Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latimer Road 02:31 - Jun 14 with 95837 viewsstowmarketrange

A big fire in a tower block in Latimer Road just been reported on 5live.Eyewitness says there are people trapped on the upper floors.
I hope everyone gets out safely.
Latimer Road on 12:00 - Jun 28 with 2984 viewsdaveB

Latimer Road on 14:53 - Jun 26 by johncharles

Just heard on the news that one of the Camden (evacuated) tower blocks has taken delivery of 300 fire check doors and closers. Didn't get the details Does this mean the FC doors were not up to standard ? Or not fitted in the first place ??
Worrying.

Mate of mine used to live on the estate in Camden which has been evacuated, she still has friends there and told me the fire doors were never put in which is why they had to empty the block quickly rather than anything to do with the cladding.
Latimer Road on 13:58 - Jun 28 with 2874 viewsJuzzie

I lived in the Borough of Camden for 15 years and they're cnts. They may have responded to this quickly (looks good) but possibly because they've been remiss in the first place.

Hearing residents from Grenfell saying how they were ignored time and time again and ended up having to organise protests to gets things done. No different with Camden, dealing with them was a pain and talking to a brick wall was often more productive.

Even when they do communicate, I have no faith in what they say. One Leaseholder's meeting circa 2002 where works were being done on our property to the tune of £14,500 per Leaseholder, one person asked "The Section 20 states a fixed invoice of £14,500, what if these costs rise because things need to be done that weren't picked up during the surveys done by all the tenders?" - "you will not be billed extra, we would cover those unforeseen costs".

18 months later, bill comes in at £21,500 due to "extra unforeseen costs during the works" (including extra costs for scaffolding that were up longer than planned - not our problem and a large brick wall that had to be knocked down again and rebuilt as the site Manager said the original rebuild wasn't good enough - again, not our problem)

Any recollection of that conversation in 2002 was denied. Lesson learned: record the meeting.

Bustards.

[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 14:00]
Latimer Road on 23:23 - Jun 28 with 2764 viewsBrightonhoop

Increasigly smacks of a cover up.

Harrowing details still emerging, a mother with a dead baby in her arms, both dead, and another daughter 10 years old found on the floor/stairwell above, dying alone like that. Cant imagine the panic.
Latimer Road on 23:41 - Jun 28 with 2745 viewsjohncharles

Latimer Road on 12:00 - Jun 28 by daveB

Mate of mine used to live on the estate in Camden which has been evacuated, she still has friends there and told me the fire doors were never put in which is why they had to empty the block quickly rather than anything to do with the cladding.

All plywood faced doors look the same but the persons fitting them would know immediately whether they were FC doors or not. (By the weight and the thickness and the fittings) The workmen could not have made a mistake. Either the Company doing the work switched the doors or the council specified the wrong doors.
There's no mistake here, there's crookery

Strong and stable my arse.

Latimer Road on 00:02 - Jun 29 with 2735 viewsBrightonhoop

Are the fire doors connected to the alarm system? Worked in a few Registered Homes for disabled etc and sometimes the alarms would trip and sometimes the magnetic openers would release and close all fire doors by hydraulic systems and the full on Fire Brigade would turn up.

Big difference between ly and fire doors. Usually in case someone over fried the bacon.

Absolutely tragic that it occured from a dodgy Hotpoint fridge.
Latimer Road on 22:50 - Jun 29 with 2560 viewsTacticalR

Kensington and Chelsea council tried to hold the first meeting to discuss Grenfell in secret, but were forced to allow the press in after a court application by the press.

Judge orders council to allow media into Grenfell Tower meeting
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/29/grenfell-survivors-barred-from-c

Air hostess clique

Latimer Road on 22:54 - Jun 29 with 2547 viewsdistortR

note to northern, fear i inadvertently reported someone for abuse on this thread, apologies if i did.
Latimer Road on 23:09 - Jun 29 with 2533 viewsNortholt_Rs

Latimer Road on 22:50 - Jun 29 by TacticalR

Kensington and Chelsea council tried to hold the first meeting to discuss Grenfell in secret, but were forced to allow the press in after a court application by the press.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/29/grenfell-survivors-barred-from-c

RBKC are an obscenity. How Paget-Brown has survived is a complete mystery to me.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Login to get fewer ads

Latimer Road on 23:14 - Jun 29 with 2523 viewsNorthernr

Latimer Road on 22:50 - Jun 29 by TacticalR

Having been forced to allow the press in he then read a statement saying he couldn't go on with the meeting because it would prejudice the public enquiry. No jury in a public enquiry of course, so that's absolute nonsense - you can't prejudice a fcking judge, that's what they're there for.
Latimer Road on 01:19 - Jun 30 with 2467 viewsBrightonhoop

Latimer Road on 23:14 - Jun 29 by Northernr

Having been forced to allow the press in he then read a statement saying he couldn't go on with the meeting because it would prejudice the public enquiry. No jury in a public enquiry of course, so that's absolute nonsense - you can't prejudice a fcking judge, that's what they're there for.

Cowards. To a man. Disgraceful.
Latimer Road on 10:16 - Jun 30 with 2376 viewsGloryHunter

Latimer Road on 00:02 - Jun 29 by Brightonhoop

Are the fire doors connected to the alarm system? Worked in a few Registered Homes for disabled etc and sometimes the alarms would trip and sometimes the magnetic openers would release and close all fire doors by hydraulic systems and the full on Fire Brigade would turn up.

Big difference between ly and fire doors. Usually in case someone over fried the bacon.

Absolutely tragic that it occured from a dodgy Hotpoint fridge.

I'm astonished that a fridge fire could produce enough heat to ignite the insulation and cladding on the outside of the building. Surely there must have been another factor, such as a gas leak?
Latimer Road on 10:23 - Jun 30 with 2361 viewslondonscottish

Latimer Road on 10:16 - Jun 30 by GloryHunter

I'm astonished that a fridge fire could produce enough heat to ignite the insulation and cladding on the outside of the building. Surely there must have been another factor, such as a gas leak?

I think some of them have (flamable) plastic covers on the back. If that caught and the window was open (hot weather) then off it goes......

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Latimer Road on 17:15 - Jun 30 with 2169 viewsjohncharles

The fire spread on the outside of the building. People were alive and trapped in their flats on the upper floors whilst the outside was ablaze. There might have been other factors but the cladding is the main culprit.

Latimer Road on 17:29 - Jun 30 with 2153 views2Thomas2Bowles

Kensington and Chelsea Council leader Nick Paget-Brown resigns

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Latimer Road on 18:06 - Jun 30 with 2116 viewsNortholt_Rs

Latimer Road on 17:29 - Jun 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Kensington and Chelsea Council leader Nick Paget-Brown resigns

No apology and he referred to 'perceived' failings of the council. The man is an A grade C.U.N.T.

Latimer Road on 18:07 - Jun 30 with 2112 viewsNortholt_Rs

Latimer Road on 18:06 - Jun 30 by Northolt_Rs

No apology and he referred to 'perceived' failings of the council. The man is an A grade C.U.N.T.

Fielding-Meller and Black gone too.... rightly so too.

Latimer Road on 18:46 - Jun 30 with 2068 viewsdanehoop

Latimer Road on 18:07 - Jun 30 by Northolt_Rs

Fielding-Meller and Black gone too.... rightly so too.

wonder what their farewell financial packages will be? Cant think that any of them will leave without a payoff.

Wonder too if they know that any inquiry is likely to focus on their actions in cutting costs at expense of safety impact.

Never knowingly understood

Latimer Road on 18:54 - Jun 30 with 2060 viewsjohncharles

Resign my arse. Let's see him arrested before he shifts his payoff off shore

Latimer Road on 20:52 - Jun 30 with 1990 viewscolinallcars

Presumably he's resigned as leader of the council but is still a councillor. I read something about a year ago regarding councillors on K&H although maybe true of other councils, they receive a fairly small allowance but can massively increase their income by sitting on committees that sit for just a few hours a month. Some were earning more than cabinet ministers.
Latimer Road on 21:41 - Jun 30 with 1950 viewsAgedR

Generally speaking councillors don't earn very much at all. There might be a bit extra if they chair cabinet committees, but, not fortunes by any means.

The senior officers (CEO and Directors) will be pretty well paid though (150-200k I'd guess).

I'm not over familiar with K&C, but, some councils, often in London, are very much officer rather than politician led. Regardless, the CEO and Director and AD responsible for housing should be toast. I know the CEO resigned, but, only after being dragged out of his post kicking and screaming by the Sec of State, which, frankly, is a dishonourable disgrace.

K&C were up until recently part of a "super" tri-borough council with Westminster and Hammersmith & Fulham. It is therefore highly likely that the other two boroughs will have shared the same housing officers.

Supposed to make massive savings this shared councils lark. However, the low hanging fruit went a long long time ago and, after rounds and rounds of cuts more heavy than any other part of central government, they are now cutting in to the bone.

Local councils hold together the social fabric of local communities. Irrespective of whether this tragedy can be directly linked to the deliberate destruction of local government, there are and will continue to be disastrous consequences of this policy.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Latimer Road on 22:06 - Jun 30 with 1926 viewscolinallcars

Latimer Road on 21:41 - Jun 30 by AgedR

Generally speaking councillors don't earn very much at all. There might be a bit extra if they chair cabinet committees, but, not fortunes by any means.

The senior officers (CEO and Directors) will be pretty well paid though (150-200k I'd guess).

I'm not over familiar with K&C, but, some councils, often in London, are very much officer rather than politician led. Regardless, the CEO and Director and AD responsible for housing should be toast. I know the CEO resigned, but, only after being dragged out of his post kicking and screaming by the Sec of State, which, frankly, is a dishonourable disgrace.

K&C were up until recently part of a "super" tri-borough council with Westminster and Hammersmith & Fulham. It is therefore highly likely that the other two boroughs will have shared the same housing officers.

Supposed to make massive savings this shared councils lark. However, the low hanging fruit went a long long time ago and, after rounds and rounds of cuts more heavy than any other part of central government, they are now cutting in to the bone.

Local councils hold together the social fabric of local communities. Irrespective of whether this tragedy can be directly linked to the deliberate destruction of local government, there are and will continue to be disastrous consequences of this policy.

When Hammersmith went Labout it scuppered the plans of the tri-borough who wanted to embark on social cleansing. There were some savings brought about by sharing services but said services were poor.
I remember donkey's years ago the Tories wanted to sell off Ravenscourt Park for posh housing but were thwarted by local opposition. Nothing changes does it ?
Latimer Road on 23:27 - Jun 30 with 1850 viewsLblock

Can I just say... there seems to be a general open season on RBK&C and how shit they are

Now I'm as blue as a clear summer sky but I would just like to say there's plenty of bloody hard working people on that Council. Normal joes just like all of us who do their jobs to the absolute best of their abilities and actually care. People at the top carry the can; sometimes they're wrong uns sometimes they're fall guys. Much the same as councils are like any other business with their fair share of blaggers etc
But. There's plenty of RBKC workers who have given up their time and properly care. A few such adorn this here message board and have told me really eye popping and harrowing stories that I will not repeat out of respect

Think on before the blanket criticism

As you were..

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Latimer Road on 23:49 - Jun 30 with 1834 viewsShotKneesHoop

Latimer Road on 23:27 - Jun 30 by Lblock

Can I just say... there seems to be a general open season on RBK&C and how shit they are

Now I'm as blue as a clear summer sky but I would just like to say there's plenty of bloody hard working people on that Council. Normal joes just like all of us who do their jobs to the absolute best of their abilities and actually care. People at the top carry the can; sometimes they're wrong uns sometimes they're fall guys. Much the same as councils are like any other business with their fair share of blaggers etc
But. There's plenty of RBKC workers who have given up their time and properly care. A few such adorn this here message board and have told me really eye popping and harrowing stories that I will not repeat out of respect

Think on before the blanket criticism

As you were..

"People at the top carry the can."

Do they bollox.

James Murdoch.

Rebekah Brooks.

The FA.

FIFA

Tony Blair

Boris Johnson

They get away with murder.

Wih a rush and a push - the land that we stand on is ours, it has been before and it shall be again...

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Latimer Road on 23:51 - Jun 30 with 1833 viewsShotKneesHoop

Latimer Road on 23:49 - Jun 30 by ShotKneesHoop

"People at the top carry the can."

Do they bollox.

James Murdoch.

Rebekah Brooks.

The FA.

FIFA

Tony Blair

Boris Johnson

They get away with murder.

Wih a rush and a push - the land that we stand on is ours, it has been before and it shall be again...

I left out Philip Green, Mike Ashton and 'Arry Redknobb.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Latimer Road on 01:08 - Jul 1 with 1816 viewskensalriser

Latimer Road on 20:52 - Jun 30 by colinallcars

Presumably he's resigned as leader of the council but is still a councillor. I read something about a year ago regarding councillors on K&H although maybe true of other councils, they receive a fairly small allowance but can massively increase their income by sitting on committees that sit for just a few hours a month. Some were earning more than cabinet ministers.

£55k allowance for the leader of RBKC.

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/who-we-are/about-us/financial-information/leade

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024