Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1986 and The Game That Never Was 00:11 - Feb 28 with 6756 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not for the squeamish, but and you may despair of Smith even more than before, but interesting nonetheless...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/feb/27/the-forgotten-story-of-oxford-

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 00:27 - Feb 28 with 5231 viewsHollowayRanger

A mate videod the game for me never watched it ,might have to find a copy just to remember how bad we were

was behind our goal and screaming near post near post to barron who left a gap the size of a bus for the first goal

only the sub Leroy played with any pride

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 00:29 - Feb 28 with 5229 viewsAndyB

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 00:46 - Feb 28 with 5200 viewsdistortR

What is this, Irishman's revenge?
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 05:53 - Feb 28 with 5095 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 00:27 - Feb 28 by HollowayRanger

A mate videod the game for me never watched it ,might have to find a copy just to remember how bad we were

was behind our goal and screaming near post near post to barron who left a gap the size of a bus for the first goal

only the sub Leroy played with any pride

I've never watched it since walking out of the stadium. I can't even picture the goals. The article really makes Smith look bad, though. Even worse than I remembered.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 07:21 - Feb 28 with 5045 viewsDWQPR

Sorry, what is thread about?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 07:45 - Feb 28 with 5014 viewsdixiedean

I was faced with the worst possible dilemma of playing in a cup final or going to Wembley as our league had cunningly arranged our final for the same afternoon at Feltham Arena . After much agonising I chose to play. What a wise choice . To this day I've never watched the Oxford game and I've been atevery other game we've played at Wembley from 67 .oxford fans still sing about 86 even today
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 08:10 - Feb 28 with 4980 viewsMrSheen

The game that should never be mentioned. I was at college there, six weeks from my finals, but I was so depressed and humiliated that I couldn't go back for days. Even when I tried to exorcise the experience by going to the Manor in the hope of seeing Everton relegate them, the jammy b*stards won in the last minute after getting battered all game.

Years later, Maurice Evans tried to make it up to us bringing a lad he was representing to us for a trial. Still, when you've got Mike Sheron coming, why would you need Paulo Wanchope?
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 08:12 - Feb 28 with 4977 viewsdanehoop

I was there. I was working as a steward. I was never so disappointed to not be able to leave early with most of our support before the end - most did believe me.

Only positive, if there was any was that I got paid. It didn't feel positive. Never been so gutted as I was absolutely thrilled to be stewarding my own team and was wearing a Rangers scarf under my jacket. Strictly forbidden to have such things when stewarding for obvious reasons, my plan was to just wear it and go bollicks to them when we inevitably won.

Didn't need to worry about going out in a blaze of glory as it was clear as day how shite we were within 10 mins.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 08:39 - Feb 28 with 4928 viewsToast_R

Ray Houghton was on Fantasy Football on Sky yesterday morning and they showed all the goals from this match. It was like re-visiting a nightmare. That first goal was and is still an absolute disgrace. 30 years ago, wow I feel old.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 08:45 - Feb 28 with 4912 viewsPunteR

I was 10. Midway through the game I got off my sofa and decided to play on my BMX outside instead.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 08:52 - Feb 28 with 4899 viewsRangersDave

Hmmmmm, I remember it well unfortunately.

Was there on the day literally bleeding from a hole in my right shoe sole that went through the skin and into the bone I subsequently found later.

So at least I gave blood for the team that day, even if they didn't for me!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:14 - Feb 28 with 4863 viewsRSoul

I was 6, part of me died that day. I was there, still hurts. Later on, when the missus asks " Why am I so p@@@ed off?" What do I say? They never understand, do they? 30 years of hurt. I don't remember any of the match, just the pre match excitement. Beating the scum and the best team at the time AAARRRGGHHHH!!!! Gonna lie down.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:19 - Feb 28 with 4843 viewspaulparker

I'm surprised Gregory never sacked smith over that
Went to pretty much every game on route to the final , Watford , both forest games(floodlight failure) Chelsea, and Liverpool, typical QPR we beat all of those teams but do that against Oxford,
I missed the first goal by Hubbard as right behind me was the mother of all offs with some poor sod getting it in the head with a flag pole
Awful day all round , was told to Fcuk off by Jimmy greaves outside the QPR end as well , my mum had recorded the game and put it on when I got home, I've always hated Jim rosenthal and Oxford since

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:58 - Feb 28 with 4717 viewsTacticalR

The whole article is all about Oxford and nothing about us.

We know from the Open All Rs interview with John Byrne that the players themselves felt all wrong on the day and never got going.

Air hostess clique

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 12:46 - Feb 28 with 4675 viewskomradkirk

spared the heartache of that final by having my kneecap smashed and being in plaster....every cloud and all that.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 13:48 - Feb 28 with 4619 viewsloftboy

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:19 - Feb 28 by paulparker

Went to pretty much every game on route to the final , Watford , both forest games(floodlight failure) Chelsea, and Liverpool, typical QPR we beat all of those teams but do that against Oxford,
I missed the first goal by Hubbard as right behind me was the mother of all offs with some poor sod getting it in the head with a flag pole
Awful day all round , was told to Fcuk off by Jimmy greaves outside the QPR end as well , my mum had recorded the game and put it on when I got home, I've always hated Jim rosenthal and Oxford since

Thank god for that, I told stories about the oxford fan getting a flagpole. Rammed in his head for years, no.one ever believes me,was a few yards to the left of it.
Worst thing about Jim smith was the week or so before,we played oxford in the league at the manor, both Gavins made their debuts and flash walker scored a rare goal in a3-3 draw,anyhow smith came out the tunnel with a yellow hanky in his top pocket on view and waved at three sides of the ground ignoring the away end,iwanted him sacked there and then, I reckon he lost us that final.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:08 - Feb 28 with 4589 viewsLblock

PP... I must've been literally feet away from you.
That flagpole incident still sticks in my mind as it happened about 10 foot to the right of where we were all standing.
The only positive to come out of that day was a mate of mine actually saving my life outside the match afterwards, I was drunk (even at that tender age) and hadn't looked as I crossed the road, he held me back and the wing mirror of the bus caressed my mane of hair that i had back then.

At east OBZ exercised the Wembley demons in a small matter of the richest game in the world many, many, many years later

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:08 - Feb 28 with 4589 viewsTacticalR

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 07:21 - Feb 28 by DWQPR

Sorry, what is thread about?

Air hostess clique

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:18 - Feb 28 with 4575 viewsBlackCrowe

I was on a kibbutz for this. thank fck.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:54 - Feb 28 with 4537 viewsHayesender

I was just to the left of the flagpole incident. I always thought it was rangers v rangers?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 15:01 - Feb 28 with 4525 viewsenfieldargh

Jimmy Greaves told me to feck off at Calais hover port once.

I've also been told to feck off by Tommy Doc at the London 5 a sides but at least he added the word son at the end of the 2 worded sentance

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 15:28 - Feb 28 with 4497 viewsloftboy

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:54 - Feb 28 by Hayesender

I was just to the left of the flagpole incident. I always thought it was rangers v rangers?

No I was the one oxford fan in our end who decided.to wave his flag, it was promptly inserted where we offer to put the blue flag!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 15:57 - Feb 28 with 4453 viewsdistortR

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:54 - Feb 28 by Hayesender

i wasn't far away from that either, did the march there and then sloped back. There was a lot of rangers v rangers that day. Always believed smith wanted them to win.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 16:29 - Feb 28 with 4414 viewseghamranger

I went with 3 mates, was in the Oxford end with a Rangers top on. Put a jumper on to cover it, then we lost. I was 16 then, dad got the tickets and mugged me right off
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 16:33 - Feb 28 with 4413 viewsHayesender

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 15:57 - Feb 28 by distortR

i wasn't far away from that either, did the march there and then sloped back. There was a lot of rangers v rangers that day. Always believed smith wanted them to win.

We also walked there from the Goldsmiths.

Stooped en route outside wormwood scrubs to sing "we're going to Wembley, we're going to Wembley, you're not"

Looking back, that was the highlight of the day. A few cans of long life and the result meant I didn't go to school the next day

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024