Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? 18:24 - May 11 with 1885 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cooper must know the lad. Oodles of talent but not quite cut the mustard for some reason. Just like wayne in fact. With this talent Wayne could be his mentor to help him fullfill his potenetial. Low risk High reward.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2021/05/11/ben-woodburn-marks-likely-final-appeara

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 18:56 - May 11 with 1838 viewsChief

Got to be worth a punt.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 21:11 - May 11 with 1730 viewsCatullus

It's hardly low risk. He'll go to a club that offers him the best deal and that may mean 3/4 years. What if he flops badly?

He's failed out on loan at the Blades, was injury prone at Oxford and do we have the resources to gambe on him?

Is it a case of a players career being ruined by having too much too soon?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 22:42 - May 11 with 1679 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 21:11 - May 11 by Catullus

It's hardly low risk. He'll go to a club that offers him the best deal and that may mean 3/4 years. What if he flops badly?

He's failed out on loan at the Blades, was injury prone at Oxford and do we have the resources to gambe on him?

Like Routedge was he is a real good player with excellent technique at 22 with a number of undistinguished loans. I am suggesting that rather being a squad player in a big team he should settle down and become a regular at a lower level at Swansea at team that is known to play the ball on the deck. Swansea is a team a little bit lacking in star quality.

Routledge was also a risk. He scored his first ever PL goal for Swansea on boxing day at Villa. I remember it. He struggled for a while to displace Sinclair and Dyer. An educated risk by Brendan who knew Routs like Woodburn had the skills but not then the return of the skills.

At Swansea he might also have a better chance of retunuing to the Welsh team alongside Roberts, Cabango and possible Brandon Cooper.

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 22:50 - May 11 with 1666 viewsChief

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 21:11 - May 11 by Catullus

I understand what you're saying but I doubt he'll be able to command that large a wage. Not sure how much compensation etc Liverpool would be entitled to. As you say his form at league 1 has been non existent,so can't see him having too many offers.

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 22:53 - May 11 with 1665 viewsjasper_T

Not for me.
Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 23:04 - May 11 with 1656 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 22:53 - May 11 by jasper_T

Not for me.

I would be interested in your reasoning as a well respected academy corespondent. Unless Woodburn has social issues like being a 'party animal' for instance I think he still has some very good prospects at only 22.

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 23:05 - May 11 with 1654 viewsChief

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 23:04 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

I would be interested in your reasoning as a well respected academy corespondent. Unless Woodburn has social issues like being a 'party animal' for instance I think he still has some very good prospects at only 22.

I've heard he enjoys a slurp.

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 00:54 - May 12 with 1606 viewsjasper_T

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 23:04 - May 11 by ReslovenSwan1

Not good enough to be a regular. Far too expensive to be a prospect scrapping for occasional minutes.
Login to get fewer ads

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 03:30 - May 12 with 1590 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

"Oodles of talent"

Is that a joke?

He's 21 and is dropping down the leagues very quickly. He has struggled to break into two League 1 sides, with Blackpool only giving him <360 minutes in the league.

If it wasn't for his goal against Austria, he wouldn't have this ridiculous reputation amongst Welsh football fans.

He'll do well to get a permanent contract in League 2. If a League 1 team takes a punt on him, his agent deserves a raise. If a Championship club pays money for him then their recruitment department needs an overhaul.

Come on.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 05:46 - May 12 with 1566 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have to agree with Dwight here. He has only 1 professional club goal to his name right? For Oxford.

Wayne Routledge already had 100 Premier League games under his belt when we signed him.

If Woodburn is a really cheap deal then I could see some benefit in it and putting him in the U-23's, but for a first team option right now I cant see too much upside with it.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 08:50 - May 12 with 1501 viewsonehunglow

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 03:30 - May 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

"Oodles of talent"

Is that a joke?

He's 21 and is dropping down the leagues very quickly. He has struggled to break into two League 1 sides, with Blackpool only giving him <360 minutes in the league.

If it wasn't for his goal against Austria, he wouldn't have this ridiculous reputation amongst Welsh football fans.

He'll do well to get a permanent contract in League 2. If a League 1 team takes a punt on him, his agent deserves a raise. If a Championship club pays money for him then their recruitment department needs an overhaul.

Come on.

They should retire the Marque

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 14:17 - May 12 with 1422 viewsReslovenSwan1

He is and remains Liverpoold youngest ever scorer. He has an incredible technique and at 22 trains full time with the full Liverpool squad. For some reason he has not in recent times transfered these skills into results on competetive. matches. This is not at all unusual. Harry Wilson bombed at Crewe Alexanda at 20. Grimes bombed at Leeds and Blackburn.

Players come to their potential at around 24. He is a risk but a calculated risk. Swansea can only get these players when they are non prime and carrying some baggage. If Swansea can bring them to their prime and remove the baggage then they have a very good player.

Dyer was a 'headless chicken'. Routledge was a 'moneychasing flash Harry' Michu was a 'one season wonder' Bodde was a "Dutch hothead" Fabianski and Tate "always had a mistake in him" De Guzman "had no guts" and Woodman "is a coward".
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:19]

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 14:31 - May 12 with 1405 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 14:17 - May 12 by ReslovenSwan1

He is and remains Liverpoold youngest ever scorer. He has an incredible technique and at 22 trains full time with the full Liverpool squad. For some reason he has not in recent times transfered these skills into results on competetive. matches. This is not at all unusual. Harry Wilson bombed at Crewe Alexanda at 20. Grimes bombed at Leeds and Blackburn.

Players come to their potential at around 24. He is a risk but a calculated risk. Swansea can only get these players when they are non prime and carrying some baggage. If Swansea can bring them to their prime and remove the baggage then they have a very good player.

Dyer was a 'headless chicken'. Routledge was a 'moneychasing flash Harry' Michu was a 'one season wonder' Bodde was a "Dutch hothead" Fabianski and Tate "always had a mistake in him" De Guzman "had no guts" and Woodman "is a coward".
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:19]

In your final paragraph you're comparing him to players who have had modest to tremendous success elsewhere prior to coming here. Why even mention Fabianski and De Guzman in this thread?

He's not a calculated risk. He's a player who has shown no signs he is able to play well in League 1, yet you're advocating bringing him here. There are dozens, if not hundreds of young players who are showing far more talent at his age.

Like I said, he has this faux reputation because:

1) He's Welsh
2) Scored a memorable goal on his debut for Wales

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 14:35 - May 12 with 1399 viewsBadlands

A truly astounding slur against one of our most important players of the last 20 years.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 15:17 - May 12 with 1382 viewsvetchonian

but can he kick the ball by only using the outside of his right foot?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 15:58 - May 12 with 1364 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 14:31 - May 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

In your final paragraph you're comparing him to players who have had modest to tremendous success elsewhere prior to coming here. Why even mention Fabianski and De Guzman in this thread?

He's not a calculated risk. He's a player who has shown no signs he is able to play well in League 1, yet you're advocating bringing him here. There are dozens, if not hundreds of young players who are showing far more talent at his age.

Like I said, he has this faux reputation because:

1) He's Welsh
2) Scored a memorable goal on his debut for Wales

By definition I am comparing Woodburn with other players considered a 'calculated risk'. They all had baggage. That is why they came to Swansea. Woodburn is of this ilk. This is my suggestion.

Dyer for example was at the same stage as Woodburn. I also pointed out Harry Wilson flopped at Crewe (in league 1) at the same age before blossoming a year or two later. Connor Roberts and Matt Grimes took time to find their feet with a number of unsatifactory loans. Dan James bombed at Shrewsbury.

Being Welsh is something I admit to. I want Welsh players and Welsh teams to do well.

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 17:14 - May 12 with 1342 viewsjasper_T

Harry Wilson has blossomed into a good Championship player out of our price range. First loan didn't go well as an 18 year old by the time he was Woodburn's age he'd shown quality at Championship level with Hull and hit the ground running at Derby.

As good as Grimes has been he cost us more in fees and wages than many of our regulars so it's not as if we got a fantastic deal by gambling on his potential early (he was already an established L2 player so further along than Woodburn is now). Three and a half years at £10K a week before we got a meaningful run of games out of him. Woodburn's on at least that much at Liverpool.

Shopping in the wrong supermarket for bargains.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 17:15]
Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 17:17 - May 12 with 1337 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 15:58 - May 12 by ReslovenSwan1

By definition I am comparing Woodburn with other players considered a 'calculated risk'. They all had baggage. That is why they came to Swansea. Woodburn is of this ilk. This is my suggestion.

Dyer for example was at the same stage as Woodburn. I also pointed out Harry Wilson flopped at Crewe (in league 1) at the same age before blossoming a year or two later. Connor Roberts and Matt Grimes took time to find their feet with a number of unsatifactory loans. Dan James bombed at Shrewsbury.

Being Welsh is something I admit to. I want Welsh players and Welsh teams to do well.

Nathan Dyer had played 68 matches before joining us.

Wilson was 18 years old when he was at Crewe. Woodburn is approaching 22.

At Woodburn's age, Wilson had already completed a spell at Hull where he scored 7 goals in 13 matches. He had established himself as an integral part of Derby's first eleven and scored 15 goals that season. All at or before the age Ben Woodburn is now. At age 22 he completed an entire season in the Premier League, scoring 7 goals in 31 matches for woeful Bournemouth team.

Why are you comparing him to Harry Wilson at all? Because they both play for Wales I suspect?

Connor Roberts played a full season (45) games at Yeovil and took their Player of the Year award at 19 years old. At age 22 he was the starting right back for Swansea City in the second tier.

Matt Grimes was Player of the Year at Exeter at 18 years old and was in the PFA Team of the Year the following year at 19 years old.

Daniel James was arguably our standout player at the age of 20 and played 33 matches that season before moving to Manchester United.

All your examples are ridiculous and only emphasise how far behind these players Ben Woodburn is.

[Post edited 12 May 2021 17:17]

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 17:28 - May 12 with 1326 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Dyer had made 68 appearances in the Championship when he came to Swansea. Woodburn is nowhere near at the same stage of development as a player and he’s six months older than Dyer was when he came here. Woodburn has done nothing to demonstrate that he can be a force at Championship level. He’s the kind of player you might give a trial to if he cost nothing and had low wage expectations.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 17:35 - May 12 with 1320 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 17:17 - May 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Nathan Dyer had played 68 matches before joining us.

Wilson was 18 years old when he was at Crewe. Woodburn is approaching 22.

At Woodburn's age, Wilson had already completed a spell at Hull where he scored 7 goals in 13 matches. He had established himself as an integral part of Derby's first eleven and scored 15 goals that season. All at or before the age Ben Woodburn is now. At age 22 he completed an entire season in the Premier League, scoring 7 goals in 31 matches for woeful Bournemouth team.

Why are you comparing him to Harry Wilson at all? Because they both play for Wales I suspect?

Connor Roberts played a full season (45) games at Yeovil and took their Player of the Year award at 19 years old. At age 22 he was the starting right back for Swansea City in the second tier.

Matt Grimes was Player of the Year at Exeter at 18 years old and was in the PFA Team of the Year the following year at 19 years old.

Daniel James was arguably our standout player at the age of 20 and played 33 matches that season before moving to Manchester United.

All your examples are ridiculous and only emphasise how far behind these players Ben Woodburn is.

[Post edited 12 May 2021 17:17]

Wilson and Woodburn are Welsh Liverpool products. If anything Liverpool still aparently see more in Woodburn than in Wilson. I accept Woodbun is a ittle behind Wilson in terms of rate of development.

The point I am making is disappointing loans can be misleading. Roberts after his great year at Yeovil bombed at Bristol Rovers and Middlesbourough. He was not written off. Grimes bombed at Blackburn and Leeds and in fact was given dog's abuse. James bombed at Shrewbury at 20 or so and was considering life outside football. Woodburn is 21 still a pup.

Not ridiculous at all. The fact you think so low of him is why he is a possible purchase for Swansea. If he was still highly rated he would not even be seen as a possible signing.

Marcus Edwards of Spurs is another player very highly thought of who is making impressive strides back in Portugal after having a less than briliant spell. At 22 hitting consistency and maturity with a huge buy out clause on his head.

German teams have been taking punts on these sortsof players at around 21-22 years Egbo, Reece Oxford, Keenan Bennetts, Ammaechi etc.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 17:44]

Wayne Routledge Mark 2 ? on 11:05 - May 13 with 1187 viewsKilkennyjack

100 per cent. 👍

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024