Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren's first 'presser' 11:23 - May 21 with 13993 viewsNorthernr

Very much hoping he does this in a cockney accent. Updates and embellishments to follow.

Ok here he is, it's a beautiful day on Steve McClaren's Hair Island.

Had a good three months here before, the dressing room needed sorting out. The last two years have been very good, getting the house in order. I'm excvited by the squad, have missed coaching and building a team. The squad is very good, young, enthusiastic, attitude, can play football.

No targets been set for him. Priority is winning, and winning in a certain style, believes this squad can achieve it.

Young players handled last season well, to go forwards and win consistently you need experience around that youth. Been in two days, had half a day with Les, sitting down next two days to discuss resources and where we go from here.

Club is in recovery. It's stable. Now it needs to be taken forward.

SkyBot 2.0 is fishing for transfer news natch. Keeps straight batting it.

Chris Martin and Jamie Ward - over the next few days and weeks we'll be linked with everybody. We've got time to sit down and plan and look ahead.

Not about budgets, big playersh, championsh league. Brentford, Millwall, Bristol City have shown you don't have to have a massive budget to compete and be near the play-offs. Over the next year we want to go forward, the club has stabilised, we'll add experience to the squad and try to progress.

Find out the budget over the next few days. Everybody knows the troubles QPR has experienced, the FFP, that's taken the club backwards. I've got to credit everybody behind the scenes here, the recruitment and stabilising over the last two years, definitely over the next year or two it's now in a position where it can go forward.

Sky are now asking about how Steve would feel about facing Fat Frank Fcking Lampard if he gets the Ipswich manager's job. I am absolutely not wasting our fcking time typing this bit up. Cnts.

Woman with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own from the BBC is now asking marginally better questions.

Enjoyed the time here last time, loved the club, the supporters and the stadium, there's a great tradition here.

Says the best team lost the play-off final with a wry smile, always been intrigued with what's going on, kept in touch with Tony Fernandes. The club has good owners and is in a position to move forwards. A lot has changed, looking forward to getting started.

It's a coaching job, developing players, building a team.

Good relationship with Les. Ex-pro, interesting transition into a director of football role, QPR legend, planning the season with him over the next few days.

Win the first game is all we're thinking about. Get everything in order, good pre-season, win the first game.

Timing of signings doesn't matter, just about getting the right players. Already spoken with Gary Penrice and over the last two years the recruitment, the young players they've brought in, have been very good. We want that to continue.

Now asking about advice for Gareth Southgate - from a man who never went to a tournament. Talk among yourselves. Young Squad. Will surprise people. Etc Etc.

I'll put the tennis on for you while this nonsense is going on.

Oh and that's your lot. It's finished. Nothing groundbreaking. Two wnky Sky questions.

This post has been edited by an administrator
McClaren's first 'presser' on 09:58 - May 22 with 2101 viewsTheChef

McClaren's first 'presser' on 09:39 - May 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What do you consider as succeeding?

He is pretty vague on that himself.

[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:27]

Continue to develop the younger players, play good football on a more regular basis, win a few more away games, finish in a higher position in the table than we did last season. That would be more than enough for me, but maybe you have higher expectations?

I think he said himself he hasn't yet sat down with the board to confirm his objectives which I think is fair enough, he only got the job last Friday.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:04 - May 22 with 2085 viewsPlanetHonneywood

He looks excited by it all....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:16 - May 22 with 2044 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren's first 'presser' on 09:58 - May 22 by TheChef

Continue to develop the younger players, play good football on a more regular basis, win a few more away games, finish in a higher position in the table than we did last season. That would be more than enough for me, but maybe you have higher expectations?

I think he said himself he hasn't yet sat down with the board to confirm his objectives which I think is fair enough, he only got the job last Friday.

Continue to develop the younger players, play good football on a more regular basis, win a few more away games, finish in a higher position in the table than we did last season

So no different to what was expected of IH next season

It's not me that has lifted expectations higher than that, the club/owners clearly want more than that as their impatience shows.

S McC is no more guaranteed to deliver that than IH.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:21]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:27 - May 22 with 2014 viewsTheChef

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:16 - May 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Continue to develop the younger players, play good football on a more regular basis, win a few more away games, finish in a higher position in the table than we did last season

So no different to what was expected of IH next season

It's not me that has lifted expectations higher than that, the club/owners clearly want more than that as their impatience shows.

S McC is no more guaranteed to deliver that than IH.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:21]

Well unless you're a fly on the wall in that meeting then we won't know what those objectives are.

Maybe the board felt IH was not getting enough out of the current squad, and his poor away record is a definite factor. McLaren has been at the club before and done well, his coaching ability is well regarded so they felt they had to make that decision now (and better now than halfway through season).

It's a shame that IH didn't get the chance of another season, but we'll never know how he might have done, so perhaps we should back the new manager and wish him all the best. If it all goes t1ts up feel free to come back and say I told you so.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:29 - May 22 with 2004 viewsRs_Holy

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:04 - May 22 by PlanetHonneywood

look at his eyes... seems a beaten man!

COME ON SHTEEVE.... keep telling yourself it could be worse mate?!??
McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:35 - May 22 with 1977 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:27 - May 22 by TheChef

Well unless you're a fly on the wall in that meeting then we won't know what those objectives are.

Maybe the board felt IH was not getting enough out of the current squad, and his poor away record is a definite factor. McLaren has been at the club before and done well, his coaching ability is well regarded so they felt they had to make that decision now (and better now than halfway through season).

It's a shame that IH didn't get the chance of another season, but we'll never know how he might have done, so perhaps we should back the new manager and wish him all the best. If it all goes t1ts up feel free to come back and say I told you so.

Maybe the board felt IH was not getting enough out of the current squad

Oh yes I forgot that TF in his last twitter about IH said he would soon reveal all the reasons for sacking IH but he may still be busy getting treatment for getting his arse kicked backing the wrong guy in the elections...

Or he may for once keep his fat gob shut.......... nah....

Come on Tony, where are you ?
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:38]

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:41 - May 22 with 1968 viewssimmo

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:35 - May 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Maybe the board felt IH was not getting enough out of the current squad

Oh yes I forgot that TF in his last twitter about IH said he would soon reveal all the reasons for sacking IH but he may still be busy getting treatment for getting his arse kicked backing the wrong guy in the elections...

Or he may for once keep his fat gob shut.......... nah....

Come on Tony, where are you ?
[Post edited 22 May 2018 10:38]

Are you obstinate about the potential positives inferred by this change on purpose or do you absolutely see no merit in it? If the latter and you have nothing positive to contribute to these changes would it not be better to not labour the point at every opportunity? Unrelenting negativity doesn't help anybody, or is it just so you can be pleased with yourself every time McLaren gets something wrong?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:52 - May 22 with 1935 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:41 - May 22 by simmo

Are you obstinate about the potential positives inferred by this change on purpose or do you absolutely see no merit in it? If the latter and you have nothing positive to contribute to these changes would it not be better to not labour the point at every opportunity? Unrelenting negativity doesn't help anybody, or is it just so you can be pleased with yourself every time McLaren gets something wrong?

I think the benchmark for being critical of the manager doing the job and fulfilling his remit was set against IH, many nothing short of vindictive from the start.

Have new rules been set for McC

I don't rate him, that's clear but I'm more incensed at the owners, so no, I don't see this as being a better option.

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:56 - May 22 with 1929 viewsTheChef

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:52 - May 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I think the benchmark for being critical of the manager doing the job and fulfilling his remit was set against IH, many nothing short of vindictive from the start.

I don't rate him, that's clear but I'm more incensed at the owners, so no, I don't see this as being a better option.

Fine well please write them a strongly worded letter - the rest of us are well aware of your feelings about the current owner and manager that you are happy to share at every given moment, but probably they are not.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:01 - May 22 with 1908 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:56 - May 22 by TheChef

Fine well please write them a strongly worded letter - the rest of us are well aware of your feelings about the current owner and manager that you are happy to share at every given moment, but probably they are not.

Nah I'll just wait for TF to twitter raising the bar about making the play-offs after a couple of wins like he does most years.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:01 - May 22 with 1916 viewsNorthernr

This is actually starting to get a bit embarrassing now.
McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:05 - May 22 with 1905 viewssimmo

But nobody is disagreeing that IH fulfilled his remit, the issue for the board I guess is that there is now a new remit to build on what Olly achieved and they feel that someone else is better suited to doing that.

You might notice from previous Fernandes threads that I am no fan of the board and his running of the club especially, but they made the appointment not with a tombola, but on the basis that we have a young squad with good technical ability and given both his coaching credentials and the way his first Derby team was put together - playing good football with a mix of senior pros and academy products - that McLaren was a good candidate for where we are now and he could be the one to get us to the next level.

Holloway did a very good job, acknowledged by everybody, but the team selections were sporadic, the away form terrible (not an isolated problem, granted), communication with the media was often unconsidered and his playing style was occasionally unattractive/direct. We were especially uninspiring during the months we persited with a wing back system and couldn't keep a clean sheet or score more than 2 goals. The board assume that McLaren has a better chance of correcting those things than Hollway does so have made the decision while they have the chance.

Despite the perceived injustice to Holloway there is a lot of logic to this decision, whether it proves right or wrong time will tell but in the meantime I think it's probably better for us to try and help not hinder.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:14 - May 22 with 1868 viewskensalriser

Sometimes it's really nice to just take a day off.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:20 - May 22 with 1854 viewsHunterhoop

Not worth it, Simmo. The bloke is a hypocrite. Slagged off anyone quite aggressively who criticised Holloway in any way, even constructively, as not being a proper supporter. McClaren comes in and he only posts bile and negativity.

The bloke is a hypocrite not worth reasoning with.

Either that or a phenomenal Troll, who you should not feed.
McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:28 - May 22 with 1833 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:20 - May 22 by Hunterhoop

Not worth it, Simmo. The bloke is a hypocrite. Slagged off anyone quite aggressively who criticised Holloway in any way, even constructively, as not being a proper supporter. McClaren comes in and he only posts bile and negativity.

I've never said to anyone, they are not being a proper supporter

Link ??

BostonR said I/others were not if we did not go to games.

Like that mylot50years bloke

Get your facts right.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 11:32]

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:38 - May 22 with 1817 viewsWilloW4

Agreed... Attention seeking of the highest order...the more people reply to 2T2B, the more he likes it. The ignore button works a treat.
McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:44 - May 22 with 1796 viewsPunteR

Sometimes seems like a never ending cycle of negativity on here.
Theres never going to be the perfect manager. Ever. Especially a QPR manager. World class managers dont come to QPR, same as players.
McClaren is as good as we're going to get given our circumstances. Ffs we've tried every other different type of manager over the last 10 years and only one has truly been succesful.
Holloway was far far from perfect. Im really struggling to see why 2T2B thinks McClaren is so much worse. No manager is bigger than the club.Completely ridiculous to start slagging McClaren off when he hasnt even started the season.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:45 - May 22 with 1791 viewsBklynRanger

McClaren's first 'presser' on 10:04 - May 22 by PlanetHonneywood

Call me a drama queen or a worry wart or even a prophet or doom if you will, but that picture is both hilarious and quite concerning, to me at least.
McClaren's first 'presser' on 12:07 - May 22 with 1750 viewssimmo

I could at least put a reasoned response across, then I'd be fully justified to ignore future trolling on the basis that I tried my best.

As a bit of an aside I find this blame culture in fans really exhausting. I am guilty myself at times when I am particularly frustrated, but it seems fans in general are always looking for someone to blame for the slightest thing. Any defeat, poor substitution, missed opportunity is met with people looking to blame someone rather than just accepting it as a consequence of an unpredictable sport.

I saw the other day after we lost to Brentford away that a guy sent a tweet to everyone associated with QPR (including Andy Sinton) demanding they 'do something' and calling them cúnts. FFS - when did people get so bent out of shape about losing or things not being perfect?

McClaren's first 'presser' on 12:14 - May 22 with 1728 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

McClaren's first 'presser' on 12:07 - May 22 by simmo

I could at least put a reasoned response across, then I'd be fully justified to ignore future trolling on the basis that I tried my best.

As a bit of an aside I find this blame culture in fans really exhausting. I am guilty myself at times when I am particularly frustrated, but it seems fans in general are always looking for someone to blame for the slightest thing. Any defeat, poor substitution, missed opportunity is met with people looking to blame someone rather than just accepting it as a consequence of an unpredictable sport.

I saw the other day after we lost to Brentford away that a guy sent a tweet to everyone associated with QPR (including Andy Sinton) demanding they 'do something' and calling them cúnts. FFS - when did people get so bent out of shape about losing or things not being perfect?

Also, why are footballers seen as fair game? If your cheque didn't clear in time Barclays and you called for everyone at your local branch to 'sort it out' and then called them cvnts you'd rightly be nicked and possibly sectioned.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 12:15]
McClaren's first 'presser' on 12:22 - May 22 with 1694 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:38 - May 22 by WilloW4

Agreed... Attention seeking of the highest order...the more people reply to 2T2B, the more he likes it. The ignore button works a treat.

I don't put anybody on 'ignore'. Even 2T2B comes up with an occasional nugget worth an up-arrow. Except for the obvious trolls, we're all Rs here.

Of course, if you've got me on 'ignore'...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

McClaren's first 'presser' on 13:44 - May 22 with 1595 viewsNorthernr

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:44 - May 22 by PunteR

Sometimes seems like a never ending cycle of negativity on here.
Theres never going to be the perfect manager. Ever. Especially a QPR manager. World class managers dont come to QPR, same as players.
McClaren is as good as we're going to get given our circumstances. Ffs we've tried every other different type of manager over the last 10 years and only one has truly been succesful.
Holloway was far far from perfect. Im really struggling to see why 2T2B thinks McClaren is so much worse. No manager is bigger than the club.Completely ridiculous to start slagging McClaren off when he hasnt even started the season.

My thoughts entirely. Those Twitter accounts that absolutely pounded Holloway day after day - what exactly are they expecting now? Whoever the manager is at QPR is going to do something that annoys you.
McClaren's first 'presser' on 13:51 - May 22 with 1577 viewsrobith

Me on most LFW threads these days

[Post edited 23 May 2018 12:11]
McClaren's first 'presser' on 14:47 - May 22 with 1507 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren's first 'presser' on 11:05 - May 22 by simmo

But nobody is disagreeing that IH fulfilled his remit, the issue for the board I guess is that there is now a new remit to build on what Olly achieved and they feel that someone else is better suited to doing that.

You might notice from previous Fernandes threads that I am no fan of the board and his running of the club especially, but they made the appointment not with a tombola, but on the basis that we have a young squad with good technical ability and given both his coaching credentials and the way his first Derby team was put together - playing good football with a mix of senior pros and academy products - that McLaren was a good candidate for where we are now and he could be the one to get us to the next level.

Holloway did a very good job, acknowledged by everybody, but the team selections were sporadic, the away form terrible (not an isolated problem, granted), communication with the media was often unconsidered and his playing style was occasionally unattractive/direct. We were especially uninspiring during the months we persited with a wing back system and couldn't keep a clean sheet or score more than 2 goals. The board assume that McLaren has a better chance of correcting those things than Hollway does so have made the decision while they have the chance.

Despite the perceived injustice to Holloway there is a lot of logic to this decision, whether it proves right or wrong time will tell but in the meantime I think it's probably better for us to try and help not hinder.

Where was all this 'fulfilled his remit' chat under JFH?
He offloaded high earners, gave chances to youngsters and we would have finished safe but above the relegation places.
Where was his sympathy? Why didn't the club stab him in the back?
While I would have let Ollie keep going, I don't get all this hand-wringing at all.

Bare bones.

McClaren's first 'presser' on 15:18 - May 22 with 1467 viewssimmo

McClaren's first 'presser' on 14:47 - May 22 by Antti_Heinola

Where was all this 'fulfilled his remit' chat under JFH?
He offloaded high earners, gave chances to youngsters and we would have finished safe but above the relegation places.
Where was his sympathy? Why didn't the club stab him in the back?
While I would have let Ollie keep going, I don't get all this hand-wringing at all.

I think with JFH it was the monotony. It was properly dull at times with a reliance on Chery doing something. I remember there was one game against Reading which made me want to claw the eyes straight out of my head… You’re right in as much as he did what was asked of him, for the most part, but the manner in which he did it meant a lot of people welcomed a change without having much animosity for him. I said it earlier but I think if we’d have parted company with Holloway before he made the change to a back 4, before the football improved, before the young players started coming in a doing bits, we’d have much less of this reaction from fans.

Holloways stock was fairly high when the decision was made and I think that’s the difference.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024