Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s your views on this 15:51 - May 31 with 3140 viewsloftboy

Extinction rebellion planning to close Heathrow by flying drones over it.
As far as I can see it’s going to affect consumers more than anyone and is tantamount to blackmail, a spokesman said its enough notice for holiday makers to change their plans, do they know how much it costs to transfer flights at short notice. This is going to affect people who have saved all year for their well deserved holiday.

https://news.sky.com/story/extinction-rebellion-climate-protesters-plan-to-use-d

Edited to add the link
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:55]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What’s your views on this on 16:01 - May 31 with 2447 viewsbob566

haven't read it yet but isn't it ironic that if planes get redirected and landed because of this and people have to take extra flights to fly back into heathrow at a later time then surely they're increasing carbon emissions.
What’s your views on this on 16:02 - May 31 with 2442 viewsBuckR

Absolutely selfish. Fair enough if you want to protest but this does not solve anything.

Can bet half of them are massive hypocrites just like Emma Thompson who flew in from LA to take part in the protests in London in April! Couldn't make it up!
[Post edited 31 May 2019 16:27]
What’s your views on this on 16:04 - May 31 with 2434 viewsToast_R

Depends which side of the fence you sit on the issue. Some will say the issue at hand is infinitely more important then someones package trip to to the Canary Islands, others might say there's a whole host of reasons people will be flying out from Heathrow not all flights are for holidays. Others will say they don't care enough about climate change to warrant sacrificing their family holiday which as you say, they've spent a ridiculous amount of money on and for some unwashed foolhardy echo warrior from the middle classed of England to jeopardize it is outrageous.

The way I see it, I'm not going anywhere this summer other than Weymouth, good luck to them if they think it will help save our planet. I'd rather they created an illegal Woodstock or something...
[Post edited 31 May 2019 16:05]
What’s your views on this on 16:06 - May 31 with 2415 viewsBluce_Ree

It's a c*nt's trick. You don't know if someone on that plane is flying in for medical treatment. You don't know if a delay will cause someone to miss something important.

That's the problem these days, everyone has a voice but certain people want to be heard over the rest.

Sure, don't fk up the planet. I get that. But don't be acting like a cock to prove a point.

Especially if you're some student prick.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

What’s your views on this on 17:35 - May 31 with 2253 viewsBostonR

If they feck up my collection of gold card and avios points I will personally lay a few of them out.
What’s your views on this on 18:23 - May 31 with 2189 viewsStanisgod

I'm back from Turkey the 17 th 😁😁

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

What’s your views on this on 18:25 - May 31 with 2177 viewsR_from_afar

It's going too far.

However, you need to remember that one of the things which gave birth to the ER movement is the members' conviction that the time has come to stop petitioning governments in the hope that they will finally take decisive action and try something else...because the old approach is not working. Waiting for our leaders has produced a slow and wholly inadequate response which will, if there is no drastic action soon, result in tipping points being passed. I mean, the first politician to make a major speech about environmental catastrophe was Thatcher - over 20 years ago!

What we are talking about is places not just overseas but in the UK too becoming uninhabitable. We are talking about hundreds of millions of climate refugees. Think about how many cities are on coasts, then ponder the fact that the last time CO2 levels were this high, sea levels were 50 metres higher.

Here is a taste of what is to come for us in the UK, if we don't take meaningful action:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/18/this-is-a-wake-up-call-the-v

And when I say meaningful action, that means consumers too, those people flying on their doubtless well-earned holidays, me included. We are part of the problem too. Flying is just about the worst thing you can do for the environment. We need to cut back on flying, all of us, David Attenborough too. Go on holiday by train, it's great, I went to Milan by train. Super trip.

Oh and not everyone who cares about the planet is a student or an unwashed hippie who lives in a yurt/tree/commune. I went on a climate change march and there were a lot of "ordinary" people on it.

If you have children, think about how they are going to cope with the earth we are bequeathing them.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What’s your views on this on 19:57 - May 31 with 2066 viewsRangersDave

Let the maggots go chain themselves (or glue themselves) to Chinese, Indian or even Russian complexes and see exactly who really cares about their cause.

I guarantee you that none of those 3 actually do. They may talk a good hame, but they dont.
FFS, one of those countries still use coal powered dirty steam engines in their coalfields.

Or failing that find them, herd them together in a sports hall, and invite all the people who have been inconvenienced, missed their holidays. missed operations, lost contracts so that workers lose jobs, missed out on seeing loved ones etc, to go and visit them in the sports hall to explain to them just how unhappy they are about it all!
[Post edited 31 May 2019 20:00]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Login to get fewer ads

What’s your views on this on 20:20 - May 31 with 2023 viewsJuzzie

Great, We’re due to fly into Heathrow on June 6th from a family holiday and no, we cannot change plans notice or no notice.

I’m against a third runway and live 6 miles from Heathrow but this will just punish ordinary people while all the MP’s will probably have private flights in and out of Northolt.

If Emma fkin Thomson flies in before they plan to do this she should get an absolute rollocking. Hypocritical arse.
What’s your views on this on 20:23 - May 31 with 2022 viewsSharpy36

What could be construed as an act of terrorism, putting thousands of lives at risk. We should issue a shot to kill policy.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

What’s your views on this on 21:09 - May 31 with 1963 viewssmegma

I fly out of T5 on Wednesday for some England games in Portugal. I will bring some extra bars of soap with me, that will disperse them.
What’s your views on this on 21:13 - May 31 with 1957 viewsBlackCrowe

Alas we're in a directionless trajectory under the current govt with labour and the rest equally pathetic and divided and all of them desperate to appeal to everyone. It gives relevance and legitimacy to anyone that has a cause not matter how worthy or half-baked it may be.

We're fckd. Hope this helps, no thanks need, etc etc etc

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

What’s your views on this on 21:51 - May 31 with 1903 viewsPunteR

Just shoot the drones down. Honestly.. is it that hard to take out what is effectively a remote controlled car??
Idiot activists and their worthy cause. Yeh basically terrorist. Shoot to kill. (im joking obviously)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What’s your views on this on 03:20 - Jun 1 with 1754 viewsSharpy36

What’s your views on this on 21:51 - May 31 by PunteR

Just shoot the drones down. Honestly.. is it that hard to take out what is effectively a remote controlled car??
Idiot activists and their worthy cause. Yeh basically terrorist. Shoot to kill. (im joking obviously)

Dig at my post !

Take the "Worthy cause" to China, who have just managed to produce in the last two years the entire steel production of our country in its entirety. Achieving that whilst being a member of the Paris climate agreement.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

What’s your views on this on 03:27 - Jun 1 with 1751 viewstimcocking

They think the best way to save the environment is by destroying the economy and ruining everybody's' livelihood?

It'd make more sense if it was a direct attack by al Qaeda or Russia.

It's treason and should be dealt with accordingly.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2019 4:02]
What’s your views on this on 03:30 - Jun 1 with 1750 viewsstowmarketrange

We’re flying out of T3 on the 11th July to Vienna so I hope it’s back to normal by then.
All those hypocrites make me laugh.How much of the planet was destroyed because some of these demonstrators didn’t want to walk to school and had to get mummy or daddy to drive them the 1/2 mile instead.
How much of the earths natural resources are being used up to supply them with the latest smartphones?Or the extra electricity generated to power them and the 50’ latest tv?

They could achieve a lot more by protesting at massive office blocks in our cities that have virtually every light on all through the night.In lots of places they have sensors that only switch the lights on when they detect movement.Why can’t they be fitted in every office block in the land?
They switch of the streetlights around here at midnight to save money and electricity but these companies can keep theirs on all night.
What’s your views on this on 07:00 - Jun 1 with 1676 viewsdistortR

quite conflicted on this one.

The way we live is unsustainable, and that very much includes air travel.

However, as a working man, I know how angry I would be that any family holiday I could afford would be adversely effected.

So, albeit rather hypercritically, I would say no to this action.

on this thread, It pisses off the amount of stereotyping of climate change protesters there is. The media helps maintain the status quo by typecasting dissenters and other marginalised groups, demeaning and deriding them and turning people against each other. See also migrants, working classes etc

And if disagreement is treason.............well, humans have been there before and it doesn't end well.

A final point, our short-sighted, career obsessed, self serving politicians have mostly ignored the devastation of our, well, home.

Extinction rebellion come along and do some direct action, rather then just petition, and our politicians announce ' a climate emergency'. "see, we've done something, you can all go home now". Well, those pretty words amount to nothing but empowerment for extinction rebellion.

I would say - occupy! and Stop the City - but let us workers have our playtime.
What’s your views on this on 08:10 - Jun 1 with 1624 viewsPunteR

What’s your views on this on 03:20 - Jun 1 by Sharpy36

Dig at my post !

Take the "Worthy cause" to China, who have just managed to produce in the last two years the entire steel production of our country in its entirety. Achieving that whilst being a member of the Paris climate agreement.

Ha sorry mate wasn't a dig at you at all.
I thought you were joking as well?
[Post edited 1 Jun 2019 8:12]

What’s your views on this on 08:20 - Jun 1 with 1614 viewsPunteR

Isn't this basically what the rail companies do?

What’s your views on this on 08:58 - Jun 1 with 1570 viewshorshamHoop

What’s your views on this on 18:25 - May 31 by R_from_afar

It's going too far.

However, you need to remember that one of the things which gave birth to the ER movement is the members' conviction that the time has come to stop petitioning governments in the hope that they will finally take decisive action and try something else...because the old approach is not working. Waiting for our leaders has produced a slow and wholly inadequate response which will, if there is no drastic action soon, result in tipping points being passed. I mean, the first politician to make a major speech about environmental catastrophe was Thatcher - over 20 years ago!

What we are talking about is places not just overseas but in the UK too becoming uninhabitable. We are talking about hundreds of millions of climate refugees. Think about how many cities are on coasts, then ponder the fact that the last time CO2 levels were this high, sea levels were 50 metres higher.

Here is a taste of what is to come for us in the UK, if we don't take meaningful action:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/18/this-is-a-wake-up-call-the-v

And when I say meaningful action, that means consumers too, those people flying on their doubtless well-earned holidays, me included. We are part of the problem too. Flying is just about the worst thing you can do for the environment. We need to cut back on flying, all of us, David Attenborough too. Go on holiday by train, it's great, I went to Milan by train. Super trip.

Oh and not everyone who cares about the planet is a student or an unwashed hippie who lives in a yurt/tree/commune. I went on a climate change march and there were a lot of "ordinary" people on it.

If you have children, think about how they are going to cope with the earth we are bequeathing them.

You make some very good points, however one of the reasons that they are targeting Heathrow is that it is mainly frequent flying business travellers that cause the problem and not the once a year holidaymakers.
They want the new runway stopped.
As an individual, reducing the amount of meat you eat and reducing the amount of clothes you buy would be a good start in helping the green cause.
What’s your views on this on 09:51 - Jun 1 with 1519 viewsGroveR

Climate refugees eh? That'll get Katie Hopkins and Nigel Farage on board.
What’s your views on this on 10:11 - Jun 1 with 1497 viewshubble

What’s your views on this on 19:57 - May 31 by RangersDave

Let the maggots go chain themselves (or glue themselves) to Chinese, Indian or even Russian complexes and see exactly who really cares about their cause.

I guarantee you that none of those 3 actually do. They may talk a good hame, but they dont.
FFS, one of those countries still use coal powered dirty steam engines in their coalfields.

Or failing that find them, herd them together in a sports hall, and invite all the people who have been inconvenienced, missed their holidays. missed operations, lost contracts so that workers lose jobs, missed out on seeing loved ones etc, to go and visit them in the sports hall to explain to them just how unhappy they are about it all!
[Post edited 31 May 2019 20:00]

Your first point is the kicker: China and India produce a vast amount of toxic pollution and waste. China, for all its boasts about being a technological super power, can't even provide safe tap drinking water for its 1.4 billion citizens. This means all water in China is drunk from plastic bottles. Billions of plastic bottles a day. I'd like to see ER take them on. Where are the protests outside the Chinese embassy? All their targets so far have been soft targets and their protests will have zero impact on the world's worst polluting countries.

But it wouldn't be fair to single out just those countries and I'm not sure why you missed them from your list Dave, but the USA is the second highest source of CO2 emissions in the world from fuel combustion. And German, not shy of flaunting its green credentials, is 6th on the list. The UK is way back at 15th. https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

What’s your views on this on 11:05 - Jun 1 with 1428 viewsenfieldargh

I'm out of T5 tomorrow, I may never be seen again

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

What’s your views on this on 11:26 - Jun 1 with 1394 viewsTW_R

What’s your views on this on 10:11 - Jun 1 by hubble

Your first point is the kicker: China and India produce a vast amount of toxic pollution and waste. China, for all its boasts about being a technological super power, can't even provide safe tap drinking water for its 1.4 billion citizens. This means all water in China is drunk from plastic bottles. Billions of plastic bottles a day. I'd like to see ER take them on. Where are the protests outside the Chinese embassy? All their targets so far have been soft targets and their protests will have zero impact on the world's worst polluting countries.

But it wouldn't be fair to single out just those countries and I'm not sure why you missed them from your list Dave, but the USA is the second highest source of CO2 emissions in the world from fuel combustion. And German, not shy of flaunting its green credentials, is 6th on the list. The UK is way back at 15th. https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-

I have you right Hubble. UK emissions relate to around 1% of global emissions annually. The likes of Saudi Arabia have double that, but half the population. If we stopped all UK emissions overnight, it would have zero impact.

The interesting thing is we are actually progressing reasonably well, particularly when compared to the nations that contribute over 50% of the global carbon output. Our carbon emissions are currently at their lowest since the 1890s and we are continuing to reduce our use of coal. In fact apparently we haven’t used coal to generate electricity for 2 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48473259
What’s your views on this on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 1363 viewsRangersDave

What’s your views on this on 10:11 - Jun 1 by hubble

Quite right mate,

i was going to list the others, but knew that the muppets wouldnt go to those 3 countries to complain directly, as they would never be seen again, so thereby being all mouth and trousers.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024