Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best goalkeeping display... 12:31 - Sep 9 with 3202 viewsYorkRanger

(or save)....

Reading Clive's summary on Phil Dowd's appointment for the game at Old Trafford reminded me of the great performance by Cerny in the League Cup defeat there. That then left me reflecting on great saves or goalkeeping performances by QPR keepers.

Admittedly these don't stay in the mind as long as the great goals but here are a few offerings (in no particular order):

1. Peter Hucker - FA Cup Final 1982
2. Chris Day - Last minute Oldham play off semi final
3. Paddy Kenny - Tip over the bar , home game v Leicester 1-0 victory (ishmael Miller goal).

Thoughts anyone...(hope this isnt a Spackman...)
The best goalkeeping display... on 12:35 - Sep 9 with 2319 viewsNorthernr

Chris Day made a better save (though not as important) than the Oldham one in a night match at Wrexham. Also had an astonishing game in the wind and rain at Blackpool when we won 1-0 there and Rowlands scored.

Jurgeon Sommer's finest hour v Villa at home was quite something as well.

And Lee Camp's debut at Hartlepool. The one goal they did get followed a triple save!

This post has been edited by an administrator
The best goalkeeping display... on 12:44 - Sep 9 with 2283 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Seaman made a great save in front of the Rangers fans at Old Trafford. It broke in the box and someone (McClair?) lashed it instinctively. It went hard to Seaman's right. We all thought it was in. Unreal save.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best goalkeeping display... on 12:53 - Sep 9 with 2264 viewsdanehoop

Wasn't it Cerny at Anfield that played one the most stunning displays of keeping ever having barely played all season?

Never knowingly understood

The best goalkeeping display... on 12:55 - Sep 9 with 2256 viewspaulparker

Chris Day- Cardiff play off final, a point blank header tipped over the bar , may have been extra time, I honestly thought we would win it then

Paul Jones vs Wolves, 0-0 he pulled of a brilliant double save ball , ball goes a cross the box striker hits it which jones saves, the ball comes out to another wolves player who only has to tap it into an empty net, jones then gets up to tip the rebound round the post,

Jurgen Sommer vs Aston Villa , 96 we won 2-1 or 2-0 but sommer was brilliant that day
best game for us , otherwise he was pretty sh&t

Seamen vs Coventry away late eighties , cov midfielder lets rip with a 35 yard volley which is going into the top corner before spunky tips it round the post, awesome

Seamen vs Arsenal away fa cup, before that replay with sansom & sinton, seamen kept arsenal at bay on his own to help us earn a replay

Chris day vs Stoke, 1st game of the season when in league 2 , 9 new players including Day, we won 1-0 but day and palmer were brilliant in keeping stoke at bay in the 2nd
half

Ceaser against spuds, spurs player hits one from 3o yards which hits the post, adeybour
runs in for the follow up, only for ceaser to stick out a leg and put it over the bar

mentions to day,for Oldham, & paddy for Leicester as well as cerny man yoo away

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:01 - Sep 9 with 2229 viewsWestbourneR

The best goalkeeping display... on 12:35 - Sep 9 by Northernr

Chris Day made a better save (though not as important) than the Oldham one in a night match at Wrexham. Also had an astonishing game in the wind and rain at Blackpool when we won 1-0 there and Rowlands scored.

Jurgeon Sommer's finest hour v Villa at home was quite something as well.

And Lee Camp's debut at Hartlepool. The one goal they did get followed a triple save!

This post has been edited by an administrator

Sommer was awful but that game vs Villa was SPECIAL.

I was sitting low down in Ellerslie and looking at the away end goal, and our defensive wall was obscuring most of the goal. Then Ian Taylor (I think) takes a great free kick and it is bending into the corner only for Sommer to appear flying through the air from behind the wall to tip it over. Amazing sight.

I could have just described it as a great save but it seemed more poetic this way.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:04 - Sep 9 with 2217 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great memory, PP!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:06 - Sep 9 with 2207 viewssmegma

Lee Camps debut at Hartlepool every day. He met the players on the coach up the day before. When it was 1-0 to us he faced a one on one situation and saved the game literally. As Clive also mentioned, his Herculean effort to stop their goal had all of us behind the goal actually applauding him even though he had conceded.
The best goalkeeping display... on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 2148 viewsthemodfather

charlton away....approx 82
john burridge, he was diving one way and spun mid air to save the ball...the itv big match were there and it must be on you tube...even the ref clapped. we won 2-1.

simon royce at derby, he saved a pen and another save where he flipped back and pulled the ball back from the line..we won, gallen scored a late winner.
as said chris day v oldham p/off semi...from THAT header, a real banksy save....
Login to get fewer ads

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:52 - Sep 9 with 2138 viewsNorthernr

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:49 - Sep 9 by themodfather

john burridge, he was diving one way and spun mid air to save the ball...the itv big match were there and it must be on you tube...even the ref clapped. we won 2-1.

simon royce at derby, he saved a pen and another save where he flipped back and pulled the ball back from the line..we won, gallen scored a late winner.
as said chris day v oldham p/off semi...from THAT header, a real banksy save....

I knew there was a Simon Royce one I'd forgotten - Derby it was.
The best goalkeeping display... on 13:53 - Sep 9 with 2137 viewshoops_legend

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:49 - Sep 9 by themodfather

Green vs WBA when he flapped at a weak header and hoped the referee would give a foul against the player jumping near him...

Harsh but worst keeping we have seen...
The best goalkeeping display... on 15:04 - Sep 9 with 2065 viewsSomersetHoops

I used to like Phil Parkes and Jan Stejskal once he had settled in. They were players who seemed to spread confidence. I always prefered Jan between the sticks than Tony Roberts whose high pitched shouts were not confidence building. Paddy Kenny made some good saves and a few blunders, but served us well without generating that confidence.

Its strange that keepers seem to need time to settle in. When Rob Green started with us his pre-season and first few games were very poor, which resulted in the panic buy of Cesar, but once Green had settled he came good.

Who's Next?

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:04 - Sep 9 with 2063 viewsHollowayRanger

seamen tipped over a ian rush headed at school end via a corner

rob green at Wembley near post great reactions

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:07 - Sep 9 with 2058 viewsNorthernr

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:04 - Sep 9 by SomersetHoops

I used to like Phil Parkes and Jan Stejskal once he had settled in. They were players who seemed to spread confidence. I always prefered Jan between the sticks than Tony Roberts whose high pitched shouts were not confidence building. Paddy Kenny made some good saves and a few blunders, but served us well without generating that confidence.

Its strange that keepers seem to need time to settle in. When Rob Green started with us his pre-season and first few games were very poor, which resulted in the panic buy of Cesar, but once Green had settled he came good.

It wasn't just the high-pitched screams. Tony Roberts was also hamstrung by being crap.
The best goalkeeping display... on 15:20 - Sep 9 with 2036 viewspaulparker

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:04 - Sep 9 by SomersetHoops

I remember being there for Big Jans debut against Norwich, we got mullared 3 or 4 -1
shocking doesn't do it justice , the Sun later had a headline in its pull out
DUD CHECH, I think the week later we done Leeds with that wegerle goal but jan was at fault for both Leeds goals
Don Howe then rested him until he spoke the Lingo
he then came back better and I remember we beat Sunderland 3-2 , Falco volley, Gus Ceaser falling over , and Big Jan with a blinding penalty save, Happy days

saying that I was also there for Tony Roberts Debut against Coventry on a freezing cold night in 87
Seamen & Nicky Johns (god he was pony) were injured so up stepped tone, he may have been 16 or 17, I recall big Cyril Regis giving our defence and poor tony a real going over ,
the thing with Roberts was I could never recall a save where he won us a game or got us out the sh*t , I think it sums it up that he became Arsenal GK coach when Almunia was there

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:23 - Sep 9 with 2033 viewsPhilmyRs

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:01 - Sep 9 by WestbourneR

Sommer was awful but that game vs Villa was SPECIAL.

I was sitting low down in Ellerslie and looking at the away end goal, and our defensive wall was obscuring most of the goal. Then Ian Taylor (I think) takes a great free kick and it is bending into the corner only for Sommer to appear flying through the air from behind the wall to tip it over. Amazing sight.

I could have just described it as a great save but it seemed more poetic this way.

Throughout the relegation year we regularly drew or lost games at home we deserved to win. Villa wasn’t one of them. Sommer won us that game with a performance I’ve not seen rivalled by a Ranger’s keeper since. However, one performance doesn’t make a keeper, and Sommer regularly made David James look like an expert on corners. He couldn’t catch a cold…

For all his faults as a Keeper, I remember Tony Roberts putting in a top performance. May have been Swindon at home in the cup but can’t be sure. Again, great shot stopper but accident prone.
The best goalkeeping display... on 15:48 - Sep 9 with 1998 viewswombat

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:06 - Sep 9 by smegma

Lee Camps debut at Hartlepool every day. He met the players on the coach up the day before. When it was 1-0 to us he faced a one on one situation and saved the game literally. As Clive also mentioned, his Herculean effort to stop their goal had all of us behind the goal actually applauding him even though he had conceded.

I remember him turning round to the fans behind the goal saying to calm down it was all under control

john burridge away at Charlton I think did hand stands at half time to warm up for the second half great goal keeper totally mad

Poll: which is your favouite foot

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:49 - Sep 9 with 1996 viewsloftboy

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:20 - Sep 9 by paulparker

I remember being there for Big Jans debut against Norwich, we got mullared 3 or 4 -1
shocking doesn't do it justice , the Sun later had a headline in its pull out
DUD CHECH, I think the week later we done Leeds with that wegerle goal but jan was at fault for both Leeds goals
Don Howe then rested him until he spoke the Lingo
he then came back better and I remember we beat Sunderland 3-2 , Falco volley, Gus Ceaser falling over , and Big Jan with a blinding penalty save, Happy days

saying that I was also there for Tony Roberts Debut against Coventry on a freezing cold night in 87
Seamen & Nicky Johns (god he was pony) were injured so up stepped tone, he may have been 16 or 17, I recall big Cyril Regis giving our defence and poor tony a real going over ,
the thing with Roberts was I could never recall a save where he won us a game or got us out the sh*t , I think it sums it up that he became Arsenal GK coach when Almunia was there

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:55 - Sep 9 with 1983 viewswombat

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:49 - Sep 9 by loftboy

didn't hucker get man of the match in the cup final first leg ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

The best goalkeeping display... on 21:35 - Sep 9 with 1870 viewsYorkRanger

The best goalkeeping display... on 13:06 - Sep 9 by smegma

I always felt sorry for Lee Camp, discarded having been a fine keeper for us during an exceptionally difficult time
The best goalkeeping display... on 21:50 - Sep 9 with 1851 viewsBluce_Ree

Sommer vs Villa.

Green vs Derby. He won us that match as much as Zamora did.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

The best goalkeeping display... on 21:53 - Sep 9 with 1844 viewsted_hendrix

If you want to see a goalkeeping display watch Jan Tomaszewski for Poland against England WC qualifier 1973.

The complete and utter bastard.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The best goalkeeping display... on 21:57 - Sep 9 with 1841 viewsYorkRanger

The best goalkeeping display... on 21:53 - Sep 9 by ted_hendrix

If you want to see a goalkeeping display watch Jan Tomaszewski for Poland against England WC qualifier 1973.

The complete and utter bastard.

Good shout Ted. As we have broadened the criteria...

Krull for Newcastle at Spurs last year was exceptional.
Tim Howard for the USA in the World Cup (v Belgium I think).

But best of all has to be Montgomery for Sunderland in the 73 FACup Final
The best goalkeeping display... on 23:18 - Sep 9 with 1787 viewsmrbiscuits

Relatively recently Paddy Kenny made a fantastic stop from Van Persie in the Diakite Arsenal game a couple of seasons ago.
The best goalkeeping display... on 23:26 - Sep 9 with 1780 viewsqueensparker

Seaman against Liverpool in the late 80s at the School End - shot coming in at pace, Ian Rush deflected it with a header from about 5 yards out and Spunky still tipped it over the bar.

Pretty sure that one was on the opening credits of Match of the Day or something at the time.

Too young for Phil Parkes, so Seaman is still the best keeper I've seen at Rangers by miles. At his peak you could relax during any attack knowing he'd probably save it
The best goalkeeping display... on 00:21 - Sep 10 with 1755 viewsHollowayRanger

The best goalkeeping display... on 23:26 - Sep 9 by queensparker

Seaman against Liverpool in the late 80s at the School End - shot coming in at pace, Ian Rush deflected it with a header from about 5 yards out and Spunky still tipped it over the bar.

Pretty sure that one was on the opening credits of Match of the Day or something at the time.

Too young for Phil Parkes, so Seaman is still the best keeper I've seen at Rangers by miles. At his peak you could relax during any attack knowing he'd probably save it

im sure that's the same seamen v rush one as I mentioned earlier thought it was from a corner but bow to your memory

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024