Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Realism 11:50 - Dec 27 with 4256 viewsbeanofire

I've been reading through the latest posts on our predicament and one thing immediately stands out.
Most, if not all, on here are realistic about our current situation, from a financial point of view.
Unlike on social media!
So well done. As my mum used to say, 'I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!!'
Realism on 13:54 - Dec 27 with 3510 viewsessextaxiboy

I think the age demographic may be the answer to that .

Our expectations of the club have been dulled over many decades .
Realism on 14:03 - Dec 27 with 3467 viewsenfieldargh

Realism on 13:54 - Dec 27 by essextaxiboy

I think the age demographic may be the answer to that .

Our expectations of the club have been dulled over many decades .

are you calling me an old git?

Got to run prunes are taking affect

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Realism on 14:08 - Dec 27 with 3456 viewsessextaxiboy

Realism on 14:03 - Dec 27 by enfieldargh

are you calling me an old git?

Got to run prunes are taking affect

Dont trip over the oxygen tube .....
Realism on 14:22 - Dec 27 with 3403 viewscolinallcars

Realism on 14:08 - Dec 27 by essextaxiboy

Dont trip over the oxygen tube .....

Pah, I'm going to listen to Al Jolson on the speaking wireless.
Realism on 14:24 - Dec 27 with 3387 viewsenfieldargh

Realism on 14:22 - Dec 27 by colinallcars

Pah, I'm going to listen to Al Jolson on the speaking wireless.

whats a squeaking wireless?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Realism on 16:58 - Dec 27 with 3196 viewsBoston

C - Mob y'say...many of the gents on 'ere remember the 'demob'!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Realism on 17:20 - Dec 27 with 3140 viewsBoston

Realism on 14:24 - Dec 27 by enfieldargh

whats a squeaking wireless?

Wouldn't have a clue old chap.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Realism on 17:48 - Dec 27 with 3063 viewsPinnerPaul

OP spot on - its scary what counts as reasoned debate on most fans' sires such as this.
Login to get fewer ads

Realism on 18:13 - Dec 27 with 3008 viewsTGRRRSSS

I guess the strange thing about QPR is we simply seem to bounce from one catastrophe to the next, and it doesn't seem to matter who's running things, managing the club, the CEO or club legends such as Sinton and Ferdinand around the club it's still ends up in a total shambles.

I suppose there's a certain comfort in that...
Realism on 20:07 - Dec 27 with 2874 viewsDavieQPR

My trouble is I just seem to accept defeat as the norm. Once it would upset me.
Realism on 08:09 - Dec 28 with 2659 viewsPastCaringNW2

Realism on 20:07 - Dec 27 by DavieQPR

Realism would suggest we are more or less where we should be.

The season when we finished top London club we averaged 15k fans. First year I had a season ticket we couldn't sell out our home games with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. First game of the season? 11k and change. These were the days when a home game with Man United would suddenly see dozens of away fans sitting in season tickets holders' seats in SAR. Ditto the cup home game with Chelsea.

These are not play off contender numbers. Not without a long plan or financial doping. We did the later and we are back exactly where we started. We are not alone in that. Clubs eventually return to their own level when the money tap is turned off. Turn it off too quickly and the fall is fast and brutal.

We're a club that can more or less rely on maybe 10k people most weeks and the rest are "tourists" and the sort of west Londoners who are just as happy going to Fulham if the football is better.

Even in the Warnock promotion season we only averaged 15k. Not exactly indicative of a club that should be punching higher than 16th in the second tier. To my mind survival in the Championship is a pretty good return on the commitment shown by the fan base.

First step to collective sanity is for the fans who treat Rangers as cut-price psycho therapy to get behind what we have while the club adjusts. Brentford are in their 13th year of a long build. We can't seem to get through one without clamouring for a radical change in direction.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 8:09]
Realism on 09:08 - Dec 28 with 2552 viewsstevec

Realism on 08:09 - Dec 28 by PastCaringNW2

Realism would suggest we are more or less where we should be.

The season when we finished top London club we averaged 15k fans. First year I had a season ticket we couldn't sell out our home games with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. First game of the season? 11k and change. These were the days when a home game with Man United would suddenly see dozens of away fans sitting in season tickets holders' seats in SAR. Ditto the cup home game with Chelsea.

These are not play off contender numbers. Not without a long plan or financial doping. We did the later and we are back exactly where we started. We are not alone in that. Clubs eventually return to their own level when the money tap is turned off. Turn it off too quickly and the fall is fast and brutal.

We're a club that can more or less rely on maybe 10k people most weeks and the rest are "tourists" and the sort of west Londoners who are just as happy going to Fulham if the football is better.

Even in the Warnock promotion season we only averaged 15k. Not exactly indicative of a club that should be punching higher than 16th in the second tier. To my mind survival in the Championship is a pretty good return on the commitment shown by the fan base.

First step to collective sanity is for the fans who treat Rangers as cut-price psycho therapy to get behind what we have while the club adjusts. Brentford are in their 13th year of a long build. We can't seem to get through one without clamouring for a radical change in direction.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 8:09]

Take your point but in the days when we were top London club the majority of grounds were little more than half full.

I’ve been at Stamford Bridge local derby, under 18000 fans, craven cottage in front of 6000 fans, those were different days, blighted by hooliganism or it’s after effects.

You mention an average of 15000 in Warnock promotion year, our home end capacity is roughly that and there were many games when the away end was deserted.

Our problem is we either never did capitalise on the opportunities we had and more to the point play in a stadium that is incapable of capitalising on those opportunities.

Just taking London, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham built stadiums way beyond previous capacities, took the risk and filled them. Chelsea, Charlton, Fulham even Palace, used the good times to reinvent their grounds and with the exception of Charlton, filled them. Brentford, historically a far smaller club have been bold and set themselves up in a way unimaginable little more than 15 years ago. Millwall another new stadium, plagued for decades as the anti thesis of a footballing club, more than hold their own and have plans to further develop, Wimbledon who looked to have sunk without trace not only re emerge but build a stadium that at least gives forward momentum some help.

Know you mean well but it’s depressing to hear anyone talk of this club as a fait accompli, as if we’re meant to be permanently shit. Sadly that belief permeates through the whole club from top to bottom. No meaningful investment in the stadium since the Gregory days, owners who run the club to survive rather than thrive, management who accentuate the problem telling us how fckin poor and unfortunate we are.

It’s no wonder the ground rattles about half full of old fckers like us lot, I fear for the club when we’re no more.
Realism on 09:09 - Dec 28 with 2548 viewsbakerloo8

Zero ambition leads to zero success.

We should be happy being 19th in the Championship because that's where we belong? Jesus wept.
Realism on 09:32 - Dec 28 with 2489 viewspaulparker

Realism on 09:09 - Dec 28 by bakerloo8

We should be happy being 19th in the Championship because that's where we belong? Jesus wept.

Totally agree , sick of hearing it as an excuse on here every time we get beat
There’s a losers mentality at this club and it comes from the top , at some point you have to reach for the stars

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Realism on 09:45 - Dec 28 with 2473 viewshantssi

Realism on 09:32 - Dec 28 by paulparker

There’s a losers mentality at this club and it comes from the top , at some point you have to reach for the stars

We’ve “reached for the stars” and look where that got us!
We are exactly where, historically we should be.
If you look at the history of most clubs, they are now where they’ve historically been.
I’m currently looking at a programme dated Sept 2000 (Preston at home, my lad was mascot that day) there is a league table based on 100 years, we are 37th, which is pretty much where we are now!
Since then, we’ve had : years in the lower division and 3 years in the Prem.
It’s not losers mentality it’s realism.
For information, the top teams then are the same as the top teams now, if I knew how to post it I would as it’s a good indication as to how football hasn’t changed at all in over 100 years.
Realism on 10:08 - Dec 28 with 2395 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

In it’s entire post War history, QPR have only won what? 6 promotions and 1 trophy in 75 years? 3 of those have come in the last 20 years so you could argue this is our golden era.

We our fighting our our existence with 91 other clubs, all of whose think they are equally entitled to success.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 10:09]
Realism on 10:35 - Dec 28 with 2328 viewsLythamR

Realism on 09:32 - Dec 28 by paulparker

"at some point you have to reach for the stars"

I agree otherwise whats the point, but to get there you need to build a rocket ship. You cant expect to get there in a Sopwith Camel.
Realism on 10:52 - Dec 28 with 2297 viewshantssi

Realism on 10:35 - Dec 28 by LythamR

"at some point you have to reach for the stars"

I agree otherwise whats the point, but to get there you need to build a rocket ship. You cant expect to get there in a Sopwith Camel.

But building a rocket costs money, BIG money, which we haven’t got and with FFP we’re never likely to have.
Like it or not we are now, have been and probably always will be a lower Championship team with occasional ups and downs.
Realism on 10:53 - Dec 28 with 2286 viewspaulparker

Realism on 09:45 - Dec 28 by hantssi

We’ve “reached for the stars” and look where that got us!
We are exactly where, historically we should be.
If you look at the history of most clubs, they are now where they’ve historically been.
I’m currently looking at a programme dated Sept 2000 (Preston at home, my lad was mascot that day) there is a league table based on 100 years, we are 37th, which is pretty much where we are now!
Since then, we’ve had : years in the lower division and 3 years in the Prem.
It’s not losers mentality it’s realism.
For information, the top teams then are the same as the top teams now, if I knew how to post it I would as it’s a good indication as to how football hasn’t changed at all in over 100 years.

Your right I’m so thankful that we even are in the same league as Preston , Bristol city & Brentford
I know we cannot compete with them but it’s a real honour to just be able to be on the same pitch as these footballing giants
If we can squeeze at least 30 minutes of good football against them then we can all be happy ?
Sorry to hark to the good old days but I seem to remember a time when QPR actually meant something in football
The mid 60s to around 1996 that’s well over 3 decades of playing great football , promotions, cup finals , beating Chelsea, spurs , arsenal , Liverpool ,
Producing great players , pioneers of the the plastic pitch , sexton, el tel,Howe, Francis ,
Yeah we had the odd wobble and relegation but we didn’t have the “oh well we are the 37th ranked team in British football , let’s just be thankful mentality “ we gave the big boys a black eye and became everyone’s 2nd favourite team by showing a bit of ambition
Now look at us , Is this what it’s become now hanging on for 19th place , hoping Wycombe get beat and a side gets deducted points , just so we can scrape another season in the championship
There’s no winners, no leaders , I watch other teams do a huddle per match and get themselves hyped, other sides are up for it in our faces in the refs ear , up we just ample on the pitch and expect to get beat , like meek children that’s a losers mentality and it comes from the top
You maybe happy and accepting of how this club is heading and run but for me it’s not acceptable

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Realism on 10:56 - Dec 28 with 2289 viewswelwynranger

Realism on 20:07 - Dec 27 by DavieQPR

Absolutely.
As I was putting the laptop on to watch the stream on Boxing Day my wife said why do you put yourself through that pain all the time.

It's like going to the dentist every week.
I just smiled . I couldn't disagree with her
Realism on 11:01 - Dec 28 with 2278 viewshantssi

Realism on 10:53 - Dec 28 by paulparker

Your right I’m so thankful that we even are in the same league as Preston , Bristol city & Brentford
I know we cannot compete with them but it’s a real honour to just be able to be on the same pitch as these footballing giants
If we can squeeze at least 30 minutes of good football against them then we can all be happy ?
Sorry to hark to the good old days but I seem to remember a time when QPR actually meant something in football
The mid 60s to around 1996 that’s well over 3 decades of playing great football , promotions, cup finals , beating Chelsea, spurs , arsenal , Liverpool ,
Producing great players , pioneers of the the plastic pitch , sexton, el tel,Howe, Francis ,
Yeah we had the odd wobble and relegation but we didn’t have the “oh well we are the 37th ranked team in British football , let’s just be thankful mentality “ we gave the big boys a black eye and became everyone’s 2nd favourite team by showing a bit of ambition
Now look at us , Is this what it’s become now hanging on for 19th place , hoping Wycombe get beat and a side gets deducted points , just so we can scrape another season in the championship
There’s no winners, no leaders , I watch other teams do a huddle per match and get themselves hyped, other sides are up for it in our faces in the refs ear , up we just ample on the pitch and expect to get beat , like meek children that’s a losers mentality and it comes from the top
You maybe happy and accepting of how this club is heading and run but for me it’s not acceptable

We only had a few good seasons in each of the 60’s and70’s, the 80’s and 90’s was the only really sustained period we’ve ever had in the top division, the rest has been similar to what we’re seeing now.
I’m not saying I’m happy with it, it’s just the way it is supporting QPR, the occasional good season, occasional bad season with lots and lots of meh in between.
Realism on 12:00 - Dec 28 with 2192 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

FFP has put the kibosh on mega rich guys taking a lowly Championship club and buying success.

The only realistic alternative now is the Brentford route of very patient building. Intelligently that is what we seem to have chosen. There will be bumps along the way. It will never be for the 'aim for the stars' numpties. That is the sure route to the lower divisions and then disaster.

The board, DoF, Manager, Coaches all seem to be on the same page as to what is needed. There is no logical alternative but to keep doing what we have started doing. A change of manager, in this scenario, would only be to the nearest equivalent of Mark Warburton. It is no coincidence that he was with Brentford at an important spell of their building.

The current situation is nowhere near as bad as many are making out. The team is playing OK up to the point that chances need to be taken. We are making a similar number and quality of chances as our opponents in the majority of games, often we have been better. The numbers (xG) tell you that.

What to do? Whatever they say in public I guess the club will be agonising over a decision as to whether to bring in a loan striker of the quality of Wells/Hugill. Several pros and cons to that.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 12:02]
Realism on 12:20 - Dec 28 with 2139 viewsbakerloo8

Realism on 12:00 - Dec 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

FFP has put the kibosh on mega rich guys taking a lowly Championship club and buying success.

The only realistic alternative now is the Brentford route of very patient building. Intelligently that is what we seem to have chosen. There will be bumps along the way. It will never be for the 'aim for the stars' numpties. That is the sure route to the lower divisions and then disaster.

The board, DoF, Manager, Coaches all seem to be on the same page as to what is needed. There is no logical alternative but to keep doing what we have started doing. A change of manager, in this scenario, would only be to the nearest equivalent of Mark Warburton. It is no coincidence that he was with Brentford at an important spell of their building.

The current situation is nowhere near as bad as many are making out. The team is playing OK up to the point that chances need to be taken. We are making a similar number and quality of chances as our opponents in the majority of games, often we have been better. The numbers (xG) tell you that.

What to do? Whatever they say in public I guess the club will be agonising over a decision as to whether to bring in a loan striker of the quality of Wells/Hugill. Several pros and cons to that.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 12:02]

The team is not 'playing OK' we are staring down the barrel of L1 and if we continue how we are we will no doubt drop.

When we have 'played OK' we've been beat and this trait has relegation written all over it. play poorly = lose, play OK = lose. Bad, bad news.

No pros and cons to getting a striker of Wells/Hugill class on loan, only pros unless you can enlighten me? Wages for @ approx10k a week shouldnt be too much of a burden if BOS is shipped off.
If something doesn't change, be it personnel, management, approach, tactics, whatever then I feel we are down and in deep poop.
Realism on 12:45 - Dec 28 with 2090 viewsRangersw12

Realism on 09:09 - Dec 28 by bakerloo8

Can a club our size have ambition under these FFP constraints ?

If the club was allowed to spend money they would but they cant
Realism on 12:48 - Dec 28 with 2085 viewsloftus77

My take on it all - the club needs to stick with Warburton (if he himself is genuinely up for the long-term challenge), even if that means relegation to L1 in May. The reason: its the only strategy (sticking by the manager) we have never deployed.

To all those calling for changes at board, DOF, management level - what's the point? - it's all been done before, over and over again, year-after-year. And it has never actually got us anywhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024