Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros 22:07 - Jun 12 with 2115 viewsvetchonian

A great night for our club last night as 5 Swans players present and past finished on the pitch led by the manager who is a Swansea lad

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 22:35 - Jun 12 with 2040 viewsHighjack

Aye it's not bad. Our youth system isn't too shabby really.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

5 on 23:01 - Jun 12 with 1974 viewsKilkennyjack

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 22:35 - Jun 12 by Highjack

Aye it's not bad. Our youth system isn't too shabby really.

It depends.

Great credit to the old Swansea City Centre of Excellence, under the great alan curtis, which with no money at all produced local boys joey, ben, and jazz. Plus MacDonald. Outstanding. Joey and Ben both made huge contributions out in Bordeaux.

Since we pumped millions of pounds in the new Academy and signed players from everywhere then we have produced - well, nobody at all. Not even players who have made an impact elsewhere lower down the leagues. Not one. Kingsley looks a fine player, but somebody else produced him. Likewise Barrow and McBurnie.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me ? It does.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2016 23:06]

Beware of the Risen People

5 on 23:24 - Jun 12 with 1924 viewsBanosswan

5 on 23:01 - Jun 12 by Kilkennyjack

It depends.

Great credit to the old Swansea City Centre of Excellence, under the great alan curtis, which with no money at all produced local boys joey, ben, and jazz. Plus MacDonald. Outstanding. Joey and Ben both made huge contributions out in Bordeaux.

Since we pumped millions of pounds in the new Academy and signed players from everywhere then we have produced - well, nobody at all. Not even players who have made an impact elsewhere lower down the leagues. Not one. Kingsley looks a fine player, but somebody else produced him. Likewise Barrow and McBurnie.

The requirements are higher these days. Doesn't make it right, but all (including us) premier teams now want a more developed player. Ben was lucky Neil got injured for his chance and joey fitted a template we had.

We should still give a few more youngsters a chance

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

5 on 23:35 - Jun 12 with 1889 viewsSwan91

It depends.

well those players were with our club for many years before getting the chance..

yes we have built the academy and invested millions but it is a long term plan... you can't expect to see results so quickly, the ones who will feel the benefits will be the much younger groups. this is why the club buy those players, to fill the youth team with promising players until it reaches the point where the youngsters who will benefit the recent upgrades will get to that age level.
5 on 03:47 - Jun 13 with 1792 viewsStarsky

5 on 23:35 - Jun 12 by Swan91

well those players were with our club for many years before getting the chance..

yes we have built the academy and invested millions but it is a long term plan... you can't expect to see results so quickly, the ones who will feel the benefits will be the much younger groups. this is why the club buy those players, to fill the youth team with promising players until it reaches the point where the youngsters who will benefit the recent upgrades will get to that age level.

Ironically, if we were down in the 3rd tier we'd full of home players in a couple of years.
If we stay in the Premier, we probably won't see one break through for a while.

It's just the internet, init.

5 on 06:49 - Jun 13 with 1720 viewsDr_Winston

It depends.

We started pumping money into the Academy five years ago, and it wasn't even finished until this year.

How quickly do you think players are produced?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

5 on 07:10 - Jun 13 with 1688 viewsPhil_S

It depends.

It's madness to believe that you pump money in one day and start producing players the next day

The results of what we put into the academy will take time to show itself and is less likely to produce those results in the Premier League where the demands will almost dictate that we spend and buy a player elsewhere rather than blood too much youth (not saying it is right but imagine the outpour of anger even now if we said we were going to stick with Kingsley and Taylor for next season)

As someone else has commented if we slip down the divisions then the academy will show higher results than if we stay here IMO

The key part is though we are giving the players we do have at that level the best possible opportunity and our facilities are some of the best that there is thus again increasing the chances
5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 07:57 - Jun 13 with 1642 viewstrampie

I think lots of the Wales 58' team [made Q/F's of WC] had connections to Swansea.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 08:18 - Jun 13 with 1589 viewsClinton

With the facilities we've built, presumably we'll be able to develop decent players.
Whilst we are in the Premier League the difficult thing must be: How do you get really good academy players to make the step up to the best league in the world?
I hope the club/academy are really putting some thought into that. I suppose we need to be doing it similar to Southampton who seem to have worked out a system to produce a pipeline of players. Contrast with,say, Chelsea who have lots of top youngsters, but few break through.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 08:26 - Jun 13 with 1572 viewslifelong

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 07:57 - Jun 13 by trampie

I think lots of the Wales 58' team [made Q/F's of WC] had connections to Swansea.

5 of the side that played in that QF were born in Swansea, Ivor Allchurch, Jack Kelsey, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones and Mel Charles. John Charles was injured.
Only two were actually playing for us ar the time, Ivor Allchurch and Mel Charles who both left us after the World Cup, Ivor to Newcastle and Mel to Arsenal.
5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 08:33 - Jun 13 with 1549 viewshammy

Yes indeed and it felt like watching a Swans team at the stadium on Saturday. Looks like we'll be playing a Spurs infused England team on Thursday; about time we got the win we are due against them (but a draw would be good enough !).

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 09:50 - Jun 13 with 1469 viewsjasper_T

Connor Roberts will be better than Rangel soon.
5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 09:58 - Jun 13 with 1455 viewswhiterock

5 "Swansea" players finish for Wales at the Euoros on 08:26 - Jun 13 by lifelong

5 of the side that played in that QF were born in Swansea, Ivor Allchurch, Jack Kelsey, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones and Mel Charles. John Charles was injured.
Only two were actually playing for us ar the time, Ivor Allchurch and Mel Charles who both left us after the World Cup, Ivor to Newcastle and Mel to Arsenal.

And the great thing is that of the 6 (counting JC), 5 lived within a mile of the Liberty stadium and Terry Medwin lived 100 yards from the Vetch
5 on 23:37 - Jun 13 with 1282 viewsKilkennyjack

5 on 07:10 - Jun 13 by Phil_S

It's madness to believe that you pump money in one day and start producing players the next day

The results of what we put into the academy will take time to show itself and is less likely to produce those results in the Premier League where the demands will almost dictate that we spend and buy a player elsewhere rather than blood too much youth (not saying it is right but imagine the outpour of anger even now if we said we were going to stick with Kingsley and Taylor for next season)

As someone else has commented if we slip down the divisions then the academy will show higher results than if we stay here IMO

The key part is though we are giving the players we do have at that level the best possible opportunity and our facilities are some of the best that there is thus again increasing the chances

Phil, mun - bottom line is that if the old Centre of Excellence could produce a number of Premier League standard, locally sourced, players with no money, then our minumum expectation from the new multi million pound Academy is at least the same - or whats the point.

No need to ask for more time, the Centre of Excellence was already in place as a springboard from which to move forward. In terms of player production we appear to have stalled and i am not sure why ..?

I clearly remember the very exciting emergence of curtis, james and charles so we can do it - we don't need excuses and more time. We can produce high quality players from this area.

Beware of the Risen People

5 on 01:21 - Jun 14 with 1242 viewsLoyal

5 on 23:37 - Jun 13 by Kilkennyjack

Phil, mun - bottom line is that if the old Centre of Excellence could produce a number of Premier League standard, locally sourced, players with no money, then our minumum expectation from the new multi million pound Academy is at least the same - or whats the point.

No need to ask for more time, the Centre of Excellence was already in place as a springboard from which to move forward. In terms of player production we appear to have stalled and i am not sure why ..?

I clearly remember the very exciting emergence of curtis, james and charles so we can do it - we don't need excuses and more time. We can produce high quality players from this area.

Don't forget Lee Jenkins, Stuart Roberts and Damien Lacey.,

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

5 on 06:33 - Jun 14 with 1193 viewsPacemaker

5 on 23:37 - Jun 13 by Kilkennyjack

Curt's development as a young player had nothing to do with the Swans he was coached by Alby Nichols at Treochy boys club until he was 18 and only joined the Swans after he finished his A levels when he was 18/19.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024