Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action 22:01 - Nov 20 with 28196 viewsaberhugh

The violent scenes today in the East stand are a disgrace and were instigated by a group who have in the past displayed openly racist behaviour. During the Cardiff game my daughter and I called out two of this group for shouting racist insults which were vile. Prior to this she had spoken to them about booing taking the knee to which the reply was 'It's political'
Following the game I e-mailed the club with detailed information about the racist behaviour of this group. There was also health and safety concerns regarding these people standing on seats and when we scored and falling on to supporters in front of them and injuring one guy.
I made it clear that I felt this behaviour would be repeated and some overt stewarding would be required with senior stewards present. If my suggestions had been implemented decisive intervention today when the flags were displayed would have prevented the violent scenes. I feel let down by the club and unsupported when tackling racism on the terraces. Lots of fine words before the Cardiff game have not been backed up by action to root out racists. The club must support the fans when they call out racist behaviour as well as their players. My wife tackled them today about booing taking the knee.
I exchanged a number of e-mails with people in the club and identified the problem and perpetrators. The club must now take action to stop this blatant racism and protect the health and safety of supporters. It is time they took seriously their duty of care to us and not leave it to us to police people's behaviour.
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:21 - Nov 20 with 11399 viewsonehunglow

I wish people were just as concerned about taking out the opposition.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:36 - Nov 20 with 11413 viewsmajorraglan

Could you email the Trust with the information, maybe they could also take it up with the club.
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:37 - Nov 20 with 11413 viewsowainglyndwr

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:21 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Terrible reply to the above,
This needs to be sort straight away before it gets out of hand ....
Not everyone are unionist and Nationalists ..
So where do we go from here
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:57 - Nov 20 with 11373 viewsaberhugh

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:21 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

I am always concerned about the opposition as I am a fan and their performance will have consequences for my club. I hope your concern extends to stopping players of the opposition and our club not being showered with vile rascist abuse whilst doing their job. In my long working life I never suffered racist abuse this was probably because I'm white.
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:09 - Nov 20 with 11332 viewsDr_Parnassus

Booing taking the knee isn’t racist though? It means they don’t like the gesture, that is probably down to the political links to the democratic left.

In fact, you asked them and they told you that it was political.

From what it sounds like, if it was racial, they would have no qualms in telling you so. They don’t sound the nicest of people.

You need to separate booing the knee from “vile racist abuse”, however. One is fairly acceptable as an expression, the other is not. One does not constitute the other.

If you are complaining that the club are letting people boo the knee, they are correct to. It’s a divisive gesture steeped in politics that many don’t agree with.

But I highly doubt that is what the cause of the trouble was. Am I right?
[Post edited 27 Jun 2023 20:35]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:10 - Nov 20 with 11329 viewsowainglyndwr

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 22:57 - Nov 20 by aberhugh

I am always concerned about the opposition as I am a fan and their performance will have consequences for my club. I hope your concern extends to stopping players of the opposition and our club not being showered with vile rascist abuse whilst doing their job. In my long working life I never suffered racist abuse this was probably because I'm white.

This could escalate and get out of hand,
Also causing big problems with the club and people wanting to support the club..
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:19 - Nov 20 with 11302 viewsTreforys_Jack

Don't know why the flags suddenly appeared, the guy in the blue jacket was acting like a complete tool from where I sat, probably be a few visits from plod, especially the guy who decked him from the side. The NI flag ended up on the floor in front of the hoardings.
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:24 - Nov 20 with 11284 viewsDr_Parnassus

Right so after some digging it appears this whole thing was about some idiots and some flags, not race.

Why are people so intent on causing this race divide?

When someone says something is racist these days, a good rule of thumb is to assume it is not. Then look for the facts in order to determine.

It rarely, if ever goes wrong.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 23:26]

Login to get fewer ads

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:44 - Nov 20 with 11247 viewsmagicdaps10

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:24 - Nov 20 by Dr_Parnassus

Right so after some digging it appears this whole thing was about some idiots and some flags, not race.

When someone says something is racist these days, a good rule of thumb is to assume it is not. Then look for the facts in order to determine.

I wasn't there today so can't really say much on it.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:46 - Nov 20 with 11238 viewsDr_Parnassus

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:44 - Nov 20 by magicdaps10

I wasn't there today so can't really say much on it.

Do some research, people that were are giving their accounts.

A wrangle over a politically affiliated flag. A bit of fabric.

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 00:15 - Nov 21 with 11188 views1983

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:19 - Nov 20 by Treforys_Jack

Don't know why the flags suddenly appeared, the guy in the blue jacket was acting like a complete tool from where I sat, probably be a few visits from plod, especially the guy who decked him from the side. The NI flag ended up on the floor in front of the hoardings.

They didn't suddenly appear they were there all game.
3 large flags today 2 Union Jacks with Swansea City on them and 1 Northern Ireland flag with Swansea Loyalists on the other.

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 00:22 - Nov 21 with 11175 viewsaberhugh

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:24 - Nov 20 by Dr_Parnassus

Clearly you have not read my post properly. I reported two instances of clear racist abuse to the club which occurred during the Cardiff game. This behaviour was vile and unacceptable
In the Blackpool game they displayed flags and have consistently booed taking the knee. Saying taking the knee is 'political' I will not accept when they have been involved in such disgusting racist abuse. These people are racist and should not be in our club. Call it out!!
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 00:25 - Nov 21 with 11165 viewsDr_Parnassus

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 00:22 - Nov 21 by aberhugh

Clearly you have not read my post properly. I reported two instances of clear racist abuse to the club which occurred during the Cardiff game. This behaviour was vile and unacceptable
In the Blackpool game they displayed flags and have consistently booed taking the knee. Saying taking the knee is 'political' I will not accept when they have been involved in such disgusting racist abuse. These people are racist and should not be in our club. Call it out!!

Well agreed, if that’s the case.

But it’s hard to know as you haven’t given any details, you seemed to be alluding that disagreeing with the knee was racist so I can’t comment on what they said until I know for certain.

Displaying a flag is not racist or illegal, they are unionist flags. It’s a Northern Irish political flag.

Call out racism yes, but don’t pretend things are racist when they aren’t.

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 01:20 - Nov 21 with 11134 viewsChief

And the extreme irony of all this is: there will be people who boo the knee who will say they do it because they don't agree with politics in football,

While holding flags with sectarian slogans & symbols on them......

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 01:42 - Nov 21 with 11120 viewsDr_Parnassus

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 01:20 - Nov 21 by Chief

And the extreme irony of all this is: there will be people who boo the knee who will say they do it because they don't agree with politics in football,

While holding flags with sectarian slogans & symbols on them......

Will they say that though?

I’d imagine they would state they don’t agree with the politics on display as opposed to not agreeing with politics in football.

That wouldn’t seem to be a more logical conclusion.

I don’t like any politics in football of course. Regardless of what it is, including the knee, including sectarian symbolism.

But when you open the door to one, it’s hard to then make a case against other ones.

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 02:32 - Nov 21 with 11103 viewsDr_Parnassus

This is also the issue with the knee and fist “changing” meaning of course. Despite it already being established as heavily political.

All anyone has to do now is say “this flag doesn’t mean what you think it does anymore, we changed the meaning of it. It now means peace on earth to everyone”.

Then anyone disagreeing with that flag will be accused of being against peace.

Political statements and gestures can’t be changed to suit. Hence why people were urging this equality stance to move away from the politically affiliated stuff in order to gain universal backing.

It has now opened a can of worms for others to make their political feelings known and it causes issues, as today proved.

Politics should be kept out of the ground. Knee, loyalist, unionist, even the Green Party - all of it.

It’s a football match not a political rally.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 2:38]

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 03:58 - Nov 21 with 11073 viewsKilkennyjack

Well done on making a stand.

Beware of the Risen People

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 05:16 - Nov 21 with 10992 viewsRonaldStump

The only way to stop all this divisive BS is to stop taking the knee. There was never any of this agree prior to BLM introducing the knee to football. So why not go back to kick it out?
Any form of racist abuse is abhorrent and needs to be kicked out of life full stop, solutions that divide people will never get rid of it.

(He She Him)

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 05:26 - Nov 21 with 11039 viewsDr_Parnassus

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 05:16 - Nov 21 by RonaldStump

The only way to stop all this divisive BS is to stop taking the knee. There was never any of this agree prior to BLM introducing the knee to football. So why not go back to kick it out?
Any form of racist abuse is abhorrent and needs to be kicked out of life full stop, solutions that divide people will never get rid of it.

Or keep the knee but don't moan about others feeling like they can also do their political affiliated stuff.

Has to be consistent.

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 07:29 - Nov 21 with 11009 viewsKeithHaynes

Thanks to the op for their post.

The post being vile racists abuse, nothing to do with flags, and an opinion on taking the knee.
The vile racist abuse, if that is how the op see’s it needs addressing by the club and more specifically the police, regardless of the political issues. If you are able to express more reagrds the words used op then do so.

The knee thing is just that. It’s been doe to death.

For me a union flag is the flag of the country we either reside in, or have been brought up in, and having served that country for years with that flag on my shoulder I find the attachment by some to a political cause disgusting. And that’s from those who oppose the flag and those who support it.

The flag issue should not be mixed up with vile racists abuse, it may well be some are connected but as I’ve explained that’s my countries flag. I can give an opinion on the flag, I can’t support racist abuse ( you may have gathered that already ) The dialogue behind today of course is open and there for all to see. Here’s hoping that there haven’t been any incident victims of yesterday’s stupidity.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:09 - Nov 21 with 10936 viewstrampie

Football is tribal, Swansea was a Welsh team, this flying the union jack is disrespectful to the old fanbase of Swansea (is white flight immigration from England playing a part ?), Wales is not represented on the union jack, I've followed the Swans for decades and there never was any union jacks or Irish (Northern or otherwise) flags amongst the Swansea support, it started creeping in this century.
In football the union jack is associated with the right wing, racism, imperialism ect that goes against what a Welsh fanbase would have stood for, it's very disappointing to see.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 8:13]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:15 - Nov 21 with 10916 viewsbennytheblue

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 23:19 - Nov 20 by Treforys_Jack

Best place for that flag, on the floor, preferably in the toilets….it would never be tolerated at our place. Keep political stuff out of football.
Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:25 - Nov 21 with 10891 viewstrampie

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:15 - Nov 21 by bennytheblue

Best place for that flag, on the floor, preferably in the toilets….it would never be tolerated at our place. Keep political stuff out of football.

Some football teams fanbases (across the World) do have associations with certain political stances, the story with Swansea is it was a Welsh club with Welsh sentiments but now there is this infiltration of union jacks which is in football terms association with England who are Wales sporting rivals, also there is this Northern Ireland loyalist thing which has nothing to do with Swansea, i know the World is changing and demographics of areas and people change but I find it shocking how Swansea (a one time Welsh team) is getting taken over by English and Northern Irish loyalist types.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:27 - Nov 21 with 10882 viewsKeithHaynes

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:15 - Nov 21 by bennytheblue

Keep us updated 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 08:37 - Nov 21 with 10861 viewsChief

Racist behaviour and a lack of club action on 01:42 - Nov 21 by Dr_Parnassus

Will they say that though?

I’d imagine they would state they don’t agree with the politics on display as opposed to not agreeing with politics in football.

That wouldn’t seem to be a more logical conclusion.

I don’t like any politics in football of course. Regardless of what it is, including the knee, including sectarian symbolism.

But when you open the door to one, it’s hard to then make a case against other ones.

Yes it's the stock answer. "Should keep politics out of Football". Never once seen or heard anyone actually have the balls to admit their racism. Although some come close to with "all lives matter" mantra.

I will note though that you never hear the words "black lives matter" anymore, it's been totally phased out and none of our players do the fist anymore. So there's no association to any quasi - political entity anymore and yet it still gets booed by some.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024