Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 92918 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:34 - Aug 24 with 1873 viewsjonno

England won't score 150 and will be beaten by over 200 runs.
Ashes thread on 12:37 - Aug 24 with 1866 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 12:34 - Aug 24 by jonno

England won't score 150 and will be beaten by over 200 runs.

Yeah, I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we last much beyond the tea interval.
Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 24 with 1842 viewsstevec

45 runs a session, should be a doddle
Ashes thread on 12:49 - Aug 24 with 1843 viewsShunter

8 sessions to get 359 - approx 45 runs per session.
No rush - no stupid shots - take the Boycott path - simple ! LOL
Ashes thread on 13:51 - Aug 24 with 1816 viewsNov77

Burns gone playing at one he didn’t need to, they just don’t learn do they?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 13:53 - Aug 24 with 1804 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 13:51 - Aug 24 by Nov77

Burns gone playing at one he didn’t need to, they just don’t learn do they?

Nope. And the procession starts again.....
Ashes thread on 13:56 - Aug 24 with 1797 viewsNov77

Roy done by a good ball, can’t see him ever opening the innings for England again.

Will we reach 67?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 13:56 - Aug 24 with 1793 viewsRangersw12

Worst batting line up since the late 90's

Feel sorry for the bowlers
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 13:58 - Aug 24 with 1795 viewsozexile

Please selectors be humane and drop Roy. It's getting ridiculous now.
Ashes thread on 14:51 - Aug 24 with 1742 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes thread on 12:49 - Aug 24 by Shunter

8 sessions to get 359 - approx 45 runs per session.
No rush - no stupid shots - take the Boycott path - simple ! LOL

This scenario would be Boycott's dream. Sadly the England line-up is chiefly made up of 1 day players lacking the ability to adapt to Test match-play. It would need at least 3-4 batsmen to change the habit of a lifetime and grind it out.
Ashes thread on 15:43 - Aug 24 with 1706 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 13:58 - Aug 24 by ozexile

Please selectors be humane and drop Roy. It's getting ridiculous now.

Ashes thread on 15:57 - Aug 24 with 1683 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 15:43 - Aug 24 by Nov77

Tbf, Rutherford was also a Nobel Prize winning physicist.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 17:35 - Aug 24 with 1619 viewsCamberleyR

Bloody awful lbw decision correctly overturned on review.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 17:38 - Aug 24 with 1608 viewsRangersw12

We will still more than likely lose but at least we're making the Aussies toil a bit and work for the wickets

Big if but if only 4 down by close we have a chance
Ashes thread on 17:58 - Aug 24 with 1590 viewsNov77

Need to up the run rate a little, don’t want to still need 150 plus when they get 2nd new ball

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Aug 24 with 1558 viewsClive_Anderson

Showed some fight today, still in with a shout.
Ashes thread on 21:02 - Aug 24 with 1471 viewsloftus77

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Aug 24 by Clive_Anderson

Good fight today - but can't see it, sorry.

Frustrating - just imagine if we had been 156-3 in the first innings....
Ashes thread on 21:18 - Aug 24 with 1449 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Aug 24 by Clive_Anderson

no we're not I'm afraid. but i'm very happy to proved wrong.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 21:36 - Aug 24 with 1433 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Aug 24 by loftus77

Good fight today - but can't see it, sorry.

Frustrating - just imagine if we had been 156-3 in the first innings....

Yeah, even if we do pull this off it shouldn't paper over what happened in the first innings. If anything, the way they played today shows up just how stupid that was - it's not that they can't play properly, they just didn't.
Ashes thread on 01:14 - Aug 25 with 1345 viewstimcocking

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49461784

All out for 175 then...
Ashes thread on 06:28 - Aug 25 with 1312 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 01:14 - Aug 25 by timcocking

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49461784

All out for 175 then...

Have to beg to differ a little here. In the still very unlikely event that we do pull this off it will be such an enormous achievement that I would be prepared to overlook an awful lot of what has gone before.
And hopefully we can learn from it. Now Root Denly and Stokes have all demonstrated that they remember what Test Match batting is all about maybe they can carry this approach forward into the last two tests and forget the “brand” boll-cks that Root harps on about.
Ashes thread on 06:31 - Aug 25 with 1305 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 06:28 - Aug 25 by johnhoop

Have to beg to differ a little here. In the still very unlikely event that we do pull this off it will be such an enormous achievement that I would be prepared to overlook an awful lot of what has gone before.
And hopefully we can learn from it. Now Root Denly and Stokes have all demonstrated that they remember what Test Match batting is all about maybe they can carry this approach forward into the last two tests and forget the “brand” boll-cks that Root harps on about.

Wasn’t meant to refer back to the post immediately above but the one before that.
Ashes thread on 06:45 - Aug 25 with 1296 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 21:36 - Aug 24 by CiderwithRsie

Yeah, even if we do pull this off it shouldn't paper over what happened in the first innings. If anything, the way they played today shows up just how stupid that was - it's not that they can't play properly, they just didn't.

Exactly right. The frustrating thing is that these players can bat - if they couldn't they would not be where they are in the game. In the majority of cases they just don't concentrate or have the right attitude. Test cricket is an entirely different game to white ball slogging.
Ashes thread on 10:59 - Aug 25 with 1196 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 06:28 - Aug 25 by johnhoop

Well, I'd forgive a lot if we won - already Root gets kudos from me for not just getting runs but playing more defensively than his usual game and for toughing it out the he must have been feeling like shit.

But like you say, we need to learn from it. I forgave England for getting rolled by Ireland because they came back to win the game but they didn't seem to learn anything from it (Root blaming the pitch was excuse-making and a pretty sh*tty thing to do actually since it was the groundsman's first Test pitch).

We're not that far off a decent Test side - getting back to that Test mentality, bring in Foakes (who's a limited batsmen but does it properly), Sibley or one of the other young guns in place of Roy and drop Denly (sorry Joe, right attitude but not quite good enough) with the bowling looking good and you've got a team.
Ashes thread on 11:30 - Aug 25 with 1186 viewsCamberleyR

Root gone, game over. For England to stand any chance he had to be there at the end with a big hundred.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024