Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawrence Shankland 16:22 - Jan 14 with 17853 viewsSir_Chops

This may have appeared elsewhere, but what do our Scottish football experts think of this guy? Could he do the business down here in the Championship?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lawrence-sha

Had read elsewhere he rejected a move to England when Dundee United picked him up from Ayr.
Lawrence Shankland on 14:28 - Jan 16 with 3694 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 12:29 - Jan 16 by Ned_Kennedys

Scouts etc from QPR have already watched him at least twice apparently.

Was tongue in cheek with the Hibs comment but apart from coming on as sub against Russia when the game was well and truly over this is his 1st game against top league opposition since playing Hearts (and scoring) in the group stages of League Cup which is almost taken as pre season type football.
In that sense could be important that he is seen to be able to make the step up in standard, albeit not that huge a difference.
If Les is at the game on Sunday then he'll have watched him at least twice in the flesh, I'd imagine there has been other staff watching him as well?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 14:30]
Lawrence Shankland on 23:20 - Jan 16 with 3494 viewskarl

Didn't listen to it but Dundee United manager on Radio Scotland tonight saying it would take 'crazy money' to get Shankland.
Obviously any club will try and ramp up the fee of a player so probably bravado but the owners have funded losses so far and if they're ambitious with a bit of cash behind them maybe they're serious?
What is 'crazy money'? I'd value Shankland at £1m as a worthwhile gamble and DU have a decent sell on % so if he's a success at Championship level and goes for the over inflated EPL figure then they get a decent windfall.
It's possible they're pushing for the £2m figure mentioned earlier but for me that starts to become risky money from a patchy market where there are plenty failures among the odd diamonds
Lawrence Shankland on 23:30 - Jan 16 with 3462 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

At least we know the Kit will suit him

Lawrence Shankland on 09:50 - Jan 17 with 3280 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 23:30 - Jan 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

He's telling you what its going to cost Baz
Lawrence Shankland on 09:59 - Jan 17 with 3252 viewsLongsufferingR

Lawrence Shankland on 23:30 - Jan 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Wow that is a seriously disgusting version of the hoops
Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 17 with 3163 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 09:59 - Jan 17 by LongsufferingR

Wow that is a seriously disgusting version of the hoops

Morton have had some terrible kits, this k there was a very recent one where the fans revolted and made the club change their plans?

Edit
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Greenock_Morton/Greenoc

1989 to 96 was a strange time for the Hoops!
And there was the withdrawn kit couple of years ago and the one Shankland is wearing is the version considered acceptable 😂
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 11:36]
Lawrence Shankland on 11:45 - Jan 17 with 3116 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The 93-95 one is a wondrous thing, a glorious thing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lawrence Shankland on 11:53 - Jan 17 with 3086 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 11:45 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

The 93-95 one is a wondrous thing, a glorious thing.

Hoots man!
Login to get fewer ads

Lawrence Shankland on 12:04 - Jan 17 with 3046 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Here it is in all it's splendid beauty.

Lawrence Shankland on 12:10 - Jan 17 with 3020 viewsLongsufferingR

Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 17 by karl

Morton have had some terrible kits, this k there was a very recent one where the fans revolted and made the club change their plans?

Edit
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Greenock_Morton/Greenoc

And there was the withdrawn kit couple of years ago and the one Shankland is wearing is the version considered acceptable 😂

Looks like they had to put up with the same old batch of dodgy Nike tat that we had in 2014-15.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:15 - Jan 17 with 3004 viewsMick_S

Lawrence Shankland on 12:04 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Here it is in all it's splendid beauty.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Lawrence Shankland on 12:31 - Jan 17 with 2954 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 17 by karl

Edit

Looks the the printer is running out of ink.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:35 - Jan 17 with 2932 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lawrence Shankland on 12:15 - Jan 17 by Mick_S

I got jim-jams for Christmas from my Mom and, sure enough, they were tartan.

Is it only Irish Moms that want their kids to be Scottish?

Lawrence Shankland on 18:17 - Jan 17 with 2789 viewsLblock

Can't see us signing this fella but...

My biggest concern would be his reluctance previously to move South, (and Sunderland is hardly the metropolis of London).

Always takes me back to Paul Wright..... thought we had a diamond on our hands there. One of the hardest shots I've ever seen, busy, gritty and worked like a pit pony.
Couldn't settle, hated the big smoke and went back up to Scotland and obscurity

As for his cost? Any decent agent could talk his price well up, for me I'd be looking to snare him for £500k with caveats on future dosh for appearances, goals etc

If he signs then great, if he don't then we move on......

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Lawrence Shankland on 20:01 - Jan 17 with 2667 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 18:17 - Jan 17 by Lblock

Can't see us signing this fella but...

My biggest concern would be his reluctance previously to move South, (and Sunderland is hardly the metropolis of London).

Always takes me back to Paul Wright..... thought we had a diamond on our hands there. One of the hardest shots I've ever seen, busy, gritty and worked like a pit pony.
Couldn't settle, hated the big smoke and went back up to Scotland and obscurity

As for his cost? Any decent agent could talk his price well up, for me I'd be looking to snare him for £500k with caveats on future dosh for appearances, goals etc

If he signs then great, if he don't then we move on......

To be fair to Paul 'Bunion' Wright he moved back to Scotland when clubs both sides of the border could compete with transfer fees (the good old days I think they're referred to...) but he had a bad injury soon after, to his knee I think, and just wasn't the same player again.
Injury free he would probably have had a good career and played for Scotland during a relatively successful time.

Edit
Also today I watched Hibs press conference before they play Shanklands Dundee Utd and the man ager definitely referenced that he hadn't watched Shankland in the last 2 yrs due to him being in England as Sunderland manager, odd if it is true they had offered him a contract?
Certainly the way it was spoken about did not appear as though there was any attempt to cloud the situation.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 20:05]
Lawrence Shankland on 15:52 - Jan 19 with 2435 viewsflynnbo

Well taken goal just now by Shankland-25th of the season. On BBC website.
Lawrence Shankland on 16:19 - Jan 19 with 2388 viewsjohncharles

Lawrence Shankland on 15:52 - Jan 19 by flynnbo

Well taken goal just now by Shankland-25th of the season. On BBC website.

I see you were in there before me. Shankland did well to core considering he’s had no service whatsoever

Strong and stable my arse.

Lawrence Shankland on 16:50 - Jan 19 with 2299 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Reckon we should have a good look at any player who has scored 25 in a British league division by January.
Lawrence Shankland on 10:51 - Jan 20 with 2132 viewsfrancisbowles

Lawrence Shankland on 16:50 - Jan 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Reckon we should have a good look at any player who has scored 25 in a British league division by January.

Scottish papers saying Celtic having a look. I think he might be expensive and after CW, very risky to spend big money on a player when we don't know if he can adapt to the Championship.
Lawrence Shankland on 11:03 - Jan 20 with 2101 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Lawrence Shankland on 10:51 - Jan 20 by francisbowles

Scottish papers saying Celtic having a look. I think he might be expensive and after CW, very risky to spend big money on a player when we don't know if he can adapt to the Championship.

I think I read somewhere he is a Rangers fan so unlikely to go to Celtic if true.
Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 20 with 2039 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 11:03 - Jan 20 by CroydonCaptJack

I think I read somewhere he is a Rangers fan so unlikely to go to Celtic if true.

Big change in that now CCJ, Scott Brown was a Rangers fan for example, if they offered the best contract I think he would go there.
Celtic definitely had a scout in the stands but as I said elsewhere I found it strange that if Les was at the fame he wasn't picked out by the cameras, of course there could have been a lesser known scout there instead.
Celtic just cup tied Leigh Griffiths so less value for him to loan out domestically (Hibs would be automatic favourites to get him) and they've signed a Polish lad so not convinced they would actually want Shankland enough to pay what DUtd would want.
I'm loving the Scottish connection MW has brought to the club and Shankland would hopefully kick on but going over £1/1.5m would be a worry.
Fwiw I think he's a different player to CW and would just need to get off to a good start and I'm sure he would do well, he will score goals it would be how much more was expected of him that will possibly hold him back
Lawrence Shankland on 11:31 - Jan 20 with 2034 viewssexton

According to this we are also looking at Dundee United's left back https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18168287.qprs-les-ferdinand-will-watch-shan
Lawrence Shankland on 11:48 - Jan 20 with 1993 viewsozranger

Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 20 by karl

Big change in that now CCJ, Scott Brown was a Rangers fan for example, if they offered the best contract I think he would go there.
Celtic definitely had a scout in the stands but as I said elsewhere I found it strange that if Les was at the fame he wasn't picked out by the cameras, of course there could have been a lesser known scout there instead.
Celtic just cup tied Leigh Griffiths so less value for him to loan out domestically (Hibs would be automatic favourites to get him) and they've signed a Polish lad so not convinced they would actually want Shankland enough to pay what DUtd would want.
I'm loving the Scottish connection MW has brought to the club and Shankland would hopefully kick on but going over £1/1.5m would be a worry.
Fwiw I think he's a different player to CW and would just need to get off to a good start and I'm sure he would do well, he will score goals it would be how much more was expected of him that will possibly hold him back

I know it sounds strange but could we do a buy now and loan back for the remainder of the season type of deal. That may allow Dundee to lower the price now knowing they have the player to help them promote. That way they get transfer money now and still have the player but perhaps there would need to be some arrangement regards wages being split between the two clubs.
Lawrence Shankland on 11:51 - Jan 20 with 1977 viewsSir_Chops

Lawrence Shankland on 11:31 - Jan 20 by sexton

According to this we are also looking at Dundee United's left back https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18168287.qprs-les-ferdinand-will-watch-shan

If that's true, and adding 2 and 2 together, that's Niko Hamalainen's position. He's been impressing at Kilmarnock. I wonder if he'd be used as leverage in a straight swap or player/cash deal...
Lawrence Shankland on 11:58 - Jan 20 with 1945 viewsrunningman75

Does that mean Manning will move position or is likely to be sold?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024