Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for Everton? 14:59 - Jan 20 with 2536 viewsPegojack

Since the board has become a bit stale, with the same old posts being chewed over and over, I'm going to turn my attention to next Sunday.

The cautious amongst you will shoot me down for this, but I think if we go defensive like we did on Monday with the 'diamond', we will get picked off and end up losing about 2 or 3 nil.

I'd like to see us go out and attack them. It's a game most will give us no chance of getting a result in, so let's surprise a few people. We can always use subs to tighten things up if we get past the hour mark and we're still in the game:

Fab
Naughton, Ash, FF, Taylor
Leon, Siggy, Cork
Barrow, Ayew, Montero

Subs: Nordfelt, Rangel, Amat, Ki, Routs, Gomis, Emnes
Team for Everton? on 15:11 - Jan 20 with 2028 viewsAustinIsOurHero

As much as I'd be reluctant to change anything from the Watford game, we were painfully toothless up front. Ayew as a false nine in a Spain-like formation was completely ineffective.
Either stick Gomis upfront or if hell freezes over - our new striker.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Team for Everton? on 15:14 - Jan 20 with 2007 viewsStarsky

Agreed. If we try and win each game and fail 2 out of 3 times... That's the same points as 3 hard fought draws.
Never saw the benefit of aiming for a point in any game

It's just the internet, init.

Team for Everton? on 15:15 - Jan 20 with 2001 viewsyescomeon

Fabianski
Amat, Williams, Fernadez
Rangel, Britton, Taylor
Sigurdsson, Cork
Ayew
Gomis

Really shake things up.

Upthecity!

Team for Everton? on 15:16 - Jan 20 with 1997 viewsLoyal

This 'board' has gone stale because the 'Swansea board' have gone stale !

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Team for Everton? on 15:16 - Jan 20 with 1997 viewsshandyjack

same as Monday but bring in Gomis for Wayne

Poll: Expectation for the season

Team for Everton? on 15:18 - Jan 20 with 1989 viewsUxbridge

The Watford formation won't work too badly away from home, a la Ciddeh away. It's not going to break defensive teams down though, which was Monday's problem.

Assuming we don't bring anyone in, I'd be inclined to go with the same XI. I prefer Barrow off the bench. Maybe Jeff for Routledge, if his head is right, it doesn't seem to be.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Team for Everton? on 15:24 - Jan 20 with 1956 viewsTheKirkyLife

Team for Everton? on 15:15 - Jan 20 by yescomeon

Fabianski
Amat, Williams, Fernadez
Rangel, Britton, Taylor
Sigurdsson, Cork
Ayew
Gomis

Really shake things up.

I think this will be the team in all honesty. Franky with an instant impact.
Team for Everton? on 15:44 - Jan 20 with 1883 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Fabianski
Amat, Williams, Fernadez
Rangel, Britton, Taylor
Sigurdsson, Cork
Ayew
Gomis

Really shake things up.

I expected something similar for the Watford game.
Seems to suit the players we have now that JJS has gone & none of our wingers seem to be able to play football

Login to get fewer ads

Team for Everton? on 15:52 - Jan 20 with 1856 viewsPegojack

Fabianski
Amat, Williams, Fernadez
Rangel, Britton, Taylor
Sigurdsson, Cork
Ayew
Gomis

Really shake things up.

That's an interesting one.

What we're really saying there is that we expect our full backs to play as wing backs and bomb down the wing when they get the chance. Could work. Taylor certainly did his share of 'bombing' on Monday, and Naughton tried hard.

The difference from Monday night is that you're sacrificing a midfielder (Ki) for a centre back (Amat), to really give the wing backs licence to go forward, although obviously sacrificing a certain amount of midfield control. Would we get swamped in midfield and give the likes of Berkeley too much room to operate?
Team for Everton? on 16:00 - Jan 20 with 1826 viewspencoedjack

Id go attacking .... Everton cant defend for a toffee (excuse the pun)

Attack attack attack
Team for Everton? on 16:15 - Jan 20 with 1783 viewskarnataka

Team for Everton? on 15:44 - Jan 20 by AustinIsOurHero

I expected something similar for the Watford game.
Seems to suit the players we have now that JJS has gone & none of our wingers seem to be able to play football

A bit harsh. I thought Routs had a great game on Monday and Barrow has been pretty effective of late.
Team for Everton? on 16:19 - Jan 20 with 1766 viewsPegojack

Team for Everton? on 16:15 - Jan 20 by karnataka

A bit harsh. I thought Routs had a great game on Monday and Barrow has been pretty effective of late.

Would you agree Routs seems to have lost a yard of pace, though, Dave? A couple of years ago he could go past full backs for fun on the outside and put in a (usually useless) cross, but I haven't really seen him do that this season.

EDIT - he did do one on Monday night, now I think about it!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 16:30]
Team for Everton? on 16:20 - Jan 20 with 1754 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Most posters have been saying that the Swans lack pace and the line ups proposed later in this thread have totally removed any pace that we do have.

The OP's line up includes all the pace that we have, personally I prefer that option.
Team for Everton? on 16:30 - Jan 20 with 1721 viewskarnataka

Team for Everton? on 16:19 - Jan 20 by Pegojack

Would you agree Routs seems to have lost a yard of pace, though, Dave? A couple of years ago he could go past full backs for fun on the outside and put in a (usually useless) cross, but I haven't really seen him do that this season.

EDIT - he did do one on Monday night, now I think about it!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 16:30]

You're probably right although it may just be a confidence thing. Several times in the last few weeks I've seen Routs sprint back to track an opponent when we've lost the ball in attack and he certainly didn't appear to have lost a yard then. Maybe it's just that explosive first 2-3 yards. Had Dyer lost a yard or just lost the confidence because he seemed to have lost the knack of getting past a defender too? Anyway, the post I was replying to said that our wingers didn't seem to be able to play football which I didn't think was true and certainly wasn't fair criticism.
Team for Everton? on 16:36 - Jan 20 with 1698 viewsGriffting

Literally no idea what FG will go with.. who he rates, who he doesn't, style of play, how we'll press..
Scary, but exciting!
Team for Everton? on 16:39 - Jan 20 with 1685 viewsLoyal

Team for Everton? on 16:20 - Jan 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Most posters have been saying that the Swans lack pace and the line ups proposed later in this thread have totally removed any pace that we do have.

The OP's line up includes all the pace that we have, personally I prefer that option.

Well, if we lack pace then why not exploit it by lacking even more pace ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Team for Everton? on 16:44 - Jan 20 with 1664 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Maybe. Montero & Barrow have bags of pace, but no final product. Like watching Jason Price again.

Team for Everton? on 16:52 - Jan 20 with 1637 viewsyescomeon

Team for Everton? on 15:52 - Jan 20 by Pegojack

That's an interesting one.

What we're really saying there is that we expect our full backs to play as wing backs and bomb down the wing when they get the chance. Could work. Taylor certainly did his share of 'bombing' on Monday, and Naughton tried hard.

The difference from Monday night is that you're sacrificing a midfielder (Ki) for a centre back (Amat), to really give the wing backs licence to go forward, although obviously sacrificing a certain amount of midfield control. Would we get swamped in midfield and give the likes of Berkeley too much room to operate?

At the moment I wouldn't say that Ki is that much of a sacrifice. Could swap Ki for Sigurdsson, or hypothetically deGuzman. Also you could lose the defensive mid, i.e. Britton, and play with two central midfielder, and attacking midfielder. Could argue that with 3 centre backs you don't need so much protection, you could have the defensive mid drop back to make a temporary back four whilst the two wing backs bomb on. I think the main thing holding this formation back is the fullbacks we have. The way I could see a 352 working for us is almost like the dimond but with 1 up top, 3 at the back and the wing backs to provide width.

It's all hypothetical though and in reality we will probably see similar to what we have in the last few games. I'd love to see us give it a try but it's probably too much of a risk in our current situation.

Upthecity!

Team for Everton? on 16:53 - Jan 20 with 1633 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Team for Everton? on 16:39 - Jan 20 by Loyal

Well, if we lack pace then why not exploit it by lacking even more pace ?

That is a novel idea, shall we instruct the players to walk instead of run?
Team for Everton? on 16:58 - Jan 20 with 1618 viewsyescomeon

Team for Everton? on 16:20 - Jan 20 by A_Fans_Dad

It's just a hypothetical, with a well drilled 352/361 we could create numerical advantages to compensate for the lack of pace. I doubt we will see the formation I posted but it would be interesting.

Upthecity!

Team for Everton? on 17:01 - Jan 20 with 1611 viewstrampie

Some coaches don't change a winning team unless they have to.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 17:32]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Team for Everton? on 17:31 - Jan 20 with 1558 viewsmonmouth

Team for Everton? on 15:18 - Jan 20 by Uxbridge

The Watford formation won't work too badly away from home, a la Ciddeh away. It's not going to break defensive teams down though, which was Monday's problem.

Assuming we don't bring anyone in, I'd be inclined to go with the same XI. I prefer Barrow off the bench. Maybe Jeff for Routledge, if his head is right, it doesn't seem to be.

Me too. Same team, same approach. Everton will kill us if we are open from the start.

If 0-0 or 0-1 at 65, then Barrow, Montero, Gomis when everyone is a bit jaded and go for them then.

Strange one is Jeff. If his head had gone he wouldn't even be benched. maybe a new manager will sort him out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Team for Everton? on 20:59 - Jan 20 with 1369 viewsmacthejack

I hope it's not the diamond formation. That's a remnant of the Monk era where we forgot that we were the same Swansea City that always used to go to other teams and try and beat them. Not to keep it tight and hope for a point.
Team for Everton? on 21:06 - Jan 20 with 1349 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Team for Everton? on 20:59 - Jan 20 by macthejack

I hope it's not the diamond formation. That's a remnant of the Monk era where we forgot that we were the same Swansea City that always used to go to other teams and try and beat them. Not to keep it tight and hope for a point.

Agreed. Dump the feckin jewellery

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Team for Everton? on 09:10 - Jan 21 with 1147 viewslancasterswan

The interesting one here is that only Man City have scored more goals than Everton. However, there are only six teams that have conceded more goals than them. On paper, travelling away to play them, a parked bus seems the logical formation (I'm not a great fan of it but needs must against a free scoring side), with a rapid front three aiming to hit them on the break. Gomis is neither rapid nor aware and something of a liability in defence, getting in the way, so I'd plump for our strongest defence and have Montero, Sig and Ayew as a nominal front three. At least they would stay onside.

The truth is nobody, including Bobby, knows what Francesco is going to do. I'll bet there has been an awful lot of old Italian videotape watched in Liverpool this week.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024