Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
History of AKUTRs - Patreon 08:06 - Mar 26 with 5950 viewsNorthernr

International break = bonus content on the Patreon to thank you for your financial support.

Sat down with Dave Thomas earlier this week to go through the history of AKUTRs, how iut got started, who Tommy Nintendo was, where Kerry Dixon's penalty landed, why Andy Townsend hates him. It's a belter.

Both parts now available to listen to for all three Patreon subscription tiers.

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 08:29 - Mar 26 with 4160 viewsNoelmc

Great idea.

I'm looking forward to listening to it.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 08:31 - Mar 26 with 4160 viewsNorthernr

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 08:29 - Mar 26 by Noelmc

Great idea.

I'm looking forward to listening to it.

It goes in some weird and wonderful directions
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:22 - Mar 26 with 4026 viewsBrianMcCarthy

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 08:31 - Mar 26 by Northernr

It goes in some weird and wonderful directions

But First...An Apology.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:48 - Mar 26 with 3987 viewsNoelmc

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:22 - Mar 26 by BrianMcCarthy

But First...An Apology.

Brand new Ishoo.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:13 - Mar 26 with 3960 viewsfrancisbowles

Are you still writing these up Clive or do I have to listen?
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:27 - Mar 26 with 3956 viewsNorthernr

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:13 - Mar 26 by francisbowles

Are you still writing these up Clive or do I have to listen?

I'll probably write this one up and post after the season, it'll take some time to do and it's pretty timless piece.

I've got Simon Barker later today which will be a write up and audio, hopefully next week.

Just trying to get as much content as I can on the Patreon because the support has been so good.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:36 - Mar 26 with 3942 viewsfrancisbowles

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:27 - Mar 26 by Northernr

I'll probably write this one up and post after the season, it'll take some time to do and it's pretty timless piece.

I've got Simon Barker later today which will be a write up and audio, hopefully next week.

Just trying to get as much content as I can on the Patreon because the support has been so good.

Thanks Clive. Appreciate all your efforts. I don't always get around to listening so it's good to know I should have some breakfast reading in the summer.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 13:09 - Mar 26 with 3860 viewsqprxtc

Enjoyed that, cheers Clive.

I’ve still got every issue of the fanzine currently taking up too much room at my mum and dads. I was giving them all back to Dave just before lockdown one kicked in. Didn’t really want to but they’re not being looked at and I don’t want to dump them.

A great record of the past thirty (very) odd years of supporting Rangers. And it is strangely weird how by doing things like that and this message board how certain supposed Rangers fans can go full on bunny boiler.
Login to get fewer ads

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 14:37 - Mar 26 with 3775 viewstoboboly

Enjoyable listen, cheers Clive

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 15:46 - Mar 26 with 3711 viewsAustrianHoop

Listened to Part 1,it is highly enjoyable, not so easy for me though. While my English is quite OK, I do have to concentrate to get everything, so usually I prefer reading. I was a AKUTR's subscriber from the very beginning and could hardly wait for the new issue back in the day. Dave Thomas did (and still does) a great job. Unfortunately later life got in the way so I lost touch and the subscription. When the recent Loft For Words / A Kick Up The R's offer came up I quickly took it up. I was quite flattered when David mentioned in his mail that my name was the only familiar one from the old times. Anyway, I think we are really lucky to have high quality with LFW and AKUTR's, long may that continue!
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 16:08 - Mar 26 with 3690 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cracking couple of hours. Lovely slice of warm nostalgia with ready wit and enduring wisdom.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 17:23 - Mar 26 with 3632 viewsNorthernr

Just finished up with Simon Barker who was really fcking lovely, will try and spin that around asap.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 17:31 - Mar 26 with 3612 viewstoboboly

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 17:23 - Mar 26 by Northernr

Just finished up with Simon Barker who was really fcking lovely, will try and spin that around asap.

When are you doing a piece with the rest of us? I've bought a new suit especially.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 19:36 - Mar 26 with 3512 viewsdaveB

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 17:23 - Mar 26 by Northernr

I loved Barker, always felt bad for him how it ended at QPR, I think one of his last games for us up at Stoke he had a big row with some QPR fans.

In the 89/90 season he was sensational and looked on course to go to the World Cup but got a bad injury against Man City, think Gary Megson did him and later in the game Paul Parker chinned Megson and was sent off which caused the press to call for him to be dropped from the England squad. Never liked Megson after that night
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 19:46 - Mar 26 with 3502 viewsNorthernr

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 19:36 - Mar 26 by daveB

I loved Barker, always felt bad for him how it ended at QPR, I think one of his last games for us up at Stoke he had a big row with some QPR fans.

In the 89/90 season he was sensational and looked on course to go to the World Cup but got a bad injury against Man City, think Gary Megson did him and later in the game Paul Parker chinned Megson and was sent off which caused the press to call for him to be dropped from the England squad. Never liked Megson after that night

I think the Megson one was another incident, at Loftus Road, maybe on Paul Parker? Barker says it was Paul Lake that broke his leg at Man City, another player also set for England but for horrendous injuries, and says they've talked about it since. Don Howe, our manager, was on Bobby Robson's coaching staff and said he was in the squad. Game before the internationals he broke his leg at Man City. He was very philosophical about it.

He also spoke about the abuse he got from QPR fans, said it could be a harsh club to play for, admitted he was long past his best in his latter years and has come to peace with it. Was very bitter about his departure, remembers that at his final POTY dinner they gave a special trophy to Neil Ruddock for basically keeping the club up, and while he admits that Ruddock was instrumental and brilliant in that period it really stung to be just sort of ushered off after 10 years while Neil Ruddock got a pot for 8 games.

Overall remembers his time fondly. It was a lovely interview. I'll try and turn it around quickly. It was fun to talk through some of his goals, v Liverpool in the FA Cup, v Everton when we hadn't won in months, the chip v Sheff Wed.

I know Brian McCarthy has mentioned this a few times, not liking the modern trend for players telling dressing room tales and stories out of school. Barker was the opposite, clearly didn't like what went on under Ray Harford, particularly the Vinny Jones arrival, but when I tried to press him on it he rowed back very carefully. I've now done him, Sinton, Allen, and Murray, who were all around when Macca and David Bardsley were the big dressing room presences, and all of them have mentioned it, wry smile, and then refused to tell stories. It's old school.

A seriously nice guy, really intelligent, and very decent. I'll try and turn the piece around quickly, really enjoyed chatting to him this afternoon.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 20:05 - Mar 26 with 3484 viewscolinallcars

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:48 - Mar 26 by Noelmc

Brand new Ishoo.

More like “ee ar, bran' noo ishoo”

God, I'm looking forward to hearing that again along with “quarderpaandah” from the burger bloke.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 20:08]
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 23:15 - Mar 26 with 3377 viewsdaveB

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 19:46 - Mar 26 by Northernr

I think the Megson one was another incident, at Loftus Road, maybe on Paul Parker? Barker says it was Paul Lake that broke his leg at Man City, another player also set for England but for horrendous injuries, and says they've talked about it since. Don Howe, our manager, was on Bobby Robson's coaching staff and said he was in the squad. Game before the internationals he broke his leg at Man City. He was very philosophical about it.

He also spoke about the abuse he got from QPR fans, said it could be a harsh club to play for, admitted he was long past his best in his latter years and has come to peace with it. Was very bitter about his departure, remembers that at his final POTY dinner they gave a special trophy to Neil Ruddock for basically keeping the club up, and while he admits that Ruddock was instrumental and brilliant in that period it really stung to be just sort of ushered off after 10 years while Neil Ruddock got a pot for 8 games.

Overall remembers his time fondly. It was a lovely interview. I'll try and turn it around quickly. It was fun to talk through some of his goals, v Liverpool in the FA Cup, v Everton when we hadn't won in months, the chip v Sheff Wed.

I know Brian McCarthy has mentioned this a few times, not liking the modern trend for players telling dressing room tales and stories out of school. Barker was the opposite, clearly didn't like what went on under Ray Harford, particularly the Vinny Jones arrival, but when I tried to press him on it he rowed back very carefully. I've now done him, Sinton, Allen, and Murray, who were all around when Macca and David Bardsley were the big dressing room presences, and all of them have mentioned it, wry smile, and then refused to tell stories. It's old school.

A seriously nice guy, really intelligent, and very decent. I'll try and turn the piece around quickly, really enjoyed chatting to him this afternoon.

The Megson thing was the same game with Parker but didn't realise it wasn't him who did the tackle.

looking forward to this one
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 08:42 - Mar 27 with 3247 viewsFrankRightguard

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 19:46 - Mar 26 by Northernr

Never understood the stick he got. Nothing but fond memories of him. That Liverpool goal in the cup was magic.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:53 - Mar 27 with 3173 viewsStanisgod

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:22 - Mar 26 by BrianMcCarthy

But First...An Apology.

Still waiting for volume two 😜😜

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 11:03 - Mar 27 with 3162 viewsthehat

Thanks Clive - A great listen.

Walking down South Africa Road and my kids buying akutr's is as much part of the match day experience as no water pressure in toilets.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 12:34 - Mar 27 with 3110 viewsFrankRightguard

Listened to part 1 on my morning constitutional. Some really interesting stuff, not least the tracking down of Tommy Nintendo.
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 13:07 - Mar 27 with 3086 viewsdavman

Excellent stuff, Clive and Dave too.

I can't profess to know you or Dave well, but have spoken to you both on a number of occasions and forget Nick London's tongue-in-cheek "Legend" calls, I view the pair of you in that bracket.

Also, good to have it confirmed how quickly Ron and Simon wanted out. They, too, were massive positives in the early Internet days and I have the utmost respect for them. That toxic nature on modern living (is it REALLY just Social Media?) is unacceptable and I am sorry that you all have to put up with that.

Keep going, mate, the Patreon sub is the least I can do for the pair of you.

Thanks.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 14:05 - Mar 27 with 3050 viewsCLAREMAN1995

You contribute a lot more to us than our few dollars/Euros/Pounds give to you Clive I bet.One of the best investments this board has ever made who needs Wall Street .
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 18:23 - Mar 27 with 2914 viewsThe_Beast1976

Look forward to listening to this over the weekend. Still got piles and piles of AKUTRs from the early to mid 90s
History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 10:39 - Mar 28 with 2690 viewsDWQPR

History of AKUTRs - Patreon on 18:23 - Mar 27 by The_Beast1976

Look forward to listening to this over the weekend. Still got piles and piles of AKUTRs from the early to mid 90s

I think I have the honour of being the only person to have had a birthday dedication printed in AKUTR’s on my 50th in April 2016.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024