Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1917 16:52 - Jan 13 with 4830 viewsstowmarketrange

Has anyone seen this film yet?I went today and thought it was brilliant,although slightly far fetched in places.Well worth a viewing though.
1917 on 21:38 - Jan 14 with 1816 viewslondonscottish

1917 on 08:42 - Jan 14 by RamseyR

I may be a lone voice, but I'd only give it 6/10.
Very clever how it's made, but that don't necessarily make it a great film. I was really looking forward to it, but left feeling a bit underwhelmed to honest.

I'd agree with that. I thought it was OK but like a lot of modern films I felt it tried to cram an hour and a bit of stuff into 2 hours. I got bored by all the panning shots and sweeping shots. Towards the end one of my kids started trying to contact me so I took the opportunity to get out and do something else with my life.

I'm really interested in that period and have read a lot about it. Im reading Andrew Marrs Story of Modern Britain for example which has a lot of WW1 in it. Was a bit "meh" about the film though.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 21:43]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

1917 on 21:56 - Jan 14 with 1792 viewsitsbiga

1917 on 21:25 - Jan 14 by jtuck

My grandfather fought in the 14-18 war and was then part of the beaten BEF who escaped from Dunkirk.

Personally, thought 1917 much better than Dunkirk. Single story format much better and superb cinematography. Also, lots of f-ing and blinding from all ranks which seemed about right. Here in Southern California, LA Times movie awards reporter tipping it as the frontrunner for Best Picture Oscar after nominations came out on Monday.

The film has flaws, lapsing into fantasy as noted above but gripping.

BTW...other movie top tips from Best Pic list: Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit.

Parasite was brilliant.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

1917 on 08:34 - Jan 15 with 1734 viewsPhildo

I did not like Dunkirk at all like some of the other posters - I thought this was much better than that but not a 'great' film.

It is technically very good - it looks very good but it is very derivative- it owes a big debt to the journey idea in Apocalypse now/Heart of darkness and a number of other war films. I find Mendes a bit like that - he magpies from other things and does it well but does not always admit it.

I would say a 7 out of 10
1917 on 09:01 - Jan 15 with 1715 viewsStratfordBoy

Saw it Sunday. My grandfather joined the Royal Worcesters '17 & was involved in III battle of Ypres on the Somme & I've been on a few battlefield tours in the salient. The film was amazing, better than Dunkirk & good to see it was mostly British actors. The plane crash bit was filmed in the back lot of Shepperton Studio's, I saw the replica Fokker DVII on a sliding plinth every day last summer as I drove to work. Only two criticism's from a historical point of view, they'd learned by 1917 not to flood the established front lines due to the number of casualties incurred, they were usually sparsely manned with a stronger force in the II line but in the film there were literally thousands; & also it occurred to me at the end that when the Devons were chasing the Germans to what is now known as the Hindenburg line how they managed to dig such deep trenches in such a short time? Cinematic licence of course, but nevertheless I can't imagine a better representation of the sheer horror, damage & sheer senselessness of it
1917 on 09:58 - Jan 15 with 1672 viewsRblockPrior

Incredible film, just highlights what a cruel war it was. Hard hitting but I thought it was superb from start to finish

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

1917 on 01:21 - Jan 16 with 1571 viewsitsbiga

Just saw it and thought it was pretty crap.
Dude on the run that seems to not be able to get shot or blown up.
Huge cinematic vanity project in my view.

1917 on 03:47 - Jan 16 with 1553 viewsitsbiga

This from the NYT review sums it up for me;
“1917,” a carefully organized and sanitized war picture from Sam Mendes that turns one of the most catastrophic episodes in modern times into an exercise in preening showmanship.“

1917 on 06:54 - Jan 16 with 1531 viewsdistortR

1917 on 17:16 - Jan 13 by stevec

Saw it at the weekend, very very good, will do well at the Oscars.

The cinematography is superb, big screen, row B, on a Luxe recliner, feels like you’re almost in it.

although, to be fair, being in it probably didn't feel like sitting on a luxe recliner in a cinema.
Login to get fewer ads

1917 on 08:11 - Jan 16 with 1499 viewsswitchingcode

Saw it last night really enjoyed it not as hard hitting as Dunkirk but the recreation of that horrendous battle field was amazing
1917 on 09:48 - Jan 16 with 1440 viewsstevec

1917 on 06:54 - Jan 16 by distortR

although, to be fair, being in it probably didn't feel like sitting on a luxe recliner in a cinema.

Ha ha nice one, I like that.
1917 on 10:12 - Jan 16 with 1419 viewsMetallica_Hoop

1917 on 21:56 - Jan 14 by itsbiga

Parasite was brilliant.

Yeah. I saw it in Boston with my sister. I thought it would be a horror film Bloody good.

Haven't seen 1917 yet.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

1917 on 23:09 - Apr 14 with 1246 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just seen it. I thought it was a solid 8.

Like most war films, I get nauseous thinking of the futility and the waste and the certainty that we'll do it all again and again and glorify it while we're at it.

As ever, it will turn some off war and inspire others to their deaths.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1917 on 23:37 - Apr 14 with 1213 viewsPunteR

1917 on 23:09 - Apr 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Like most war films, I get nauseous thinking of the futility and the waste and the certainty that we'll do it all again and again and glorify it while we're at it.

Still haven't seen it. Is it on Netflix or NowTV etc yet?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

1917 on 01:01 - Apr 15 with 1184 viewsTripper

1917 on 23:37 - Apr 14 by PunteR

Still haven't seen it. Is it on Netflix or NowTV etc yet?

https://nites.tv/latest-movies-added/
1917 on 07:53 - Apr 15 with 1143 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1917 on 01:01 - Apr 15 by Tripper

That's where I got it.

1917 on 09:15 - Apr 15 with 1079 viewsPunteR

1917 on 01:01 - Apr 15 by Tripper

Cheers Tripper

1917 on 22:23 - Apr 15 with 981 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

1917 on 07:53 - Apr 15 by BrianMcCarthy

That's where I got it.

I just watched The Lighthouse on this website which I've been meaning to watch before. I'm giving a 5/10. Beautifully filmed, really well acted, great location/script. In truth I'd give a lot worse films than that a 5/10 too.

If I personally had the powers to make a film as well as that, It'd be very unlikely that i'd make that film. Hard to understand but that's art, I guess.

As for 1917 I'm sticking with 7/10. On the premise that a 10/10 would be the equivalent a 9-0 victory for QPR at Stamford Bridge. With a 1st half hattrick from BOS. A 2nd half hattrick from EZE. A goal in each half from Chair and an own goal from master bellend himself. Even though he doesn't play for them anymore. Assisted by Manning.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 22:32]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

1917 on 23:26 - Apr 15 with 947 viewsqprd

Is it just me or did the lead actor look very similar to Luke freeman?
1917 on 06:38 - Apr 16 with 903 viewsSydneyRs

1917 on 18:47 - Jan 14 by RamseyR

You've put into words what I was thinking. Similar to Dunkirk...worth seeing but not a classic.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 18:48]

Agree with this. Decent but does not live up to the hype. I quite enjoyed it, the Mrs didn't really like it.
1917 on 06:49 - Apr 16 with 902 viewsdistortR

1917 on 23:09 - Apr 14 by BrianMcCarthy

As someone once said, "History doesn't repeat itself, but people do"
1917 on 10:39 - Apr 16 with 851 viewsPunteR

Watched it last night.
Really good film. I'd give it 4 stars.

1917 on 11:29 - Apr 16 with 831 viewsMrSheen

I spent the first hour moaning to my family about how unrealistic it was and about ludicrous holes in the plot, but that's not the point. It's an imaginative adventure in the same style as the Odyssey, and it's much more enjoyable to relax and watch it in that way.

Another great book set in the trenches is Sebastian Barry's "A Long Long Way", about an Irish volunteer who has to cope with the horror of the war and confused feelings about what's happening at home - he's in Dublin on leave during the Easter Rising, and his father is a policeman. The description of trench fighting is horrific. They had "trench weapons" to use if the Germans break in - basically clubs with nails through them. No room to use a rifle, and in any case, it will probably happen in a gas attack when you can barely see through your mask.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 11:41]
1917 on 11:48 - Apr 16 with 814 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sebastian Faulks' 'Birdsong' also deals with WW1 very well, if I remember rightly.

1917 on 18:18 - Apr 16 with 766 viewsPunteR

1917 on 11:29 - Apr 16 by MrSheen

I spent the first hour moaning to my family about how unrealistic it was and about ludicrous holes in the plot, but that's not the point. It's an imaginative adventure in the same style as the Odyssey, and it's much more enjoyable to relax and watch it in that way.

Another great book set in the trenches is Sebastian Barry's "A Long Long Way", about an Irish volunteer who has to cope with the horror of the war and confused feelings about what's happening at home - he's in Dublin on leave during the Easter Rising, and his father is a policeman. The description of trench fighting is horrific. They had "trench weapons" to use if the Germans break in - basically clubs with nails through them. No room to use a rifle, and in any case, it will probably happen in a gas attack when you can barely see through your mask.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 11:41]

The after the plane crash bit it got more interesting to me. I'm reluctant to use the word entertaining in a war film but it was. Much more than Dunkirk which was probably more closer to the reality?
It was an adventure film but definitely pushed a wider range of emotions than a lot of war movies. More thrills and spills than Dunkirk.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024