on 17:32 - Aug 16 with 1266 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 14:38 - Aug 16 by Robbie

Dont give Drakeford any ideas he cold well consider .

His next move will be having a bloke waving a red flag in front of a moving car , failing that I am afraid we are back to Horse and Cart in Wales .

We can then watch the rest of the world develop and introdce through inovation and new ideas , more fuel efficent , safer , and albeit , electric vehicles .

Never mind the view is nice of a road full of pothalls , and sunken tarmac channels from the saddle of my donkey as I ride to the local shop .

News although not really news as its becoming the normal but tail backs were again from the Severn bridge to the tunnels ,all those tourists heading west may think again next year

The 20MPH punishments on 15:17 - Aug 21 with 1147 viewsblackswan

BBC news reports bus routes to be axed with the 20mph limit the straw that broke the camels back
The 20MPH punishments on 15:32 - Aug 21 with 1136 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 15:17 - Aug 21 by blackswan

BBC news reports bus routes to be axed with the 20mph limit the straw that broke the camels back

We discussed the impact on public transport when the speed limit was first announced. We could all see it the Senedd couldn't or didn't want too.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:00 - Aug 21 with 1087 viewsmajorraglan

The biggest issue is the fact the £150m Covid grant has been scrapped, then there’s the fact passengers have dropped from over 100m to around 50m now. I dare say the 20mph is a factor, but on most local journeys through towns etc the buses probably wouldn’t go much faster than that anyway. The place this is really going to hurt is in our rural communities where distances are much larger and cycling etc isn’t an option. Mrs T deregulated buses back in the day across most of the U.K. with the exception of London which is now just about the only place left with an integrated unlicensed transport network.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:17 - Aug 21 with 1078 viewsFlashberryjack

The 20MPH punishments on 15:32 - Aug 21 by Whiterockin

We discussed the impact on public transport when the speed limit was first announced. We could all see it the Senedd couldn't or didn't want too.

The Senedd do what they want, irrespective of the views of the people they are supposed to represent, bit like a country run by a dictatorship.

What makes it even more tragic is, they'll still get voted back into power.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The 20MPH punishments on 18:49 - Aug 21 with 1064 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 18:00 - Aug 21 by majorraglan

The biggest issue is the fact the £150m Covid grant has been scrapped, then there’s the fact passengers have dropped from over 100m to around 50m now. I dare say the 20mph is a factor, but on most local journeys through towns etc the buses probably wouldn’t go much faster than that anyway. The place this is really going to hurt is in our rural communities where distances are much larger and cycling etc isn’t an option. Mrs T deregulated buses back in the day across most of the U.K. with the exception of London which is now just about the only place left with an integrated unlicensed transport network.

I'll give you 3 bus routes for a start that will be massively affected. X11 Swansea to Llanelli and on to Carmarthen. X13 Swansea to Ammanford. 14 Swansea to Pennard. Then throw in the bus Swansea to Pontadawe and on to Ystradgynlais. Then there sre the busses to Neath and Port Talbot, all there routes will be hammered.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:53 - Aug 21 with 1045 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 18:49 - Aug 21 by Whiterockin

I'll give you 3 bus routes for a start that will be massively affected. X11 Swansea to Llanelli and on to Carmarthen. X13 Swansea to Ammanford. 14 Swansea to Pennard. Then throw in the bus Swansea to Pontadawe and on to Ystradgynlais. Then there sre the busses to Neath and Port Talbot, all there routes will be hammered.

Not 20 miles away is Ystrad . Cultural difference I remember was planets away .

No offence

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 19:13 - Aug 21 with 1031 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 18:53 - Aug 21 by onehunglow

Not 20 miles away is Ystrad . Cultural difference I remember was planets away .

No offence

No reason for them to have the service cut if it happens. If a bus takes 30% longer are they going to put more busses on to take up the slack and maintain the service or cut the timetable. Many on this route, clydach, pontadawe use the bus to get to work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024