Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut 21:16 - Sep 7 with 4348 viewsTummer_from_Texas

They didn't have a name but informally went by The Yardbirds or The New Yardbirds, since they were performing gigs the "real" Yardbirds had already booked.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-make-their-live-debut-september-7-19

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 21:47 - Sep 7 with 3488 viewszedlep

And the world was immediately a better place. The sky was more blue, the trees were more green and the sound of birdsong filled the air. The Universe reverberates still to the sound that can only be described as “the hammer of the Gods”.

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 21:50 - Sep 7 with 3483 viewszedlep

FYI Spell check has changed ‘absolutely’ to ‘arguably’!!! Weird that!

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 22:55 - Sep 7 with 3439 viewsTummer_from_Texas

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 21:50 - Sep 7 by zedlep

FYI Spell check has changed ‘absolutely’ to ‘arguably’!!! Weird that!

Others might argue Black Sabbath, but I agree.

Interesting list that VH1 came up with 18 years ago that indeed had LZ #1. This was voted on by the artists themselves. My favorite Canadians came in at #28; Darran's boys were #25. Most of this list looks about right IMO.

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/2000/vh1hardrock.htm

Noteworthy that the Rolling Stones - one of the biggest bands of all time - only came in at 67. I guess that's because they are on the border of what is classified as "hard rock" at all.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 22:58]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:01 - Sep 7 with 3420 viewsDarran

I’m seeing Plant next month for the fifth time. 🤘🏻

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:23 - Sep 7 with 3406 viewszedlep

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:01 - Sep 7 by Darran

Where are you seeing Percy play Darran?

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:28 - Sep 7 with 3400 viewszedlep

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 22:55 - Sep 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

Others might argue Black Sabbath, but I agree.

Interesting list that VH1 came up with 18 years ago that indeed had LZ #1. This was voted on by the artists themselves. My favorite Canadians came in at #28; Darran's boys were #25. Most of this list looks about right IMO.

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/2000/vh1hardrock.htm

Noteworthy that the Rolling Stones - one of the biggest bands of all time - only came in at 67. I guess that's because they are on the border of what is classified as "hard rock" at all.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 22:58]

Personally I would pick maybe 10 of the first 50 and far more from the second 50! I mean, Nirvana! Sex Pistols!! Kiss!!!!! Don Estelle and Windsor Davies would be a better shout.

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:41 - Sep 7 with 3387 viewsItchySphincter

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:28 - Sep 7 by zedlep

Personally I would pick maybe 10 of the first 50 and far more from the second 50! I mean, Nirvana! Sex Pistols!! Kiss!!!!! Don Estelle and Windsor Davies would be a better shout.

I’d struggle to pick ten from the 100!

Queen, Motley Crue, Ratt!!!! FFS!

Anyone would think ECB made the list.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 06:20 - Sep 8 with 3310 viewssquarebear

“Led Zepplin aren’t heavy rock. They’re a blues band” is a statement I’ve heard from a variety of long-haired acquaintances over the years.
Login to get fewer ads

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 07:24 - Sep 8 with 3289 viewsScottishEddie

Yes self admitted Clapton was a racist at the time

Poll: Stupidest Posterer of the Year

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:00 - Sep 8 with 3257 viewsLoyal

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 07:24 - Sep 8 by ScottishEddie

What's a racist?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:04 - Sep 8 with 3248 viewsWarwickHunt

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 07:24 - Sep 8 by ScottishEddie

Clapton admitted he was Clapton?
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:33 - Sep 8 with 3178 viewsdickythorpe

Foo Fighters blew me away when I saw them live. Would love to have seen many of these live.
Red Hot Chili Peppers live were exceptional as well.
I have seen Queen videos of many live concerts they did and the energy from Mercury is to me unequalled.
Would love to have seen Led Zeppelin live in their pomp.
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:36 - Sep 8 with 3172 viewsJoe_bradshaw

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 06:20 - Sep 8 by squarebear

“Led Zepplin aren’t heavy rock. They’re a blues band” is a statement I’ve heard from a variety of long-haired acquaintances over the years.

You could make an argument for that certainly.

I note that Yes appears in the list along with many others. Hard rock? I don’t think so.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 14:03 - Sep 8 with 3148 viewsdickythorpe

Yes started off like Genesis as a prog rock band.
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 19:23 - Sep 8 with 3063 viewsItchySphincter

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:36 - Sep 8 by Joe_bradshaw

You could make an argument for that certainly.

I note that Yes appears in the list along with many others. Hard rock? I don’t think so.

Led Zep is a proto-heavy metal/hard rock band, as were Cream. Blues based but definitely not a blues band. Pretentious boIIocks.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 21:48 - Sep 8 with 3017 viewsGowerjack

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:01 - Sep 7 by Darran

Mrs G and I will see you there Darran
[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 21:51]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 22:07 - Sep 8 with 3008 viewsDarran

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 21:48 - Sep 8 by Gowerjack

Mrs G and I will see you there Darran
[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 21:51]

I shall look forward to that with much glee.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:39 - Sep 9 with 2908 viewszedlep

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 19:23 - Sep 8 by ItchySphincter

Led Zep is a proto-heavy metal/hard rock band, as were Cream. Blues based but definitely not a blues band. Pretentious boIIocks.

How very dare you!

That sort of attitude will not get you invited to Christmas dinner young man/lady/gender neutral thingy (delete as appropriate).

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:53 - Sep 9 with 2899 viewsDarran

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:39 - Sep 9 by zedlep

How very dare you!

That sort of attitude will not get you invited to Christmas dinner young man/lady/gender neutral thingy (delete as appropriate).

Don’t forget Planet Rock at 7pm.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:16 - Sep 9 with 2889 viewsbermudajack

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 09:39 - Sep 9 by zedlep

How very dare you!

Odd list for me... I suppose it’s all about popular votes by the masses but...

No Saxon
No Krocus
No Gary Moore
No MSG
No Ian Gillan Band
No Girlschool
No Linkin Park

The lowly positions of
Iron Maiden
Green day
Foo fighters
Rainbow
Marilyn Manson

The inclusion of
Meat loaf
Foreigner
Boston
Sex pistols

Doesn’t represent my top 100 in that order... 🤨

Poll: Priority for new manager?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:42 - Sep 9 with 2874 viewsWarwickHunt

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:16 - Sep 9 by bermudajack

Odd list for me... I suppose it’s all about popular votes by the masses but...

No Saxon
No Krocus
No Gary Moore
No MSG
No Ian Gillan Band
No Girlschool
No Linkin Park

The lowly positions of
Iron Maiden
Green day
Foo fighters
Rainbow
Marilyn Manson

The inclusion of
Meat loaf
Foreigner
Boston
Sex pistols

Doesn’t represent my top 100 in that order... 🤨

The absence of monosodium glutomate is a good thing, Shirley?
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 11:49 - Sep 9 with 2840 viewssherpajacob

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:42 - Sep 9 by WarwickHunt

The absence of monosodium glutomate is a good thing, Shirley?

Doctor, doctor, please?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 12:04 - Sep 9 with 2824 viewssherpajacob

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:33 - Sep 8 by dickythorpe

Foo Fighters blew me away when I saw them live. Would love to have seen many of these live.
Red Hot Chili Peppers live were exceptional as well.
I have seen Queen videos of many live concerts they did and the energy from Mercury is to me unequalled.
Would love to have seen Led Zeppelin live in their pomp.

More of a purple, and Sabbath man for hard rock and queen for everything myself. Although I won't argue with those who champion Led zep

Great quote from Bruce Dickinson I saw on some tellybox programme, I think it was some tribute to made in japan or machine head"

Something along the lines of,

"I was too young to see zepplin and purple live at their peak in the 70s, , so the only thing I can go on is their respective live albums and recordings, and purple kicked Zepplins pants"

Zepplin and Sabbath both played live aid, but it's not them people talk about as stealing the whole show.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 12:31 - Sep 9 with 2803 viewsJoe_bradshaw

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 12:04 - Sep 9 by sherpajacob

More of a purple, and Sabbath man for hard rock and queen for everything myself. Although I won't argue with those who champion Led zep

Great quote from Bruce Dickinson I saw on some tellybox programme, I think it was some tribute to made in japan or machine head"

Something along the lines of,

"I was too young to see zepplin and purple live at their peak in the 70s, , so the only thing I can go on is their respective live albums and recordings, and purple kicked Zepplins pants"

Zepplin and Sabbath both played live aid, but it's not them people talk about as stealing the whole show.

I saw all three in the 70s and I would put LZ first, DP second and BS third. Of course, other opinions are available and equally valid.

I saw Zeppelin at Earls Court in May 1975 which was considered by most rock historians to be the absolute peak of their powers. I have been to countless gigs over almost 50 years and it's hard to think of a better one.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:39 - Sep 9 with 2781 viewszedlep

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 12:31 - Sep 9 by Joe_bradshaw

I saw all three in the 70s and I would put LZ first, DP second and BS third. Of course, other opinions are available and equally valid.

I saw Zeppelin at Earls Court in May 1975 which was considered by most rock historians to be the absolute peak of their powers. I have been to countless gigs over almost 50 years and it's hard to think of a better one.

Totally envious re the Earls Court gig. That was the Physical Express tour wasn’t it? I had the poster to that tour on my wall in college. Closest I got was to see Page and Plant supported by the Black Crows in Sheffield in the 90s. Best concert for me though (may my tongue turn black for admitting it) was Queen live in Vienna during their A Kind of Magic tour. Freddie at his wonderful best.

Zedzdead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024