Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ban on Heading 09:29 - Jan 16 with 2174 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51129653

Looks like the Scottish FA are not far away from implementing major restrictions on heading the ball at youth level. Thoughts?

Think they'll be the first of more than a few. Might even go Global if the evidence of long term damage continues to stack up. Would fundamentally change the game if it does.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ban on Heading on 09:34 - Jan 16 with 2155 viewsBanosswan

Great idea imo.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ban on Heading on 10:00 - Jan 16 with 2123 viewsMrSwerve

Why not just wear protective headgear akin to a scrum cap? I know it probably wouldn't negate the risk but it would certainly minimise it.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Ban on Heading on 10:38 - Jan 16 with 2067 viewsLeonWasGod

Good idea in theory. Although one thing that I noticed in the States where heading is banned is that kids weren't taught how to safely. So on the odd occasions when they forgot you'd see some horrible looking headers. And that's what they're lining up here - a ban in training, but not in matches by the looks of it.

They've got this the wrong way round imo. In match situations, training or real, there should be a ban. But training drills should be allowed so that they can develop the skills needed when heading is introduced in matches age 13 up.
Ban on Heading on 13:14 - Jan 16 with 1943 viewsploppy

Ban on Heading on 10:38 - Jan 16 by LeonWasGod

Good idea in theory. Although one thing that I noticed in the States where heading is banned is that kids weren't taught how to safely. So on the odd occasions when they forgot you'd see some horrible looking headers. And that's what they're lining up here - a ban in training, but not in matches by the looks of it.

They've got this the wrong way round imo. In match situations, training or real, there should be a ban. But training drills should be allowed so that they can develop the skills needed when heading is introduced in matches age 13 up.

My understanding is that it's the repetitive heading in training that's the problem i.e. when someone like Crouch/Shearer/Hartson/Astle might head the ball dozens of times in one session. And doing many sessions per week. You don't see that level of repetitive heading in a match situation (those matches involving Cardiff excepted, obviously).
Ban on Heading on 13:14 - Jan 16 with 1943 viewsjasper_T

Ban on Heading on 10:00 - Jan 16 by MrSwerve

Why not just wear protective headgear akin to a scrum cap? I know it probably wouldn't negate the risk but it would certainly minimise it.

Helmets don't do anything to prevent issues caused by repetitive impacts. It's like boxing, it was "safer" in terms of potential brain injury when they didn't use gloves and couldn't hit each other in the head as often or as hard. A scrumcap might protect your ears and hair and from catching a high boot, but the full force of the ball in the air will still be meeting your head over and over.

Anything that forces Scots to keep the ball on the ground must be good for their struggling national game.
Ban on Heading on 13:20 - Jan 16 with 1928 viewsswancity

This could have disastrous and catastrophic consequences for the game. Aerial challenges, battles and duels are a big part of the game ( especially if you follow teams like Cardiff Burnley Sheffield Utd 😂) and without heading of the ball it’s unlikely that the sport will be as popular. Bit like taking tackling out of rugby... it’s simply not going to work.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Ban on Heading on 13:39 - Jan 16 with 1902 viewsBryanSwan

Ban on Heading on 13:20 - Jan 16 by swancity

This could have disastrous and catastrophic consequences for the game. Aerial challenges, battles and duels are a big part of the game ( especially if you follow teams like Cardiff Burnley Sheffield Utd 😂) and without heading of the ball it’s unlikely that the sport will be as popular. Bit like taking tackling out of rugby... it’s simply not going to work.

Sheffield United actually play some decent football.

Not being to well versed on this topic, does the study relate to modern footballs, which are much lighter and softer than even those of the early 2000's?

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Ban on Heading on 13:42 - Jan 16 with 1894 viewsSwanjaxs

Heading the ball will never be banned from football.

Compulsory wearing of head protection will be introduced if need be, but again I cant see that happening.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

Ban on Heading on 14:21 - Jan 16 with 1861 viewsVincent_Vega

Ban on Heading on 13:39 - Jan 16 by BryanSwan

Sheffield United actually play some decent football.

Not being to well versed on this topic, does the study relate to modern footballs, which are much lighter and softer than even those of the early 2000's?

You've never headed a real ball unless you've headed an Adidas Tango Espagna

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Ban on Heading on 15:15 - Jan 16 with 1818 viewsswanforthemoney

Maybe they could trial it.
They could do it in , say, 5 a side football and see if it could possibly work.

I stand in the North Stand

Ban on Heading on 15:18 - Jan 16 with 1811 viewsmonmouth

The end of Cardiff City is nigh.

Long overdue since Astle. Women should not be heading the ball now in my view (because it's a chance to take a fresh view in a different growing branch of the sport, not because they are women, or 'more delicate)

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ban on Heading on 15:19 - Jan 16 with 1806 viewsswanforthemoney

Ban on Heading on 13:42 - Jan 16 by Swanjaxs

Heading the ball will never be banned from football.

Compulsory wearing of head protection will be introduced if need be, but again I cant see that happening.

When you say wearing head protection, do you mean something like this ?

I stand in the North Stand

Ban on Heading on 15:21 - Jan 16 with 1799 viewsmonmouth

F*ck the game. It's the catastrophic impact on individuals that matters more. Football and more importantly rugby needs to grow up and stop potentially damaging players because we've always damaged players.

Also it would stop us passing back to Woodman to launch it, which makes it worth it alone.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ban on Heading on 15:29 - Jan 16 with 1784 viewsSwanjaxs

Ban on Heading on 15:19 - Jan 16 by swanforthemoney

When you say wearing head protection, do you mean something like this ?

Haha anybody else done this 😂

Get both hands inside condom (preferably unused)

Warm condom up by vigorous rubbing of hands together

Place said condom over head and place just under nose

Hold breath but blow through nose until desired effect...

Then prepare to get thrown out of Central Park, Bonkers, Shades ect by heavy handed door staff 🙈

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Ban on Heading on 18:00 - Jan 16 with 1726 viewsDr_Winston

Some interesting points raised.

I'm not sure I'd like to see heading eliminated altogether, but perhaps restricted to inside the penalty area when attacking/defending free kicks and corners.

That would significantly reduce the amount of heading that goes on in games (particularly heading a ball that's dropped from 60 feet at pace from a keeper's kick), and force players to use their feet more. That should lead to a greater emphasis on developing technical skills from youth level upwards.

I can see the move towards restrictions growing no matter what supporters think though. If the medical evidence against it continues to grow it'll be stopped, and probably rightly.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ban on Heading on 18:11 - Jan 16 with 1718 viewsCatullus

Medically speaking, I was reading this recently, the brain is still developing until around 25 years old. How will this ban help?

How many players actually develop dementia because of heading? Do we need more information before jumping in?
Astle had dementia yes but look at the ball he was heading. If most of todays players were given a ball from Astle's heyday they couldn't get it far enough off the floor to head it.

There is a study taking place an ex Welsh player, Iwan Roberts I think. They are looking at his brains condition and watching for any signs of dementia,

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/iwan-roberts-backs-uea-dementia-research-pro

Ultimately though, isn't life a risk? Are we going to become so risk averse we stop doing everything that may cause illness? We might as well all sit at home and wait to die, or is that banned because the home is where most accidents happen.

My health isn't great, I am riddled with arthritis which may well have been accelerated because I played football until I was 40, as well as having a physically demanding job, outdoors in all weather. I wouldn't change a thing.
If we ban aspects of sport because of the potential longer term risks, shouldn't we ban aspects of work that carry risks too. So no more driving, no more night shifts, no more police or ambulance staff....ok thats going to the extreme but I'll still ask, where do we stop? Health and safety is one thing, this is...well just what is this?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ban on Heading on 18:32 - Jan 16 with 1693 viewsjasper_T

Ban on Heading on 18:11 - Jan 16 by Catullus

Medically speaking, I was reading this recently, the brain is still developing until around 25 years old. How will this ban help?

How many players actually develop dementia because of heading? Do we need more information before jumping in?
Astle had dementia yes but look at the ball he was heading. If most of todays players were given a ball from Astle's heyday they couldn't get it far enough off the floor to head it.

There is a study taking place an ex Welsh player, Iwan Roberts I think. They are looking at his brains condition and watching for any signs of dementia,

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/iwan-roberts-backs-uea-dementia-research-pro

Ultimately though, isn't life a risk? Are we going to become so risk averse we stop doing everything that may cause illness? We might as well all sit at home and wait to die, or is that banned because the home is where most accidents happen.

My health isn't great, I am riddled with arthritis which may well have been accelerated because I played football until I was 40, as well as having a physically demanding job, outdoors in all weather. I wouldn't change a thing.
If we ban aspects of sport because of the potential longer term risks, shouldn't we ban aspects of work that carry risks too. So no more driving, no more night shifts, no more police or ambulance staff....ok thats going to the extreme but I'll still ask, where do we stop? Health and safety is one thing, this is...well just what is this?

We should absolutely ban the things you're talking about for kids too young to make their own informed decisions regarding the risk.
Ban on Heading on 19:25 - Jan 16 with 1642 viewsswancity

Heading allowed only inside the penalty area ?

Are you being serious Jobs 😂😂

Ban on Heading on 19:32 - Jan 16 with 1637 viewsswancity

Enjoyed reading that. And yes agreed lots more research needed before any decisions are made.

But yes whilst they’re at it ban rugby (tackling), horse racing, boxing, cricket, ski ing and any other sport that’s resulted in injury and death. It’s a crazy old world.

Ban on Heading on 19:47 - Jan 16 with 1615 viewslonglostjack

Top post Cautulus.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Ban on Heading on 20:11 - Jan 16 with 1599 viewsOldjack

Anyone who sees a football either wants to kick it or nut it ……...this ban is just being silly ,not to mention the balls they used years ago weighed a ton when wet

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024