Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worrying 12:33 - Jul 21 with 10318 viewsflynnbo

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/sylla-left-qpr-squad-germany-trip
Worrying on 16:52 - Jul 21 with 1957 viewsDejR_vu

Worrying on 16:26 - Jul 21 by daveB

I think if you listen to the interview it's quite clear what he was saying. Put that quote on it's own with no context and he looks an idiot

He should know what's sensible to say and what's not. He shouldn't be relying on people researching and listening to a whole interview to make up their own minds. He should know that when he starts talking about bombs going off and people not knowing what's going on in the background that it's going to cause a stir. I can just see the media team collectively slapping their foreheads when he comes out with this nonsense. Of course the fans are going to pick up on this type of stuff, what does anyone expect? They're not the ones who should be criticised.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 17:12]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Worrying on 16:58 - Jul 21 with 1930 viewsdaveB

Worrying on 16:52 - Jul 21 by DejR_vu

He should know what's sensible to say and what's not. He shouldn't be relying on people researching and listening to a whole interview to make up their own minds. He should know that when he starts talking about bombs going off and people not knowing what's going on in the background that it's going to cause a stir. I can just see the media team collectively slapping their foreheads when he comes out with this nonsense. Of course the fans are going to pick up on this type of stuff, what does anyone expect? They're not the ones who should be criticised.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 17:12]

but when you listen to what he says it is pretty sensible.

It would be like me taking your post but only reading the words Slapping their foreheads and asking you what you are on about, it makes no sense out of context.

Get west London sport did a marvelous job of taking one sentence out of 5 minutes worth and making a story out of it that upset everyone and seen Holloway be blamed for something out of his control
Worrying on 17:10 - Jul 21 with 1899 viewsdavman

Worrying on 15:31 - Jul 21 by vegasranger

I'm not sure you can say Poulter wasn't given a chance. He played around 50 games, which surely is enough to see if he is Championship level? Sylla cost between 1 - 2 million euros. Not that much for a decent striker but I have to say I was disappointed in his ability when I first saw him. Supposedly we had been tracking him for awhile and of course it took to the end of August to snare him. Certainly knows where the goal is a would keep over Yenni. I can't work out what he brings to the team.

I think Polter did have a chance and I thought he had developed into a better player last season just before we sold him. Yes, we made a profit, but I think that there was more to come from Polter.

Jury is out on Smith for me. Yes, comparatively he is good value at the price we allegedly paid, but I worry about the way we play when he is there. It wouldn't be a problem if we had someone who could read those flicks and burst through a defence, but we don't. Maybe he will prove his worth if we get someone like that up front, or Grego-Cox or Eze can develop that skill. Conor certainly doesn't seem to have that in his locker just yet...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Worrying on 17:11 - Jul 21 with 1898 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, that was an interesting five-minute read.

Sylla's off, but he's not. Everybody's still depressed, Shodipo is now British rather than Irish (Clive - tut, tut, tut ) and Hall has tendonitis, which is damn worrying.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Worrying on 17:11 - Jul 21 with 1897 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Worrying on 16:06 - Jul 21 by DejR_vu

Said it before. Maybe a good place to start would be to accept that the fans are individuals and have different opinions, and therefore it's obvious that some will be happy in any given situation and others will be unhappy.

I can't believe our fans are generally any different from fans of other clubs. Why would that be the case, it would be illogical? Fans tend to react to situations, and our fans are reacting to what the club does. Bircham says they want to get the transfer business done early, it doesn't happen and fans react. Holloway comes out and says he needs to sell to buy, Sylla is left out of a tour squad without explanation, fans that don't want to see Sylla go react.

Moral of the story? This is the 21st century, the era of social media. Keep people informed and only let people you can trust not to say the wrong thing talk to the media.

I do kind of agree with a lot of this although I don't think it's that easy for the club to predict what the fans response to comments will be. Also I do feel that we as fans overreact most of the time, especially on social media. Probably no more than most clubs of our size but that's no excuse.

Back on topic, I don't think it would be any great loss to transfer Sylla. He's not my type of player at all. I do hope he goes on to have a cracking season for us but at this point he'd be top of my 'to sell' list too. No idea who I'd replace him with though!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Worrying on 17:19 - Jul 21 with 1856 viewsBrightonhoop

Worrying on 17:11 - Jul 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

I do kind of agree with a lot of this although I don't think it's that easy for the club to predict what the fans response to comments will be. Also I do feel that we as fans overreact most of the time, especially on social media. Probably no more than most clubs of our size but that's no excuse.

Back on topic, I don't think it would be any great loss to transfer Sylla. He's not my type of player at all. I do hope he goes on to have a cracking season for us but at this point he'd be top of my 'to sell' list too. No idea who I'd replace him with though!

Thats the potential problem of selling Syllah, you wont get much for him so who do you replace with him with? Given he scored 10 last time out it's very high risk to out him at this stage. And with such a weak squad.
Worrying on 17:51 - Jul 21 with 1787 viewsDejR_vu

Worrying on 16:58 - Jul 21 by daveB

but when you listen to what he says it is pretty sensible.

It would be like me taking your post but only reading the words Slapping their foreheads and asking you what you are on about, it makes no sense out of context.

Get west London sport did a marvelous job of taking one sentence out of 5 minutes worth and making a story out of it that upset everyone and seen Holloway be blamed for something out of his control

Dave, you're missing my point. He should know that things can be taken out of context, and some outlets will positively look to do so, so should act accordingly. This isn't a sentence that's been cut, twisted and re-engineered. He's said these things. They are direct quotes. Anyone with an ounce of common sense must appreciate that when they talk about 'things the supporters don't know' and 'bombs going off' when we are waiting for an overdue FFP ruling, the fans are likely to put two and two together. The media team have had to put out a very carefully crafted article to set the record straight for goodness sake.

I appreciate, in itself, it's just one issue but I happen to think it's indicative of a far bigger issue.

Anyway, let's just agree to differ.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Worrying on 18:12 - Jul 21 with 1743 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Worrying on 17:51 - Jul 21 by DejR_vu

Dave, you're missing my point. He should know that things can be taken out of context, and some outlets will positively look to do so, so should act accordingly. This isn't a sentence that's been cut, twisted and re-engineered. He's said these things. They are direct quotes. Anyone with an ounce of common sense must appreciate that when they talk about 'things the supporters don't know' and 'bombs going off' when we are waiting for an overdue FFP ruling, the fans are likely to put two and two together. The media team have had to put out a very carefully crafted article to set the record straight for goodness sake.

I appreciate, in itself, it's just one issue but I happen to think it's indicative of a far bigger issue.

I agree with you on this.

There's no doubt that that rag twisted the comments, there's no doubt that many of us are over-anxious at the moment but your point is bang on: Holloway (as much as he's one of us and as much as we need characters and honesty) really has to reflect on this and maybe adjust. It's not a huge issue, but there was an issue this week. For no reason.

By the way, nice job by Ferdinand/Hoos/PR team/whoever - someone had a word with Holloway and between them they've diffused this today.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Worrying on 18:16 - Jul 21 with 1735 viewsToast_R

I get the feeling Holloway is a man out of his time now. The Smith signing, long ball madness and the constant need to talk too much covering up the short comings on the pitch. The Singling out of Sylla and the comments from Bircham - bordering on xenophobia. And when your doing that and saying this and the team get worse and worse, maybe the problem isn't them. Maybe Holloway needs to look closer to home. Its been a terrible start for him and there is little to convince me that things can improve.
Worrying on 19:06 - Jul 21 with 1664 viewshoopdog

Worrying on 18:16 - Jul 21 by Toast_R

I get the feeling Holloway is a man out of his time now. The Smith signing, long ball madness and the constant need to talk too much covering up the short comings on the pitch. The Singling out of Sylla and the comments from Bircham - bordering on xenophobia. And when your doing that and saying this and the team get worse and worse, maybe the problem isn't them. Maybe Holloway needs to look closer to home. Its been a terrible start for him and there is little to convince me that things can improve.

Of course it's them they are mainly sub standard at championship level !! We was going down before I H was appointed but no one can say he saved us it was probably just delayed
Worrying on 20:54 - Jul 21 with 1505 viewsdaveB

Worrying on 17:51 - Jul 21 by DejR_vu

he said those things talking about how the money has been wasted in the past and the club now have to do things differently, no mention of FFP case, the article never mentioned FFP either but it was twisted into that by fans and made into a big issue. He was answering a question on why so few signings so i think it's harsh to blame him for not realising one line would be taken out of context and linked a completely different story

The bigger issue for me is the madness going on with our fanbase at the moment, everything turned into a massive problem.

Take Sylla today, left out of the squad with no comment so Holloway is slated for wanting to buy too many players, not give players a chance, wanting to sell a player, shouldn't criticise players in public and is a bit racist as he doesn't like the french.

Turned out the truth was a work permit issue but that was all lost among the madness and did't stop a nothing story being turned into so much more.
Worrying on 21:30 - Jul 21 with 1463 viewsbosh67

I think the bottom line problem is that Ollie doesn't like him, which is unusual because Ollie is good at difficult players usually.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Worrying on 21:45 - Jul 21 with 1428 viewsBrightonhoop

Worrying on 20:54 - Jul 21 by daveB

he said those things talking about how the money has been wasted in the past and the club now have to do things differently, no mention of FFP case, the article never mentioned FFP either but it was twisted into that by fans and made into a big issue. He was answering a question on why so few signings so i think it's harsh to blame him for not realising one line would be taken out of context and linked a completely different story

The bigger issue for me is the madness going on with our fanbase at the moment, everything turned into a massive problem.

Take Sylla today, left out of the squad with no comment so Holloway is slated for wanting to buy too many players, not give players a chance, wanting to sell a player, shouldn't criticise players in public and is a bit racist as he doesn't like the french.

Turned out the truth was a work permit issue but that was all lost among the madness and did't stop a nothing story being turned into so much more.

Spot on Dave, squad feels light and a higher likelihood of relegation is making us all anxious I guess.

That third paragraph is pure Python 'doesn't like the French. ' haha brilliant.
Worrying on 21:52 - Jul 21 with 1415 viewsBromleyHoop

Worrying on 21:30 - Jul 21 by bosh67

I think the bottom line problem is that Ollie doesn't like him, which is unusual because Ollie is good at difficult players usually.

And/Or he's singling him out in order to show the rest of the squad that he's a disciplinarian and they need to tow the party line; a common management technique. As far as I can recall Holloway only started digging Sylla out when we were on our first run of 6 defeats. I got the distinct impression that Holloway was struggling to keep it together under the pressure and looking for someone else to blame and be the whipping boy.......enter Sylla, stage left.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Worrying on 21:52 - Jul 21 with 1411 viewsLblock

Excuse me for broadening the debate at this time of the night, on a Friday, after a bottle of Malbec...

but... was I the only one whose instant thought was "work permit run out? How the fcuk have the club allowed this to happen? After all the issues with 49 year old Sandro? After all the basic admin issues we've had in the recent history?"
It's a bleedin disgrace

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Worrying on 21:54 - Jul 21 with 1405 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Yes the squad does seem light. I don't know where all the talk of relegation is coming from. We might also finish 14th.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Worrying on 22:12 - Jul 21 with 1362 viewsdaveB

Worrying on 21:52 - Jul 21 by Lblock

Excuse me for broadening the debate at this time of the night, on a Friday, after a bottle of Malbec...

but... was I the only one whose instant thought was "work permit run out? How the fcuk have the club allowed this to happen? After all the issues with 49 year old Sandro? After all the basic admin issues we've had in the recent history?"
It's a bleedin disgrace

his work permit hasn't run out, he is fine to play in england it's just a technicality about playing abroad within 3 months of a new work permit
Worrying on 22:14 - Jul 21 with 1354 viewsLblock

Worrying on 22:12 - Jul 21 by daveB

his work permit hasn't run out, he is fine to play in england it's just a technicality about playing abroad within 3 months of a new work permit

Why dont you just leave it out with all these facts, calm reasoned opinions and lack of panic?

haven't you read the memo man?! PANIC!!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Worrying on 02:19 - Jul 22 with 1200 viewsNorthernr

It was Holloway who said "I want the French lads to run about a bit more". Unnecessary and unhelpful.
Worrying on 05:06 - Jul 22 with 1172 viewsjonno

Worrying on 02:19 - Jul 22 by Northernr

It was Holloway who said "I want the French lads to run about a bit more". Unnecessary and unhelpful.

Yes, bit of a silly thing to say in public. With Sylla, we don't know what his attitude is like to training, working hard to get fit etc. It may be that he is lazy, doesn't turn up for training sometimes etc. which could explain Holloway's attitude to him, but these things need to be dealt with privately.
Worrying on 05:48 - Jul 22 with 1158 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think the problem playing Sylla or Smith, is that we're incapable of playing to their strengths. I hope it's that, and not a case of Olly failing to recognise this.

If you're going to play Sylla, then you have to work on the basis that he'll get on the end of something in the box. Thus, by whatever means, get the ball to him in the box and he can do the rest it seems. For Smith, yes he runs around as best he can, but he's not much use beyond being a target man and so, it's got to be on his noggins in the box. Thus, we've got to play down the wings to him.

Sylla is not an Olly player, Smith is! Merely running around seems to impress Ollie and while an honest hard worker is still a thing of beauty in its own way, so are goals. I suspect playing to Sylla's strengths will yield more goals, the way we'll inevitably hoof it to Smith won't!

I'm not buying the visa thing. Because if that is the case so soon after Sandro, then we're really run by idiots! I think he's left behind on purpose. If he goes because Ollie doesn't like his lack of mindless running, hunker down for a dreadful time!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Worrying on 05:57 - Jul 22 with 1156 viewsJamesB1979

He also said he couldn't communicate with Sylla because of lack of English which in this day and age is ridiculous. A manager and club should adapt to players lack of English.
Worrying on 09:01 - Jul 22 with 1065 viewskingsburyR

Didn't Churchill say that also?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Worrying on 09:50 - Jul 22 with 997 viewsLythamR

I think a big part of this is a lack of plain simple communication. Why when asked a question give a replay that can be misconstrued and lead to such speculation

When asked a question about the squad and transfers try to avoid references to "Bombs" particularly in the current climate!

I like Holloway but he doesnt make it easy sometimes.
Worrying on 09:57 - Jul 22 with 984 viewsterryb

Worrying on 22:12 - Jul 21 by daveB

On reflection, should not the club have stated this when they announced the squad?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024