Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR launch club's first LGBT group 16:53 - Oct 6 with 10786 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/community-news/qpr-launch-lgbt-group/

Would be nice if we lived in a world where LGBT didn't need special support and weren't discriminated against but until then this is another great move by our club. Never hurts to listen, learn and chat and if this facilitates that then it can only be a good thing.

Well done our club!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:25 - Oct 7 with 2774 viewsBrightonhoop

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:16 - Oct 7 by PunteR

Right.
Firstly and most importantly Brighton you dont actually know me. So dont start calling me a w@nker.
Secondly. what the hell does "It would be a pleasure to find you beside me in the trenches." mean..?

Oh.
Sorry about that.
What it means is 8 days a week you are exemplary at being a w4nker.
I might be wrong....
Nite nite w4nker extroadinaire.

It's an interesting thread at risk of not being ruined by you. Must try harder.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 0:27]
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:41 - Oct 7 with 2757 viewsPunteR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:25 - Oct 7 by Brightonhoop

Oh.
Sorry about that.
What it means is 8 days a week you are exemplary at being a w4nker.
I might be wrong....
Nite nite w4nker extroadinaire.

It's an interesting thread at risk of not being ruined by you. Must try harder.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 0:27]

8 days a week ??
Mind blown.
More like twice a day.
Without wanting to move a topical thread about LGBT onto lets have a online handbags fight with LFW resident gimp Brightonhoop.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:49 - Oct 7 with 2740 viewsDeepcutHoop

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 17:12 - Oct 6 by PunteR

Whats this for? I dont get it.
Do we start a hetrosexual group as well..?

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 01:16 - Oct 7 with 2725 viewsQPR_Jim

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:03 - Oct 7 by PunteR

Apart from Brighton(who have a big gay community) i personally haven't seen a lot of homophobic abuse in football. But, i do understand that in other country's like Russia , Poland,Spain , Turkey , in fact lots of countries all over the world and also staunch christian and Muslims communities dont agree with homosexuality.

However.
Rainbow Rangers??

Theoretically it doesn't matter whether there is homophobia or not, if there's a perception that there is homophobia in football then an LGBT group will help to get people who would normally stay away to come down and find out that there isn't.

Either way I don't see the harm in it, it's not going to hurt anyone or lessen their experience so why not.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 02:07 - Oct 7 with 2696 viewsFDC

If any group or institution is serious about improving its diversity it needs to think carefully about how to address the problem of not reproducing the structural conditions that have lead to its relatively homogeneous current composition. Saying "so are we going to have a heterosexual group" (see also the annual "so when is international mens day then?") misses the point that football remains relatively hostile to the LGBT community, and I would imagine the composition of people at a football ground on a match day contains a far smaller percentage of LGBT people than society at large. Any institution that has something like an LGBT council etc does so in order to steer the insituation away from reproducing the conditions that have lead to a perceived problem with diversity or representing a plurality of subjectivities.

We don't need a heterosexual supporters group or an international mens day because those subjectivities are already well represented (alt-right self-pity merchants notwithstanding)

You may not agree that there is an issue to begin with of course. And whether or not this particular initiative will be successful or meaningful is a separate question
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 2:30]
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 03:14 - Oct 7 with 2658 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In a week that the US vetoed a vote at the UN to ban death sentences for homosexuals, it would appear as follows: we’re streets ahead of that stupid fcuking country and, that’s probably indicative of why you still need things like Rainbow Rangers!

As said earlier about the club, we’ve done outstanding work in terms of disability with the Tiger club thing, Bowles/Alzheimer’s, the kid with depression and the Grenfell response. In fact, I’d go as far as to say, all this has actually instilled some much needed pride and respect in this shambles of a club that unites us. Congrats go to all at the club working on these issues, and while I still think he’s a buffoon, hats off go all the way up to Fernandes as well.

Nothing about these actions has struck me as being anything less then 100% genuine. Of course, we have to be careful we don’t end up being seen as the ‘Bono club’, but thus far, we’re tackling issues that are important to QPR, our Rfosi and local area. So well done us!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 06:38 - Oct 7 with 2621 viewsWatfordR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 01:16 - Oct 7 by QPR_Jim

Theoretically it doesn't matter whether there is homophobia or not, if there's a perception that there is homophobia in football then an LGBT group will help to get people who would normally stay away to come down and find out that there isn't.

Either way I don't see the harm in it, it's not going to hurt anyone or lessen their experience so why not.

"if there's a perception that there is homophobia in football"

Surely undeniable given the number of professional footballers who have admitted to being gay?

I'm with a few on here, it would be great if there were no need for an LGBT group (or a group that represents the interests of disabled fans for example), but it hasn't come about simply because someone at the club woke up one morning and decided "oh we need one of these". Maybe one day down the line though there won't be need for it because of the work the club does with it over the next few years. But in the meantime, as LBlock correctly said, if you're a Rangers fan, you're part of my family.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 08:01 - Oct 7 with 2582 viewsQPR_Jim

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 06:38 - Oct 7 by WatfordR

"if there's a perception that there is homophobia in football"

Surely undeniable given the number of professional footballers who have admitted to being gay?

I'm with a few on here, it would be great if there were no need for an LGBT group (or a group that represents the interests of disabled fans for example), but it hasn't come about simply because someone at the club woke up one morning and decided "oh we need one of these". Maybe one day down the line though there won't be need for it because of the work the club does with it over the next few years. But in the meantime, as LBlock correctly said, if you're a Rangers fan, you're part of my family.

I think we agree.

You say it's undeniable but others on this thread are saying there's not a problem, so I guess it's subjective but as you point to there's a lot of evidence that suggest that football is still a hostile environment for LGBT people. What I was trying to say was that whether there is or isn't a problem is irrelevant and we shouldn't get distracted by that as it's a separate issue.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 08:19 - Oct 7 with 2563 viewsBlackCrowe

I don't really get it tbh.

If i was L, G, B or T i suspect i'd just want to be part of life (and Rangers) and not highlighted/promoted/categorised separately. Maybe that's naive.

Seeing a couple of gay friends next week, will get their view.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 08:40 - Oct 7 with 2547 viewsDorse

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 23:12 - Oct 6 by ed_83

It says exactly what the group is intended to do in the article: "to welcome fellow R’s from the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community".

Ensuring that gay people feel welcome, and are able to enjoy watching the football without being confronted with abuse centred around their identity isn't special treatment: it's bringing them up to the same level that the rest of us already enjoy.

LGBTRs. Works for me.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 09:24 - Oct 7 with 2501 viewsrunningman75

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 19:58 - Oct 6 by Boston

What age are you, or to be more precise, when did you start following the Rangers?

I am in my 40s. Supported the r's from the age of 7 when my step-dad bought a QPR pennant ( his aunt was from East Acton originally) and he was a Brent lad. Started being allowed to go without a responsible adult from around 12 years old as had older friends. As someone of Jewish origin was always aware of a more racist element among Chelsea fans though the r's had a minority of extreme views I liked the r's as there was more a reflection of west and north west London of the 1980s with an Irish contingent of fans and other groups.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 10:09 - Oct 7 with 2463 viewsed_83

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 00:03 - Oct 7 by PunteR

Apart from Brighton(who have a big gay community) i personally haven't seen a lot of homophobic abuse in football. But, i do understand that in other country's like Russia , Poland,Spain , Turkey , in fact lots of countries all over the world and also staunch christian and Muslims communities dont agree with homosexuality.

However.
Rainbow Rangers??

So if you haven't experienced a problem personally, that means it doesn't exist.

Three-quarters of fans have heard homophobic abuse at recent matches; two-thirds think that initiatives like this are welcome: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/media-centre/media-release/homophobic-views-sport

This article's also a useful look at how homophobic banter can turn toxic, from that bastion of left-wing PC groupthink, the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3828636/English-football-denia
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 10:19 - Oct 7 with 2446 viewsPommyhoop

Getting ready for the match.
COYRS

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 10:47 - Oct 7 with 2415 viewsPunteR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 10:09 - Oct 7 by ed_83

So if you haven't experienced a problem personally, that means it doesn't exist.

Three-quarters of fans have heard homophobic abuse at recent matches; two-thirds think that initiatives like this are welcome: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/media-centre/media-release/homophobic-views-sport

This article's also a useful look at how homophobic banter can turn toxic, from that bastion of left-wing PC groupthink, the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3828636/English-football-denia

I didnt say it doesnt exist, i just said i havnt seen a lot of it.
I take your point though.

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 11:05 - Oct 7 with 2394 viewsMedwayR

I'd consider this a good move, it won't affect the vast majority of our fans but if it helps a few then why not. I'm not sure exactly what the group will do but if it gives them a channel through which to give the club feedback on things like homophobic abuse then that has to be a good thing.

Why stop here though, I've probably heard as much racist abuse about Asians as I have homophobic abuse and rarely see any Asians, as in Indian/Pakistani part of Asia, at QPR despite having large Asian communities nearby. Having seen their passion at the cricket they might improve the atmosphere too. Could the club be doing more to appeal to these communities and grow our fan base, particularly considering we have Indian owners???

Poll: Who’s better?

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 11:12 - Oct 7 with 2386 viewsizlingtonhoop

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 17:55 - Oct 6 by Northernr

On the QPR specifically point, let's not pretend our supporters are whiter than white. We've all sat there and heard QPR fans in the recent past signing Drogba's got Aids, Mourinho is gay and Loic Remy sits in a fcking tree.

At least their attitudes were inclusive enough to be offensive using signing...
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 11:14]
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 11:16 - Oct 7 with 2373 viewsloftboy

Where was this kind of group when 3000 Norwich fans stood up as one and chanted at me “you fat Bastàrd” I thought you bunch of fattist pigs before lifting my jumper and wobbling my then over large stomach at them.
My point being is that where there is a huge crowd of mainly male blokes anything perceived as slightly different is going to be a target, we are probably one of the most inclusive clubs in the country and probably don’t need to set this up.
I’ve regularly seen a couple of gay blokes in the West Paddock who sit there discreetly holding hands, never heard a single bad word said against them.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 13:21 - Oct 7 with 2275 viewsTacticalR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 11:16 - Oct 7 by loftboy

Where was this kind of group when 3000 Norwich fans stood up as one and chanted at me “you fat Bastàrd” I thought you bunch of fattist pigs before lifting my jumper and wobbling my then over large stomach at them.
My point being is that where there is a huge crowd of mainly male blokes anything perceived as slightly different is going to be a target, we are probably one of the most inclusive clubs in the country and probably don’t need to set this up.
I’ve regularly seen a couple of gay blokes in the West Paddock who sit there discreetly holding hands, never heard a single bad word said against them.

I don't see why any reason why there shouldn't be a Fat Bastàrds support group.

Previous discussions of this issue:

Barton isn't happy (2012)
Barton isn't happy! by JonDoeman 5 Dec 2012 14:57

Football needs a gay hero @Joey7Barton
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243039/Martin-Samuel-If-Roman-Abramovich-doesnt-respect-Chelseas-managers-players.html#ixzz2EANPnWDO

Is homophobia still present within football? (2016)
Is homophobia still present within football? by footballfan22 22 Feb 2016 17:08
After the recent story involving Serge Aurier which hit the headlines, do you believe there is still homophobia embedded within football, its players or the fans?
Below is a short study which will aim to answer this question, therefore any responses will be greatly appreciated. This study is for a master’s project for a UK university. The link is as follows: https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/attitudes-towards-homophobia

Of course those threads were from a pre-Trumpian world and we are still seeing what the fallout from that will be (last week Farage was in Alabama campaigning for Republican candidate Roy Moore who has said homosexuality should be made illegal).

Air hostess clique

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 13:32 - Oct 7 with 2260 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just curious, but I wonder what the gay users of LfW think of this thread?
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 13:41 - Oct 7 with 2241 viewsPunteR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 13:32 - Oct 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just curious, but I wonder what the gay users of LfW think of this thread?

I think Brightonhoop made his views pretty clear..

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 14:17 - Oct 7 with 2194 viewsBushRanger82

My reaction to this is exactly the same one I had, when the news was announced that the lower loft would be made the official family stand.
Can't see the need for it. Never have. Not at Loftus Rd, I haven't.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 14:21 - Oct 7 with 2192 viewsBrightonhoop

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 13:41 - Oct 7 by PunteR

I think Brightonhoop made his views pretty clear..

Dear oh dear Punter. Give us a kiss. It must be uncomfortable. Living in the closet.

If you're going to be a troll you need to try harder and be good at what you do.

Only a strapping heterosexual geezer could have such a hissy fit over a gay group at Rangers. Sad.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 15:58 - Oct 8 with 1970 viewsNW5Hoop

Can't think why anyone would believe there's homophobia at Loftus Road. After all, singing "does your boyfriend know you're here?" is just banter, isn't it? Epic bantz!

It's often said that football fans will pick on any obvious point of difference, so being gay is no different from being fat etc. Well, we've all managed to work out that picking on the point of difference that is being black is something we shouldn't do. So why shouldn't we extend that? Is it really so hard to support a football team without abusing other people for something entirely unrelated to football (I have no problem with calling out Ashley Young for being a cheating, diving w*nker, or John Terry for being a cheating, racist, w*nker. It's not like I think football should be sanitised).

As to this new group. Well, the people who set it up obviously feel it is needed, which is why they did it. It's not going to affect anyone who isn't a member in any way at all. So I really can't see why some people are so upset by it.
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 17:10 - Oct 8 with 1922 viewseasthertsr

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 15:58 - Oct 8 by NW5Hoop

Can't think why anyone would believe there's homophobia at Loftus Road. After all, singing "does your boyfriend know you're here?" is just banter, isn't it? Epic bantz!

It's often said that football fans will pick on any obvious point of difference, so being gay is no different from being fat etc. Well, we've all managed to work out that picking on the point of difference that is being black is something we shouldn't do. So why shouldn't we extend that? Is it really so hard to support a football team without abusing other people for something entirely unrelated to football (I have no problem with calling out Ashley Young for being a cheating, diving w*nker, or John Terry for being a cheating, racist, w*nker. It's not like I think football should be sanitised).

As to this new group. Well, the people who set it up obviously feel it is needed, which is why they did it. It's not going to affect anyone who isn't a member in any way at all. So I really can't see why some people are so upset by it.

That is absolutely spot on!
QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 18:12 - Oct 8 with 1886 viewsPunteR

QPR launch club's first LGBT group on 15:58 - Oct 8 by NW5Hoop

Just to reel you in a bit there NW5Hoop, i dont think anybody on this thread is , as you put it"so upset by it".
I dont know what other QPR message boards or twitter is saying though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024