Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? 05:52 - Jul 30 with 7226 views18StoneOfHoop

Dave Clement or David Bardsley?
Or anyone else you care to mention.

Clement died in March 1982 at the age of 34. Suffering from depression, he committed suicide by poisoning himself with weedkiller.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2019 6:45]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 12:56 - Jul 30 with 1572 viewscaliforniahoop

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 12:46 - Jul 30 by westberksr

Simpson currently without a club, amazing really

What a tough call, as s kid, I don’t think I appreciated how good DC was as I was enamoured with Bowles, Thomas, Francis and Mason, looking back it’s obvious he was an outstanding FB. DB was for me, the most underrated RB in Europe let alone England, not to mention our other full back at the time in that era. Southgate would be picking them both nowadays.

The gap between these two and the other RBs that have played for us is huge, but if pushed, I would go Clement, but not a lot in it, RIP No2
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 13:05 - Jul 30 with 1565 viewsCroydonCaptJack

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 09:40 - Jul 30 by smegma

Warren Neill interviewed in the Watford programme on Saturday. He once made a cup of tea but I declined.

We had two good full backs then mate. Him and Dawsie.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 13:31 - Jul 30 with 1537 viewsBacon

Never Saw Clement play, So for me has to be the Bard Grew up watching that team

I was 12 at the start of the 89 season when my dad brought me my first season ticket, it was a great time to be a Rangers fan.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 13:44 - Jul 30 with 1518 viewsAddinall

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 12:18 - Jul 30 by DavieQPR

Remember him. Emigrated to Australia. Although seem to remember he was LB to Tony Inghams RB.

I remember it the other way round.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 13:53 - Jul 30 with 1511 viewsElHoop

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 09:40 - Jul 30 by smegma

Warren Neill interviewed in the Watford programme on Saturday. He once made a cup of tea but I declined.

Didn't go to the game so can't read it. It's good to hear that he's still around anyway. That crop of youngsters - Hucker, Neill, Dawes, Waddock, Goddard, Allen - I think that you could include Stewart and Fereday in that era couldn't you? Anyhow, none of them seemed to play for us for all that long - not as long as the likes of Clement and Gillard for instance. They all ended up somewhere else after a few years.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 14:21 - Jul 30 with 1477 viewsquickpassrotter

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 11:38 - Jul 30 by longbottom

Could not put it better myself. You rightly emphasized his athleticism and that was the essence of the man.
Now remind me how many England caps he won. FFS.

A different era I know - but Gary Neville (who was decent) won 85 Caps for England.
No comparison as a player to Dave Clement, who won just the 5. Incredible really.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 14:52 - Jul 30 with 1443 viewsHantsR

I immediately thought of Dave Clement and if I had any thoughts that it might have been a rose-tinted nostalgic view, I recently watched him on 'The Big Match revisited' - great player and one of our own.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:07 - Jul 30 with 1423 viewsqprxtc

I only saw Dave Clement In his final season 78/79 and that wasn’t much fun for anyone.

Bardsley has been a hero of mine for years and if I really had to name my favourite player in my years watching Rangers it would probably be him. He was class.

However, when he first arrived from Oxford he certainly wasn’t a fan favourite and would often get jeers from a few of our fans. Maybe because he played midfield when first arrived but it always baffled me why he was picked out.

I remember being in the seats at Southampton in 1990/91 in the middle of our miserable nine game losing run (happy days) and as we were losing 3-1, Bardsley and Stejskal were getting plenty of stick. Being young, enthusiastic and fuelled by Guinness I Decided to shout some encouragement for Bardsley.

Cue big bloke sat behind me going ‘You like Bardsley then do ya’, ‘Yeah, I do’ ‘Well, tell you what if he scored the winner in the last minute I wouldn’t cheer. He’s sh!t’.

He went all the way to Southampton and that was his idea of support. It was more important that he was right than it was to support the team.

Ah well, glad things have moved on since then.
Login to get fewer ads

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:12 - Jul 30 with 1414 viewsBoston

Dave Clement, he’s a member of the top echelon of defensive players ever produced in England.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:35 - Jul 30 with 1393 viewsrbsranger

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 10:46 - Jul 30 by qpr1976

Paul Parker ?
RB before moving more central.

As someone noted PP started in the middle and Fergie moved him to RB - Of course Terry Fenwick went the other way - he played FB in the Cup-final team of 82 before moving central. That was a great back 5 - Hucker, Fenwick, Roeder, Hazell & Gillard (admittedly he was at the end of his career that year).
At the time Fenwick was the first full back to score from open-play in a cup final. Can picture the long throw from Stainrod, the flick on from Bob Hazell and then Fenwick arriving at the back to head over Clemence.
There were lots of players to like in that cup final team
Of course the other memory I have of Fenwick is he being the defender that Maradona beat twice in the mazy run for the non-cheating goal of Mexico 86 QF
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:49 - Jul 30 with 1380 viewsElHoop

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:35 - Jul 30 by rbsranger

As someone noted PP started in the middle and Fergie moved him to RB - Of course Terry Fenwick went the other way - he played FB in the Cup-final team of 82 before moving central. That was a great back 5 - Hucker, Fenwick, Roeder, Hazell & Gillard (admittedly he was at the end of his career that year).
At the time Fenwick was the first full back to score from open-play in a cup final. Can picture the long throw from Stainrod, the flick on from Bob Hazell and then Fenwick arriving at the back to head over Clemence.
Of course the other memory I have of Fenwick is he being the defender that Maradona beat twice in the mazy run for the non-cheating goal of Mexico 86 QF

Roeder was suspended from the 1982 final replay and that's when Fenwick moved into the middle and Neill played RB. I might be wrong but I don't think that Fenwick ever went back to FB after that.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 16:16 - Jul 30 with 1359 viewsrbsranger

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:49 - Jul 30 by ElHoop

Roeder was suspended from the 1982 final replay and that's when Fenwick moved into the middle and Neill played RB. I might be wrong but I don't think that Fenwick ever went back to FB after that.

Yep. Sent off two week's earlier at Luton. We got caught on the M1 on the way so missed the first booking and the atmosphere there was really hostile. Miserable bloody place and always hated Luton after that. From the follwing season it was Neill and Dawes at FB
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 16:28 - Jul 30 with 1347 viewsTHEBUSH

Yep Dave Clement for me, fantastic attacking full back.

Can't remember the name of the Ipswich player, but Dave knocked him clean out, during the game.
Must have said something Dave didn't like, anyway Dave got away it. the ref missed it.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 16:58 - Jul 30 with 1314 viewsElHoop

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 16:16 - Jul 30 by rbsranger

Yep. Sent off two week's earlier at Luton. We got caught on the M1 on the way so missed the first booking and the atmosphere there was really hostile. Miserable bloody place and always hated Luton after that. From the follwing season it was Neill and Dawes at FB

Yeah I was at all three of those games in fact. The Luton game was mental. It might have been hostile but what a game - one of the best QPR games I've ever seen. Even though we lost and that defeat ended our promotion hopes, somehow you knew that it was only a matter of time.

Without Roeder we thought that we'd be stuffed in the replay, with a rookie at right back and Fenwick in the middle. As it turned out, they were definitely good enough!
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 17:43 - Jul 30 with 1271 viewsqpr1976

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 15:35 - Jul 30 by rbsranger

And if Fenwick hadn’t been booked early doors prior to that goal, I reckon Fenwick might have tried harder to take him down. Not 100% sure he would have but would have been great to see him try.....
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 18:36 - Jul 30 with 1232 viewsDWQPR

Used to talk to my Dad about the best QPR XI and of course it was dominated to an extent by the 76’ team but he would rate Bardsley above Clement, Wilson above Gillard, Macca above Webb and Ferdinand above Givens. But without doubt one thing is for certain is that the pair of them would not look out of place with premier league football nowadays and would definitely be fighting each other over that England no.2 shirt.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 19:11 - Jul 30 with 1195 viewsdavman

I didn't see Dave Clement, but I bow to those who have seen him and rate him the best.

Warren Neill was good, but the Bard in his pomp was just fantastic should have had more England Caps.

Honourable mentions to Bignot, Orr (not that bad at all), Walker and Simpson.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 19:18 - Jul 30 with 1184 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How did we forget this Beauty!

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 19:34 - Jul 30 with 1164 viewseastside_r

I too am happy to concede that for those that saw both that Clement was better. I remember DC but only as a young lad.

Bardsley however was a joyous footballer, watching him him filled me with joy, even thinking about him playing for us now fills me with joy. A born entertainer, apparently off the field as well.

Did I mention the joy?
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 19:38 - Jul 30 with 1162 viewsDavieQPR

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 13:44 - Jul 30 by Addinall

I remember it the other way round.

Yep your right.
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 20:27 - Jul 30 with 1126 viewskernowhoop

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 11:02 - Jul 30 by Addinall

Anyone still remember Pat Woods?

Yes. A great partnership with Tony Ingham in the days when the defence was much the same every week - Springett, Woods, Ingham, Petchey, Rutter, Angell...
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 21:31 - Jul 30 with 1082 viewsHastings_Hoops

Bardsley without a doubt. I remember in the relegation season standing in the loft and he lost the ball in an attacking position and starting about 5 yards behind their winger he chased back about 50 yards and pulled off a perfectly timed sliding tackle. I still remember the determination on his face - can’t remember who it was against though!
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 21:42 - Jul 30 with 1078 viewsBenny_the_Ball

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 21:31 - Jul 30 by Hastings_Hoops

Bardsley without a doubt. I remember in the relegation season standing in the loft and he lost the ball in an attacking position and starting about 5 yards behind their winger he chased back about 50 yards and pulled off a perfectly timed sliding tackle. I still remember the determination on his face - can’t remember who it was against though!

Is it my imagination or did he then celebrate that tackle like a goal by fist pumping the air?
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 21:50 - Jul 30 with 1074 viewsHastings_Hoops

2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 21:42 - Jul 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Is it my imagination or did he then celebrate that tackle like a goal by fist pumping the air?

That’s the one!... who was it against?
2 is the magic number. Who is QPR's greatest-ever right-back? on 00:01 - Jul 31 with 1021 viewsSuperhoop83

Bardsley was definitely the best player in the history of QPR at standing with his hands on his hips whenever we conceded a goal.

Great player though.

Suffering since 1978.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024