Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? 19:52 - Jan 2 with 9563 viewsBarrySwan

Most teams seem to have fairly competent keepers, and most professional keepers will have a decent amount of fantastic saves in them on occasion as does our Freddy. The better standard of keepers clearly perform better on a more consistent basis than the also rans.

But I'm afraid the word 'ordinary' is the very best I can come up with to describe Woodman, surely it can't be that difficult to find a reasonably priced keeper who does the basics and reasonably straight forward saves on a regular basis with the odd sterling performance thrown in, as opposed to being beaten time after time by the most pedestrian of shots from distance on a fairly regular basis.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 19:52]
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:02 - Jan 2 with 3477 viewsonehunglow

Be aware of what is coming barry as Fred has a legion of fan who see him as a great asset.

I do not see it myself;what I see is a keeper who will not or cannot command his area and leaves it to his defenders to remove all the dangers. He is lucky to have the likes of Guehi Cabango and Bennett in front of him. Had he not, he would have been outed long ago as an absolute average at best keeper.

Watford goal was a perfect example.

If we could replace him,we could relax every time a ball comes into the box.

He is not a great shot saver either.

Benda must be truly awful

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:06 - Jan 2 with 3471 viewsKeithHaynes

If we did go up I would be disappointed if we signed him as first choice, but with coopers excellent formations in the championship he is ideal. Against Reading fine, against Liverpool not so sure.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:09 - Jan 2 with 3459 viewsonehunglow

Don't ever make jokes like that Guv. That is not remotely funny.It is a horrendous prospect and we would not be so dumb ,would we?.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:29 - Jan 2 with 3376 viewsDr_Winston

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:06 - Jan 2 by KeithHaynes

If we did go up I would be disappointed if we signed him as first choice, but with coopers excellent formations in the championship he is ideal. Against Reading fine, against Liverpool not so sure.

He's another DeVries, only not as good. Decent, but being made to look better than he is by the defence he's playing behind.

Not worthy of the scorn he receives from some quarters, but nowhere near the standard we need long term. I'm disappointed for Benda kicking his heels behind him.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:42 - Jan 2 with 3367 viewsTreforys_Jack

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:02 - Jan 2 by onehunglow

Be aware of what is coming barry as Fred has a legion of fan who see him as a great asset.

I do not see it myself;what I see is a keeper who will not or cannot command his area and leaves it to his defenders to remove all the dangers. He is lucky to have the likes of Guehi Cabango and Bennett in front of him. Had he not, he would have been outed long ago as an absolute average at best keeper.

Watford goal was a perfect example.

If we could replace him,we could relax every time a ball comes into the box.

He is not a great shot saver either.

Benda must be truly awful

Far from great, but certainly not a coward. We could prob do better in fairness.
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:43 - Jan 2 with 3367 viewsFireboy2

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:29 - Jan 2 by Dr_Winston

He's another DeVries, only not as good. Decent, but being made to look better than he is by the defence he's playing behind.

Not worthy of the scorn he receives from some quarters, but nowhere near the standard we need long term. I'm disappointed for Benda kicking his heels behind him.

Great post Doc, absolutely spot on.
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:47 - Jan 2 with 3354 viewsDr_Parnassus

He is a decent squad keeper. Very much in the De Vries category as DW says.

Quite limited, but comfortable with the ball at his feet which helps take the pressure off us when we are being pressed. Not particularly commanding of his area and shot stopping is a little suspect.

Worthy of a spot in our team, but can be improved upon next season regardless of if we are promoted or not.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:51 - Jan 2 with 3338 viewsTreforys_Jack

Benda didn't help himself when he got a chance and dropped a clanger.
Login to get fewer ads

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:55 - Jan 2 with 3321 viewsBadlands

No doubt there are better 'keepers in this division and he's no where near PL standard but he is decent enough (prefer Benda myself but TBH there's not w lot in it).
However, we have to accept he's very young in 'goalkeeper years' and could well mature into a top class player but not, I think, with us.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:56 - Jan 2 with 3322 views34dfgdf54

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:47 - Jan 2 by Dr_Parnassus

He is a decent squad keeper. Very much in the De Vries category as DW says.

Quite limited, but comfortable with the ball at his feet which helps take the pressure off us when we are being pressed. Not particularly commanding of his area and shot stopping is a little suspect.

Worthy of a spot in our team, but can be improved upon next season regardless of if we are promoted or not.

I wouldn’t say he was comfortable with the ball at his feet, he seems to want to go long more often than not and when needing to play cross field pass out he seems to over hit the majority.

Decent enough keeper, still young, but big improvement needed to survive in premier league.
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:02 - Jan 2 with 3305 viewsDr_Parnassus

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:56 - Jan 2 by 34dfgdf54

I wouldn’t say he was comfortable with the ball at his feet, he seems to want to go long more often than not and when needing to play cross field pass out he seems to over hit the majority.

Decent enough keeper, still young, but big improvement needed to survive in premier league.

Our defenders trust him to give him the ball in potentially dangerous positions when being pressed. He is comfortable with it at his feet, he doesn't panic and just kick it like some keepers do, he looks for the right pass. But yes sometimes his passes go wayward.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:17 - Jan 2 with 3262 viewsHighjack

If he was a world beater he wouldn’t be fourth choice at Newcastle and playing in the championship.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:17 - Jan 2 with 3269 viewsBillyChong

Doris was more commanding, you’d hear him bellowing for 90 mins. Woodman would be the equivalent to the Leeds keeper in the prem, young with a mistake in him relying on his forwards to outscore his errors.
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:25 - Jan 2 with 3257 viewsTreforys_Jack

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:17 - Jan 2 by BillyChong

Doris was more commanding, you’d hear him bellowing for 90 mins. Woodman would be the equivalent to the Leeds keeper in the prem, young with a mistake in him relying on his forwards to outscore his errors.

Ah yes Dorus sounded like a seal in labour.
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:27 - Jan 2 with 3255 views1462jack

We’re Swansea city mate not Real Madrid
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:27 - Jan 2 with 3216 viewsDr_Winston

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 20:51 - Jan 2 by Treforys_Jack

Benda didn't help himself when he got a chance and dropped a clanger.

No, but I doubt Cooper needed many excuses to immediately revert back to his preferred option. We've seen Woodman make more mistakes and still keep his place.

At some point we have to decide what to do with Benda. His performances elsewhere suggest that he's a good keeper in the making but he's not going to develop sat on our bench. If we are lucky enough to gain promotion next season do we trust him in the PL or is he on the bench again?

This season has been a wasted opportunity for him and us IMO. We could have stuck with Benda as our first choice and brought in an experienced old head on a cheapish contract as backup.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:59 - Jan 2 with 3201 viewsReslovenSwan1

I suspect both Woodman and Benda are on wages that the club can afford. I was somewhat taken aback on the wages of Mulder and Nordfielt in comapision and neither were much better than Woodman.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 22:13 - Jan 2 with 3171 viewsHighjack

That goal today nine times out of ten hits a defender and flies out for a corner.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 22:39 - Jan 2 with 3144 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 21:59 - Jan 2 by ReslovenSwan1

I suspect both Woodman and Benda are on wages that the club can afford. I was somewhat taken aback on the wages of Mulder and Nordfielt in comapision and neither were much better than Woodman.

Woodman is far better than both Mulder and Nordfelt. It seems about three of the poster oh here don't fancy him. He has the second best saves to shots ratio in this division 80% . Not sure what more he can other save the ones he should.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 23:02 - Jan 2 with 3112 viewsangryjack

Good young keeper
Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 23:11 - Jan 2 with 3103 viewsswancity

No one has said Woodman is a “ world beater “ whatever that means. None of our lads are but let’s pick on Woodman?

But he is most certainly a competent keeper at Championship level. Definitely a mark up on Mulder and Nordfeldt too. And is serving our Club well as his record shows.

Benda is pushing him but Cooper sees them in training every day as well and Woodman is doing enough to keep his place. Remember all keepers make mistakes, even the best in the world.

By the way I don’t think our Club have ever been challenging to win this Division before. Woodman is a big part of that this season. His understanding with our defence is important.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 23:15 - Jan 2 with 3101 viewsKeithHaynes

I'm the last person to have a go at any player who puts on to our clubs shirt, and yes some of the stuff he gets lobbed at him is very odd. I would put Dorus well ahead of him. I'm still baffled how a seemingly intelligent guy like him made the choice he did when we went up though.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 08:06 - Jan 3 with 2959 viewsDr_Winston

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 23:15 - Jan 2 by KeithHaynes

I'm the last person to have a go at any player who puts on to our clubs shirt, and yes some of the stuff he gets lobbed at him is very odd. I would put Dorus well ahead of him. I'm still baffled how a seemingly intelligent guy like him made the choice he did when we went up though.

I'm still fairly sure that we'd have upgraded on DeVries even if he'd stayed, and he had an inkling of that too so jumped ship while his stock was high. Rodgers is too canny to have been unaware of his likely shortcomings in the Prem.

Vorm at £1.5m would have been a no brainer in any scenario.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 08:30 - Jan 3 with 2983 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 08:06 - Jan 3 by Dr_Winston

I'm still fairly sure that we'd have upgraded on DeVries even if he'd stayed, and he had an inkling of that too so jumped ship while his stock was high. Rodgers is too canny to have been unaware of his likely shortcomings in the Prem.

Vorm at £1.5m would have been a no brainer in any scenario.

Yet even Vorm was criticised for not dominating his penalty area and being afraid to come out for crosses.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 10:25 - Jan 3 with 2914 viewsonehunglow

Woodmans not exactly a world beater is he? on 08:30 - Jan 3 by felixstowe_jack

Yet even Vorm was criticised for not dominating his penalty area and being afraid to come out for crosses.

Yes he was and rightly so.
He was a far better shot stopper though.
Woodman is vastly overated and some posters are clearly pity pity on him as they know ,when they look in the mirror,they feel the same as those who do not rate him. He would be nowhere be in receipt of tis love in had he lesser defenders who are covering his deficiencies. Newcastle will want him off their books and I pray we do not fall for it.

Weird,Keith,is best word for the unfettered praise he gets for doing the most rudimentary tasks .

Id rather a keeper be good with the ball in his arms than at his feet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024