Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) 16:46 - Dec 31 with 4738 viewsJuzzie

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 13:09 - Jan 1 with 1190 viewsNov77

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:39 - Dec 31 by CamberleyR

I know The Doc wasn't to some people's tastes on here and some won't forgive him for selling Stan but he was the perfect antidote after the disastrous Burtenshaw tenure he replaced. As you say those first few months we played some great stuff with a relatively young team and were pretty free scoring. I've checked the stats and in a 13 game run from early September until early December we won nine and only lost once scoring 31 goals and actually briefly topped the table.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-two/30-november-1979/

Being a fairly young side it was probably asking too much to keep it going particularly as Tony Currie was in and out through injury at the start. Nevertheless we only finished a couple of wins away from getting promotion scoring 75 goals and it was probably only a sticky spell in December and January where we only won once that cost us.

He made some good signings as well during his spell: Currie, Hazell, Micklewhite, Wicks and gave debuts to Waddock and Neill who all made major contributions during the Venables era.

RIP Doc

There’s definitely something about this club and poor runs in December.

In 75-6 we won only one game out of eight from December to early January.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 14:39 - Jan 1 with 1100 viewsTacticalR

Sold Paul Goddard and Clive Allen, but said it was OK to sell them, because no player was worth more than £1 million.

Also managed to relegate Manchester United.

Air hostess clique

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 16:14 - Jan 1 with 1039 viewsbosh67

RIP Tommy. Always remember the Goddard Allen duo. Great team to watch. He was never afraid to throw young players in at the deep end.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:37 - Jan 1 with 959 viewslightwaterhoop

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 16:14 - Jan 1 by bosh67

RIP Tommy. Always remember the Goddard Allen duo. Great team to watch. He was never afraid to throw young players in at the deep end.

If i remember correctly he also played a teenage striker called Phil Nutt who scored a few goals in only a few games and then got badly injured and never played again.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:56 - Jan 1 with 952 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:37 - Jan 1 by lightwaterhoop

If i remember correctly he also played a teenage striker called Phil Nutt who scored a few goals in only a few games and then got badly injured and never played again.

Phil Nutt was slightly earlier than that. Dave Sexton gave him his debut in the 75/76 season. He got a cruciate ligament injury that finished his career.

https://thefootballpost.weebly.com/premier-league.html

Another debut he gave to a youngster not mentioned so far was 17 years old Wayne Fereday at the start of the 1980/81 season at home against Bristol Rovers. He scored twice in a 4-0 win.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 19:03]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:04 - Jan 1 with 939 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great reading on this thread.

I was born in 1970 so I was only a kid when I took an instant dislike to Docherty, and it was based on absolutely no facts whatsoever. As a nipper I thought that Managers should be Corinthian and Alecstockian and that players should basically be Gandhi with boots. I'm not sure I've ever changed my mind really.

Either way, it's good to read this thread as '79-82 is hazy enough for me. We moved to Ireland in '75 and it was hard to get any info once we got relegated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:13 - Jan 1 with 931 viewshantssi

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:04 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I was born in 1970 so I was only a kid when I took an instant dislike to Docherty, and it was based on absolutely no facts whatsoever. As a nipper I thought that Managers should be Corinthian and Alecstockian and that players should basically be Gandhi with boots. I'm not sure I've ever changed my mind really.

Either way, it's good to read this thread as '79-82 is hazy enough for me. We moved to Ireland in '75 and it was hard to get any info once we got relegated.

Bloody hell Brian, 1970, you’re just a mere slip of a lad!!
1961 for me so guess what’s coming soon????!!!!
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:05 - Jan 1 with 888 viewsBrianMcCarthy

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:13 - Jan 1 by hantssi

Bloody hell Brian, 1970, you’re just a mere slip of a lad!!
1961 for me so guess what’s coming soon????!!!!

Free travel, Baby!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:32 - Jan 1 with 870 viewsMyke

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:04 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Hard enough to get any soccer info here in the '70's Brian, including the first division. I had a school pal, who's dad delivered the daily papers (Independent/Press and Herald) and he always kept me the back pages of any unsold papers for me - great source of info, even if it was a day late!.
I was considered quite strange to be a soccer fan when Gaelic Football was king. Back in the day, when they were printing the results in the paper, they used to put the half-time score in brackets. I had a pal who was a GAA nut but was trying to get 'into' soccer for my sake. He tried to discuss a QPR result with me on a Monday morning after seeing the result in the Sunday Independent. I honestly cant remember the game or result, but for the purpose of the story I am going to say we drew 1-1 with Birmingham, after being 1-0 down at half time. 'Bad result on Saturday, Mike' says my pal. 'How do you mean?' says I, thinking a draw was ok. 'Well you lost by three points' says he. 1-1 to 0-1!
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:34 - Jan 1 with 866 viewsManinBlack

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 13:09 - Jan 1 by Nov77

There’s definitely something about this club and poor runs in December.

In 75-6 we won only one game out of eight from December to early January.

What is it about us? It feels like every season for the past decade we create a new unwanted club record.

It was bad enough knowing that we went 16 games at a start of the season without a win, record number of home defeats in a season, record number of home goals conceded in a season and many other great records out now in all good record shops and now I am presented with another unwelcome record.

Will it never end, this systematic torture of further blemishes on our history season after season?

Oh and I did like the Doc. Not too many can claim to have relegated Chelsea and Man Utd. Top man.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:38 - Jan 1 with 861 viewsBoston

My second fav Doc quote was when he was with Rotherham...
I said I'd get this club out of the second division and I was right, we were relegated.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:46 - Jan 1 with 844 viewsDWQPR

Docherty also gave a league debut to a certain ginger haired midfield dynamo, Gary Waddock. Game was against Charlton at home and we thrashed them 4-0. Waddock was man of the match. What we would give to have a Gary Waddock in our team now.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 21:09 - Jan 1 with 809 viewsManinBlack

The Doc was always good for a quote like about Ray Wilkins: He can't run, he can't tackle and he can't head the ball. The only time he goes forward is for the toss.

He also stated that Elton John wanted to rename Watford to Queen of the South. There would be uproar today for such a remark.

I am sure he was the manager in the 7-0 win over Burnley and complained after the game that we didn't score 12. To be fair he was right for the chances we spurned.

When he was the United manager in 75-76 he publicly stated more than once that United and QPR were the two most attractive footballing sides in the country. Just a tragedy Liverpool won the title over us and United finished 4th.

He also said he wanted a R's v Red Devils cup final for the spectacle but had to make do with second division Southampton in the final which the Saints won. Still he did beat Liverpool the following season to stop them winning the treble.

Unfortunately he didn't last very long in his two spells with us and there seems to have been a clash of egos with Jim Gregory. Many R's fans liked him for the attacking football and bringing in young players like he did for United. Equally many fans didn't like him because he sold Stan and Gerry and eventually Goddard and Allen whilst bringing in old favourites of his like Dave McCreery and Gordon Hill.

RIP Doc a real character who in his day was the equivalent of Klopp for being a media darling.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 21:35 - Jan 1 with 785 viewsNov77

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:46 - Jan 1 by DWQPR

Docherty also gave a league debut to a certain ginger haired midfield dynamo, Gary Waddock. Game was against Charlton at home and we thrashed them 4-0. Waddock was man of the match. What we would give to have a Gary Waddock in our team now.

I listened to this podcast today,

https://player.fm/series/srb-media-podcasts/tony-currie-my-70s

Tony Currie was very complimentary about Gary Waddock and also told a story of what happened to him after he played in Waddock’s testimonial which I hadn’t heard before (or more likely had forgotten)
75 minutes, and a good listen.

He’s currently finishing his autobiography.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024