Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? 10:40 - Aug 22 with 2021 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I must say I’ve been really impressed by Joel Piroe. Strong, athletic, always looking to link play and crucially coming back to press opposition midfielders when ours are closing in (saw this a few times and ended up turning over their ball or making them rush their play).

But his technical ability and accuracy on goal (9 shots maybe just one off target in the Reading and BC games )? Contrast that with his counterparts and predecessors and he looks far more clinical than most (Michu excepted). I think he adds so much more than Ayew who was a great player for us and a Talisman) - he drags people all over the place and his finishing is emphatic - the goal on Friday night was that of a man who wasn’t going to be denied. His work rate off the ball should have won him MOM on Friday - he ran himself into the ground for his manager and his team mates.

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that if he remains fit he’ll break the 20 goals barrier this season. If I was Martin I’d give him a massive boost by handing him the no.9 jersey - I think in response of that kind of a vote of confidence would again be to do his damndest to live up to that label. Even if we get Gray I think Piroe should have it. He’s an instinctive 9, and at 22 has got all the tools to do very well in the game. It’s fair to say I’m very very excited at what he could do for us over the course of this season. Thoughts ?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 11:41 - Aug 22 with 1958 viewsWhiterockin

Should be an excellent player for us. One downside he lacks pace, but so did Danny Graham who was very much underrated for us.
Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 12:03 - Aug 22 with 1928 viewsChief

Looks great and JVZ can faaaack orf

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 12:08 - Aug 22 with 1903 viewsDr_Parnassus

Had my concerns initially with the way he was left out, but he does look a very good player and certainly someone that can contribute to the build up play, looks to have a good touch and some nice technique about him.

A must start as the focal point in our attacks.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 13:32 - Aug 22 with 1845 viewsCatullus

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 11:41 - Aug 22 by Whiterockin

Should be an excellent player for us. One downside he lacks pace, but so did Danny Graham who was very much underrated for us.

He does lack pace but his movement is good and he has physical presence, he'll win the headers.
It's up to us to play to his strengths and then I agree with the OP, he could hit 20.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 13:57 - Aug 22 with 1814 viewsjackrmee

I'm very impressed with this guy. I could see from the Reading game that he had that little bit extra.

Still confused why he wasn't given the #9 jersey. Especially if we are keeping it spare for a loan signing.
I know that a number shouldn't really mean much, in an adult world, and maybe Piroe doesn't care, but there was rumours about the "incident" with RM and him being droppedd being about the #9 jersey.
I hope we don't give it to a loan player.
I don't know if there is scope now to give it to Piroe, but I think that would be a good idea.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 14:30 - Aug 22 with 1780 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 13:57 - Aug 22 by jackrmee

I'm very impressed with this guy. I could see from the Reading game that he had that little bit extra.

Still confused why he wasn't given the #9 jersey. Especially if we are keeping it spare for a loan signing.
I know that a number shouldn't really mean much, in an adult world, and maybe Piroe doesn't care, but there was rumours about the "incident" with RM and him being droppedd being about the #9 jersey.
I hope we don't give it to a loan player.
I don't know if there is scope now to give it to Piroe, but I think that would be a good idea.

It’s never too late to right a wrong. I’m sure it would reflect very well on Martin indeed - make him look a man big enough to admit that he may have made a mistake .Football is full of pig headed managers who were too egotistical to change their minds over players and it’s cost them in the long run.

On the flip side I’m sure it would give Piroe a massive boost that his manager has realised just how good he is - a ringing endorsement.

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 14:32 - Aug 22 with 1767 viewsonehunglow

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 13:32 - Aug 22 by Catullus

He does lack pace but his movement is good and he has physical presence, he'll win the headers.
It's up to us to play to his strengths and then I agree with the OP, he could hit 20.

He is one guy who is looking to bury the ball into the opposition net at every opportunity.

One to treasure surely

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 15:11 - Aug 22 with 1738 viewspencoedjack

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 11:41 - Aug 22 by Whiterockin

Thought Danny Graham was highly thought of tbh.
Login to get fewer ads

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 15:28 - Aug 22 with 1724 viewsDr_Winston

Piroe also looks capable of playing off a central striker, should we choose to go down that road.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 15:59 - Aug 22 with 1690 viewsItchySphincter

Piroe may or may not turn out to be brilliant but one thing he gives us is the willingness to look up and drive in to the box whereas after a couple of years of Cooperball most of our players would have turned away from the opportunity that Piroe scored from. Only Ayew would have been willing to take that shot in last season.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 16:18 - Aug 22 with 1670 viewsDr_Winston

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 15:59 - Aug 22 by ItchySphincter

Piroe may or may not turn out to be brilliant but one thing he gives us is the willingness to look up and drive in to the box whereas after a couple of years of Cooperball most of our players would have turned away from the opportunity that Piroe scored from. Only Ayew would have been willing to take that shot in last season.

Similar to the attempt he had saved at Reading. Picked it up quite deep and wide yet drove towards the box with it.

We've not got enough players willing to take a man on.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 20:12 - Aug 22 with 1551 viewsRock

Excellent thread, Brynmill, Piröe has led the line with conviction and intelligence, excellent movement off the ball, constantly running the channels, stretching the backline and pulling his marker out of position, continuously opening up space for Dhanda/Paterson and Whittaker/Cullen and allowing our midfield more time to pick a pass.

Superb close control and delicate first touch, the ball stays glued to his feet even while weaving through a crowded defence, and he has the unpredictability and skills that you’d expect to see more from a winger. His confidence and willingness to run at defenders is a wonderful and unique skill for us to have as our No 9. Over his career, he has averaged 1.4 dribbles per 90 at a 57% success rate, fourth most prolific dribbler in our squad behind Laird, Whittaker and Walsh, and only behind Walsh in success rate.

As a striker, though, his instinct is to shoot and shoot often, especially when he’s got a good look, and he has impressed with his sharpness in front of goal. He takes his shots early, quickly, with power and places them well. In his career, he has averaged 4.7 shots per 90, with 2.7 of those coming from within the penalty area and nearly half (2.1) on target. Those are all elite numbers, exactly what we need up top, a gunslinger and sniper all in one. Piröe really has a fabulous wand of a left foot a la Michu, coupled with impressive technique using both feet and a willingness to play the ball out wide and get himself in the box for the return pass or cross. The data shows Piröe is an elite goal scorer across his career, averaging 0.8 goals per 90, or a goal every 107 minutes, with a 18% goal conversion rate, albeit in very limited time on the pitch, but he’s proven it so far with us.

He’s got the strength and control to hold the ball up well, the leaping ability to be a threat in the air, decent pace and awareness to make runs and stretch the backline, and the creativity and vision on the ball to drop deep and link up play or get in the half-spaces and pick out runners in dangerous positions in the final third. 0.8 key passes per 90 for his career is not quite elite, but above-average for a striker and on par with Ayew’s production for us.

He has surprised me defensively with how quickly and naturally he presses from the front, closing down on the backline and keeper at the right time and angle, forcing a lot of panicked long balls to nowhere from Reading and Bristol. In Martin’s system, where a high press is a key component, the forwards, and especially the central striker, are required to trigger the press from the front in order to win the ball back quickly and regain possession. Piröe has the intelligence and willingness to do this, but he needs a bit of time to get his fitness up to sustain it the entire match.

Piröe possesses the complete package as a No 9, and really didn’t get much time at PSV because he was stuck behind the talents of Donyell Malen and Noni Madueke, two players that are worth over £60m combined. Malen moved to Dortmund for €30m earlier this summer and has already become Haaland’s new buddy up top. Madueke is being watched by all the top clubs and might move before the window closes.

If Piröe can continue to exhibit the form he showed against Reading and Bristol we might be selling him for a hefty fee after a couple of seasons too, he is that level of talent and has shown it at moments in his brief career. The hope is he can exhibit it consistently, and with Martin at the helm the chances are good he will. High hopes for the kid.
Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 20:32 - Aug 22 with 1515 viewsonehunglow

RockyOften,players LOOK better.
They have something about them.Piroe LOOKS what we have been missing.

He wants to score goals for a start.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 21:05 - Aug 22 with 1490 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 20:12 - Aug 22 by Rock

Excellent thread, Brynmill, Piröe has led the line with conviction and intelligence, excellent movement off the ball, constantly running the channels, stretching the backline and pulling his marker out of position, continuously opening up space for Dhanda/Paterson and Whittaker/Cullen and allowing our midfield more time to pick a pass.

Superb close control and delicate first touch, the ball stays glued to his feet even while weaving through a crowded defence, and he has the unpredictability and skills that you’d expect to see more from a winger. His confidence and willingness to run at defenders is a wonderful and unique skill for us to have as our No 9. Over his career, he has averaged 1.4 dribbles per 90 at a 57% success rate, fourth most prolific dribbler in our squad behind Laird, Whittaker and Walsh, and only behind Walsh in success rate.

As a striker, though, his instinct is to shoot and shoot often, especially when he’s got a good look, and he has impressed with his sharpness in front of goal. He takes his shots early, quickly, with power and places them well. In his career, he has averaged 4.7 shots per 90, with 2.7 of those coming from within the penalty area and nearly half (2.1) on target. Those are all elite numbers, exactly what we need up top, a gunslinger and sniper all in one. Piröe really has a fabulous wand of a left foot a la Michu, coupled with impressive technique using both feet and a willingness to play the ball out wide and get himself in the box for the return pass or cross. The data shows Piröe is an elite goal scorer across his career, averaging 0.8 goals per 90, or a goal every 107 minutes, with a 18% goal conversion rate, albeit in very limited time on the pitch, but he’s proven it so far with us.

He’s got the strength and control to hold the ball up well, the leaping ability to be a threat in the air, decent pace and awareness to make runs and stretch the backline, and the creativity and vision on the ball to drop deep and link up play or get in the half-spaces and pick out runners in dangerous positions in the final third. 0.8 key passes per 90 for his career is not quite elite, but above-average for a striker and on par with Ayew’s production for us.

He has surprised me defensively with how quickly and naturally he presses from the front, closing down on the backline and keeper at the right time and angle, forcing a lot of panicked long balls to nowhere from Reading and Bristol. In Martin’s system, where a high press is a key component, the forwards, and especially the central striker, are required to trigger the press from the front in order to win the ball back quickly and regain possession. Piröe has the intelligence and willingness to do this, but he needs a bit of time to get his fitness up to sustain it the entire match.

Piröe possesses the complete package as a No 9, and really didn’t get much time at PSV because he was stuck behind the talents of Donyell Malen and Noni Madueke, two players that are worth over £60m combined. Malen moved to Dortmund for €30m earlier this summer and has already become Haaland’s new buddy up top. Madueke is being watched by all the top clubs and might move before the window closes.

If Piröe can continue to exhibit the form he showed against Reading and Bristol we might be selling him for a hefty fee after a couple of seasons too, he is that level of talent and has shown it at moments in his brief career. The hope is he can exhibit it consistently, and with Martin at the helm the chances are good he will. High hopes for the kid.

Thanks for a great piece there Rock, Pulitzer far more elegantly than I could muster.
Agree with all of it, I hope Martin makes him his main man. Ordinary Championship strikers don’t finish goals like he did on Friday. It would be a masterclass in man management.

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 01:49 - Aug 23 with 1402 viewsRock

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 21:05 - Aug 22 by Brynmill_Jack

Thanks for a great piece there Rock, Pulitzer far more elegantly than I could muster.
Agree with all of it, I hope Martin makes him his main man. Ordinary Championship strikers don’t finish goals like he did on Friday. It would be a masterclass in man management.

Cheers, Brynmill.

I agree, I hope Martin will keep him as the top option up front and I believe that will happen going forward. He gave Lowe his chance to build on his goal-scoring success last season, but he really needs to work on his touch, passing and movement to consistently get in the XI under Martin.

In his system, he can’t have the attacks break down at the last over and over again, and a lot of the build-up play is intended to manipulate the defence around, frustrate them and tire them out so pockets of space open up that can be exploited. When that happens, the key is to attack quickly and it is vital to have forwards who can make things happen, whether that is the simple pass out wide, one-two or a layoff to a midfielder making a forward run, or just making a smart run that takes defenders with him.

Too often so far Lowe has looked sluggish in movement and poor with his hold-up play and on the ball. I like him personally and would like to see him do well this season, but he needs to put his head down and work harder. Same with Dhanda. Having Walsh and Downes both fit and in the XI will help with our build-up play and ball movement, and Lowe will be given more opportunities to thrive, but a few parts of his game clearly need some work.

Piröe has been a class above so far, Martin has made the right call with him to a tee. Judging by the way they embraced when he was taken off against Bristol, I think we are in for a lot more goals going forward. Hopefully we can bring in a player like O’Hare to provide the skills and those killer line-breaking balls more often.
Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 01:39 - Sep 22 with 830 viewsRock

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 10:04 - Sep 22 with 743 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Piroe - the striker we’ve been waiting for? on 01:39 - Sep 22 by Rock

Love that clip. It’s what being a true football supporter is all about - passion, emotion and knowing you’re all as one, team , management and supporters. Also knowing and appreciating quality when you see it. Stats boys take note

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024