Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sol Campbell abuse 07:30 - Jan 30 with 7534 viewsqpr85

So I just read that Sol Campbell was getting pelters from Cheltenham fans, singing homophobic chants. Which is very surprising I'm this day and age but also goes to show we are still far away from having an openly gay football player.

Which for some reason is really important. I personally don't believe it is important, like the colour of a players skin, it means nothing to me. It won't change my opinion and in this day and age I'm sure it wouldn't matter to most people except knuckle dragging mouth breather.

Anyway my point is this Cheltenham have released a statement:
Cheltenham could not be reached for comment. However in a statement on its website the club said it wanted to remind all supporters “that it is against the law to shout or chant abuse on the grounds of ability or disability; age; gender; gender reassignment; marital status or civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race, nationality or ethnicity; religion or belief; or sexual orientation."

It is against the law to chant abuse about Ability?? Does this mean that shouting/chanting "Your $hit and you know you are" and if someone is slow and lazy we can't tell them either?? I honestly didn't realise most of the songs sung at games across the country could land someone in court or band from games.

Also if we play Brighton again soon are we no longer able to sing "we can see you holding hands"?
Sol Campbell abuse on 08:03 - Jan 30 with 6040 viewsBrianMcCarthy

On the first point, Cheltenham are - I would imagine - clearly talking about ability/disability in terms of physical or mental health and not about someone like me blessed with the complete inability to tap a ball into the net from five yards out!!

On the second point, I wouldn't wonder whether we are no longer able to sing such chants at Brighton, I would wonder why anyone would want to.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sol Campbell abuse on 08:05 - Jan 30 with 6033 viewsWatford_Ranger

Sol Campbell abuse on 08:03 - Jan 30 by BrianMcCarthy

On the first point, Cheltenham are - I would imagine - clearly talking about ability/disability in terms of physical or mental health and not about someone like me blessed with the complete inability to tap a ball into the net from five yards out!!

On the second point, I wouldn't wonder whether we are no longer able to sing such chants at Brighton, I would wonder why anyone would want to.

There’s plenty you can bash Sol for without mentioning his alleged sexual preferences or race.

Also, Cheltenham FFS. What did they do? Throw a Waitrose Essential brioche at him?
Sol Campbell abuse on 09:21 - Jan 30 with 5891 viewsqpr85

Sol Campbell abuse on 08:03 - Jan 30 by BrianMcCarthy

The reason why I'd want to is because it is very funny and not overtly homophobic, just a little.

To the ability, I don't know of many disabled football players that have made it to being a professional football player. I do remember a Peterborough United player who only had a couple of digits on each hand. His name escapes me but I don't remember him ever getting abuse about it.
I genuinely was asking, with the current state of affairs where everyone gets offended by everything, is this a serious statement against having ago at professional football players?
Clearly it would mean what you said Brian but I just wanted to be sure.
Sol Campbell abuse on 09:32 - Jan 30 with 5856 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Sol Campbell abuse on 09:21 - Jan 30 by qpr85

The reason why I'd want to is because it is very funny and not overtly homophobic, just a little.

To the ability, I don't know of many disabled football players that have made it to being a professional football player. I do remember a Peterborough United player who only had a couple of digits on each hand. His name escapes me but I don't remember him ever getting abuse about it.
I genuinely was asking, with the current state of affairs where everyone gets offended by everything, is this a serious statement against having ago at professional football players?

As we all know abuse isn't just aimed at players. I wasn't at Fratton Park but the abuse given to the grey tracksuited matalan frequenter has already reached legendary status.

Plenty of people of disability attend football matches. In fact in some matches i've been to i'd estimate they were in the majority!
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 9:33]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Sol Campbell abuse on 09:58 - Jan 30 with 5787 viewsLunarJetman

Mate, you can't have just a little homophobic, either something is homophobic or it isn't.

I'd question why anyone would think men holding hands is funny anyway..... I'm sure if you broadened your mind a little you could find funnier things to enjoy anyway...
Sol Campbell abuse on 10:53 - Jan 30 with 5695 viewsplasmahoop

In my experience, in Somerset and Gloucestershire they have been a bit behind the times race wise. In one village they had one black player in their cricket team, and they called him black Ben. Others were saying, ooh where you come from, lots of immigrants and crime, and thought if you went anywhere near London you'd be instantly killed. These guys were heading towards the middle class end too, so if they are more knuckled ragging god knows what they're like
Sol Campbell abuse on 10:58 - Jan 30 with 5680 viewsDavieQPR

If wearing a Matalan Grey Tracksuit is a disability it was lucky it didn't come from Primark (or as it is known in some circles as Primarni ) .
Sol Campbell abuse on 11:10 - Jan 30 with 5650 viewsJuzzie

Sol Campbell abuse on 09:58 - Jan 30 by LunarJetman

Mate, you can't have just a little homophobic, either something is homophobic or it isn't.

I'd question why anyone would think men holding hands is funny anyway..... I'm sure if you broadened your mind a little you could find funnier things to enjoy anyway...

Just like one of Man City's goal against us at LR...... Gary Neville said on Sky Sports "it was a little bit off side and a little bit of a foul, but what a great goal!". No, it was offside and a foul so it should not have stood.
Login to get fewer ads

Sol Campbell abuse on 11:15 - Jan 30 with 5637 viewsqpr85

Sol Campbell abuse on 09:58 - Jan 30 by LunarJetman

Wow didn't think that tongue in cheek comment would be picked apart. I'm sorry it offended you.
No men holding hands isn't funny to me but singing it to men women and children because they come from Brighton is funny. It's a silly song that I liked when I heard it. It's not homophobic, it's a joke.

My original point has been proven, you can't say naff all without offending someone.

My post was also meant to showcase how we are still far from having an openly gay footballer, whether that's what people believe we should have or not, it's still a long way away.

Edit: Before anyone miss construeds the statement of whether we should have one or not. Being 2019 it shouldn't matter whether they are gay or not but if they were wanting to come out clearly there are people that would make their professional life a misery.
Sol Campbell abuse on 11:23 - Jan 30 with 5614 viewsBuckR

Sol Campbell abuse on 11:15 - Jan 30 by qpr85

Wow didn't think that tongue in cheek comment would be picked apart. I'm sorry it offended you.
No men holding hands isn't funny to me but singing it to men women and children because they come from Brighton is funny. It's a silly song that I liked when I heard it. It's not homophobic, it's a joke.

My original point has been proven, you can't say naff all without offending someone.

My post was also meant to showcase how we are still far from having an openly gay footballer, whether that's what people believe we should have or not, it's still a long way away.

Edit: Before anyone miss construeds the statement of whether we should have one or not. Being 2019 it shouldn't matter whether they are gay or not but if they were wanting to come out clearly there are people that would make their professional life a misery.

Dont get this obsession there is with having an openly gay footballer either. Dosent bother me in the slightest what people get up to in their private life or what their sexual orientation is
Sol Campbell abuse on 11:41 - Jan 30 with 5579 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not even a tiny bit offended, and certainly not angry, qpr85, I just don't get it. I don't find it funny in the slightest, it's prehistoric waffle at best.

And I don't agree that every one who disagrees with homophobic chanting (no matter what the perceived level of it) get offended by everything. Speaking for myself, I'm not offended, I just disagree with it and think it's wrong and mystifying.

Sol Campbell abuse on 12:28 - Jan 30 with 5474 viewsqpr85

Sol Campbell abuse on 11:41 - Jan 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not even a tiny bit offended, and certainly not angry, qpr85, I just don't get it. I don't find it funny in the slightest, it's prehistoric waffle at best.

And I don't agree that every one who disagrees with homophobic chanting (no matter what the perceived level of it) get offended by everything. Speaking for myself, I'm not offended, I just disagree with it and think it's wrong and mystifying.

Mate that wasn't directed at you, I like to think I correctly guessed your opinion was counter to mine rather than being offended.

The whole everyone being offended was a broader statement about people being wound up by jokes and look for the "hate crime" hidden within them whether it was there to begin with or not.
The song obviously isn't for everyone and probably shouldn't be sung nowadays anyway, but it was funny when I first heard it. Probably because it was over 12 years ago so yes it's old but prehistoric is going a bit far!?!

The whole thing was more trying to see what others thought about the current state of society being offended by jokes and about an openly gay footballer rather than the song. Again it was tongue in cheek and my point got lost completely.
Sol Campbell abuse on 12:48 - Jan 30 with 5416 viewsstowmarketrange

Sol Campbell abuse on 11:10 - Jan 30 by Juzzie

Just like one of Man City's goal against us at LR...... Gary Neville said on Sky Sports "it was a little bit off side and a little bit of a foul, but what a great goal!". No, it was offside and a foul so it should not have stood.

It was Phil Neville but the point is still the same.
Sol Campbell abuse on 12:51 - Jan 30 with 5409 viewsLunarJetman

Sol Campbell abuse on 12:28 - Jan 30 by qpr85

Mate that wasn't directed at you, I like to think I correctly guessed your opinion was counter to mine rather than being offended.

The whole everyone being offended was a broader statement about people being wound up by jokes and look for the "hate crime" hidden within them whether it was there to begin with or not.
The song obviously isn't for everyone and probably shouldn't be sung nowadays anyway, but it was funny when I first heard it. Probably because it was over 12 years ago so yes it's old but prehistoric is going a bit far!?!

The whole thing was more trying to see what others thought about the current state of society being offended by jokes and about an openly gay footballer rather than the song. Again it was tongue in cheek and my point got lost completely.

Just to add to this discussion, I wasn't offended by your comments, I just don't think what you said was remotely funny.

I was just responding to your comments that you'd want to sing it as you find it very funny.
Sol Campbell abuse on 12:57 - Jan 30 with 5391 viewsR_from_afar

In my office on Monday, this new guy was talking to me about a customer from a certain country, and referring to their inhabitants, launched into a sentence beginning: "Now, I'm not being racist, but...".

You know what is coming next and sure enough, bullseye: he trotted out one of the classic racist cliches, not realising that he was talking about a nationality I am related to by marriage.

I do sometimes wonder if these people have a genetic condition which means that their brains and mouths work completely independently

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sol Campbell abuse on 13:21 - Jan 30 with 5326 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sound, I didn't think you were having a pop at me. Listen, if we were down the pub we'd just be chatting over a couple of pints and all would be well. Same on here.

I think you might be right that English football may still be miles away from having an openly gay footballer. Maybe. Maybe I'm wrong.

As others have said on here, though, I don't care if they are gay, or if they are openly so, or otherwise. But I'd like to hope that if someone who played football, was gay and wanted to chat about it in public that they'd be able to.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 14:17]

Sol Campbell abuse on 14:48 - Jan 30 with 5198 viewssmegma

It was only funny in the 70s. Society has moved on. Try it yourself.
Sol Campbell abuse on 15:30 - Jan 30 with 5136 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think you’ve missed the point. It’s not a question of whether you find it funny, but whether the subject of your humour does. That’s where society has changed, and for the better.

Just because you find it a little bit funny is fine, in its way it is, but to subject someone to it who might not find it funny, but insulting, is the issue and why it’s deemed fair to subject them to ridicule or worse is not funny. Because before you know it, some knuckle dragger takes it as their cue to go one step further because hey, it’s only a laugh and they were only joking!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sol Campbell abuse on 15:43 - Jan 30 with 5111 viewsrobith

Sol Campbell abuse on 16:08 - Jan 30 with 5051 viewsloftboy

Sol Campbell abuse on 12:57 - Jan 30 by R_from_afar

In my office on Monday, this new guy was talking to me about a customer from a certain country, and referring to their inhabitants, launched into a sentence beginning: "Now, I'm not being racist, but...".

You know what is coming next and sure enough, bullseye: he trotted out one of the classic racist cliches, not realising that he was talking about a nationality I am related to by marriage.

I do sometimes wonder if these people have a genetic condition which means that their brains and mouths work completely independently

RFA

When I started my current job 3 years ago one of the blokes started talking like he was an Indian, I said in good humour “ oi my girlfriends half Indian” he replied “sorry mate I didn’t realise” and changed to a German accent. Should have seen his face when I told him her other half is German.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sol Campbell abuse on 16:08 - Jan 30 with 5050 viewshopphoops

The holding hands thing is not offensive to Brighton fans but to gay people in general as it is presenting gayness as something to be ridiculed. Just as John Terry's special "black" and "bastard" combo presents being black as a negative thing.

There is a bit of a double standard going on with the funniness exception though. "Ginger wânkër" is likely to offend to some degree, but "Strawberry blonde? You're having a laugh" is funny so ok even though the underlying point is the same.

Similarly between the awful "Joleon Lescott, the elephant man" and "Martin Keown, he's got a monkey's head" which does make me chuckle even though he may hate it.

(He does though.)

(There was once a great banner at a Milan game which translated as MAN IS DESCENDED FROM GATTUSO.)
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 16:09]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Sol Campbell abuse on 17:34 - Jan 30 with 4909 viewsloftboy

Sol Campbell abuse on 16:08 - Jan 30 by hopphoops

The holding hands thing is not offensive to Brighton fans but to gay people in general as it is presenting gayness as something to be ridiculed. Just as John Terry's special "black" and "bastard" combo presents being black as a negative thing.

There is a bit of a double standard going on with the funniness exception though. "Ginger wânkër" is likely to offend to some degree, but "Strawberry blonde? You're having a laugh" is funny so ok even though the underlying point is the same.

Similarly between the awful "Joleon Lescott, the elephant man" and "Martin Keown, he's got a monkey's head" which does make me chuckle even though he may hate it.

(He does though.)

(There was once a great banner at a Milan game which translated as MAN IS DESCENDED FROM GATTUSO.)
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 16:09]

Or forgetting Peter Beardsley getting called Quasimodo.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sol Campbell abuse on 17:54 - Jan 30 with 4869 viewspaulparker

Just to keep score on here we are thoroughly outraged by this but find gassing brexit voters in stoke all jolly japes ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sol Campbell abuse on 18:59 - Jan 30 with 4764 viewskensalriser

Sol Campbell abuse on 17:54 - Jan 30 by paulparker

Just to keep score on here we are thoroughly outraged by this but find gassing brexit voters in stoke all jolly japes ?

Congrats - you just won non-sequitur of the month.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sol Campbell abuse on 19:09 - Jan 30 with 4753 viewspaulparker

Sol Campbell abuse on 18:59 - Jan 30 by kensalriser

Congrats - you just won non-sequitur of the month.

Nothing absurd about my post it’s an observation of the hypocrisy of this forum and some of its members

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024