Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Passionate discontent 09:03 - Dec 2 with 2839 viewsbermudajack

On the bus on the way home, there was some very interesting debates going on about our team, the manager, specific players/ formations as you would expect.

As debates go it became good listening and the general feeling towards our season along with recent results and performances are negative and frustrating with no positives, this is the first time I’ve heard the focus move away from the yanks and HJ & previous owners, with Potter and the players getting plenty of stick. The main points of discontent were:

Team selection
Team formation
Motivation of players
Substitutions
Lack of goal threat
Clueless defending
Potter - a yes man?
Investment in squad
Continuation of firesale in January
Bony? Finnished?
Downturn in performances of Players who have signed new contracts recently
Potters signings
Worrying home form

It seems incredible to me that Potter should be under such pressure given the circumstances he has inherited, however thoughts were his scatter gun approach to team selection and constant in game formation changes ilk of someone without a solid plan/structure in place and recent performances question his ability to motivate the players. Do we have the experience at hand to adjust constantly like this? Can we not have a settled team anymore? With a system of play? Players are looking confused.

The general feeling was picking Fer as captain has been a massive clusterfeck - his laid back, unfit, strolling around has effected the work rate of the team, give the armband to someone who can actually start a game, questions of wether Bony needs game time in the u23 setup before being thrust into the 1st team? Is Potter under pressure from above to play him unfit? Where is Yan Danda? CBR? Obvious Goal threats not being used...

A strong debate questioned - why does Celina (who is obviously scared of his own shadow) get continually picked? He has no physical presence or battling qualities needed for this league. Also was felt that Declan John has played a few games now and has been shocking...

The Trust took a bit of a bashing too with some stating they thought that previous personal agendas of previous board members & cosy relationships during the tackover, allowed HJ & Co to complete their sell off with ease, no honest, open communication at that time to the fans has upset some irrevocably who genuinely dismiss the Trust as a fans voice at board level.

General feelings were the short term future is looking bleak for sure...
Can Potter reverse this? Or can anybody shed some positive light our way?

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Passionate discontent on 09:38 - Dec 2 with 2735 viewsicecoldjack

Plenty of great talking points there.

At the moment I'm still hoping this is a glitch and nothing else, my prediction pre season was to happy if we stayed up so nothing has changed there really.

Potter has a hard job but I can't help but think he's making it harder for himself with different selections in every game.

The board are obviously restricting him too, why no Dyer,Narsingh or Routs. Everyone of those is better than asoro,McKay and Roberts.

Mentioned on a few threads about Mulder being dropped when he was bang in form and his confidence was high, his eventual return to the team meant an urge to try and prove himself.over again with not great results. This wasn't broken to begin with so why did potter feel the need to drop him and leave us with 2 unsure keepers instead of 1 ?

Overall I think we have found our natural level, the hard 2ork needed to progress won't be easy unless, like I said at the start of the season, potter gets the help he needs.

No team has really blown us away and with a few good additions we can do well, it does however raise yet another question over recruitment, im not that impressed by our summer signings, asoro,danda,McKay and John have not improved us and what was the reason for signing more wide players when we have so many already at the club ?

All a bit meh at the moment but I'm still with potter, who is at least trying to return us to a form of football the fans can enjoy watching, it will be a harder road than many suspected though.
Passionate discontent on 10:20 - Dec 2 with 2644 viewsA_Fans_Dad

For me this Post Heading says it all, all those slagging off anyone critisizing Potter should read this.
These comments come from the most Passionate Fans of all, those prepared to travel to every game under all sorts of conditions.
Yet they express the same concerns as those questioning Potter's decision making.
By now most people know his history and how he played his team to great effect in Sweden.
But he got there over many years of training, here he appears to be trying to get our players to play the same way after just a few months and it also appears to be sowing confusion leading to reducing confidence.
Perhaps he should shelve his technique during actual games until he has got the players doing this instinctually on the practice field, if they even can.
There has also been some questions asked about "training" as some of the players do not seem to be very fit.

A lot of fans say he has done wonders with the Youngsters, but I do not think so, he inherited them already playing that way from the under 23s.
They also give him credit for playing them, but in fact he had very little choice with the squad he was lumbered with by Jenkins & the Yanks.
Passionate discontent on 11:29 - Dec 2 with 2521 viewsjasper_T

"why does Celina (who is obviously scared of his own shadow) get continually picked? He has no physical presence or battling qualities needed for this league"

If he was creating chances and carrying the ball forward as he did earlier in the season no one would/should be complaining. You don't need to be a battler in this league to have success, that's some proper old school thinking.
Passionate discontent on 11:43 - Dec 2 with 2492 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Passionate discontent on 11:29 - Dec 2 by jasper_T

"why does Celina (who is obviously scared of his own shadow) get continually picked? He has no physical presence or battling qualities needed for this league"

If he was creating chances and carrying the ball forward as he did earlier in the season no one would/should be complaining. You don't need to be a battler in this league to have success, that's some proper old school thinking.

Any idea why he isn't "creating chances and carrying the ball forward as he did earlier in the season"?
Passionate discontent on 11:46 - Dec 2 with 2485 viewsveng9

Celina gets picked because for a while before the international break he played a part in most of our goals. The pass before the pass.

Scores against Ipswich

Scored against Blackburn

Against Reading he plays Dan James in 1v1 against Yiadom before he wins the penalty and then plays James in again for the assist to McBurnie

Against Rotherham he turns his man and then lobs the ball over the defender to play James in for the assist to McBurnie

Even against West Brom where he was nowhere near his best he put James through on goal and it should've been an assist.

In most of the first few games of the season he was working hard as well. Millwall probably the best example where he worked hard all game and played a nice pass to put Montero in.

He's younger than McBurnie and only a year older than Rodon. Personally he's been one of our best and most exciting players for most of the season and I wouldn't drop him after games where a lot of the team has been playing below their best.

I'm not completely sure why he's been off recently but one thing could be because our right side is almost non existent. He regularly plays James in down the left but on the right it's just Roberts.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2018 11:48]
Passionate discontent on 12:08 - Dec 2 with 2418 viewssainthelens

Passionate discontent on 10:20 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

For me this Post Heading says it all, all those slagging off anyone critisizing Potter should read this.
These comments come from the most Passionate Fans of all, those prepared to travel to every game under all sorts of conditions.
Yet they express the same concerns as those questioning Potter's decision making.
By now most people know his history and how he played his team to great effect in Sweden.
But he got there over many years of training, here he appears to be trying to get our players to play the same way after just a few months and it also appears to be sowing confusion leading to reducing confidence.
Perhaps he should shelve his technique during actual games until he has got the players doing this instinctually on the practice field, if they even can.
There has also been some questions asked about "training" as some of the players do not seem to be very fit.

A lot of fans say he has done wonders with the Youngsters, but I do not think so, he inherited them already playing that way from the under 23s.
They also give him credit for playing them, but in fact he had very little choice with the squad he was lumbered with by Jenkins & the Yanks.

Your last couple of lines says it all. HJ and the yanks continue to have their paws all over this and that SHOULD NOT be forgotten. Huw, the slimy cvnt will secretly be massively releived it's been deflected from him.
Passionate discontent on 12:13 - Dec 2 with 2401 viewsjackrmee

Passionate discontent on 10:20 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

So maybe he'll get the same effect after many years here. How do you know he didn't start off in Sweden with these same tactics and finally it worked? How do you know he did things differently there.
If he did in fact do things differently, don't you think it must be for a reason? He had magnificent success there. If he is intentionally changing the way he works here, from what he knows before, then he must be doing it because he knows what will work better.

It would take an imbecile to try something you don't think will work, when you know what will work. He is, by no means, an imbecile.

If he can get a bunch of part timers understanding his philosophy and tactics, yet can't get a squad of so called professionals, who think they should be in the premier league, to understand what he's trying to teach them, then it's the players who should be getting stick for not being as talented as their wages suggest.

The ones that can't hack it, get rid...get some players with brains that can.
And just to clarify, I believe most the players we have CAN do it and CAN be the lads who help us become great again. You lot are the ones who are basically calling them mugs, who haven't got the brains to learn something that a bunch of Swedish 4th Tier players could put into practice.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Passionate discontent on 12:22 - Dec 2 with 2368 viewsmonmouth

I’m unhappy with 3 defeats but still happy with our general direction, and I don’t mean the table. It’s easy to just take the goldfish approach of the most recent week and extrapolate it.

I think we will have a strong second half to the season and end 8th or so. Many of those comments on the bus are normal fans moans from wanting to win every game and overheated expectations after over a decade of success. Understandable, and I still have big problems with past and present owners and Trust on how we got here. Why is the Trust still pissing about by the way? Get the f*ckers in court and make them publicly accountable for their actions.

We need to pull our socks up in pretty short order though, starting next Saturday..

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Passionate discontent on 14:37 - Dec 2 with 2228 viewsbermudajack

Some eye raising comments about the lack of action taken by the Trust and the possible reasons as to why?

Passionate discontent on 15:02 - Dec 2 with 2184 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Passionate discontent on 12:13 - Dec 2 by jackrmee

So maybe he'll get the same effect after many years here. How do you know he didn't start off in Sweden with these same tactics and finally it worked? How do you know he did things differently there.
If he did in fact do things differently, don't you think it must be for a reason? He had magnificent success there. If he is intentionally changing the way he works here, from what he knows before, then he must be doing it because he knows what will work better.

It would take an imbecile to try something you don't think will work, when you know what will work. He is, by no means, an imbecile.

If he can get a bunch of part timers understanding his philosophy and tactics, yet can't get a squad of so called professionals, who think they should be in the premier league, to understand what he's trying to teach them, then it's the players who should be getting stick for not being as talented as their wages suggest.

The ones that can't hack it, get rid...get some players with brains that can.
And just to clarify, I believe most the players we have CAN do it and CAN be the lads who help us become great again. You lot are the ones who are basically calling them mugs, who haven't got the brains to learn something that a bunch of Swedish 4th Tier players could put into practice.

4th Tier players playing against 4th Tier players, doesn't necessarily translate in to the Championship.
What other top managers are doing the same?
It does not take "Total Football" to play the "Swansea Way".
But I don't mind disagreeing with you, I just hope for the Club's sake that it actually works.
Passionate discontent on 15:50 - Dec 2 with 2112 viewsCatullus

Fer shouldn't be captain, I agree with that now. If we want a Captain with the passion and fight for others to follow then give it to McBurnie!
Assuming Potter has the level of say that T2C has claimed then maybe he nees to front up to HJ and the owners and say come the next window I need at least 2 new signings, maybe 3 depending on who leaves. If Narsingh, Dyer and Routs leave we can afford 3 new players on 20k a week easily. Bony is the big thing, if someone takes him off us that's a massive saving by itself.
All this tinkering, team changes, tactical changes, I'm not a big fan of it generally. You can't complain when it's working but it's obviously a source of complaints when it's not. I'm not a fan of rotation, I prefer a settled team.
Us fans will have lots of different opinions, we will be right and wrong at various times but right now Potter is putting himself under pressure. He took the blame for Saturday, he said it was his fault and he couldn't ask the players for any more. Ultimately he will carry the can which, in his case (and considering recent events) isn't entirely fair

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Passionate discontent on 15:52 - Dec 2 with 2106 viewsjackrmee

Passionate discontent on 15:02 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

4th Tier players playing against 4th Tier players, doesn't necessarily translate in to the Championship.
What other top managers are doing the same?
It does not take "Total Football" to play the "Swansea Way".
But I don't mind disagreeing with you, I just hope for the Club's sake that it actually works.

4th tier players who were eventually playing in the top league and beating Arsenal in the Europa league

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Passionate discontent on 16:10 - Dec 2 with 2073 viewsbermudajack

Excellent post 👍

Passionate discontent on 16:57 - Dec 2 with 1976 viewsPhil_S

Passionate discontent on 14:37 - Dec 2 by bermudajack

Some eye raising comments about the lack of action taken by the Trust and the possible reasons as to why?

Any desire to elaborate as i suspect it’ll have no truth in it the stories don’t normally ?
Passionate discontent on 17:30 - Dec 2 with 1921 viewsAl_Bundy

Our current declining position is down to one man who should have fceked off 3 seasons ago. Sure he'll be bleating the same old crap while he's still here as we fight to stay in this division. As for Potter, i think he has something but he'll be screwed over next month.
Passionate discontent on 18:25 - Dec 2 with 1828 viewsbermudajack

Definitely not worth repeating details on here Phil, absolutely no substance to the theories, just wild passionate imaginations seeking answers to questions no one will/can answer.

as an overview, let’s just say there was an immense disbelief that the Trust were not in the loop from the very start about the proposed takeover, hence the reluctance to take any legal action...

Like I said, we’ve heard it all before, no substance, just guesswork (2+2=5) these stories always surface after a poor run of form, distracts us from the real issues at hand, we’ll be seeing UFO’s if we lose again on Saturday. 😂

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024