Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets 15:15 - Dec 8 with 3193 viewsSwansIndependent

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets 8th Dec 2023 15:10
The man who was once Jack Butty passed on from these pages quite controversially when he was seen lurking around a Rum store in deepest Cornwall. The man who stated to us he was from the past had an iPhone and a magliite torch. There was a smell about this imposter that we didn’t like, so the inevitable happened. 0

Andrew Winfield explores the reality of Duff’s departure, click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 08:15 - Dec 9 with 2799 viewsangryjack

Don't matter what style we play he can't do thee basics, baffles me how he ever made it
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 12:25 - Dec 9 with 2637 viewsSullutaCreturned

Yates is the problem, not because he's not good enough but because he was played as a lone striker and he's not that man.

We needed a striker for him to play off and in my opinion Kuhareyvich and Yates should have played together; Either in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 but not with wing backs but proper wingers.
The problem there would be our centre backs are not good enough for a back three. 4-4-2 it is then, or 4-1-3-2 I suppose.

Whatever happens, whoever the next manager/coach is, he needs to be more tactically aware. Duff seems to have had the same problem as Martin, he had one way to play, one formation and he was trying to make the players fit his plan rather than make a plan to fit the players.
As we saw a few times though, when they stepped away from their first choice plan we had a team capable of getting results.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 13:06 - Dec 9 with 2590 viewsjasper_T

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 12:25 - Dec 9 by SullutaCreturned

Yates is the problem, not because he's not good enough but because he was played as a lone striker and he's not that man.

We needed a striker for him to play off and in my opinion Kuhareyvich and Yates should have played together; Either in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 but not with wing backs but proper wingers.
The problem there would be our centre backs are not good enough for a back three. 4-4-2 it is then, or 4-1-3-2 I suppose.

Whatever happens, whoever the next manager/coach is, he needs to be more tactically aware. Duff seems to have had the same problem as Martin, he had one way to play, one formation and he was trying to make the players fit his plan rather than make a plan to fit the players.
As we saw a few times though, when they stepped away from their first choice plan we had a team capable of getting results.

Yates scored half his non-penalty goals last season playing out wide in a short October purple patch. 14 goals for a relegated side sounds good on the surface but when you look in more detail you wonder what we were thinking spending that much money on him. It's not enough goals if all he's supposed to contribute is goals. He's Cullen with better PR (and worse link play).
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 17:12 - Dec 9 with 2496 viewsRhonddaSwans

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 08:15 - Dec 9 by angryjack

Don't matter what style we play he can't do thee basics, baffles me how he ever made it

????? who won us the three points

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 17:29 - Dec 9 with 2457 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 13:06 - Dec 9 by jasper_T

Yates scored half his non-penalty goals last season playing out wide in a short October purple patch. 14 goals for a relegated side sounds good on the surface but when you look in more detail you wonder what we were thinking spending that much money on him. It's not enough goals if all he's supposed to contribute is goals. He's Cullen with better PR (and worse link play).

Well out wide or as a second striker, either way he wasn't being played in his best position by Duff.
Put yates out wide in a front three then, try Cullen or Kuhareyvich through the middle.

I have to ask, with so many players being played out of position the last few years, do our managers know where a players best position is? It's as if they do a positional tombola on a match day.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 17:37 - Dec 9 with 2446 viewsonehunglow

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 17:29 - Dec 9 by SullutaCreturned

Well out wide or as a second striker, either way he wasn't being played in his best position by Duff.
Put yates out wide in a front three then, try Cullen or Kuhareyvich through the middle.

I have to ask, with so many players being played out of position the last few years, do our managers know where a players best position is? It's as if they do a positional tombola on a match day.

Indeed.
Incredible well paid coaches seemingly clueless as the abilities of their staff .
Fans are not thick ,even those who watch via a stream .or Swansea tv

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:08 - Dec 9 with 2400 viewsReslovenSwan1

Jerry Yates is not a one season wonder.

Over the last 6 season including this one, the has scored a minimum 7 and a maximum 23. Averaging out at a respectful 12 per season. More if he adds to his 6 so far this season.

Cullen would be ecstatic at those sort of numbers. Lowe missed Swansea's last penalty so I expect Yates to take over.

I believe he has retained his transfer value. Ony 27.

Wise sage since Toshack era

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:11 - Dec 9 with 2401 viewsKeithHaynes

In his prime, but when he has time on the ball he fluffs it, give him an opportunity with little to time to think it’s a better result.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:25 - Dec 9 with 2382 viewsangryjack

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 17:12 - Dec 9 by RhonddaSwans

????? who won us the three points

Doesn't make him a good player because he scored a goal
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:33 - Dec 9 with 2365 viewsReslovenSwan1

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:25 - Dec 9 by angryjack

Doesn't make him a good player because he scored a goal

He has averaged 12 a season for the last 6 seasons (including 23/24) in the Championship and League 1. Lowe can do it but is not so consistent. Cullen has not yet shown he ca match Yates and Kuharevic is injured most of the time.

I never understood why Swansea got rid of Gomis. He was a goal machine and was still banging them in last season at 38 in the Turkish top flight.

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 20:39 - Dec 9 with 2279 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 18:33 - Dec 9 by ReslovenSwan1

He has averaged 12 a season for the last 6 seasons (including 23/24) in the Championship and League 1. Lowe can do it but is not so consistent. Cullen has not yet shown he ca match Yates and Kuharevic is injured most of the time.

I never understood why Swansea got rid of Gomis. He was a goal machine and was still banging them in last season at 38 in the Turkish top flight.

Between 2014-2017 he scored 13 times for us in 64 appearances, 1 in 5. Not bad but hardly a goal machine.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 21:43 - Dec 9 with 2188 viewsReslovenSwan1

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 20:39 - Dec 9 by SullutaCreturned

Between 2014-2017 he scored 13 times for us in 64 appearances, 1 in 5. Not bad but hardly a goal machine.

His goal ratio at Swansea was far worse than anywhere else he played in his career. He was a 'goal machine' but not in the Premier league for Swansea.

355 goals in 773 games almost all in the top leagues. Excluding a 4 and half year spell in Saudi 239 goals in 619 games.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2023 21:50]

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 22:00 - Dec 9 with 2162 viewsangryjack

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 21:43 - Dec 9 by ReslovenSwan1

His goal ratio at Swansea was far worse than anywhere else he played in his career. He was a 'goal machine' but not in the Premier league for Swansea.

355 goals in 773 games almost all in the top leagues. Excluding a 4 and half year spell in Saudi 239 goals in 619 games.

He qas offside all the time
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 00:15 - Dec 10 with 2053 viewsReslovenSwan1

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 22:00 - Dec 9 by angryjack

He qas offside all the time

I suspect this was not always his fault. He made runs and Swansea were not direct.

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 11:56 - Dec 10 with 1857 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 00:15 - Dec 10 by ReslovenSwan1

I suspect this was not always his fault. He made runs and Swansea were not direct.

Which might mean he was the wrong forward for us. For a fair while we haven't been quick at getting the ball forward or breaking the lines with through balls.

Of course right now we don't have the pace to try such passes. Maybe it'd be the best pass for Yates, a through ball that requires an instant finish, given what Keith said.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 12:29 - Dec 10 with 1821 viewsEagleEye

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 21:43 - Dec 9 by ReslovenSwan1

We never played to Gomis strength which was playing with the ball in front of him. Same issue with Yates - his strength is not playing with his back to the opposition goal.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 14:46 - Dec 10 with 1745 viewsKeithHaynes

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 12:29 - Dec 10 by EagleEye

We never played to Gomis strength which was playing with the ball in front of him. Same issue with Yates - his strength is not playing with his back to the opposition goal.

If I recall Gomis was caught offside seven times in one home game.
He was very good at that 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 14:58 - Dec 10 with 1727 viewsangryjack

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 12:29 - Dec 10 by EagleEye

Many times we have played the ball to yates in the gap or in the hole only for him not to have the strength or speed get on end of it..just don't think he's good at much ,.,law of averages he will score goals as he in and around the box,anyone would even Christian maclean or Stewart Phillips..
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 15:11 - Dec 10 with 1717 viewsjack247

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 14:58 - Dec 10 by angryjack

Many times we have played the ball to yates in the gap or in the hole only for him not to have the strength or speed get on end of it..just don't think he's good at much ,.,law of averages he will score goals as he in and around the box,anyone would even Christian maclean or Stewart Phillips..

This is just it. He hasn’t been in and around the box. He’s been playing back to goal in around the final third, not the penalty area.

He is a strange signing, as he doesn’t offer much that Cullen doesn’t, but I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as you do.

He’s far better off coming on for half an hour and getting the kind of chance he scored from yesterday than playing 90 minutes as a target man.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 16:54 - Dec 10 with 1659 viewsBillyChong

Gomis wasn’t happy at the club from fairly early on and wanted out from a few months in. Broken promises about game time. Didn’t we have to pay him millions of owed signing on fees to get rid of him as well? A poor deal.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 19:19 - Dec 10 with 1570 viewsDr_Winston

I'll only say what I've said before and what is blindingly obvious to my eyes:

We have not, at any point, played the kind of football that will get the best out of Jerry Yates. Despite this he has mustered six goals this season, just two behind Joel Piroe. Give the lad decent service, and he is easily capable of 15 goals a season at this level. Maybe more. Nothing to be sniffed at.

Gomis was clearly a top quality player badly let down by the idiocy of appointing Garry Monk as manager.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 21:11 - Dec 10 with 1500 viewsWhiterockin

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 19:19 - Dec 10 by Dr_Winston

We have not, at any point, played the kind of football that will get the best out of Jerry Yates. Despite this he has mustered six goals this season, just two behind Joel Piroe. Give the lad decent service, and he is easily capable of 15 goals a season at this level. Maybe more. Nothing to be sniffed at.

Gomis was clearly a top quality player badly let down by the idiocy of appointing Garry Monk as manager.

Doc it's brilliant to have you back, our opinions often differ but that's what makes the board interesting.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 04:51 - Dec 11 with 1400 viewsRichardO

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 19:19 - Dec 10 by Dr_Winston

I seem to remember Gomis and Ayew regularly going for the same ball in the box, doing defenders jobs for them making sure they neither could get a clean headers on the ball in attacking positions, Andre Ayew didn't seem willing or able to allow others team mates to outdo him.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 08:22 - Dec 11 with 1342 viewsjack247

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 04:51 - Dec 11 by RichardO

I seem to remember Gomis and Ayew regularly going for the same ball in the box, doing defenders jobs for them making sure they neither could get a clean headers on the ball in attacking positions, Andre Ayew didn't seem willing or able to allow others team mates to outdo him.

That probably did happen a lot, but Ayew seemed to score more headers than you’d expect for someone of his height (appreciate he had a good leap) and also ghost into positions for decent shooting chances when they played together.

I’d like to think Yates would do that playing off Kukharevych or anyone who could occupy centre backs.

Not comparing the two players. Ayew had a lot more to his all round game. Yates is happy to do the dirty work, but is essentially a poacher.
The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 09:51 - Dec 11 with 1299 viewsRichardO

The Jerry Yates situation now Duff has left & the Swans uninspiring targets on 08:22 - Dec 11 by jack247

That probably did happen a lot, but Ayew seemed to score more headers than you’d expect for someone of his height (appreciate he had a good leap) and also ghost into positions for decent shooting chances when they played together.

I’d like to think Yates would do that playing off Kukharevych or anyone who could occupy centre backs.

Not comparing the two players. Ayew had a lot more to his all round game. Yates is happy to do the dirty work, but is essentially a poacher.

As you say Ayew aerially attacking the ball had merit both attacking and in last stint with us defensively at corners on the front post and had a lot to offer but time takes it's toll.
As for Yates as you say an assured poacher and finisher in the box we haven't got the forward line right too often made difficult given the injuries to the likes of Ginnelly and Kuharevich.
Maybe playing the three Bolansie, Lowe and Yates together
might be a better option given we will have Fulton and Grime in the middle but that would mean dropping Paterson or Patino to the bench only needing one as a linking player.
With Lowe on the right it might reduce Key's workload as he seems to do an awful lot of work providing good attacking threat while often being the last ditch defender.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024