Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your very first gig 08:34 - Dec 18 with 15841 viewsMonahoop

Keeping in tune with the recent spate of great music threads here, what was was your very first gig you went to. This does not include watching your fellow spotty teenage mates' band playing ' Wild Thing' and the like in a local Sally Ann hall or such venue.

Mine:- Slade at Brighton's old Goldstone ground in the summer of 1975. I was 14 at the time. They were so loud they nearly shook that place off its foundations. No wonder it began to fall down gradually afterwards.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Your very first gig on 11:27 - Dec 18 with 2884 viewsSimonJames

Uk Subs - 1980 (Cambridge Corn Exchange)
I nearly got to see them in 1977 at The Roxy, but my parents found out where we were going and decided that it was inappropriate for a 13 year old.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Your very first gig on 11:37 - Dec 18 with 2871 viewsstowmarketrange

Slade at Earl's Court in 1973,and I was 12.They were supported by Alex Harvey.Latest was Stereophonics at the O2 on Wednesday.
Your very first gig on 11:39 - Dec 18 with 2870 viewsTheBlob

Your very first gig on 11:22 - Dec 18 by Juzzie

I suppose it would be my Dad's band (Skin Alley) at The Roundhouse when I was about 5.
I just about remember being there and seeing this huge cardboard mouse wheeled on stage.
I have no memory of it and was probably asleep!

My first proper gig was Ian Drury & The Blockheads at the Hammersmith Odeon when I was about 11/12 years old.

Good lord,I remember Skin Alley..
They were on a sampler album wot I bought as well.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Your very first gig on 11:46 - Dec 18 with 2861 viewsmarky67

level 42 at the brixton academy in 1982, went with a few mates from school.
Your very first gig on 11:52 - Dec 18 with 2857 viewsM40R

Wot a great thread!

Aerosmith at the Hammy Odeon in about Dec 1976. They'd just released their best ever album, "Rocks" so had great material.

Looking back though, it spoilt things for later gigs, as they were very tight and lean: no drum solos, no long songs, and no "hiya London" chats between songs. In fact no gaps at all and it was all over after barely an hour.
Your very first gig on 11:59 - Dec 18 with 2851 viewsngbqpr

Buzzcocks at Hammy Odeon, 31/3/79 - my 15th birthday (equal best birthday with the Chelsea 6-0 in 86)

Next one was Undertones at Lyceum 20/5/79 - first gig at a standing venue, naively stood next to speaker stacks all night, had tinnitus ever since...

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Your very first gig on 12:01 - Dec 18 with 2842 viewsWokingham_r

Rolling Stones
South Harrow British Legion Hall
Your very first gig on 12:09 - Dec 18 with 2835 viewsJuzzie

Your very first gig on 11:39 - Dec 18 by TheBlob

Good lord,I remember Skin Alley..
They were on a sampler album wot I bought as well.

This is my dad at the bottom of another album of theirs, Skin Tight.

Have you heard of a early 60's band called Tony Knight's Chessmen? Well, Tony Knight is my Dad! Knight was a stage name.

Login to get fewer ads

Your very first gig on 12:28 - Dec 18 with 2811 viewsJamie

Pitchshifter who a few of the rockers may remember.
Your very first gig on 12:30 - Dec 18 with 2808 viewsBluce_Ree

First one that I went to was some Marillion bullsh*t but that was sort of a school trip thing.

First ones that I went to by choice were:

The Mission - Wembley Arena 1988
Metallica - Wembley Arena - around 1989 I think. Justice tour.
The Cure - outdoor gig in Crystal Palace. 1990.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Your very first gig on 12:35 - Dec 18 with 2803 viewsEastR

New Order @ St Francis Xavier Hall Dublin 26/4/1983

all 39 mins of it!

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Your very first gig on 12:36 - Dec 18 with 2801 viewsTheBlob

Just a couple of years before my time Juzzie although I do remember seeing their name on the gig guide in the Melody Maker.Alley were stalwarts of the early rock circuit,contemporary of Savoy Brown and the early Jethro Tull.
Is your dad still with us?Give him my best if so.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 12:43]

Your very first gig on 12:39 - Dec 18 with 2797 viewsDiscodroids

Having read through this thread id like to change mine if thats ok.

I was there at the time the seed was planted for House music as we know it in Chicago at the Paradise garage in 1982. Bored with studio 54 and wiping bianca jaggers horses arse, I used to carry larry levans record case for him.

I was Also with paul oakenfold ,nicky holloway and Danny rampling on the road to damascus pilgrImage to ibiza in 1987 which has passed into dance music folklore..

i was entrusted with carrying (and charging) oakenfolds hair straightners . The embyonic strands of house were much like the strands of oakenfolds mullet back then ..lush healthy, innocent , untainted with football casuals controlling the doors and the drugs sold within and untouched by split ends.

we stayed at alfredo's hacienda , under the stars and playing indigenous wood wind instruments to led zeps 'baby im gonna leave you' with the beautiful people and cool hip cats.....martin fry, micheal clarke, siouse sioux ,timothy leary, Malcolm mclaren, boy george , Brian Eno the organ player from sparks and the bloke from the club biscuit ads.

I even bought jim morrissons original beads from the 'love street' video

we lived on fruits , berries and oakenfolds ego..we never went hungry.

Oh, and it was me, not steve strange who started up 'The Blitz' Club and thus appeared on Bowies 'ashes to ashes' video.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 12:45]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Your very first gig on 12:43 - Dec 18 with 2778 viewsjohncharles

Mae Mercer backed by the Artwoods.
Some little place in Chester in 1964/5. Growing up in North Wales most of the bands I saw were semi-pro. I was still at school and we had a blues band going. We were SERIOUS about the blues.I know I got a bollocking for getting home in the early hours of the morning.

Strong and stable my arse.

Your very first gig on 12:46 - Dec 18 with 2770 viewsRanger78

Ocean Colour Scene at Brixton 97ish.
Your very first gig on 12:47 - Dec 18 with 2344 viewswhiffer

Another shout for Level 42. 1980 at the Locarno in Bristol, now the O2 Academy where strangely I went back to last year for the first time to watch the Stranglers.
Your very first gig on 12:47 - Dec 18 with 2342 viewsTheBlob

Your very first gig on 12:43 - Dec 18 by johncharles

Mae Mercer backed by the Artwoods.
Some little place in Chester in 1964/5. Growing up in North Wales most of the bands I saw were semi-pro. I was still at school and we had a blues band going. We were SERIOUS about the blues.I know I got a bollocking for getting home in the early hours of the morning.

Keef Hartley?

Your very first gig on 12:48 - Dec 18 with 2342 viewsqueensparker

Happy Mondays at Wembley Arena in 1990. Main thing I remember is the whole crowd were wearing James T-shirts and Wembley Arena is a crap venue.

They're replaying the same gigs this year as part of a 25 year anniversary, which makes me feel very old indeed.
Your very first gig on 12:52 - Dec 18 with 2328 viewsDiscodroids

I just missed out on hendrix setting his guitar alight in 1967 as i was caught up in a Quaalude fuelled menage trois(supplied by spanish tony the stones dealer) with long john baldry and patti smith.

i did see johns children in hamburg in 1970 though , Lonnie donagan stood in for mark bolan that night.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 12:56]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Your very first gig on 12:56 - Dec 18 with 2320 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've thought about this since yesterday and I still have no idea.

My parents had a hotel and club so I grew up listening to music. I've no idea, though, what my first gig as a paying punter was. It would be cool to say Rory Gallagher but more than likely it was a flavour-of-the-week indie band.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your very first gig on 13:01 - Dec 18 with 2313 viewssupahoopsa

The Jam in Brighton, the Beat Surrender tour, September 1982

Then at Wembly, Guildford and their final gig also in Brighton in December '82

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Your very first gig on 13:06 - Dec 18 with 2296 viewsbillericaydicky

The Skids - Marquee around 1979.

Albert Tatlock!
Your very first gig on 13:10 - Dec 18 with 2290 viewsWokingR

Your very first gig on 10:03 - Dec 18 by BlackCrowe

sweet jesus - I wish mine was as credible.

Saxon (Wheels of Steel tour) at the Rainbow c.1980.

If you think you've got problems, mine was Showaddywaddy
Your very first gig on 13:13 - Dec 18 with 2280 viewsjohncharles

Your very first gig on 12:47 - Dec 18 by TheBlob

Keef Hartley?

And Jon lord

Strong and stable my arse.

Your very first gig on 13:52 - Dec 18 with 2253 viewsBluce_Ree

Your very first gig on 12:28 - Dec 18 by Jamie

Pitchshifter who a few of the rockers may remember.

Top band!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024