Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musicals 11:07 - May 29 with 5579 viewsqprxtc

Are crap. Each and every one.

What’s the point of them? The film starts, has a story, moves along then next thing people are jumping about, singing, dancing, doing all sorts. Then stop and back to the story, which is normally cobblers.

Gave up on La bloody La Land after they all started dancing on top of their cars at the start.

It’s either one or the other. Music or film. Paint Your Wagon wasted Clint and Lee Marvin. They could have made a Point Blank/Dirty Harry type thing and ended up talking to trees under wandrin stars. Flip a duck.

I got dragged along to a song along The Sound of Music once with the Mrs and my mate and his Mrs. We were the only blokes there.

No musical has ever been any good. And that’s a fact.

Musicals on 23:12 - May 30 with 937 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Musicals on 23:00 - May 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Watching The Blues Brothers again tonight.

Cracking film, but the acting is woeful.

John Landis films

The Blues Brothers
National Lampoon's Animal House
Three Amigos
Coming to America
An American Werewolf in London
Trading Places

All cracking

Terrible acting

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Musicals on 23:40 - May 30 with 926 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Musicals on 23:12 - May 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

John Landis films

The Blues Brothers
National Lampoon's Animal House
Three Amigos
Coming to America
An American Werewolf in London
Trading Places

All cracking

Terrible acting

Didn't know his repertoire, Clive.

Not bad, though!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Musicals on 23:55 - May 30 with 917 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Musicals on 23:40 - May 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Didn't know his repertoire, Clive.

Not bad, though!

Spies Like Us

Musicals on 01:27 - May 31 with 895 viewstimcocking

Musicals on 12:00 - May 30 by danehoop

Which means of course that you haven't seen Book of Mormon.

Gotta admit, never watch any 'cause even the thought of a musical makes me queasy. Shouldn't knock it before i try it of course, but...well i just hate anything to do with the theatre, bores me to death. Not a very cultural person in that way. I'm sure people only pretend to like it, they all think it's rubbish really

Blues Brothers...James Brown, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway, John Lee Hooker, Chaka Khan, Steve 'Colonel' Cropper, Donald 'Duck' Dunn...that's something special.

They should strap down all the racists, make 'em watch the Blues Brothers a few times, everybody gonna love black people after that.
Musicals on 08:02 - May 31 with 881 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I saw the Kinks musical 'Lazy Sunny Afternoon' twice, bloody brilliant.

War of the Worlds at the Dominion was also good.

"Der Der Derrrrrrrr, Der der Derrrrrr..........."

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Musicals on 18:05 - Jun 2 with 780 viewsWoog

"Are crap. Each and every one. What’s the point of them?"

Not having this nonsense.

There are some quite brilliant musicals (some already mentioned): The Book of Mormon, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, etc.

Far from being lightweight tat, many good musicals deal with weighty themes - e.g. West Side Story racism/prejudice, Fiddler on the Roof anti-Semitism, etc.

To star in a musiscal you need to be extremely talented singer AND actor AND dancer, a triple-threat; the 2 actors mentioned (as much as I rate Clint) couldn't hold a note and shouldn't have been anywhere near a musical.

Some amazing songs have come from musicals, on a par with the best from regular music - e.g. 'Soft Place to Land' (Waitress), 'Loose Ends' (Witches of Eastwick), etc.

[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:09]
Musicals on 20:41 - Jun 2 with 730 viewswelwynranger

Musicals on 14:45 - May 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Les Mis is brilliant

Also good is
Miss Saigon, Blood Brothers and The Jersey Boys

There, I have said it.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 14:45]

Totally agree with all 4. Will add Chicago,Wicked ,South Pacific, Beautiful and Lazy Sunday Afternoon, School of Rock. All at the theatre I am not a film person.
Musicals on 20:49 - Jun 2 with 720 viewswelwynranger

Musicals on 20:41 - Jun 2 by welwynranger

Totally agree with all 4. Will add Chicago,Wicked ,South Pacific, Beautiful and Lazy Sunday Afternoon, School of Rock. All at the theatre I am not a film person.

Forgot Book Of Mormon absolutely brilliant
Login to get fewer ads

Musicals on 20:49 - Jun 2 with 720 viewsaston_hoop

Was about to say I don't like musicals but of the ones I've seen - I saw Jesus Christ Superstar as a friend was in it, plus Jersey Boys (present for an ex-missus) and enjoyed them both thoroughly.

I saw a west-end type production of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, love the album so that should count!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Musicals on 21:11 - Jun 2 with 710 viewsqueensparker

Nobody’s mentioned Hamilton yet but my missus demanded tickets for her 40th so I very reluctantly forked out a hefty sum for a musical about an 18th century American politician confidently predicting a crap, tedious night out.

It was brilliant, the music can’t help get anyone that’s into hip-hop.

Honourable mention to Moana as well, my five year old doesn’t half watch some Disney crap (Frozen, never again would be too soon) but the songs in that one are ace.
Musicals on 21:55 - Jun 2 with 687 viewsBlackCrowe

Has it really come to this that i name check Grace Kelly in High Society on a fans forum. As Max from Hart To Hart would say, gawjoice.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Musicals on 22:44 - Jun 2 with 668 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Musicals on 21:55 - Jun 2 by BlackCrowe

Has it really come to this that i name check Grace Kelly in High Society on a fans forum. As Max from Hart To Hart would say, gawjoice.

It's all over

Musicals on 05:51 - Jun 3 with 621 viewscyprusmel

Best one for me was Bombay Dreams.
Musicals on 09:55 - Jun 3 with 578 viewswestberksr

Not a fan overall; just not my thing.

was bought tickets to Miss Saigon for an anniversary back in the 90's and detested it, had seen Grease as a couples thing and just thought "could have watched the film with the cars instead of this shite"; as for Cats, oh my days (as I believe the down with it kids of today would exclaim) what a crock...

those I have enjoyed on stage are Book Of Mormon, The Producers, Priscilla Queen Of the Desert and are all basically inapproprite comedies with songs in....

films of a musical theme, Saturday Night Fever, Cabaret (would like to suffer this on stage) and the suchlike are equally acceptable as the songs/music play a part in the story

but where singing simply replaces dialect for no apparent reason am oot!

Big shout to a recent film Baby Driver where the soundtrack is woven into the story and I really enjoyed it; some friends I've recommended it to loved it, others thought it was utter shite!

as with all art forms; horses for courses
Musicals on 10:49 - Jun 3 with 567 viewsTripper

Only seen a couple.

Book Of Mormon - Possibly the most painful hours of my life.
Hamilton - One of the best things I've seen live.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024