Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is well worth a watch. 23:54 - Jan 30 with 3885 viewsSnipper

It’s the media view of Man City v QPR in that game.

They seem to think that we relaxed when we knew we were safe.

But if the real QPR away team performances had materialised that day, Sky wouldn’t have had their wànkathon. We never get any credit for it either.

This is well worth a watch. on 12:44 - Jan 31 with 906 viewsFDC

This is well worth a watch. on 07:39 - Jan 31 by Tonto

I always got the impression that half the team relaxed... the half on the right side of the pitch nearest the dugout that is...

I remered it like this: We were jumping up and down as we found out Bolton had drawn and we were safe as we took the kick off.

The bench rewated tonthat and those nearest The bench were asking what's going on? But that message was filtering across and that's what caused our confusion... we were looking the the bench not what was going on...

I never understood why Kenny didn't take longer with his punt up field... he could have done. I always thought he knew...

And yes Barton was a total sh1t

That's how i remember it too. I was listening to the Bolton game with one ear, and reporting it to people around me. That was FT quite a bit before ours ended if I remember correctly, and we were celebrating and even had time to say "it'd be nuts if City won it now".
This is well worth a watch. on 12:47 - Jan 31 with 904 viewsFDC

This is well worth a watch. on 10:35 - Jan 31 by RBlock

I'm almost glad we didn't win it tbh. As you say, had City not won the title things could have got a bit hairy. As it ended up however, we were all celebrating together with the added bonus of pissing off United and Fergie also.

I met up with my wife's terminally ill, life-long City supporting god father in town afterwards, and we went out drinking and celebrating together. To say he was chuffed would be understating it.

I remember the fact that he got to see his team win the league in the most dramatic way imaginable shortly before he died fondly -- another layer to memory of that epic afternoon!
This is well worth a watch. on 12:49 - Jan 31 with 894 viewsSydneyRs

This is well worth a watch. on 12:44 - Jan 31 by FDC

That's how i remember it too. I was listening to the Bolton game with one ear, and reporting it to people around me. That was FT quite a bit before ours ended if I remember correctly, and we were celebrating and even had time to say "it'd be nuts if City won it now".

I had an online feed here in oz and news of the Bolton result came through before City's second goal.
This is well worth a watch. on 12:58 - Jan 31 with 872 viewsloftboy

This is well worth a watch. on 10:42 - Jan 31 by SydneyRs

This. Far more dramatic and at the ground of the team that would have won the title otherwise. That game ended Liverpool's dominance of the English game and they have yet to recover.

They won the title the following year! They beat us to clinch it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

This is well worth a watch. on 13:40 - Jan 31 with 831 viewshamptonhillhoop

Clint Hill didn't know. He was slapping the ground in frustration when Aguero scored. Either that or just very angry we'd conceded so late
This is well worth a watch. on 14:48 - Jan 31 with 775 viewsstowmarketrange

This is well worth a watch. on 13:40 - Jan 31 by hamptonhillhoop

Clint Hill didn't know. He was slapping the ground in frustration when Aguero scored. Either that or just very angry we'd conceded so late

You’re right mate.Not many of our defence knew we were safe by the time the winning goal went in.You could see by the reaction of some of them to that goal that they thought they’d blown it.
This is well worth a watch. on 15:04 - Jan 31 with 762 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I did not give a single good god damn one way or the other.

I watched it on a live stream and had just found we were safe. The relief was enormous.

After that, I bought a beer.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

This is well worth a watch. on 16:54 - Jan 31 with 731 viewsstowmarketrange

This is well worth a watch. on 15:04 - Jan 31 by BrianMcCarthy

I did not give a single good god damn one way or the other.

I watched it on a live stream and had just found we were safe. The relief was enormous.

After that, I bought a beer.

My brother was there and he said that the city fans were doing the cutthroat signs just before they scored.30 seconds later everyone wanted to shake hands and party.
Login to get fewer ads

This is well worth a watch. on 17:35 - Jan 31 with 705 viewsJuzzie

This is well worth a watch. on 16:54 - Jan 31 by stowmarketrange

My brother was there and he said that the city fans were doing the cutthroat signs just before they scored.30 seconds later everyone wanted to shake hands and party.

Yup! I was right on one end, to the right as you look at the pitch from the seat, of the upper tier block with just that black netting covering about 10 seats width. They were doing that to us and I looked at them in dismay as if we have any control over what happens on the pitch. Then a minute or so later they were desperate to climb over the net and get to us...... to shake hands & hug! Bizzare couple of minutes!

[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 17:36]
This is well worth a watch. on 18:20 - Jan 31 with 653 viewsRangersDave

i still think if that match as 'us giving it to them, once we knew we were safe', not saying there was a plan, just that we did visually relax as soon as we knew.

Heck i knew in the stand even with their grounds patchy internet

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

This is well worth a watch. on 19:49 - Jan 31 with 616 viewsonlyrinmoray

Still hard to watch... but sod it we had our Zamooooora moment a few years later
This is well worth a watch. on 21:48 - Jan 31 with 563 viewsSydneyRs

This is well worth a watch. on 12:58 - Jan 31 by loftboy

They won the title the following year! They beat us to clinch it.

Yes but that was their last title so the long standing dominance was over and has never returned. Its one thing getting two very late goals at home to beat a relegation haunted and exhausted team who had lost concentration with your multi, multi million pound no expense spared team, quite another to go away to the title favourites and leaders having to win by two and snatching it in the last minute.

There was a real aura about and fear of Anfield before that Arsenal game. Nobody really gave them a chance of going up there and winning by 2 goals. Liverpool would get the soft penalty they always used to get etc. The scousers even tried to get the first goal disallowed, surrounding the ref claiming handball when there was a clear mud mark on Alan Smith's face from where he connected with it when scoring.

As the other poster mentioned, the likes of City and Chelsea have simply bought their league titles. In fact the only good thing about City is that they are not Chelsea. The Arsenal side in 89 featured several home grown players developed by the club so in my view its a much bigger achievement doing it away from home at your title rivals' ground.

[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 22:55]
This is well worth a watch. on 22:13 - Jan 31 with 540 viewsNorthernr

We actually only completed 82 passes over 94 mins that day which is astounding if you think about it. Summed up by the kick off after the Dzeko goal. It was a record low for the league but was beaten fairly recently I think.
This is well worth a watch. on 22:31 - Jan 31 with 518 viewsFDC

This is well worth a watch. on 17:35 - Jan 31 by Juzzie

Yup! I was right on one end, to the right as you look at the pitch from the seat, of the upper tier block with just that black netting covering about 10 seats width. They were doing that to us and I looked at them in dismay as if we have any control over what happens on the pitch. Then a minute or so later they were desperate to climb over the net and get to us...... to shake hands & hug! Bizzare couple of minutes!

[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 17:36]

A strange memory I have is of the City supporters over on that side suddenly cheering as if they had just heard that Bolton had scored -- which they hadn't. Lot's of people were checking with me whether id heard they had scored on the commentary, and we couldn't work out what was going on with the city supporters. Obviously they must have been on a wind up, but I could never work out how so many of them could have cheered in synchronisation as if they'd all just heard a goal go in.
This is well worth a watch. on 22:34 - Jan 31 with 513 viewsdaveB

This is well worth a watch. on 22:31 - Jan 31 by FDC

A strange memory I have is of the City supporters over on that side suddenly cheering as if they had just heard that Bolton had scored -- which they hadn't. Lot's of people were checking with me whether id heard they had scored on the commentary, and we couldn't work out what was going on with the city supporters. Obviously they must have been on a wind up, but I could never work out how so many of them could have cheered in synchronisation as if they'd all just heard a goal go in.

a rumour went round that Sunderland had equalised against United, thats why they celebrated
This is well worth a watch. on 22:58 - Jan 31 with 482 viewsSydneyRs

This is well worth a watch. on 22:13 - Jan 31 by Northernr

We actually only completed 82 passes over 94 mins that day which is astounding if you think about it. Summed up by the kick off after the Dzeko goal. It was a record low for the league but was beaten fairly recently I think.

That kick off is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in a match. Very odd indeed. Makes you wonder.
This is well worth a watch. on 23:15 - Jan 31 with 466 viewsdaveB

This is well worth a watch. on 22:58 - Jan 31 by SydneyRs

That kick off is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in a match. Very odd indeed. Makes you wonder.

makes you wonder what? The Bolton game was still being played at that time and they didn't score the 3rd for another few minutes. It was just a brain fart from Bothroyd
This is well worth a watch. on 00:43 - Feb 1 with 441 viewstimcocking

We did relax when we heard we were safe. That one second pause, it cost us the game. Drives me up the wall.
This is well worth a watch. on 01:18 - Feb 1 with 437 viewsbob566

This is well worth a watch. on 12:27 - Jan 31 by ManinBlack

We only lost 6-1 to Chelsea. Please don't add another goal to the record books.

The fact of the matter is that if people wanted QPR to receive any praise for that game then we had to ensure we didn't lose. The stoppage time fiasco killed that hope as the records show we lost. All the great work in 90 minutes that was being praised as the match unfolded was chucked away in added time.

If we had at least drawn the game,that nobody gave us a cat in hell's chance of getting anything, then our performance would have been remembered in how we played our part in Man United winning the title. Had we held on to win we would have gone into folklore as the team that upset the applecart. Subsequent visits to City saw us lose easily to them including the 6-0 debacle in our last visit to them. Who knows we may never get another chance to win at their stadium as the gap is increasing between us with each passing year. I still rage about it now in the realisation that every year this defeat will appear on my tv screen probably for the rest of my life.

It is a comparable defeat to how Bayern lost the Champions League final to United in the last few minutes. Nobody remembers that Bayern battered them most of the game. All that matters is the result. Whilst I agree Arsenal beating Liverpool at Anfield was the greater feat, you have to remember Arsenal only required one more goal in the dying minutes whereas City had to get two and that is probably why City's win is more lauded. Also the little matter of them pipping their city neighbours to the title thrown in.

I said at the time we should have won the match and taken the accolades as which Manchester club won the league was irrelevant to us and not celebrated United losing out. It was patently obvious with their billions that City would start dominating the Premier League for many years to come and that if they had missed out against us it wouldn't be long before they did win it. We would have just delayed the inevitable. People will be just as sick of City, as they have been with Liverpool and United in the past, in the coming years. People will question themselves as to why they were we so happy to see City win the league that day like those people who were pleased to see Liverpool win the title in 1976 and what happened after that. Be careful what you wish for...

Thats a great post. City have bought a team over a billion squids. United havent even done that. City have third choice players in positions worth over 30 mill. No home grown players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024