Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sigurdsson 20:32 - Aug 15 with 6130 viewsted_hendrix

£45 million Everton have agreed to pay Swansea for this bloke, he's good no question but £45 million?
Been said before I know but transfer fees are running wild now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sigurdsson on 20:48 - Aug 15 with 3897 viewscolinallcars

And I moaned about us paying 750 quid for Brian Bedford.
Sigurdsson on 20:58 - Aug 15 with 3855 viewsBklynRanger

£50,000 for Tony Thorpe. £11.50 a goal. Call me Tony I know you see my Faceache messages!
Sigurdsson on 21:05 - Aug 15 with 3833 viewsHunterhoop

Football has gone mad.

Yes, he's good, but that's it. A good Prem central midfielder for £45m. Madness. Our annual income is less than half that....and most of that is parachute and tv payments.

I'm more convinced than ever that we're going about things the right way.

In Les and Lee, we trust.
Sigurdsson on 21:10 - Aug 15 with 3811 viewsdaveB

He was a massive flop at Spurs, poor signing imo, he tends to be at his best when team is built around him which it won't be at Everton

kind of money being spent is vile at the moment
Sigurdsson on 21:56 - Aug 15 with 3703 viewsted_hendrix

Jim White will be a gibbering wreck

"breaking news"

"breaking news"

Sigurdsson on 22:03 - Aug 15 with 3672 viewsTonto

Silly money...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sigurdsson on 22:20 - Aug 15 with 3613 viewsjohncharles

I am SO glad that we have some kind of sanity in the transfer market.
And you know what ? We're doing alright.

Strong and stable my arse.

Sigurdsson on 22:21 - Aug 15 with 3617 viewseghamranger

Good player and stands out in a poor Swansea side.

I see Gareth Barry has gone and he was prob on a few quid a week.

They have spent a fortune and haven't even bought a lukaku replacement really
Login to get fewer ads

Sigurdsson on 23:51 - Aug 15 with 3485 viewsted_hendrix

Clubs, agents ,players, wags all of them are like pigs round a trough full of cash, grunting burping and feeding themselves into a frenzy.
And all the while that bloke Costalot who plays for chelshit is sunning himself back home on a Brazilian beach and refusing to come back because his bloody boss apparently sent him a text that he didn't like, i'm reading that Oxlade-Chamberlain might be going to chelshit for a reported £35 million. (dear me).
As Daveb says the money being paid is vile, Its way off the scale and I cant relate to it at all.
At the end of this Month there'll be plenty of pigs around the cash trough squealing and grunting like mad.
I'll give it a miss.

Sigurdsson on 02:59 - Aug 16 with 3411 viewsjonno

Sigurdsson on 23:51 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

Clubs, agents ,players, wags all of them are like pigs round a trough full of cash, grunting burping and feeding themselves into a frenzy.
And all the while that bloke Costalot who plays for chelshit is sunning himself back home on a Brazilian beach and refusing to come back because his bloody boss apparently sent him a text that he didn't like, i'm reading that Oxlade-Chamberlain might be going to chelshit for a reported £35 million. (dear me).
As Daveb says the money being paid is vile, Its way off the scale and I cant relate to it at all.
At the end of this Month there'll be plenty of pigs around the cash trough squealing and grunting like mad.
I'll give it a miss.

Totally agree. And the media are just as bad, they fuel the whole thing without questioning the obscene amounts of money involved. Watched some sports "journalists" talking on Sky the other day about the Premier League and this sort of money was being talked about as if it was just loose change. Not one of them even mentioned how unsustainable this sort of thing is. They also seemed to accept it was perfectly "normal" for a player to basically refuse to play for a team he was contracted to because he had been tapped up by a bigger club, yet still pick up his wages anyway. It all sends out entirely the wrong message IMHO.
Sigurdsson on 06:33 - Aug 16 with 3326 viewsDWQPR

Sigurdsson on 02:59 - Aug 16 by jonno

Totally agree. And the media are just as bad, they fuel the whole thing without questioning the obscene amounts of money involved. Watched some sports "journalists" talking on Sky the other day about the Premier League and this sort of money was being talked about as if it was just loose change. Not one of them even mentioned how unsustainable this sort of thing is. They also seemed to accept it was perfectly "normal" for a player to basically refuse to play for a team he was contracted to because he had been tapped up by a bigger club, yet still pick up his wages anyway. It all sends out entirely the wrong message IMHO.

I live in hope that the whole house of cards will come tumbling down sooner rather than later. I still think that the best signing Everton have made this summer will be Rooney, where he will have the chance to play in his preferred position rather than being played in areas where he was playing second fiddle to the likes of Ronaldo and latterly Ibrahimovich.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Sigurdsson on 06:39 - Aug 16 with 3316 viewsdanehoop

Sigurdsson on 06:33 - Aug 16 by DWQPR

I live in hope that the whole house of cards will come tumbling down sooner rather than later. I still think that the best signing Everton have made this summer will be Rooney, where he will have the chance to play in his preferred position rather than being played in areas where he was playing second fiddle to the likes of Ronaldo and latterly Ibrahimovich.

Was thinking the same about Rooney. Noticed that he visibly appears lighter and fitter this season than last. Hope it goes well for him there.

Never knowingly understood

Sigurdsson on 07:26 - Aug 16 with 3273 viewsdaveB

a lot of it is fuelled by the fans and media. They seem to get off on transfers, who is going where and how much.

For my sins I watched Love Island this summer and every few days they did a re coupling so either the fellas or girls would stick with their partner or pick a new one and see how that went, they would spend all day gossiping about who would go with who then the big moment would come and in reality nothing really changed. that is what the transfer window is like, a group of idiots gathered round gossiping about who they are going after next whilst laughing at old Spurs in the corner who is quite happy with what he has not realising that Spurs is getting his end away every night whilst they chase something new

In all the previews to the season it's been about who has signed who rather than how good any of the teams are. Man City have spent around 100 million on goalkeepers who can't catch a cross.

I saw a really good interview with Mike Ashley on Sky the other day, he spoke about his 10 years at Newcastle and his mistakes. His biggest mistake and why he is hated seems to be that he tried to grow the club over time buying younger players rather than the finished article and put money into the academy similar to what Southampton have done, he said the main thing he has learnt is that football is a lot more short term and the only way to succeed is to throw money at it chasing the dream and to hell with the consequences. It was quite depressing.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 7:27]
Sigurdsson on 07:56 - Aug 16 with 3216 viewsWatford_Ranger

Sigurdsson on 21:10 - Aug 15 by daveB

He was a massive flop at Spurs, poor signing imo, he tends to be at his best when team is built around him which it won't be at Everton

kind of money being spent is vile at the moment

Disagree that he flopped at Spurs. Pochettino has said he'd have liked to have worked with him which is unsurprising considering he made way partly for Lamela who has been there four years and done less.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/02/gylfi-sigurdsson-perfect-totten
Sigurdsson on 08:37 - Aug 16 with 3118 viewssimmo

Great player, one of the best in the league and can do it all, goals, assists, dead balls, etc. He's class, but £45m... Jesus fck.

It has to implode, surely? It's not sustainable to spend that and when you think that clubs that have existed for years have gone bust in the last 10 years and could have been kept afloat on the agent fee of a deal like this, it needs to change - there has to be more done to get these obscene riches to the lower levels of the game.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sigurdsson on 08:52 - Aug 16 with 3084 viewsWadR

I like him. But it's remarkable that for someone that 'limited' Everton are willing to pay £45m. He's 28 next month too, so there's practically zero chance they'll recoup much of that in future transfers.

Crazy fee to pay considering his all round game has some serious weakness.
Sigurdsson on 09:23 - Aug 16 with 3026 viewsElHoop

To some extent the values are just a tag put on the recycling of the same old money. The net spend is something different again. I doubt that Everton would be paying £45m if Lukaku hadn't been priced at £75m or Barkley presumably at something equally overpriced. The problem is how much of these values disappears to agents and other parasites.

I think that Everton need a striker so this probably isn't the end of it. They're keeping it tight are Everton, but will the score enough?
Sigurdsson on 09:31 - Aug 16 with 3008 viewsfrancisbowles

Sigurdsson on 23:51 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

I'll give it a miss.

Great post. Wonderful descriptive prose. You must have been an A grade English student!
Sigurdsson on 11:24 - Aug 16 with 2893 viewspaulparker

Sigurdsson on 07:26 - Aug 16 by daveB

a lot of it is fuelled by the fans and media. They seem to get off on transfers, who is going where and how much.

For my sins I watched Love Island this summer and every few days they did a re coupling so either the fellas or girls would stick with their partner or pick a new one and see how that went, they would spend all day gossiping about who would go with who then the big moment would come and in reality nothing really changed. that is what the transfer window is like, a group of idiots gathered round gossiping about who they are going after next whilst laughing at old Spurs in the corner who is quite happy with what he has not realising that Spurs is getting his end away every night whilst they chase something new

In all the previews to the season it's been about who has signed who rather than how good any of the teams are. Man City have spent around 100 million on goalkeepers who can't catch a cross.

I saw a really good interview with Mike Ashley on Sky the other day, he spoke about his 10 years at Newcastle and his mistakes. His biggest mistake and why he is hated seems to be that he tried to grow the club over time buying younger players rather than the finished article and put money into the academy similar to what Southampton have done, he said the main thing he has learnt is that football is a lot more short term and the only way to succeed is to throw money at it chasing the dream and to hell with the consequences. It was quite depressing.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 7:27]

the people who say it will go pop are wrong it wont, you only have to look at the TV deals the really annoying thing is that if it wasn't for the European competition commission ruling that BSkyB couldn't be the only one to broadcast live premier league games we would probably have never got to this point and sky packages would be much cheaper. Multiple companies trying to outbid each other has just driven up prices to insane amounts and this is then passed on to the customer by way of both higher subscription costs & requiring multiple subscriptions.

At the time the commission were trying to force the premier league to sell the rights to at least 2 different broadcasters Richard Scudamore said that this would "damage the game at all levels", Turns out he was right and the commissions insistence that consumers should have more choice has just meant spiralling costs for everyone, More sh1te from people in Brussels interfering where it isn't needed.

BSkyB were paying just over 1 billion for exclusive tv rights for the period of 2003-2007, Around 250 million per year. 10 years later and Sky/BT are paying over 1.7 billion per year. There is no way it would be anything even close to a billion per year if 1 company had exclusivity

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sigurdsson on 11:35 - Aug 16 with 2865 viewsdaveB

Sigurdsson on 11:24 - Aug 16 by paulparker

the people who say it will go pop are wrong it wont, you only have to look at the TV deals the really annoying thing is that if it wasn't for the European competition commission ruling that BSkyB couldn't be the only one to broadcast live premier league games we would probably have never got to this point and sky packages would be much cheaper. Multiple companies trying to outbid each other has just driven up prices to insane amounts and this is then passed on to the customer by way of both higher subscription costs & requiring multiple subscriptions.

At the time the commission were trying to force the premier league to sell the rights to at least 2 different broadcasters Richard Scudamore said that this would "damage the game at all levels", Turns out he was right and the commissions insistence that consumers should have more choice has just meant spiralling costs for everyone, More sh1te from people in Brussels interfering where it isn't needed.

BSkyB were paying just over 1 billion for exclusive tv rights for the period of 2003-2007, Around 250 million per year. 10 years later and Sky/BT are paying over 1.7 billion per year. There is no way it would be anything even close to a billion per year if 1 company had exclusivity

You are right the money will only go up especially if Apple or Amazon get involved in the next bid
Sigurdsson on 11:39 - Aug 16 with 2859 viewspaesanu

What I seriously don't get, is that as illegal streams become more and more mainstream, no-one in their right mind will need to pay the massive Sky monthlies.

My mate streams from his Samsung TV. There's an actual streaming app in the Samsung official app store ffs, and the quality is HD and doesn't stutter. He pays a fiver as month. Ridiculous, and I don't care how much noise Sky makes about winning court cases, streams are out of Pandora's Box and here to stay.

Personally I'd love to see the Sky empire go the way of Setanta. Their money has created more bad than good.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Sigurdsson on 11:42 - Aug 16 with 2847 viewsderbyhoop

For once in my life, I agree with PP. It won't collapse while there is silly money from TV deals. It's the consumers of the TV deals, not just from the UK, but scattered around the world, that pay for the fuel that keeps the fire going.

The really worrying thing for the English game is the imbalance between the PL and the rest. Clubs are now pocketing £30m + in parachute payments when they get relegated. If they make the vaguest attempt at running their clubs properly they should walk back up. But we've seen plenty of examples where the clubs are not run well, including QPR. Virtually every club in the Championship is now spending more on players' wages than they are earning. That's before they pay for other bills, like rates, policing, maintenance, etc. Given the riches on offer for 1 successful season that gets them promoted, is it any wonder that Championship clubs are paying £12m for a striker or £60k wages for a has been CB.
Leicester winning the PL and Huddersfield getting promoted last season are indicators that money isn't everything. However, those sort of stories are going to be rarer and rarer.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sigurdsson on 12:13 - Aug 16 with 2768 viewsdaveB

Sigurdsson on 11:39 - Aug 16 by paesanu

What I seriously don't get, is that as illegal streams become more and more mainstream, no-one in their right mind will need to pay the massive Sky monthlies.

My mate streams from his Samsung TV. There's an actual streaming app in the Samsung official app store ffs, and the quality is HD and doesn't stutter. He pays a fiver as month. Ridiculous, and I don't care how much noise Sky makes about winning court cases, streams are out of Pandora's Box and here to stay.

Personally I'd love to see the Sky empire go the way of Setanta. Their money has created more bad than good.

i do think Sky may be in trouble in the coming years, they have already lost the Ashes and the champions League and if Amazon are serious they could easily take one of the premier league packages off them and can charge a lot less to stream matches to a lot more people.
Sigurdsson on 08:20 - Aug 17 with 2446 viewstimcocking

It's a fcuking obscenity.
Sigurdsson on 09:13 - Aug 17 with 2397 viewswhittocksRs

Sigurdsson on 06:33 - Aug 16 by DWQPR

The sick thing about all of this is it's not going to end in the foreseeable future. I heard a football business journalist talking the other day, nothign that the next round of Premier League rights are going to go less in the UK than the last round (still around £5bn).

However, Scudamore is creaming himself because he's hiked up the prices for the Chinese and Indian TV buyers, meaning overall the PL is going to make record revenue on the next deal. International TV deals are going to keep up the massive over-inflation that we started. It's really quite grim, and won't be long before a player goes for £500m+.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024