Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another music shop gone 22:03 - Jan 26 with 2697 viewsEbo

Gamlins in Cardiff is closing down. There will now be only one major music store in the city (Professional Music Tech) as Cranes are long gone from Cardiff and Swansea. Sad state of affairs where in the two biggest cities of Wales there is only one big music shop between the 2.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Another music shop gone on 22:37 - Jan 26 with 2282 viewsProfessor

PMT are Liverpool-based but don’t have a store in the city. We have a few though but now only a Dawson’s in the centre.
Another music shop gone on 22:42 - Jan 26 with 2272 viewsbuilthjack

Hell of a shame. Gamlins was a cracking store.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Another music shop gone on 22:46 - Jan 26 with 2265 viewsEbo

I was gutted when Cranes went in Swansea, always popped in there on my lunch break. Oh well I have to use online for bits and bobs now :(

Another music shop gone on 22:51 - Jan 26 with 2255 viewsjack2jack

Another music shop gone on 22:46 - Jan 26 by Ebo

I was gutted when Cranes went in Swansea, always popped in there on my lunch break. Oh well I have to use online for bits and bobs now :(

Don't forget we also had Duck Son and Pinker.
Sold all sorts, sheet music, records, guitars etc.
Their shop in Bath closed years ago,not sure about the one in Bristol,would have to check,yep still there.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 22:53]
Another music shop gone on 08:13 - Jan 27 with 2142 viewsItchySphincter

Cariad drum shop in Bridgend appears to do well and Cadno in Llanelli has a range of pro-level guitars and accessories. I believe Music Station Swansea is still a going concern too, they used to have a big range of Roland equipment, not sure what they do these days though.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Another music shop gone on 09:08 - Jan 27 with 2118 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Is music dying? they are all shut aren't they, do kids still by musical instruments? Obviously not at the rate they used too?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 9:09]
Another music shop gone on 09:25 - Jan 27 with 2101 viewstaffpunk

Up my way, there's still one in Treforest , but the music shops in Penygraig and Ton Pentre have both closed in the last 5 years or so.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Another music shop gone on 09:38 - Jan 27 with 2088 viewsEbo

Another music shop gone on 09:08 - Jan 27 by AlfieMooresSon

Is music dying? they are all shut aren't they, do kids still by musical instruments? Obviously not at the rate they used too?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 9:09]

No it is certainly NOT dying. The internet has killed a lot of high street music businesses. They simply cannot compete.

Plenty of people young and old taking up an instrument and more power to them!

Login to get fewer ads

Another music shop gone on 09:38 - Jan 27 with 2087 viewsEbo

Another music shop gone on 09:25 - Jan 27 by taffpunk

Up my way, there's still one in Treforest , but the music shops in Penygraig and Ton Pentre have both closed in the last 5 years or so.

Is there one in Ponty as well Taff? AB strings or something?

Another music shop gone on 09:55 - Jan 27 with 2074 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Another music shop gone on 09:38 - Jan 27 by Ebo

No it is certainly NOT dying. The internet has killed a lot of high street music businesses. They simply cannot compete.

Plenty of people young and old taking up an instrument and more power to them!

OK that's good news!
Another music shop gone on 10:07 - Jan 27 with 2055 viewstaffpunk

Another music shop gone on 09:38 - Jan 27 by Ebo

Is there one in Ponty as well Taff? AB strings or something?

If that was the one that was by the Youth Club where they used to hold Record Fairs, then no that's gone. There was Terrys which used to sell guitars/amps as well as Records/CD's, but he sadly also closed about a year ago.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Another music shop gone on 10:19 - Jan 27 with 2051 viewsicecoldjack

Musicians are well known minges when it comes to spending money.add in the fact that most people love to moan about the high street yet shop online and hey presto no shops !

Sad to see it go.
Another music shop gone on 10:53 - Jan 27 with 2032 viewsItchySphincter

Another music shop gone on 10:19 - Jan 27 by icecoldjack

Musicians are well known minges when it comes to spending money.add in the fact that most people love to moan about the high street yet shop online and hey presto no shops !

Sad to see it go.

Talking shite again Ants? Musicians are well known gear junkies who spend loads of money, usually on high quality second hand and vintage, therefore many private sales and trades. The internet has certainly enabled it and hurt the high street retailer, no doubt. Brands like Fender and Gibson boxesd themselves into a corner when they insisted shops that they stocked carried a ridiculous amount of gear. The shops couldn’t afford to carry it and hence ended up stocking the Chinese crap that ends up in the skip. Everyone is responsible and to blame.

Another music shop gone on 11:21 - Jan 27 with 2008 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Yes but surely gamlins bad for you??

#Coat retrieved from cloakroom.....

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Another music shop gone on 12:34 - Jan 27 with 1976 viewsEbo

Another music shop gone on 10:53 - Jan 27 by ItchySphincter

Talking shite again Ants? Musicians are well known gear junkies who spend loads of money, usually on high quality second hand and vintage, therefore many private sales and trades. The internet has certainly enabled it and hurt the high street retailer, no doubt. Brands like Fender and Gibson boxesd themselves into a corner when they insisted shops that they stocked carried a ridiculous amount of gear. The shops couldn’t afford to carry it and hence ended up stocking the Chinese crap that ends up in the skip. Everyone is responsible and to blame.

Exactly. When I buy musical gear I need to physically try it out first, especially guitars. I have had my eye on numerous in the past yet when I got to try them out they either didn't feel right or I was very happy with the,. You won't get that online.

Another music shop gone on 12:58 - Jan 27 with 1954 viewsDarran

Another music shop gone on 10:19 - Jan 27 by icecoldjack

Sad to see it go.

Keep practicing Tone you could be the next Volbeat.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Another music shop gone on 13:05 - Jan 27 with 1942 viewsicecoldjack

Another music shop gone on 10:53 - Jan 27 by ItchySphincter

Do you buy new gear every 6 months ?

Guitars ,amps etc.

Prick.

And you answered your own idiotic post quite clearly “ quality second hand and vintage”

I don’t know anyone who buys themselves a new strat or Gibson often, and a music store will not keep changing out stock to please potential buyers, kit sits on the wall for fookin’ ages, after every muso in South Wales has played it pretended to be interested and then fooked off to the free ads or as it’s now called, the internet.
Another music shop gone on 13:15 - Jan 27 with 1925 viewsicecoldjack

Another music shop gone on 12:34 - Jan 27 by Ebo

Exactly. When I buy musical gear I need to physically try it out first, especially guitars. I have had my eye on numerous in the past yet when I got to try them out they either didn't feel right or I was very happy with the,. You won't get that online.

Of course, but let’s be honest most try and not buy, And that’s why music shops are closing down, if musicians were real gear junkies as the prick said then why are they all closing down ?

I had my music man sent over from the USA many years back, the only place to try one at the time was in London, (lefty) It was fine .

People don’t spend the required cash in music shops plain and simple,hence why there aren’t any left .
Another music shop gone on 13:24 - Jan 27 with 1915 viewsEbo

Another music shop gone on 13:15 - Jan 27 by icecoldjack

Of course, but let’s be honest most try and not buy, And that’s why music shops are closing down, if musicians were real gear junkies as the prick said then why are they all closing down ?

I had my music man sent over from the USA many years back, the only place to try one at the time was in London, (lefty) It was fine .

People don’t spend the required cash in music shops plain and simple,hence why there aren’t any left .

It's not just guitars, drums etc.. but the accessories, pedals etc which are bought the most and not having them close by is a real pain. Guy in cranes told me that the accessories thing was their biggest issue as people could buy these things in bulk online for cheaper.

Another music shop gone on 13:36 - Jan 27 with 1903 viewsPhil_S

Another music shop gone on 12:58 - Jan 27 by Darran

Wasnt he in Harry Potter?
Another music shop gone on 13:41 - Jan 27 with 1900 viewsDarran

Another music shop gone on 13:36 - Jan 27 by Phil_S

Wasnt he in Harry Potter?

Great band Philip educate yourself.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Another music shop gone on 14:27 - Jan 27 with 1876 viewsicecoldjack

Another music shop gone on 13:24 - Jan 27 by Ebo

It's not just guitars, drums etc.. but the accessories, pedals etc which are bought the most and not having them close by is a real pain. Guy in cranes told me that the accessories thing was their biggest issue as people could buy these things in bulk online for cheaper.

Totally agree. Meat and drink etc, but the mark up on a pack of slinkies isn't quite the same as a top end Guitar or Amp.

And if you like to try before you buy, as most of course would, then out of a stock of 5 top end Strats, you may just decide none of them suit you, so no sale .

It's the reason why these places have gone to wall, that and the fact the internet has made it an easier choice. There are plenty of musicians who go into a shop try out a guitar for size and then just order it online because it's cheaper.

Personally, once I found a set up I liked I just gigged it, and got used to its niggles, every venue is different anyway .

Think we had about 4/5 music shops in swansea at one time, could be wrong . John Ham,picton music,gwent music and roland with music station later on .

Think wizzy is still doing something in high street arcade perhaps?
Another music shop gone on 14:32 - Jan 27 with 1871 viewsicecoldjack

Another music shop gone on 12:58 - Jan 27 by Darran

The days of practicing are over, wrists all fooked up . Volbeat ? Yeah, awesome stuff,Danish though, gotta be Kaizers orchestra or the mighty Kvelertak ..or Aha.
Another music shop gone on 14:34 - Jan 27 with 1867 viewsItchySphincter

Another music shop gone on 13:05 - Jan 27 by icecoldjack

Do you buy new gear every 6 months ?

Guitars ,amps etc.

Prick.

And you answered your own idiotic post quite clearly “ quality second hand and vintage”

I don’t know anyone who buys themselves a new strat or Gibson often, and a music store will not keep changing out stock to please potential buyers, kit sits on the wall for fookin’ ages, after every muso in South Wales has played it pretended to be interested and then fooked off to the free ads or as it’s now called, the internet.

No need to be all mean mun, don’t let yourself down. 👍🏻

Another music shop gone on 14:36 - Jan 27 with 1866 viewsItchySphincter

Another music shop gone on 13:15 - Jan 27 by icecoldjack

..... and again, no need mun....

Music Man, nice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024